Southern Methodist University Top Questions

When you step off campus what do you see?

SMU is so close to Dallas that it's technically urban, but it feels to me more like a small town. There's not much within walking distance without crossing over a busy highway. And the bookstore is located over that way-- not technically on campus, which is kind of weird. But within walking distance there's a 7-11, a couple of banks, Chick-Fil-A, a taco shop, a nail place, a frozen yogurt store, a healthy foods store, and a spirit shop. Farther away by the bookstore there's a CVS, La Madeleine, and a Starbucks. It's pretty convenient, but at night the lights flash yellow, which shows how small town it can get in the immediate area. There's a high school and elementary school close-by, so they sometimes flood the Chick-Fil-A in the afternoon, but other than that, we as students don't really interact much with the surrounding Highland Park people. When students go farther off campus, they drive to the nearby mall (Northpark) or cute little shopping areas that are just a stone's throw away with tons of great places to get food. On the weekends, people love to go into Dallas more for parties and eating out.

When you get off of campus, you get to North Park Mall, the Outlet stores, Whole Foods, Hillcrest Stores, and lots of restaurants!!!