Southern Oregon University Top Questions

Jonah

The biggest piece of advice that I would want to give myself as a high school senior is to take a college writing class in high school. Writing papers and essays in college is a lot different than in high school and I was definately not prepared for this level of writing. I would tell myself that I need to pay more attention in English classes and show more interest in my writing. Thinking outside of the box does not come natural to me, so writing in depth is not easy. Taking a creative writing or even any writing class would have prepared me more for college.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a highschool senior, I would have told myself that things would be okay - that in the time from then until now, how I'd learn to become my own best friend and learn to face the challenges which had in the past, crippled me. I would say, "keep your head up"; I'd probably pat myself on the back too. I might mention the name of a few girls to steer clear of and a few other people to give a chance without passing judgement. I would say to myself that it would be okay not to know what I was doing with my life just yet, and that as long as I tried hard at what I did and found a safe place to collect my thoughts at the end of the day, that things would end up alright - and how I'd might even discover a new passion! I would remind myself to be curteous to others along my way and to be open to the many possibilities that I would confront on my journey to the West Coast and on my path of self discovery.

Enjolie

I would tell myself to learn how to really study! So many things happen in college: financial responsabilities, study techniques, communting, and being resourceful. I believe that high school prepares us for the acedemics yet not for the social changes. I would tell myself to pay more attention to what my parents said, and trust that the teachers want you to ask more questions in class. Inquisitiveness is not a bad thing! I would also try and tell myself that you will get through it; day by day if you have to! That every effort and mistake counts for something and that with faith you can learn what you always thought was out of limits.

Madeline

I would tell myself that the college experience is what you make of it, and so putting in the effort to do the work well really pays off. Don't worry so much about the social life - friends come and go, the college transcript is forever. It isn't about proving yourself, it's about learning and gaining experience and professional connections so when you go out into the "real" world, you're prepared for whatever it may throw at you. Most of all, believe in yourself. Self-confidence is the key to unlocking the real benefits of a college education.

Take your time, before you know it, it will all be over. You will be looking back upon your high school life and wondering where it all went so fast. Soon you will be packing your bags and heading off to a whole new environment, a place where you will not have your parents their to lean on for support. Save up your allowance, for later you will be wishing that you had some of it to pay off your future tuition. Be smart, make decisions that will help your cause; and most of all, do not take it all for granted.

Cassie

I would tell myself not to be scared about the transition from high school to college. There are so many opportunities in college and there are individals to assist you with anything you need help with. I would have also told myself to go out an volunteer more so I had an idea of what I wanted to do in college. I thought I wanted to be a nurse so I volunteered at a hospital my senior year. That assisted me with knowing I didn't want to be a nurse. In hindsight I should have had more variety with where I volunteered. I would finally tell myself to take advantage of every opportunity in college to learn and grow as a student and as an individual. Don't be afraid of upperclassmen or instructors. Each individual has a different background than I do and you can learn so much from their backgrounds. Overall I would tell myself to listen, explore, adventure, learn, and grow.

If I could tell myself anything, I would tell myself to have a good mix of fun and studying. When I first started my college experience I just wanted to have fun. I didn't leave enough time for my studies. So now, here I am six years after graduating high school, still trying to finish my bachelors degree.

rachel

Living primarily with my homeschool teacher and only attending campus course for art classes, I didn’t really get the full high school experience. I think that was a good thing. Between losing a friend every year, and mental health concerned I am so proud that I graduated and with a decent GPA. My advice to myself would be: 1. Work first play latter. Keep to our schedule, fallow it. Don’t let cute people distract us from what we are here for; getting our degree. No one is worth sabotaging our success over.2. Don’t let the non believes get you down. People may not always believe in your capabilities, but we know what we are capable of. Its time to turn people’s cannots and will nots in to dids, and dones. 3. We can do this! Don’t give up, and know that there will be in our future people that support us and our goals, you just have to wait for them.

Savel

Graduating from high school can be incredibly freeing, so freeing it can be intoxicating. That is awesome! Let this be the wonderful, expansive time that it is! Many people move out of their homes for the first time when they graduate high school. The temptation is great to party and carouse and be social, to stay up late - all stuff you should be doing. While you are young with few commitments is a perfect time to explore the world. But be honest with yourself - would you prefer to be working or traveling rather than going to college? If the answer is yes then possibly a year off before university would be a good idea. College is expensive and there is no point in attending if you are just going to party and not go to class. If you do feel ready for college, there is no reason you cannot be a successful student while enjoying the new freedoms of being away from home. Create study time daily rather than just the night before an exam. Studying frequently will ensure that you will always have time to take a break to hang out with friends.

Madeline

Don't expect to make friends right away, especially since you are different - younger, intellectually gifted, diagnosed with learning disabilities. It will be hard socially and easy academically, and upper-division courses won't change that much. Don't judge professors right away, some of the ones you end up liking best are the ones you start out hating most. Most of all, don't be afraid to speak out. No one knows what you're thinking unless you tell them.

Knowing what I know now about college life and making the transition, I would tell myself to slow down and have a little more fun. For me, the first two years of college were so sports orientated that I didn’t have time to worry about my academics. I have always known that I wanted to be a teacher so I knew the exact classes I wanted/needed to take and sports was such a great stress reliever. It gave me that couple hours a day to get away from reading, homework, and projects and I just got to channel all my energy in to being an athlete. I was really uptight about school and sports that I never got to experience the “college life”. I went in already knowing what I wanted to do and focused and pulled through in four years got my Bachelor’s Degree and now it’s like I was on cruise control and I missed everything. Needing to have a happy medium balance of a social life on top of sports and academics would have made college more fullfilling for me.

I would tell myself to get the most obnoxious classes out of the way so you can enjoy your last two years taking classes that you are interested in. Spent time studying instead of socializing, and accept everyone for who they are.

Shawna

Beginning college has made me wish I had done a few things differently my senior year but the best advice I would give myself, would be to pay attention in all of my classes and not slack off on anything. No matter how insignificant or useless the class and the lessons being taught may seem, you will use almost everything at a later time and it will serve as a base for the new things you will learn your first year in college. Not paying attention during that final year of high school and having the whole summer off will cause you to forget things and playing catch up, while others who payed attention breeze through it, is no fun. Neglecting your classes and homework will ultimately come back to haunt you and make things much harder on you. Doing well in high school will benefit you more than you can imagine and will have you on the right path to success during your first year of college.

If I had the chance to go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior I would have much to share. I would let myself know that it is ok if you don't go directly through college in 4years. If you have to take time off to work so you can pay for school, it is ok; it doesn't make you less of a student. I would also stress the importance of selecting a workload you know you can handle; Its better to take a couple classes at a time that way you can manage your life, your job, and your school work all at the same time. Since graduating high school 7 years ago I have had to juggle school, money issues (both for me personally and issues involving sending money home to help my family), and the stresses of school. But I would also congratuate myself on some of the choices i made before i came to college, like getting my CNA license; such decisions have helped me immensely in my journey so far.

I would tell myself to take my time picking a school. I should have applied to more than one state school--knowing that I wouldn't attend the private universities I applied to. I would tell myself that it isn't all it's cracked up to be. Being so far away from home isn't always fun. When I need my mom, she's 300 miles away. Most of all, I'd tell myself that I didn't need to know everything. Not everything has to always be planned out. In the end, the only thing that matters is your at a school that makes you happy and you feel comfortable at.

casha

One thing is certain; I would tell myself that the sky is the limit and you are capable of achieving anything if you try your hardest. As a highschool senior; I struggled with feelings of inferiority, not being good enough, and comparing myself to those around me. I would tell myself to not be scared because college is going to be the best time of my life. It is going to be a time to really find my identity and where I fit in in this world. A time for me to figure out my interests and what I would like to do with my life. And the last thing I would tell myself is to not be scared and to embrace this new environment that I am going to be living in and learning in for the next four years.

I would tell myself as a high school senior that college is at times challenging, but as long as I don't lose sight of what I want to make of myself, it is never as difficult as I think. I would tell myself about the amazing friends I have made and how they have been such a huge influence on my life. I would remind myself to never let another person compromise my values and beliefs. I would tell myself that the future is limitless as long as I am willing to try to make the future I have always dreamed of. College is not difficult. As long as I have good friends the transistion is not hard. Living alone is odd, but gives a sense of independance that never would have been felt at home. I would tell myself that I made the right choice.

If I was able to give myself advice as a high school senior, I would stress the importantance of getting college done right away. Waiting until everything falls into place before going back to college sounds great in theory, but I think that it has only held me back from my dream longer. I would also stress the importance of not worrying what others are thinking, and how I should act. I had a certain view point of college in High School from what I had seen in movies about college. It's not all about the parties, people in college for the most part are serious about furthering their education, and the immaturity in High School is frowned upon and no longer seen as funny, which I'm thankful for. I would also stress that college is not as scary as I made it seem in high school and that my dreams are possible.

Bunk your beds, keep an open mind and learn to balance your social life with your studies.

Dont pack as much. I thought i needed so much for school, but in reality i ended up sending most of it, or taking most of it, back home. Dont procrastinate. I would spend time doing what i wanted to do and then do my homework into the little hours of the night, but if i had just sat down and did my work i would have had more time to myself. To be myself. Others thought me quiet and to myself because i didnt really make an effort to speak up and show my true personality those first weeks. Have fun. Those fun times go by and the memories I could have had slipped away because i chose to procrastinate and have no time for it.

aaron

do not go to comunity college. it was a waste of time , spend the extra money and dont go to a school that will leave you with a question of why did i spend money and have nothing from it

Windy

College is a big step. Going back I would make myself learn how to study. Sure moving away from home is tough, and being on your own is a completely new concept; but dealing with all that AND being completely overwhelmed with school could ruin someone. The work load for college courses is pleantiful, and your schedule can get tangled so easily. Procrastination often causes trouble for students also; but each lecture session presents so much information that cramming for tests and quizes won't cut it anymore. Making friends is easy, and settling in can be a little fun. Other than the academic transition, any advice would come naturally for each event as it presents itself.

KimCruz

My college experience has allowed me to grow into the person I am today, without rushing me to grow up. I have learned the value of an education does not depend on how big or small the school you attend is, nor is it dependent on the price you pay. The value of an education comes from within you, the learner. If you choose to work hard and utilize all the resources at your disposal you will go far, however if you do not do this, it does not matter where you study or how long you study, you will not get as far as you hoped. That is the cold hard truth. I can pay thousands of dollars for an education but if I don’t push myself to learn I will be wasting my money. Many institutions expect 18 year olds to turn into adults overnight. This is not realistic and I strongly recommend each individual person takes as long as they need to become exactly who THEY want to be, not who the institution tells them to be. This is what my college experience has taught me.

I have learned a lot about myself and about how I can better myself to prepare for the future. I've enjoyed this quiet little town but I've realized that this isn't the kind of town I would want to live in for the rest of my life. I think it is important to try different things in order to truely know what you want in the long run. I have also learned who my real friends are and who's willing to stick by my side for years to come. This has been one the most enriching experiences I have ever had and I will continue to utilize all of my skills learned here for the rest of my life.

mitra

i have gotten a better sense of myself from the classes i haven taken, from the interaction with other students and my professors. my experience has taught me that there are many sides to a story or perspectives and the important thing is to look at each angle and make an educated conclusion based off of my personal experience and research. I have learned more about what I enjoy and can not possibly tolerate in school, work and life. Many of my classes have taught me to think about different issues and look at the evidence and to create my own opinion. I feel attending college has enriched my self-identity and furthered my understanding of my own potential and hard work in college classes. I have learned persistence, integrity and patience from attending college and undergoing economic hardships.

Abby

My college experience has had its ups and downs, as all experiences do. The beginning was rough, and I had no idea where to look for what I wanted to do and more importantly who I want to be as a person. I fell in with a crowd that did not fit my interests and became a follower, drowning in my own life because I was so involved in other peoples chaos. I found the Women's Studies and Women's Resource Center shortly after my arrival at Southern Oregon University and fell in love with some of the teachers and opportunities for classes. I am now well on my way to finishing my Women's Studies minor, which is very valuable to me because it is the thing I am most passionate about. Aside from my scholastic college experience, I have really come into the person that I feel like I want to be. Of course I will learn a great deal more in my lifetime, but I have become more clear in the path I want to take, the people I want to surround myself with, and the person I am so happy to be.

Adreana

Honestly and truthfully out this college experience so far I gained maturity and time management. In high school I was the type of student that procrastinated alot, I got the work done in the end but had to rush . In college I learned that when you get an assignment complete it as soon as you get it Dont hold off until later and later when it cant be done to the best of your ability. When you do that it allows your other work to pile up on you and that just makes it more harder for you. I started to bring my old habits from high school to college and then changed up my ways when I realized that college is not a joke, it's a serious setting, you must be able to sacrifice your social life for studying and homework. You must be able to say to yourself if I party tonight I know Im not going to be able to finish my work, so I must stay home and do what I have to do. College life is the best opportunity that would put you to where you need to be in life.

Shakeya

I attend college at Vatterott Career College and my experience there has been worthwhile. Im in the medical assistant program and I believe for a $20,000 program every penny being paid will be WORTH it. Im doing something I love and there's nothing like staying interested in any career you choose, especially hands on. I recently started in June and it wasnt easy trying to find the right college. Im a mother of two so I had to find something that fits into college-life and motherhood. Vatterott provided me with an experience like no other and I learn something new everyday. Ive already learned pharmacology, medical office basics, vital signs, and medical terminology in just five months. My program offers more than just the program itself I still have more skills to come like phlebotomy and more. It has been valuable to attend because Im getting more than what I expected including my experience, the exceptional teachers, and learning environment. I wouldnt trade my college experience at Vatterott for anything in the world. I couldnt have chosen another direction to go in. This is my experience and what Ive gotten out of college so far.

For me it has given me the freedom with a structured lifestyle. I has been a great growing tool for me personally finding my own freedom and also academically has open my eyes to a whole academic world I would otherwise not have had to privialige to be a part of. I went from being a freshmand straight out of college, to a Resident Assistant my sophomore year, to living in a house off campus with my friends. All of these experiences although very tough and challenging at times have prodded me to grow into the person I am today which is someone I am proud to be.

Krystal

I have never attneded any college or university, but I would lve to. Altogehter I have 5 other siblings, although im the youngest. At the sametime none of them have finished or even tried to further their education and I want to be the first of my family to say that I krystal keshonda mason was the one to do it so that I can help my family with their financial problems.

Mostly I'm attending so that I can learn. But as I'm going to school in the medical field, I feel that I'll be able to help people through my work eventually.

Tia

I have learned a lot in and out of my classes. I was able to find out who I really was. Moving out on my own was such a valuable experience for me becuase it made me more independent. I have learned how to handle myself better in all situations, and I have learned how to be a sucessful student even without a parent pushing me to do well. I realized that I want to do well on my own, and that I can still succeed in whatever I want on my own.

BriAnna

Dear BriAnna, It's just your college-self writing to give you some advice to better prepare yourself than before. I know that you are ready for this transition and you have plenty of support from your parents but there is something you should know, college is really all about YOU. Now, I'm sure that you are somewhat aware of that, but it's not just about doing good in class, it's about being your own parent. Even though you are "still in school", there really is an adult responsibility that is to be had. So my advice to you is to really grow up now, take this seriously because you have been given the best opportunity that few get to experience. This is a time to really shine and find out who *you* really are. I'm proud that you have gotten this far, and I can't wait for the future we earned. Sincerely, BriAnna

Alwyn

Most high school students don't know what they want to do in life on the day they need to begin applying for college. So, don't worry. The feelings of axiety are normal. The most important thing is to choose a place where you will feel most comfortable pursuing academic and life goals over the next four years. That place should be one in which you will find support, encouragement and assistance that meets your needs. The learning experience should be one in which you will be nurtured and empowered to reach your own potential. And, of course, you should choose an environment in which you will feel most comfortable having fun, meeting new friends for life and opening new doors of opportunity. This special place ought to be considered based upon its merits, not merely the opinions of your friends. Follow your personal passion. Choose a place that is best set up to help you succeed. Whether it is a small campus in a small town or a large campus with myriad options. Tailor your choice in schools to what's best for you and you will have the best opportunity to succeed.

Lizeth

To try and pick the best school academically and not based on partying. Its important to feel comfortable and your school.

Loretta

If i was able to go back in time and talk to the high school senior version of mysef, I would tell myself to keep up the hard work. Unike many of my friends, I took college level classes my senior year and did quite well in them. I also would've congratulated myself on takng the initiative to do things for myself rather than relying on my parents, because that skill is much needed in college life. The advice I would give myself would be to save more money than I spend. I had an issue with spending money on useless items and not realizing that I should've been saving it for college expenses. Without the financial support of my family, I am realizing how much I can go without. I would tell myself to apply for more scholarships than I could think of, because it would make college life much more enjoyable to not have to constantly be worried about money. The last thing I would tell myself is to keep an open mind.

If I knew what I know now about college life I would tell myself to get more involved. I would tell myself to go to all the activities for new students so that I would know people before even beggining school. I would tell myself to join clubs that are of interest to me. I would tell myself to take honors courses my freshman year so that I could graduate with honors. I would tell myself to be more outgoing and friendly. I would tell myself to explore the campus and explore the town in my free time and to not be afraid to ask questions. I would tell myself to apply for a job on campus, because there are only a few and they offer very flexible hours and it is good experience. I would tell myself to look more into the opportunities the campus has to offer. I would tell myself to choose a place and volunteer freshman year to make a difference, get involved, and gain practical experience.

University classes are much harder than community college classes, even when taken simultaneously with high school. Look into majors before settling with one. Pre- Medicine is extremely involved and difficult. Look into the success rates of students in the medical field. Make sure you truely have a passion for you major before you go to school and choose your courses because they will be more difficult than expected and it will be easier to get through if you love what you are studying. Research other majors, even ones that seem odd or uninteresting. Don't go for what you think will make your parents proud, do what will make you happy. College is really the beginning of coming into your own. Living on your own is slightly difficult at first, but don't be afraid of going up to people and introducing yourself, they will be there for you later. Create a bond with your roommate early, the stress of college is enough without the addition of roommate issues. Get to know the people on your floor, form study groups, get out and enjoy life and what college has to offer you.

Katy, do not, I repeat, do not slack off in your Senior year classes. You'll pass no matter what, but that is information that is helpful later on in your educational career! Make a list of everything you need and want, so you can avoid having things shipped to you from California. Make and keep a budget; it's easy to get carried away and overspend, especially with a card instead of cash. Don't feel awkward saying hello to people! They are almost definitely going to be lovely, kind folks and loneliness is overrated. Remember to check if there is anything you need to do that you might not be aware of (i.e. student account, meal plan activation, etc.). When it is cold, run the engine of the Bug for a few minutes so you do not break down on your way home for the holidays. Above all, approach everything with an open mind and invest yourself in what you do!

If I had only one major vice in my senior year of high school, it would have been my fear. I was afraid of change, mostly, but also of unacceptance. What if I worked my very hardest on that essay, only for my teacher to tell me it was terrible? Even though I love my new friends, I shouldn't hang out with them often because they might not like me. I worried too much about what other people thought about me that I didn't pay any attention to what I thought about me! This severely hindered me in college applications and throughout my first term. If the Michelle of that not-so-distant past were to read this, I would tell her to unleash that adventurous spirit buried deep inside. It will not get you into as much trouble as you think. And do not even CONDSIDER putting off applying for scholarships! They really make all the difference for one as frugal as you. While time travel may be impossible at the moment, I am glad that I learned these things late than not at all.

Geraldine

I would advise myself to take it very seriously and to find a way to stay in school continuously to obtain my bachelor's degree. Taking close to 10 years inbetween receiving my associates degree to starting on my bachlor's degree has been quite an adjustment. It is much easier to do when you can stay in school full-time and not have to work a full-time job or care for children while attending school. I would remind my younger self that I am a role model for my children and having to work, take care of them and attend school means that my entire focus is not always where it should be. I would also advise myself to save all the money I could because at some point you have to pay your student loans.

As Dorothy Parker worte, "Drink and dance and laugh and lie, Love, the reeling midnight through, for tomorrow we shall die! But, alas, we never do." This quote speaks to me in regard to being able to go back into time and to offer myself some advise about college life with the knowlege I now have. I am a soccer player and play on SOU's soccer team. Someone told me not to base my decision solely on the coach or the sport, but to look carefully at the academics. This was helpful advise. At the time I heard it, but did not fully understand it. Now I understand. Education is and should be the focus. Luckily I made a good decision. I would say to myself that there's only so much preparation you can do in choosing the right school. After that, just let go, relax and trust in the process and keep a positive thought and attitude. Believe that you are in the right place for you and stop worrying. Then you will learn to adapt and adjust and enjoy!

Melody

If I had the chance to talk to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself, rather emphatically, not to worry so much about going to college. I spent many nights awake, wondering what my room would look like, whether I would meet anyone new or make any friends, whether the professors would be nice, how it would feel to be living on my own a thousand miles away from home. That energy could have been better spent, because the transition actually felt easy and natural. College has provided me with the opportunity to branch out, to choose wonderful friends, to become fully responsible for myself, and to find interests that really do interest me rather than just looking good on an application. It's easy not to become involved with partying if you don't want to. It's refreshing to be some distance from home and to see how much I love my family and which friends at home are worth keeping. It's exciting to take classes with fascinating material that sharpens my mind and makes me think, for once! So, college-bound self, don't worry. Everything will work out. It'll be amazing.

Jody

Don't be lazy. Work hard and when you can have fun. Live with your parents longer and don't spend so much money.

Alexandrea

I would make sure that the college really is a perfect fit physically, emotionally and financially. All of those do matter because college is a life experience and not to be happy, and paying to be at that instution really sucks and it will make an effect on the students school-work, social life and overall physical happiness. On top of that all it is dissapointing when your not happy but manage to make friends and are not able to return because of the cost or the unhappiness the student will feel if the college/university is not a perfect fit. My advice is to be picky and then once the student gets there is to get involved as much as possible and make friends. College is really a life long experience so enjoy it, but be safe and smart!!

Nita

In order to find the right college, it is important to visit the campus. Simply reading an online description or the opinion of a friend, is not the same as getting a first hand feel for the environment of the college or university. You will be spending atleast a year at the school you choose. If you are a more reserved person, you may not want to go to a big sports school or party school, but you wont know until you actually visit the school. By touring the campus and the community, you will have a better understanding of the people you will be working with, living with and becoming friends with. No matter how fancy a school's reputation might be, it is still important to visit the school, so you'll know if you will be happy there. After all, it will be the new place you call home.

Start looking at schools early. Know what the school is looking for, and do not aim too high, for in many cases you will regret this, and have to most likely go to your safety school. Also, as many times as you will hear this at school, Get Involved. It makes your time worthwhile.

Ariel

To find the right place, look around until you find the place that clicks, that feels right. When you are on the campus, you should feel like you are home. To make the most of your college experience, I know this had been said 100 times but it remains true: get involved! Find something you love doing, and keep doing it! It will make your experience so much richer and more memorable. This year, with NRHH(National Residence Hall Honrary) I have walked all around Ashland, dressed as a ballerina asking for canned food donations, cooked and served pancakes until 2 AM more than once, spent nine hours cutting out and putting up snowflakes, snowmen and other decorations, and I have loved every minute of it. To help the community of SOU and Ashland, while knowing that someone thought I was one the top 1{4a082faed443b016e84c6ea63012b481c58f64867aa2dc62fff66e22ad7dff6c} of leaders in the Residence Halls, has been y amazing for me. This has led me to pursue more active roles in Residence Hall Leadership. I have just submitted my application to be an RA next year. I feel like I have found my niche. Find something tyou are equally passionate about.

Kelli

Researching a university is extremely important. I strongly recommend a campus visit before deciding which university is best. Once the student has chosen a school, I suggest living on-campus. The department of Residential Life is dedicated to providing educational and fun programs to further enrich the college experience. I also believe that students should get involved in any extra-curricular clubs he/she finds interesting. In addition to aforementioned suggestions, I must promote studying abroad. I have participated in a summer study abroad program to Germany, and will be going to South Korea with a similar program this summer. Finally, before a final decision is made, know the cost of the school. So many students arrive at college and do not know anything about financial aid. Parents, educate your students about the cost, and students, seek out on-campus resources that are designed to assist with financial aid. College is expensive, get the most out of it.

To help parents and/or students find the right college and make the most of the college experience, I would give them advice about the kind of environment suitable for the individual. In regards to the kind of environment, I mean the location of the college, the types of programs, and the special aspects of individual colleges. The parent and/or student must begin with the area of study or interest, because most colleges have specific programs in which these interests fit. Once the parent and/or student has determined an area of interest, then he or she must focus on the location of the school. The cost of attendence for some colleges increases depending on in or out of state residency, and I would recommend the individual researches all of the costs for their current situation. Once he or she has chosen a college, it is time to make the most of the college experience. I believe college students need to go out of their comfort zone and interact with people from different backgrounds, and get involved with clubs and make as many diverse friends as possible. Like most people say, "These are the best years of your life."