Southern Polytechnic State University

« See more reviews of Southern Polytechnic State University

If I had to pick a worse thing about Southern Poly, it would have to be how the Technology departments seem to have gotten the short end of the stick. By Technology depatrments I mean Civil Engineering Technology, Mechanical Engineering Department, etc. These depatments are much older and currently the CET department is using the old maintenance building. I understand that Southern Poly is trying to expand and add more programs, which they did by building the new engineerng building where Civil Enigeering, Mechanical Engineering, etc. is taught. I just wish that they focused on the Technology department some more.

I would consider the worst part of my school to be the janitorial service for the freshman dorms. It might be surprising that this is the worst aspect of this school to me, but so many of the other aspects are out standing. The classes are small, from twenty to fifty students but many in the twenties, and great learning enviroments. The students are very kind and quick to make friends. The quality of the campus food serrvices is very good. The dorms are superb. I have completed one full semester and am completely satisfied with the rigorous classes.

Some teachers should take more time out to go over material more in depth. The university gives them a timeline of things from the class description to get done within the semester, but they need to see when the class as a whole is not getting the subject, and allocate more time for going over it. The professor has the discretion to slow up a bit or continue along without regard to the student's grasp of that subject matter. The latter shouldn't be happening, but, it does on other campuses, and SPSU isn't an exception at times.

Southern Polytechnic State University may be a superb school academically and socially; however, the school has a major flaw. This academic year the school charged $698 in mandatory fees! These fees are required whether the student uses the service or not. After all of these astronomical fees, the school still manages to charge for using the recreational hall facilities, for which a portion of the fees was dedicated to the "recreation fee." SPSU may offer great activities, but at such a cost they become unpleasant.

I would consider the worst thing about this school is the merger where we were just acquired by a larger school. As an engineering student, part of the reason that I chose this school dealt with the name that would be on my degree upon graduation. An engineering degree from Southern Polytechnic looks great to employers. I fear that as a result of the merger, my engineering degree won't carry the same effect saying "Kennesaw State University" as opposed to "Southern Polytechnic State University"

I think that the worst thing about my school is the cafateria. Although it has nothing to do with academics, it plays a great roll in the college experience. I feel as though the food at my old high school was just as good. There are sometimes issues where the might run out of a certain food or the temperature of the food is not where it should be. I believe this is an impportant issue because in order for me to get the best eduaction I must be healthy and food plays a major roll in that area.

The thing that I find worse about Southern Polytechnic is the lack activities to participate in, with regards to sports. I recently started a swim club on campus, because I love to swim, but in years past, I didn't have any sports to participate in. The social experience at SPSU isn't at all like other campuses, and I have found, that just based on swim club, I have met a lot more people and have finally become happy with the activities at Southern Poly.

I believe the worst thing about my school would be the policy that requires any students living in the dorms and "Hornet Suites" to buy a meal plan. Unfortunately, I will be living in the "Hornet Suites," and had the meal plan not been required, I wouldn't be so unhappy to live there. I do believe it is a nice place to live, but it is already more expensive that the 2x2 apartments on its own without the meal plan.

The worst thing at Southern Poly is lack of unity the student body has. Students never seem to come together to take on issues around our school, such as the rising cost of education. The fees have skyrocketed over the past few years that I have attended the institution and nobody seems to want to do anything about it. Since no one comes together, the students at our school have no voice.

The worst thing about my school is the distance that I must drive to get there. As a commuter student I must wake up early and get there before I catch morning traffic. Living on campus would be a great advantage but I am unable to do so because of financial costs. I like going to Southern Poly, it is a great school where you feel as if your are in a professional place.