Southern Oregon University

« See more reviews of Southern Oregon University

I would tell myself not to be scared about the transition from high school to college. There are so many opportunities in college and there are individals to assist you with anything you need help with. I would have also told myself to go out an volunteer more so I had an idea of what I wanted to do in college. I thought I wanted to be a nurse so I volunteered at a hospital my senior year. That assisted me with knowing I didn't want to be a nurse. In hindsight I should have had more variety with where I volunteered. I would finally tell myself to take advantage of every opportunity in college to learn and grow as a student and as an individual. Don't be afraid of upperclassmen or instructors. Each individual has a different background than I do and you can learn so much from their backgrounds. Overall I would tell myself to listen, explore, adventure, learn, and grow.

Katy, do not, I repeat, do not slack off in your Senior year classes. You'll pass no matter what, but that is information that is helpful later on in your educational career! Make a list of everything you need and want, so you can avoid having things shipped to you from California. Make and keep a budget; it's easy to get carried away and overspend, especially with a card instead of cash. Don't feel awkward saying hello to people! They are almost definitely going to be lovely, kind folks and loneliness is overrated. Remember to check if there is anything you need to do that you might not be aware of (i.e. student account, meal plan activation, etc.). When it is cold, run the engine of the Bug for a few minutes so you do not break down on your way home for the holidays. Above all, approach everything with an open mind and invest yourself in what you do!

Living primarily with my homeschool teacher and only attending campus course for art classes, I didn’t really get the full high school experience. I think that was a good thing. Between losing a friend every year, and mental health concerned I am so proud that I graduated and with a decent GPA. My advice to myself would be: 1. Work first play latter. Keep to our schedule, fallow it. Don’t let cute people distract us from what we are here for; getting our degree. No one is worth sabotaging our success over.2. Don’t let the non believes get you down. People may not always believe in your capabilities, but we know what we are capable of. Its time to turn people’s cannots and will nots in to dids, and dones. 3. We can do this! Don’t give up, and know that there will be in our future people that support us and our goals, you just have to wait for them.

Dear BriAnna, It's just your college-self writing to give you some advice to better prepare yourself than before. I know that you are ready for this transition and you have plenty of support from your parents but there is something you should know, college is really all about YOU. Now, I'm sure that you are somewhat aware of that, but it's not just about doing good in class, it's about being your own parent. Even though you are "still in school", there really is an adult responsibility that is to be had. So my advice to you is to really grow up now, take this seriously because you have been given the best opportunity that few get to experience. This is a time to really shine and find out who *you* really are. I'm proud that you have gotten this far, and I can't wait for the future we earned. Sincerely, BriAnna

If I was able to give myself advice as a high school senior, I would stress the importantance of getting college done right away. Waiting until everything falls into place before going back to college sounds great in theory, but I think that it has only held me back from my dream longer. I would also stress the importance of not worrying what others are thinking, and how I should act. I had a certain view point of college in High School from what I had seen in movies about college. It's not all about the parties, people in college for the most part are serious about furthering their education, and the immaturity in High School is frowned upon and no longer seen as funny, which I'm thankful for. I would also stress that college is not as scary as I made it seem in high school and that my dreams are possible.

i have gotten a better sense of myself from the classes i haven taken, from the interaction with other students and my professors. my experience has taught me that there are many sides to a story or perspectives and the important thing is to look at each angle and make an educated conclusion based off of my personal experience and research. I have learned more about what I enjoy and can not possibly tolerate in school, work and life. Many of my classes have taught me to think about different issues and look at the evidence and to create my own opinion. I feel attending college has enriched my self-identity and furthered my understanding of my own potential and hard work in college classes. I have learned persistence, integrity and patience from attending college and undergoing economic hardships.

In order to find the right college, it is important to visit the campus. Simply reading an online description or the opinion of a friend, is not the same as getting a first hand feel for the environment of the college or university. You will be spending atleast a year at the school you choose. If you are a more reserved person, you may not want to go to a big sports school or party school, but you wont know until you actually visit the school. By touring the campus and the community, you will have a better understanding of the people you will be working with, living with and becoming friends with. No matter how fancy a school's reputation might be, it is still important to visit the school, so you'll know if you will be happy there. After all, it will be the new place you call home.

I would have to say, that you should choose your college according to what you want and not just where all of your friends are going. College is an experiance in its self and you should embrace every minuite of it. I think that a students should be involved in alot of activites, rather it be joining the football team or just going to the games. Your college experiance will change your life. College is where you grow into a contributing member of soceity and i think if you embrace the experiance it will be alot easier for you to overcome. I also think that when parents take their children on tours of colleges, they should be open minded to different options. Each student has different assets that they can contribute to a school, its just a matter of finding the right school.

I would make sure that the college really is a perfect fit physically, emotionally and financially. All of those do matter because college is a life experience and not to be happy, and paying to be at that instution really sucks and it will make an effect on the students school-work, social life and overall physical happiness. On top of that all it is dissapointing when your not happy but manage to make friends and are not able to return because of the cost or the unhappiness the student will feel if the college/university is not a perfect fit. My advice is to be picky and then once the student gets there is to get involved as much as possible and make friends. College is really a life long experience so enjoy it, but be safe and smart!!

I would tell myself as a high school senior that college is at times challenging, but as long as I don't lose sight of what I want to make of myself, it is never as difficult as I think. I would tell myself about the amazing friends I have made and how they have been such a huge influence on my life. I would remind myself to never let another person compromise my values and beliefs. I would tell myself that the future is limitless as long as I am willing to try to make the future I have always dreamed of. College is not difficult. As long as I have good friends the transistion is not hard. Living alone is odd, but gives a sense of independance that never would have been felt at home. I would tell myself that I made the right choice.