Ashland, OR
Southern Oregon University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Southern Oregon University

Savel

Southern Oregon University has a really warm and friendly learning environment; I always make new friends in every class I've had.

Graduating from high school can be incredibly freeing, so freeing it can be intoxicating. That is awesome! Let this be the wonderful, expansive time that it is! Many people move out of their homes for the first time when they graduate high school. The temptation is great to party and carouse and be social, to stay up late - all stuff you should be doing. While you are young with few commitments is a perfect time to explore the world. But be honest with yourself - would you prefer to be working or traveling rather than going to college? If the answer is yes then possibly a year off before university would be a good idea. College is expensive and there is no point in attending if you are just going to party and not go to class. If you do feel ready for college, there is no reason you cannot be a successful student while enjoying the new freedoms of being away from home. Create study time daily rather than just the night before an exam. Studying frequently will ensure that you will always have time to take a break to hang out with friends.

The different advising bodies (academic, financial) are not in good communication with one another. Never assume everything is taken care of! Always go back and check.

Madeline

Don't expect to make friends right away, especially since you are different - younger, intellectually gifted, diagnosed with learning disabilities. It will be hard socially and easy academically, and upper-division courses won't change that much. Don't judge professors right away, some of the ones you end up liking best are the ones you start out hating most. Most of all, don't be afraid to speak out. No one knows what you're thinking unless you tell them.

I'm the top student in most of my classes. Not much of an achievement, since I'm one of the few who cares enough to do the work.

Amber

I loved my school for the reason that they kept all Ed majors together in a cohart and so the last two years of school I was in classes with people who I was most comfortable around and we have some of the greatest discussions and it was really enriching and impacting. I couldn't of asked for a better school setting.

Knowing what I know now about college life and making the transition, I would tell myself to slow down and have a little more fun. For me, the first two years of college were so sports orientated that I didn’t have time to worry about my academics. I have always known that I wanted to be a teacher so I knew the exact classes I wanted/needed to take and sports was such a great stress reliever. It gave me that couple hours a day to get away from reading, homework, and projects and I just got to channel all my energy in to being an athlete. I was really uptight about school and sports that I never got to experience the “college life”. I went in already knowing what I wanted to do and focused and pulled through in four years got my Bachelor’s Degree and now it’s like I was on cruise control and I missed everything. Needing to have a happy medium balance of a social life on top of sports and academics would have made college more fullfilling for me.

The most frustrating thing that I ever experienced at my school was the fact that you would always have to schedule an appointpoint with your professors. It was really aggravating because I lived 40 minutes away from school and sometimes I didn't want to sit around and wait for hours or have to drive all the way back to campus on my day off. I was tight on money and was always on a a "gas crunch" stretching it to the last mile.

Rachael

My classmates are best described as a melting pot.

My classmates are best described as a melting pot.

I would tell myself to get the most obnoxious classes out of the way so you can enjoy your last two years taking classes that you are interested in. Spent time studying instead of socializing, and accept everyone for who they are.

Someone who is artistic, likes small classes, open minded. Someone who likes college professors who are personal and interested in talking with you about your grades and getting to know you.

Shawna

Beginning college has made me wish I had done a few things differently my senior year but the best advice I would give myself, would be to pay attention in all of my classes and not slack off on anything. No matter how insignificant or useless the class and the lessons being taught may seem, you will use almost everything at a later time and it will serve as a base for the new things you will learn your first year in college. Not paying attention during that final year of high school and having the whole summer off will cause you to forget things and playing catch up, while others who payed attention breeze through it, is no fun. Neglecting your classes and homework will ultimately come back to haunt you and make things much harder on you. Doing well in high school will benefit you more than you can imagine and will have you on the right path to success during your first year of college.

Erica

my fellow classmates at SOU and Rogue Community college are friendly and ready to learn.

If I had the chance to go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior I would have much to share. I would let myself know that it is ok if you don't go directly through college in 4years. If you have to take time off to work so you can pay for school, it is ok; it doesn't make you less of a student. I would also stress the importance of selecting a workload you know you can handle; Its better to take a couple classes at a time that way you can manage your life, your job, and your school work all at the same time. Since graduating high school 7 years ago I have had to juggle school, money issues (both for me personally and issues involving sending money home to help my family), and the stresses of school. But I would also congratuate myself on some of the choices i made before i came to college, like getting my CNA license; such decisions have helped me immensely in my journey so far.

The best thing about my schools is the small class sizes; they really allow you to get to know your professors and them to know you.

Courtney

My school is best known for being a small, quaint campus in the city of Ashland. Surrounded by mountains, the environment and location is a great place to study and learn.

I would tell myself to take my time picking a school. I should have applied to more than one state school--knowing that I wouldn't attend the private universities I applied to. I would tell myself that it isn't all it's cracked up to be. Being so far away from home isn't always fun. When I need my mom, she's 300 miles away. Most of all, I'd tell myself that I didn't need to know everything. Not everything has to always be planned out. In the end, the only thing that matters is your at a school that makes you happy and you feel comfortable at.

People who like the city life wouldn't enjoy Ashland. Ashland is more for the nature-loving student. The campus is surrounded with big trees all around. A person who would feel more comfortable in a large classroom setting wouldn't love SOU. SOU has small classes with a small student to teacher ratio.

casha

One thing is certain; I would tell myself that the sky is the limit and you are capable of achieving anything if you try your hardest. As a highschool senior; I struggled with feelings of inferiority, not being good enough, and comparing myself to those around me. I would tell myself to not be scared because college is going to be the best time of my life. It is going to be a time to really find my identity and where I fit in in this world. A time for me to figure out my interests and what I would like to do with my life. And the last thing I would tell myself is to not be scared and to embrace this new environment that I am going to be living in and learning in for the next four years.

Southern Oregon University is a school open to all different types of students. The environment at SOU is so diverse that anyone is welcome and I'm sure he or she will have the time of his or her life. It is important that students be willing and ready to learn and expand their knowledge in subjects they are most interested in. I had a great experience at SOU and I am sure that any incoming student would feel the same way.

It is kind of hard to know what kind of person shouldn't attend Southern Oregon University because I feel that everyone is capable of attending this university. I have met people that didn't want to be in college in the first place and throughout the year, they began to love the school and schol itself. It really does grow on you. I believe anyone who is interested in a quality education should attend SOU.

My classmates are diverse, intellectually, ethnically and educationally but most are kind and helpful.

Southern Oregon University is a small school but it is very focused on the students and making their dreams a reality, and the city is a small, safe place to hang out.

I would tell myself as a high school senior that college is at times challenging, but as long as I don't lose sight of what I want to make of myself, it is never as difficult as I think. I would tell myself about the amazing friends I have made and how they have been such a huge influence on my life. I would remind myself to never let another person compromise my values and beliefs. I would tell myself that the future is limitless as long as I am willing to try to make the future I have always dreamed of. College is not difficult. As long as I have good friends the transistion is not hard. Living alone is odd, but gives a sense of independance that never would have been felt at home. I would tell myself that I made the right choice.

Heather

This school offers professors that teach in the field that I am studying, and help myself to get a better understanding of the field.

If I was able to give myself advice as a high school senior, I would stress the importantance of getting college done right away. Waiting until everything falls into place before going back to college sounds great in theory, but I think that it has only held me back from my dream longer. I would also stress the importance of not worrying what others are thinking, and how I should act. I had a certain view point of college in High School from what I had seen in movies about college. It's not all about the parties, people in college for the most part are serious about furthering their education, and the immaturity in High School is frowned upon and no longer seen as funny, which I'm thankful for. I would also stress that college is not as scary as I made it seem in high school and that my dreams are possible.

I don't think there is a specific type of person for this school. I think Southern Oregon University offers something for everyone with many diverse fields of study. I recommend this campus to everyone, the faculty are nice and are able to offer more insight into their area of study then any campus I have been to, and are will to provide additional help if you are having trouble understanding something.

Southern Oregon University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.