Ashland, OR
Southern Oregon University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Southern Oregon University

Jackson

The town of Ashland is considered slightly more liberal than most Oregon towns, and, therefore, the university shares the same reputation. As for stereotypes, I haven't run into any. The student body at SOU doesn't reinforce social cliques, and stereotypes are kept at a minimum really.

I love this school. SOU is a small school with big opportunities to learn and have fun. The school is expanding every year! Ashland is a quaint town full of friendly people. Although we may not be well recognized we have some great sports, and even greater leaders here on campus. The school pride needs some work, but that is why it is so important to get enthusiastic freshman every year to boost up the spirit. Peole tend to think, "why SOU?' I always respond, "why not SOU?" "SOU is freaking great!" We are a going green and have moved to trayless dining. Small changes like this are happening in hopes to improve our school for future students. If you get involved with leadership at this school you won't regret it. I, myself am a part of our school's RHA. A wonderful experience that I am proud to have had. We have a beautiful library,campus, and community. Keep your mind open, SOU may just surprise you!

Where is the best place to get work done on campus?

They have study rooms that are great for group sessions, but also for individual work. The library stays open 24 hrs during the week before finals so often students will camp out in the study rooms.

What are the most popular classes offered?

The theatre classes are hard to get into. The sciences classes are fairly large as well. The sociology classes a popular too. With such a variation of students and classes the popularity changes each term.

Tell us about your professors.

I love my professors! They are all so helpful. I was sick with mono and missed my midterms. My professors let me wait until I had a full recovery to take the exams.

Bunk your beds, keep an open mind and learn to balance your social life with your studies.

What are some hot-button issues on campus?

Sexuality, science, and theatre......none of which are really issues just topics of discussion.

Describe your school to someone who's never heard of it.

SOU is a small liberal arts school. We have an open and honest community on campus. The professors work hard to make you the best at whatever you choose to pursue. You will make friends at this school that last a lifetime. It is, in simple terms, fantastic.

Describe the dorms.

They hate for you to call them dorms here. The word dorm feels cold and isolated. They want students to feel at home here. Although the rooms aren't huge when you bunk the beds it opens up a lot of room for activities.

What's the Greek scene like?

Back in the day we used to have a greek system. But the parties got out of control and we gained a reputation as the #1 party school on the west coast. So, in turn, the shut it down.

What's the dating scene like?

There is a lot of dating but the focus here is on education not marriage. So everything is casual, but isn't that what makes it fun?

Describe the best and worst parts of the social scene on campus.

There are a lot of things to keep people busy and students get really involved. There is student art everywhere. Sadly though, weed is a pretty big thing in Ashland. Some students smoke but a lot of them don't.

Sure there are some hippies and stoner, but there are also some brilliant students. People also think parties are super important here. Even though they aren't.

Why did you decide to go to this school?

I connected strongly with this school. I loved it from the second I stepped foot on campus. I also picked it for it's size and the personal education I would get. I really like the science department and don't regret my decision for a second.

What do students complain about most?

Students never really complain. If they do then it's because of the cold weather, and that's because they are from California!

Every year in January we have a campus wide event called the Winter Ball. The theme changes each year and so does the message the theme is suppose to send. Whether it's to love your body or be yourself, the theme is meant to inspire. This years theme is masquer-rave!

Tell us about the food and dining options.

Cascade is where the dining hall is. The food is pretty good and the salads are fantastic. There are any options for vegitarians and vegans, but also for everyone. It is a buffet so eat as much as you'd like!

The campus is small. We have some new building and are about to break ground on a new residence hall. Te library is beautiful and has a tile mosaic that was ship in from italy by an artist who numbered the back of the tiles. The art students were to draw it out and number accorsingly and then places the tiles in order. Similar to a paint by number. Britt Hall was the original campus building. In fact, when the school was founded it was the only building.

Yeah there are a lot of hippies and theatre is a huge part of the culture. But people don't realize there is a lot more to the school.

When you step off campus what do you see?

The town surrounds the campus. When you walk around there are a lot of older houses and white fencess. Sort of a "cookie-cutter" theme. You see students from all age groups laughing and enjoying a wonderful day in Ashland.

Describe a day on campus you'll never forget.

There was a closed minded preacher on a chair yelling in the courtyard of our student union building. It was a battle between our gay community and this man. There was a huge crowd of students gathered around and a lot of yelling. This happens every now and then but still, I will never forget how hard I was laughing.

Describe a typical weekend.

It's hard to describe a typical weekend. There is such a variety of students it's hard to narrow it down. For me a typical weekend would either be going out with friends, going to the movies, or attending a program on campus like a dance or something similar.

Tell us about the sports scene on campus.

Sports aren't a huge thing here. They are growing though. Attendence to events are rising and our teams have been doing great. I work in the athletic department so I am a pretty good insider for anyone with questions.

The first thing people notice is how small it is. But once they see the beautiful campus and community, size becomes meaningless.

What are your classes like?

My classes are great! They are just the right size! I get the one-on-one education I really need to understand my studies.

There is always something to do at SOU. You don't have to go to the party houses on a Saturday night to have a good time. There are places like Yogurt Hut that provide activites for students. Often there are dances or programs put on by different groups on campus. Everything is in walking distance so if you randomely feel like going to the movies it's a five minute walk. There will always be something to do, even in this smal of a town, if you really want there to be. If you don't want to leave the dorms often the floors become like families and watch movies, play games, or just hang out together. It's a delightful place to be, even when you're bored.

This is a very open minded school. Everyone is excepted for who they are. In fact, the queer resource center is a huge part of our school. They throw dances and activities for the whole campus to join. Social groups are almost don't exist. Everyone hangs with everyone. The students here are casual, even the "preps" are relaxed and non-judgemental. There are, like many schools, activist groups on campus. Politics isn't an issue at SOU. All students accept the fact that not everyone has the same views. A majority of the students are from California, but none seem to fit the stereotype. All in all, the students are "chill".

Academics here are wonderful. Ther professors know your name and are always willing to help. The campus is full of small groups that focus on topics and study. Some of the staff will often be seen throwing a frisbee on the grass with students. SOU is geared towards both getting a job, and having the knowledge to keep. My favorite class is chemistry because Professor Chapman gives a wonderful lecture, and if your having issues he never makes you feel ashamed for it. I'm pre-med which is a lot of work. SOU gives me the resources I need to be successful in everything I take on.

When people see our school and where it's located they think of the Shakespeare Festival, hippies, and parties. Our school isn't just about theatre and partying, there is a great one-on-one interaction between professors and students in all departments, and a lot of success in the science department.

Dont pack as much. I thought i needed so much for school, but in reality i ended up sending most of it, or taking most of it, back home. Dont procrastinate. I would spend time doing what i wanted to do and then do my homework into the little hours of the night, but if i had just sat down and did my work i would have had more time to myself. To be myself. Others thought me quiet and to myself because i didnt really make an effort to speak up and show my true personality those first weeks. Have fun. Those fun times go by and the memories I could have had slipped away because i chose to procrastinate and have no time for it.

I love that Ashland is a small town; sunny, but it is most beautiful when it snows. The school is also very beautiful and green. It is so easy to get to one side of the school and then to the other in ten minutes; love that.

I would say that enviomentally friendly kids do come to our school but any and all are welcome at SOU. The school also has fantastic majors; the most popular major being the theatre major. With the Oregon Shakespeare theatre down the street it brings many theatre kids to our school.

aaron

do not go to comunity college. it was a waste of time , spend the extra money and dont go to a school that will leave you with a question of why did i spend money and have nothing from it

any one should go to SOU its artistic and serious. its business in the front and party in the back.

Windy

College is a big step. Going back I would make myself learn how to study. Sure moving away from home is tough, and being on your own is a completely new concept; but dealing with all that AND being completely overwhelmed with school could ruin someone. The work load for college courses is pleantiful, and your schedule can get tangled so easily. Procrastination often causes trouble for students also; but each lecture session presents so much information that cramming for tests and quizes won't cut it anymore. Making friends is easy, and settling in can be a little fun. Other than the academic transition, any advice would come naturally for each event as it presents itself.

Ashland is a small quiet community. Most students here are serious about their studies; however everyone makes time for friends and fun. Students looking to attend need to be alright with having to conjure their own fun and activities. Most students here are very friendly and polite to most everyone. SOU has a faily tight nit student body so the social, outgoing tpye fit in well.

KimCruz

My college experience has allowed me to grow into the person I am today, without rushing me to grow up. I have learned the value of an education does not depend on how big or small the school you attend is, nor is it dependent on the price you pay. The value of an education comes from within you, the learner. If you choose to work hard and utilize all the resources at your disposal you will go far, however if you do not do this, it does not matter where you study or how long you study, you will not get as far as you hoped. That is the cold hard truth. I can pay thousands of dollars for an education but if I don’t push myself to learn I will be wasting my money. Many institutions expect 18 year olds to turn into adults overnight. This is not realistic and I strongly recommend each individual person takes as long as they need to become exactly who THEY want to be, not who the institution tells them to be. This is what my college experience has taught me.

The small class size is definitly the best part of this school. Almost all of my classes have less than 25 students. This is really nice because it really allows you to talk to your teachers on a personal level, a few of my teachers prefer to be called by their first name. Also the small class size allows you to utilize the schools resources. The library for example has plenty of space and is never too full to work in.

The worst thing about Southern Oregon University is how small it is. This is good for many people but on the other hand, more students end up hating the school. Many students come here thinking a small school is gonna be right for them but then find out once they are here that there isn't enough to do to keep them busy. To make it simple it gets boring in this small town.

Andrea

Since this is a small school, students are able to get to know all the faculty members in their major's department. Also, Southern Oregon has a wonderful theatre department unlike any other in the United States. We are located in Ashland, OR, home of the Oregon Shakespear Festival where people from all over come to see our wonderful plays.

I have learned a lot about myself and about how I can better myself to prepare for the future. I've enjoyed this quiet little town but I've realized that this isn't the kind of town I would want to live in for the rest of my life. I think it is important to try different things in order to truely know what you want in the long run. I have also learned who my real friends are and who's willing to stick by my side for years to come. This has been one the most enriching experiences I have ever had and I will continue to utilize all of my skills learned here for the rest of my life.

People who learn better in small class environments. Also anyone with interest in working/majoring in theatre should attend this school. Since there is a small student body most of which are undergraduates), you will be able to participate and have major roles in the school plays unlike at bigger schools.

mitra

i have gotten a better sense of myself from the classes i haven taken, from the interaction with other students and my professors. my experience has taught me that there are many sides to a story or perspectives and the important thing is to look at each angle and make an educated conclusion based off of my personal experience and research. I have learned more about what I enjoy and can not possibly tolerate in school, work and life. Many of my classes have taught me to think about different issues and look at the evidence and to create my own opinion. I feel attending college has enriched my self-identity and furthered my understanding of my own potential and hard work in college classes. I have learned persistence, integrity and patience from attending college and undergoing economic hardships.

Abby

My college experience has had its ups and downs, as all experiences do. The beginning was rough, and I had no idea where to look for what I wanted to do and more importantly who I want to be as a person. I fell in with a crowd that did not fit my interests and became a follower, drowning in my own life because I was so involved in other peoples chaos. I found the Women's Studies and Women's Resource Center shortly after my arrival at Southern Oregon University and fell in love with some of the teachers and opportunities for classes. I am now well on my way to finishing my Women's Studies minor, which is very valuable to me because it is the thing I am most passionate about. Aside from my scholastic college experience, I have really come into the person that I feel like I want to be. Of course I will learn a great deal more in my lifetime, but I have become more clear in the path I want to take, the people I want to surround myself with, and the person I am so happy to be.

The worst thing about my school so far is that Women's Studies is not a major, and that is what I am most passionate about. There is a great Women's Studies program and teachers but no major. Sometimes the organization of the administration concerning housing, financial aid, money, etc, is not good either. They are not helpful in finding out what is really important to know.

The most frustrating thing is probably the same as the worst thing about my school. No Women's Studies minor and not good organization in the offices does not make for happy students all the time.

Adreana

Honestly and truthfully out this college experience so far I gained maturity and time management. In high school I was the type of student that procrastinated alot, I got the work done in the end but had to rush . In college I learned that when you get an assignment complete it as soon as you get it Dont hold off until later and later when it cant be done to the best of your ability. When you do that it allows your other work to pile up on you and that just makes it more harder for you. I started to bring my old habits from high school to college and then changed up my ways when I realized that college is not a joke, it's a serious setting, you must be able to sacrifice your social life for studying and homework. You must be able to say to yourself if I party tonight I know Im not going to be able to finish my work, so I must stay home and do what I have to do. College life is the best opportunity that would put you to where you need to be in life.

Southern Oregon University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.