Marietta, GA
Southern Polytechnic State University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Southern Polytechnic State University

ElHadji

If I could go back in time as a high school senior, the advice I would give myself would be to focus on studying more. Another important advice I would give myself would be to prepare myself for college life, knowing how to balance life and studies and adjusting well to the transition to life in college. I would recommend to the younger high school student a stronger focus on sports (Basket-Ball) in order to become a student-athlete. But the most important advice would definitely consist of working harder to get the highest grades possible because they strongly affect all your college applications.

There were some issues with Financial Aid but everything was resolved. Some teachers do not respond to emails, they prefer to interact through the phone.

SPSU offers a very flexible schedule for classes, the teachers are dedicated and knowledgeable. Many of the teachers cooperate with the students and really help the students succeed.

karla

Southern Polytechnic State University is a big and nice looking school.

Southern Polytechnic State University is a big and nice looking school.

Learn everything you can because what you get out of it will prepare you for the future.

Sometimes finding a parking spot becomes a headache.

Jordan

My first piece of advice is to get some sleep. You wil not be able to meet all of your expectations on three or four hours of sleep. Also, don't count on napping in class; high school teachers didn't like it and college professors despise it. As for what professors hate the most, that would definitely be late work, so don't procastinate. You might as well start now, because it was pretty jarring how every single syllabi I recieved had "no late work accepted" in bold and italics. That was the scary stuff, now for the good parts. Make as many friends as you can once you get here. Get out and enjoy the campus you're paying for. Finally, remember that the sad grumble at the bad and the happy smile at the good.

The one thing I wish I knew Before coming to Southern Poly was how few girls go to the school. Granted, there is more than two in the whole school, but guys outnumber girls by three to one easily. While this fact is of minor consequence to me, I don't have time for a girlfriend, it is nice to know all the facts beforehand.

The type of person who shouldn't attend Southern Poly is a day bird. For the simple reason that to many people here are night owls. Also, if your roommate is an Architecture major, like my self, you will be woken up at two or three in the morning, if not later.

Tim

SPSU is unique compared to other Engineering schools because it focuses on career-attainment as opposed to Georgia Tech, which was my other alternative, which focuses on theoretical rather than practical applications.

I would tell myself not to worry about what other people might think. My main advice would be for me to get involved with my college sooner than I had because it creates many more opportunities and relationships that would not occur otherwise.

This school is everything that it advertises. It is an engineering school that focuses on career-attainment rather than the theoretical side of Engineering.

Mitchell

If I could go back in time and advise my senior self about college life and the making the transition from high school to college I would have many pieces of advice for myself. I would tell myself to get out and meet more people; if you have more friends in a class, studying for that class becomes easier and much more enjoyable. Getting involved in campus activities from the beginning is another incredibly important tip. The more involved in your school's activities and campus' events, the more enjoyable school becomes. Sitting around and playing video games all day may seem like fun, but it will get old, and you are not gaining anything. Event involvement is also a great item to add to your ever important resume. The last piece of advice I would give my senior self: take advantage of services provided by your school. If you are feeling stressed, go talk to the counselors, or if you need help with some work, go talk to the professor or a tutor. These services are all available free of charge. I would tell myself to enjoy college, and make sure to gain everything possible from the experience.

Southern Polytechnic State University always has fun and exciting events presented by the many organizations and clubs. This school truly keeps their students entertained with activities. The school supports everything including: movies and foreign films, campus wide water gun battles, recycling and going green, and currently research to help relieve the Haitians' affected by the earthquake. Southern Polytechnic State University provides an excellent academic environment and a superior campus life making this school one of the best schools in Georgia.

Southern Polytechnic State University may be a superb school academically and socially; however, the school has a major flaw. This academic year the school charged $698 in mandatory fees! These fees are required whether the student uses the service or not. After all of these astronomical fees, the school still manages to charge for using the recreational hall facilities, for which a portion of the fees was dedicated to the "recreation fee." SPSU may offer great activities, but at such a cost they become unpleasant.

Eric

Do what you can to earn more money. College is expensive. Also, practice better time management skills.

The best thing about SPSU is the level of hand-on, interactive, and in-depth training each student can get in his or her studies.

There are lots of labs with ample amounts of equipment, which translates to everyone having easy access to hands-on training. The professors are also very accessible to those that require assistence. Marietta is a good town, and the campus feels a lot like the students' home.

A lot of my classmates are focused on achieving a higher education, while kicking back and relaxing on their free time as well, allowing them to keep a very nice balance in their lives thoughout college and not submitting to drugs and alcohol to relieve stress.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself that college is a great experience. I would tell myself to keep trying my hardest in high school, and make sure I study. Procrastination is one of the worst things I can do to myself, so make sure to avoid it. I would look myself in the eyes and tell myself not to worry. Don't worry about relationships, or getting a job, or even about the stress of homework and making new friends. All of that will work itself out, as long as I keep up with my homework and relax when I can. I would tell myself that even though I know I will be taking the same courses in college as I was in high school, to still try my hardest and make sure I pay attention to every lecture. I would tell myself to start applying to colleges early, as opposed to waiting until the month before graduation from high school and simply hoping I get accepted in time. Most important of all, I would tell myself to balance work and play, and get prepared.

When telling my friends about my school, I brag about how great of an education I will be getting at this school with the smaller class sizes and more independent attention as a result of the smaller class sizes, as well as the great food and the exercise and all of the various opportunies and options we have on campus.

Jasmine

The advice I would give to myself as a 17 year old senior would be to love myself more, not to take my mother for granted and start at the local community college for my education. I’d tell myself that I am too emotionally attached to animals and that being a veterinarian would not be a good idea. I would talk myself into pursing nursing. I would tell myself that due to my high tolerance for the sight of blood – not to mention my love of horror movies – that nursing would benefit my lifestyle and sentiment. I would convince my younger self to utilize my research skills and go on a treasure hunt for scholarships. School is expensive and it’s cheaper to get someone else to pay for it. The most important thing I would tell my high school senior self is to stay focused on school, enjoy the simple life living with mom and most importantly do everything school related early; early registration, buy books early, tour school to find classes early, pay for school early and do homework early. If you’re early you’re on time; if you’re on time you’re late.

Eva

Southern Poly is a small, quiet engineering school in the misdst of a big city, providing you with the best of both worlds.

Soak it all in! These days will be gone soon enough, don't wish them away. Make sure you tell those you love that you love them, and don't worry about what anyone else thinks about you. Simply have fun. Don't forget to study, but don't spend all your time studying. Manage your time well so that there is a balance, and it will prepare you for college. As you prepare to go off, don't forget your family. They have spent18 years helping you grow and mature. It will be difficult for them to let you go. Spend good quality time with them before you leave.

At SPSU, there is a great environment. The campus is quiet, and there are mulitiple places outside to study. The faculty and staff are eager to help with any problem, and are very friendly. SPSU treats you as an individual, not just a number.

FELIPE

Oh dear, the life-changing things I would say if I could go give myself advice back then. -Apply for scholarships, because there certainly are scholarships for high school freshmen to seniors -WORK HARDER, put the worst of me(procrastination) aside and make all A's. At least that way I would have had my first college year paid for, then whatever was left of HOPE in Georgia to help throughout the rest of my years. If I could advise myself of the aforementioned in my senior year of high school. My entire life could be different right now.

I believe the worst thing about my school would be the policy that requires any students living in the dorms and "Hornet Suites" to buy a meal plan. Unfortunately, I will be living in the "Hornet Suites," and had the meal plan not been required, I wouldn't be so unhappy to live there. I do believe it is a nice place to live, but it is already more expensive that the 2x2 apartments on its own without the meal plan.

Southern Polytechnic State University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.