Ashland, OR
Southern Oregon University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Southern Oregon University

Kaitlyn

University classes are much harder than community college classes, even when taken simultaneously with high school. Look into majors before settling with one. Pre- Medicine is extremely involved and difficult. Look into the success rates of students in the medical field. Make sure you truely have a passion for you major before you go to school and choose your courses because they will be more difficult than expected and it will be easier to get through if you love what you are studying. Research other majors, even ones that seem odd or uninteresting. Don't go for what you think will make your parents proud, do what will make you happy. College is really the beginning of coming into your own. Living on your own is slightly difficult at first, but don't be afraid of going up to people and introducing yourself, they will be there for you later. Create a bond with your roommate early, the stress of college is enough without the addition of roommate issues. Get to know the people on your floor, form study groups, get out and enjoy life and what college has to offer you.

It would have been helpful to know more about how the campus runs and how certain things work. For example, the meal plan was really difficult to understand and needed to be explained to me (and many others) several times over to finally be able to use it without confusion. Another thing is tuition and the other small fees that are billed, those should be explained more, like why they are how much they are and why they are being charged.

The school website is really hard to navigate . When something is typed into the search bar, chances are what comes up is not what was needed. Going through the various buttons and drop downs takes a long time to get to what you need, and it is even more inconvinient to try to call and ask because being on hold takes up a lot of time also.

Katherine

Most people are incredibly passionate, outrageously talented, remarkably kind, and entirely entertaining.

Katy, do not, I repeat, do not slack off in your Senior year classes. You'll pass no matter what, but that is information that is helpful later on in your educational career! Make a list of everything you need and want, so you can avoid having things shipped to you from California. Make and keep a budget; it's easy to get carried away and overspend, especially with a card instead of cash. Don't feel awkward saying hello to people! They are almost definitely going to be lovely, kind folks and loneliness is overrated. Remember to check if there is anything you need to do that you might not be aware of (i.e. student account, meal plan activation, etc.). When it is cold, run the engine of the Bug for a few minutes so you do not break down on your way home for the holidays. Above all, approach everything with an open mind and invest yourself in what you do!

The lack of healthy choices in the vending machines is a big problem for me. I, and many people I know, have dietary restrictions. In order to get a snack that is not chips or candy, we have to buy things off-campus, which takes a huge chunk out of our already tight budgets. Simply adding gluten-free or vegan choices into the mix seems simple, but because everything is provided by an outside company, we are stuck with what is currently offered.

Michelle

It takes time to get used to one's fellow college students. There are so many different types of people that are not so easily come by in high school. Age and race differences was just the beginning. But with an open mind these wonderfully unique people accepted me as one of their own. My classmates are so helpful and interesting. Most of them know how make life fun without taking it overboard, but just barely.

If I had only one major vice in my senior year of high school, it would have been my fear. I was afraid of change, mostly, but also of unacceptance. What if I worked my very hardest on that essay, only for my teacher to tell me it was terrible? Even though I love my new friends, I shouldn't hang out with them often because they might not like me. I worried too much about what other people thought about me that I didn't pay any attention to what I thought about me! This severely hindered me in college applications and throughout my first term. If the Michelle of that not-so-distant past were to read this, I would tell her to unleash that adventurous spirit buried deep inside. It will not get you into as much trouble as you think. And do not even CONDSIDER putting off applying for scholarships! They really make all the difference for one as frugal as you. While time travel may be impossible at the moment, I am glad that I learned these things late than not at all.

The most frustrating thing about my school is that the dorm building I live in is really old. Not even the beautiful old, just old. The solid brick walls do not allow for cell phone reception in most areas, and it is at the very edge of campus so it is along walk between classes.

Geraldine

I would advise myself to take it very seriously and to find a way to stay in school continuously to obtain my bachelor's degree. Taking close to 10 years inbetween receiving my associates degree to starting on my bachlor's degree has been quite an adjustment. It is much easier to do when you can stay in school full-time and not have to work a full-time job or care for children while attending school. I would remind my younger self that I am a role model for my children and having to work, take care of them and attend school means that my entire focus is not always where it should be. I would also advise myself to save all the money I could because at some point you have to pay your student loans.

It is located in beautiful Ashland and the staff has been one of the best to work with. It also has a great distance learning program that allows me to stay in California to live and work but still attend the college I grew up around.

Someone who wants the experience of a state university but enjoys the feel of a small town. Ashland has great artistic opportunities and is close to some of the most beautiful terrain. It is an opportunity to meet so many different types of people.

As Dorothy Parker worte, "Drink and dance and laugh and lie, Love, the reeling midnight through, for tomorrow we shall die! But, alas, we never do." This quote speaks to me in regard to being able to go back into time and to offer myself some advise about college life with the knowlege I now have. I am a soccer player and play on SOU's soccer team. Someone told me not to base my decision solely on the coach or the sport, but to look carefully at the academics. This was helpful advise. At the time I heard it, but did not fully understand it. Now I understand. Education is and should be the focus. Luckily I made a good decision. I would say to myself that there's only so much preparation you can do in choosing the right school. After that, just let go, relax and trust in the process and keep a positive thought and attitude. Believe that you are in the right place for you and stop worrying. Then you will learn to adapt and adjust and enjoy!

Small campus, small town and small class sizes allowing you to get to know your teachers. Classes are not taught by assistants.

Dorm rooms are very small and the food in the cafeteria is not good some of the time.

Melody

If I had the chance to talk to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself, rather emphatically, not to worry so much about going to college. I spent many nights awake, wondering what my room would look like, whether I would meet anyone new or make any friends, whether the professors would be nice, how it would feel to be living on my own a thousand miles away from home. That energy could have been better spent, because the transition actually felt easy and natural. College has provided me with the opportunity to branch out, to choose wonderful friends, to become fully responsible for myself, and to find interests that really do interest me rather than just looking good on an application. It's easy not to become involved with partying if you don't want to. It's refreshing to be some distance from home and to see how much I love my family and which friends at home are worth keeping. It's exciting to take classes with fascinating material that sharpens my mind and makes me think, for once! So, college-bound self, don't worry. Everything will work out. It'll be amazing.

I wish I had known, as a senior in high school, how much life changes and how quickly once a person leaves home. I've made great friends here, and many of my best friends in high school started to drift away almost immediately. I've become more appreciative of my family, more careful with money, more outgoing. Fortunately, this college is exactly what I expected it to be--better, actually--after just one campus visit before attending.

The website and online processes are messy and often confusing. Often you may want something done but it doesn't work well or at all online (if you can even find the web location to do it). The human touch is what works best here, and all the staff I've talked to are very helpful, but it often takes that extra step of calling or walking to a certain office in order to get things worked out.

Alexandrea

Southern Oregon University is best known for the beautiful campus and the Shakespeare festival during the summertime. I would also say that it is known for the liberal campus and terrible food.

I would make sure that the college really is a perfect fit physically, emotionally and financially. All of those do matter because college is a life experience and not to be happy, and paying to be at that instution really sucks and it will make an effect on the students school-work, social life and overall physical happiness. On top of that all it is dissapointing when your not happy but manage to make friends and are not able to return because of the cost or the unhappiness the student will feel if the college/university is not a perfect fit. My advice is to be picky and then once the student gets there is to get involved as much as possible and make friends. College is really a life long experience so enjoy it, but be safe and smart!!

The worst thing is having different political views on such a liberal campus especially during the '08 Presidential Election and persoally for me the openedness about sex, homosexuals and transgendered people. Not that I am agaisnt that lifestyle but I dont flaunt that I am a heterosexaul and would pefer that homosexuals do the same.

Nita

In order to find the right college, it is important to visit the campus. Simply reading an online description or the opinion of a friend, is not the same as getting a first hand feel for the environment of the college or university. You will be spending atleast a year at the school you choose. If you are a more reserved person, you may not want to go to a big sports school or party school, but you wont know until you actually visit the school. By touring the campus and the community, you will have a better understanding of the people you will be working with, living with and becoming friends with. No matter how fancy a school's reputation might be, it is still important to visit the school, so you'll know if you will be happy there. After all, it will be the new place you call home.

The smaller campus allows for more individual attention in the classroom, and easier access to teachers outside of the classroom. You get more out of your money for your education. In addition, everyone makes new friends very quickly. At SOU you get an amazing educational experience and have fun the whole way.

Every type of person attends SOU. Thearter arts majors, business majors, communications majors, athletic people, artsy people, quiet or loud people. I have seen all types of people attending at SOU and having fun.

Zachary

This campus is welcoming, as are the people.

This campus is welcoming, as are the people.

Start looking at schools early. Know what the school is looking for, and do not aim too high, for in many cases you will regret this, and have to most likely go to your safety school. Also, as many times as you will hear this at school, Get Involved. It makes your time worthwhile.

Artistic, Liberally minded individuals who want an adequate, but not necessarily outstanding undergraduate education. This school excels in the arts, but when it comes to various academic fields, it lacks.

Southern Oregon University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.