Ashland, OR
Southern Oregon University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Southern Oregon University

Jonah

During my first year of college, I have noticed that there are many different social groups and all have a wide variety of interests.

The biggest piece of advice that I would want to give myself as a high school senior is to take a college writing class in high school. Writing papers and essays in college is a lot different than in high school and I was definately not prepared for this level of writing. I would tell myself that I need to pay more attention in English classes and show more interest in my writing. Thinking outside of the box does not come natural to me, so writing in depth is not easy. Taking a creative writing or even any writing class would have prepared me more for college.

I feel like the professors all have the same political outlook. The city of Ashland is very liberal, so it seems that the professors teaching at the University are all similar. There is a wide spectrum of students attending the college, but I haven't noticed the same with the professors. However, this is only my second term as a college students, so I haven't had many different professors as of yet!

Joseph

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a highschool senior, I would have told myself that things would be okay - that in the time from then until now, how I'd learn to become my own best friend and learn to face the challenges which had in the past, crippled me. I would say, "keep your head up"; I'd probably pat myself on the back too. I might mention the name of a few girls to steer clear of and a few other people to give a chance without passing judgement. I would say to myself that it would be okay not to know what I was doing with my life just yet, and that as long as I tried hard at what I did and found a safe place to collect my thoughts at the end of the day, that things would end up alright - and how I'd might even discover a new passion! I would remind myself to be curteous to others along my way and to be open to the many possibilities that I would confront on my journey to the West Coast and on my path of self discovery.

I wish that I had known that there would be nice people on campus to be friends with. It would have saved me a lot of time being in my head trying to sort out my problems. I wish that I would have known that there would be a lot of opportunity to jump into higher level classes if I had done research on my own prior to enrollment. The last thing that I wish to have known was that there would be free tickets for students to see music concerts. There are worldclass performances held often at this university

The type of person that should attend this school is someone who is strong willed, eager to learn, open to new possibilities, and comfortable in small class settings where discussions and group participation are often encouraged. With the class and overall size of this university, there lies a lot of potential for extreme learning opportunities and collaborative creative rub off. This liberal arts university is growing fast, and with the recent accredidation for the new, "Oregon Center for the Arts", interdisciplinary crossovers have become common place . With these endless possibilities, It's up to you for where you take it.

Asela
Tell us about the sports scene on campus.

Tell us about the sports scene on campus.

I don't really pay attention to sports, but I think SOU has a good sports scene. They have a really strong football team and great team spirit.

Why did you decide to go to this school?

I want to go to school where they have a strong writing program. SOU is one of them. I love the town and their art programs. It is also close to home, so I don't feel too alone and insecure.

Tell us about your professors.

They seem to be intimidating in the beginning of the term, one of them comes off as crazy. However, they are engaging and funny once I got to know them.

What are your classes like?

My classes are challenging, but I enjoy them.

I don't drink. Will it be hard for me to go to parties?

It depends on who I'm hanging with. If I'm surrounded by friends who understands that I don't drink, I don't think it'll be hard for me. However, if I do face this situation, I think it won't be hard for me to go to parties because I'm not interested in going to parties, especially parties involving alcohol.

Enjolie

This school is beautiful. Some of the buildings are old, but they remodel on the inside and keep a sense of timeless culture on the outside. Each teacher they hire are mostly excellent. Instructures care about how you are doing. I have found in other schools that the envirnment was unwelcoming and distant. I find none of that in this college. I feel I am free to make mistakes, and then turn around and use my mistakes to gain greater knowledge.

I would tell myself to learn how to really study! So many things happen in college: financial responsabilities, study techniques, communting, and being resourceful. I believe that high school prepares us for the acedemics yet not for the social changes. I would tell myself to pay more attention to what my parents said, and trust that the teachers want you to ask more questions in class. Inquisitiveness is not a bad thing! I would also try and tell myself that you will get through it; day by day if you have to! That every effort and mistake counts for something and that with faith you can learn what you always thought was out of limits.

Poeple who attend this school better be hard working, open minded, and creative.

Madeline

It's very local - most students are from the surrounding area. It's very culturally diverse and environmentally friendly. I chose the school because it was the only 4-year university within four hours of my house, but I put in the effort to get to know the professors, and it really paid off in terms of career advise and getting the most out of my classes.

I would tell myself that the college experience is what you make of it, and so putting in the effort to do the work well really pays off. Don't worry so much about the social life - friends come and go, the college transcript is forever. It isn't about proving yourself, it's about learning and gaining experience and professional connections so when you go out into the "real" world, you're prepared for whatever it may throw at you. Most of all, believe in yourself. Self-confidence is the key to unlocking the real benefits of a college education.

A lot of the students are there because they need a degree to get a job - not because they care about the work. That attitude is very pervasive and tends to undermine one's academic efforts.

Chelsea

Take your time, before you know it, it will all be over. You will be looking back upon your high school life and wondering where it all went so fast. Soon you will be packing your bags and heading off to a whole new environment, a place where you will not have your parents their to lean on for support. Save up your allowance, for later you will be wishing that you had some of it to pay off your future tuition. Be smart, make decisions that will help your cause; and most of all, do not take it all for granted.

I wish like many other college students before me, that I had saved up for college. I took the previous time that I had for granted. I also wish that I had applied for more scholarships. I applied to at least forty of them, yet was not awarded any. I have a great financial need, so the years to come will truly be a challenge. It seems though that scholarships are searching for only the best of the best, yet I still strive to accomplish my goal of at least recieving one scholarship that I have applied for.

There are many different types of people in the world, from the outgoing to the more introverted. There can never be a certain type of person that should attend this school. The advice that I can offer though, is that each student must work efficiently and strive within their class environment. We each may be differing in some aspects, but we all still have our goals; to graduate and obtain the asparations that we wish to have within our lives. So I say to each of you, take the risk, work hard, and never give up.

Cassie

Southern Oregon University is a place to find and explore your creativity, individuality, and ingenuity.

I would tell myself not to be scared about the transition from high school to college. There are so many opportunities in college and there are individals to assist you with anything you need help with. I would have also told myself to go out an volunteer more so I had an idea of what I wanted to do in college. I thought I wanted to be a nurse so I volunteered at a hospital my senior year. That assisted me with knowing I didn't want to be a nurse. In hindsight I should have had more variety with where I volunteered. I would finally tell myself to take advantage of every opportunity in college to learn and grow as a student and as an individual. Don't be afraid of upperclassmen or instructors. Each individual has a different background than I do and you can learn so much from their backgrounds. Overall I would tell myself to listen, explore, adventure, learn, and grow.

I wish I would have known that the SOSA scholarship application deadline was in March. Pay attention to deadlines =!

Julie

If I could tell myself anything, I would tell myself to have a good mix of fun and studying. When I first started my college experience I just wanted to have fun. I didn't leave enough time for my studies. So now, here I am six years after graduating high school, still trying to finish my bachelors degree.

I wish I had known if I could complete my degree fully online.

A very wide range of people should attend this school. It is very welcoming and accepting of everyone and their situations.

rachel

I haven’t attended many schools to really good a good comparison, but from my observations sports aren’t a major focus here. We have teams but its nothing compared to colleges like UCLA.

Living primarily with my homeschool teacher and only attending campus course for art classes, I didn’t really get the full high school experience. I think that was a good thing. Between losing a friend every year, and mental health concerned I am so proud that I graduated and with a decent GPA. My advice to myself would be: 1. Work first play latter. Keep to our schedule, fallow it. Don’t let cute people distract us from what we are here for; getting our degree. No one is worth sabotaging our success over.2. Don’t let the non believes get you down. People may not always believe in your capabilities, but we know what we are capable of. Its time to turn people’s cannots and will nots in to dids, and dones. 3. We can do this! Don’t give up, and know that there will be in our future people that support us and our goals, you just have to wait for them.

The worst thing I can think of that effects me is that the food is expensive and their meal plans are less than attractive, Despite how good the food is.

Southern Oregon University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.