Southern Methodist University Top Questions

What is the stereotype of students at your school? Is this stereotype accurate?

SMU is said to be Southern Millionaire's University rather than Southern Methodist University. Students are stereotyped as snobby rich kids who all have nice cars. The school is also considered really conservative. I am an example of why this is inaccurate. I have significant scholarships to attend SMU, and I don't even have a car. Most of my friends are in a similar situation. There are quite a few well off students and really nice cars on campus, but they're not the majority. As far as conservatism goes, I'd say we are compared to other schools (UNT, UC Boulder, etc.) but we're nowhere close to some (Texas A&M).

SMU is said to be Southern Millionaire's University rather than Southern Methodist University. Students are stereotyped as snobby rich kids who all have nice cars. The school is also considered really conservative. I am an example of why this is inaccurate. I have significant scholarships to attend SMU, and I don't even have a car. Most of my friends are in a similar situation. There are quite a few well off students and really nice cars on campus, but they're not the majority. As far as conservatism goes, I'd say we are compared to other schools (UNT, UC Boulder, etc.) but we're nowhere close some (Texas A&M).

SMU has a stereotype of good-looking, smart students involved in Greek life, but as someone wise told me while I was applying, this is not the largest percentage of people at SMU. They are just photographed the most for brochures and websites. SMU is truly a campus filled with friendly people. You can't help but be friendly when you're in the middle of such a beautiful campus in a great location.

There's a prevalent stereotype that students at SMU really attend "Southern Millionaires University." While it is true that many students are from well-off households, most students have worked very hard for the opportunity to come here and the education they receive is extensive and powerful. Everyone can find their place here, whether your passion is music, business, Greek life, or even tightrope walking. There's something for everyone!

Derek

There's certainly a stereotype from the outside that SMU really stands for Southern Millionaires University; many believe that the majority of the students here pay their way into and through school because of their family's financial fortunes. Although there are some examples where this is true, it is nowhere near a majority. Most of the students here got in for all the right reasons; solid academics, interesting backgrounds, and a real desire to learn and grow as individuals.

it's a bunch of stuck-up rich kids who aren't aware that the world doesn't revolve around them. they make an art out of buying as many designer bags, shoes, and clothes as they can with their daddys' credit cards.

it's a bunch of stuck-up rich kids who aren't aware that the world doesn't revolve around them. they make an art out of buying as many designer bags, shoes, and clothes as they can with their daddy's credit cards.

The stereotypical SMU student is wealthy, white, well-dressed, and involved in Greek life. While the positive aspects of this stereotype tend to hold true with most students, the negative elements of the stereotype are far less common. Many students at SMU come from affluent families, but you meet very few students who act as if their family's money makes them superior to those who don't come from money. The vast majority of students are down-to-earth and have a very grateful attitude for the lifestyle they get to live. Greek life is prevalent on campus, but mingling between Greeks and non-Greeks is common, and it is no way frowned upon. Many students do dress up for classes, but it is also completely acceptable to wear jeans and shirt.

Maddie

Its like a melting pot, there are a mix of all different stereotypes.

Most people consider SMU as being Southern Miss University, as in girls come here to get married to rich white people, but SMU is NOT!! SMU has some of the smartest people like Gate Scholars, President Scholars and more! Also, most TEXANS consider our football team as being non existent, but they obvisouly haven't seen our plentiful bowls wins! Another stereotype would be that SMU stands for Southern Millionaire Univeristy because only rich people go here. Also, some prospective students get intimidated by the Methodist part of SMU and think there are only Methodist people that go here, but that would be wrong as well because SMU has so many students of different faiths (Jews, Muslims, Hindus, and other faiths). There is also a prayer room at the student center for people pray whenever they want!

Bella

As a private university in the heart of Dallas's wealthiest neighborhood, it goes without saying that the stereotype of SMU students is that of super privileged rich kids who live off their parents money. While this may apply to some students, it certainly does not apply to all. Most of the students are on scholarships or financial aid and study intense courses. Although the school does revolve around Greek life, everyone has higher intellectual capacities than the stereotype assumes.

The biggest stereotype is that most students are involved in sororities and fraternities. While it is true that a large number of students are involved in greek life, they comprise a third of the student body.

I think that SMU has some of the strongest and most unfair stereotypes that I have ever seen. I was so scared when I was a prospective student and even when I first put down my deposit, however I found the stereotypes to be very much untrue! 1. Southern Millionares University - Well just off the bat this is silly. We have one of the most geographically diverse schools in the country with people from all over the country. About half of the school is from Texas, but over a quarter of the population is from California! Moreover, not everyone is the son or daughter of an oil baron haha. All different socioeconomic backgrounds are represented here. 2. Unfriendly/pretentious people I think people on my tours are always struck by how insanely friendly this campus is! Everyone says hello to everyone and - as a whole - SMU students are a very outgoing, social bunch and want to meet people. I have never encountered anything in the least bit resembling this stereotype and I feel like this place is truly my home 3. Party school/drug or alcohol problem I don't really know where this one came from. There is of course an element at every school in the country that does engage in that sort of behavior, but SMU definitely doesn't have a larger group than anyone else! There's so much to do here other than party because we're in the middle of Dallas - you can literally do anything. 4. Dominated by fraternities/sororities While we do have a number of Greek organizations I feel that I can say as a member of one that it doesn't define our campus. Almost all of us in fraternities/sororities are involved in tons of other stuff on campus and our greek organization is just one thing. Another important thing there is that we do deferred recruitment here. So, you have all first semester to adjust to college, find your friends, and figure out if going Greek is right for you.