Ashland, OR
Southern Oregon University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Southern Oregon University

Shakeya

I attend college at Vatterott Career College and my experience there has been worthwhile. Im in the medical assistant program and I believe for a $20,000 program every penny being paid will be WORTH it. Im doing something I love and there's nothing like staying interested in any career you choose, especially hands on. I recently started in June and it wasnt easy trying to find the right college. Im a mother of two so I had to find something that fits into college-life and motherhood. Vatterott provided me with an experience like no other and I learn something new everyday. Ive already learned pharmacology, medical office basics, vital signs, and medical terminology in just five months. My program offers more than just the program itself I still have more skills to come like phlebotomy and more. It has been valuable to attend because Im getting more than what I expected including my experience, the exceptional teachers, and learning environment. I wouldnt trade my college experience at Vatterott for anything in the world. I couldnt have chosen another direction to go in. This is my experience and what Ive gotten out of college so far.

Julia

For me it has given me the freedom with a structured lifestyle. I has been a great growing tool for me personally finding my own freedom and also academically has open my eyes to a whole academic world I would otherwise not have had to privialige to be a part of. I went from being a freshmand straight out of college, to a Resident Assistant my sophomore year, to living in a house off campus with my friends. All of these experiences although very tough and challenging at times have prodded me to grow into the person I am today which is someone I am proud to be.

The close knit community and familiy atmosphere. The adventureous opportunties all around us!

Someone who is looking for a city like life style. This is a small town small campus feeling. If you want to go clubbing every weekend this isn't the campus for you. If you like heat all the time this also is not the campus for you.

Krystal

I have never attneded any college or university, but I would lve to. Altogehter I have 5 other siblings, although im the youngest. At the sametime none of them have finished or even tried to further their education and I want to be the first of my family to say that I krystal keshonda mason was the one to do it so that I can help my family with their financial problems.

Tia

I have learned a lot in and out of my classes. I was able to find out who I really was. Moving out on my own was such a valuable experience for me becuase it made me more independent. I have learned how to handle myself better in all situations, and I have learned how to be a sucessful student even without a parent pushing me to do well. I realized that I want to do well on my own, and that I can still succeed in whatever I want on my own.

There is nothing else that I could have known that would have better prepared me. Everything that happened to me this year has made me a stronger and better person.

Someone is wants to have one on one with the professors and have small class sizes. The size of the school of perfect. The size of the town is also small, so someone who likes small towns, or wants to get away. SOU also has a wonderful theater program.

BriAnna

Dear BriAnna, It's just your college-self writing to give you some advice to better prepare yourself than before. I know that you are ready for this transition and you have plenty of support from your parents but there is something you should know, college is really all about YOU. Now, I'm sure that you are somewhat aware of that, but it's not just about doing good in class, it's about being your own parent. Even though you are "still in school", there really is an adult responsibility that is to be had. So my advice to you is to really grow up now, take this seriously because you have been given the best opportunity that few get to experience. This is a time to really shine and find out who *you* really are. I'm proud that you have gotten this far, and I can't wait for the future we earned. Sincerely, BriAnna

SOU is a liberal arts school and is mostly focused in helping the community around and bringing diversity everywhere. I think if you are the person who isn't into diversity as much should probably not stay on campus. I'm not saying that they shouldn't go to SOU because SOU is a great school to go to and gives plenty of opportunities, it's only if a person has a hard time with being involved with diversity and doesn't want to be a part if it.

Off the top of my head, I can't really think of the most frustrating thing about my school. As of January 4th, 2010, it's only my 2nd term at SOU and I still have a lot of getting used to. Although, there is this one class called University Seminar that is required for all fresmen students to take. It counts as a big portion of graduation. It's my least favorite class, but it's a skill building class relating to writing and research which will be very useful in my college career and my furte career.

Alwyn

Beautiful campus setting nestled in the foothills of a mountain ski area and within walking distance of a downtown plaza that serves as a tourist destination with world-calss theater arts and restaurants. SOU sits within an environmentally friendly region with pristine wilderness areas, local parks and trails, nearby lake and numerous outdoor activites. The school is large enough for 5,000 students and small enough for individual attention. The faculty is hands-on and concerned for the overall success of each individual student.

Most high school students don't know what they want to do in life on the day they need to begin applying for college. So, don't worry. The feelings of axiety are normal. The most important thing is to choose a place where you will feel most comfortable pursuing academic and life goals over the next four years. That place should be one in which you will find support, encouragement and assistance that meets your needs. The learning experience should be one in which you will be nurtured and empowered to reach your own potential. And, of course, you should choose an environment in which you will feel most comfortable having fun, meeting new friends for life and opening new doors of opportunity. This special place ought to be considered based upon its merits, not merely the opinions of your friends. Follow your personal passion. Choose a place that is best set up to help you succeed. Whether it is a small campus in a small town or a large campus with myriad options. Tailor your choice in schools to what's best for you and you will have the best opportunity to succeed.

SOU is a family away from home. Contrary to the notion that students are enrollment statistics, SOU provides myriad ways for students to get involved on campus and in the community. Faculty engage, advise and encourage students in a friendly and welcoming way. Students succeed at SOU, regardless of pursuits, precisely because the entire environment, from the geographical layout and scope of the campus, to its caring staff and community are all interested in producing productive concerned citizens.

Lizeth

It is very diverse, everyone is nice, and you can be yourself.

It is very diverse, everyone is nice, and you can be yourself.

To try and pick the best school academically and not based on partying. Its important to feel comfortable and your school.

Loretta

My classmates are very diverse and also very dedicated to what they do.

My classmates are very diverse and also very dedicated to what they do.

If i was able to go back in time and talk to the high school senior version of mysef, I would tell myself to keep up the hard work. Unike many of my friends, I took college level classes my senior year and did quite well in them. I also would've congratulated myself on takng the initiative to do things for myself rather than relying on my parents, because that skill is much needed in college life. The advice I would give myself would be to save more money than I spend. I had an issue with spending money on useless items and not realizing that I should've been saving it for college expenses. Without the financial support of my family, I am realizing how much I can go without. I would tell myself to apply for more scholarships than I could think of, because it would make college life much more enjoyable to not have to constantly be worried about money. The last thing I would tell myself is to keep an open mind.

The background diversity of the students is the best thing about this school. There are people from so many different places with so many different views on life. It's always a learning experience.

Melissa

If I knew what I know now about college life I would tell myself to get more involved. I would tell myself to go to all the activities for new students so that I would know people before even beggining school. I would tell myself to join clubs that are of interest to me. I would tell myself to take honors courses my freshman year so that I could graduate with honors. I would tell myself to be more outgoing and friendly. I would tell myself to explore the campus and explore the town in my free time and to not be afraid to ask questions. I would tell myself to apply for a job on campus, because there are only a few and they offer very flexible hours and it is good experience. I would tell myself to look more into the opportunities the campus has to offer. I would tell myself to choose a place and volunteer freshman year to make a difference, get involved, and gain practical experience.

i do not like the fact that most of the classes are lecture classes.

A person who enjoys small towns where everything is within walking distance would be a good fit for Ashland. Someone who is looking for a small college that has a lot to offer would enjoy SOU. A person who loves to be outdoors would enjoy Ashland, as well as a person who enjoys shopping.

Southern Oregon University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.