Baton Rouge, LA
Southern University and A & M College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Southern University and A & M College

Monique

An historic college/university with a nutruing environment.

An historic college/university with a nutruing environment.

My peers were from all different backgrounds.

As the only child and coming from a home with a father on drugs and a mother trying to survive, attending college away from home allowed me to be very independent and strong as a young women. As I encountered different people, I was exposed to various backgrounds and taught valuable lessons that helped me along my journey.

I've always valued college education because I understand how important it is to have a degree in today's society. Going to college is opening a lot of doors for me and broadening my options when I decide what I want to do with the rest of my life. My college experience has taught me more than what can be found in a textbook. I've learned a lot about myself and I have accomplished a lot more than I ever thought possible. Through playing varsity sports in college, I know that I have made friends for life and I would not change my experience at Southern University for anything. The bottom line is that I know this college education will take me further than I would have gone without it.

Yulandria

"The more that you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you'll go." This quote is taken from Dr. Seuss' book, "Oh, The Places You'll Go." My college experience has taught me the value two very important chararistics:: perseverance and detemination . First, perserevrance pays off because it commands respect . Demonstrating you are focused on a achieving goal (graduating with honors) and you will not be deterred shows high level of commitment . Next, dermination is the spririt of "never say die." It shouts to world "I am going to make it!" It is just like The Little Engine That Could mumbling to himelf, "I think I can. I think I can." Finally, after what seemed like an eternity , shouting, "I know I can! I know I can!" These two charateristics ,developed incollege, served me well professionally and thoughout life. I would not trade the experrience attending college for all the marbles in the world. It serves as a remider you should not rest on laurels, you must go on: "The more that you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you'll go."

I wish I known how challengeing SU would be. (Like the time I was in Biology 101, I had to examine religious teaching vs. evolution.)

The worst thing about attending SU is the high standards that are expected morally, academically, intellectually. If you don't want to be challgened in these areas, I suggest that you select another school.

Mikeshia

The thing that is unique about my school is the simple fact that we're a big family. I've been on the campus for one now as of the end of Spring 2010 and i have never seen anyone have a confrontation. Everyone greets each other when they pass by. Also, my school has one of the best bands in the land. They've performed everywhere from Honda Battle of the Bands to the half time show for a Saints game. Nonetheless, my school has some of the brightest students who will be our future.

I have gotten that a student was be able to make that transition from high school to college. Some students found out the hard way. They may have flunked out or close to it. Also, having good grades in high school pays off. I was able to get a grant because of my gpa in high school. It has been valuable to me because i've learned so much about my school as well as my major.

Jasmine

My school is mostly known for the law program, but trailing right behind law is the nurseing program and next the engineering program.

If I could go back and talk to myself as a high school senior knowning what i know now about college and making the transition, I would give myself advice based on standardize testing. I would push myself harder to take the ACT multiple times. I would also tell myself that my grades were good enough to go out of state and I would stop putting myself down. I would have told myself to work on things a little longer and try just a little bit harder. The first semester as a freshman was hard but i was prepared and made a high grade point average. I would have encouraged myself to apply for a lot more scholarships and grants. Lastly I would have told myself to have fun and not stress but stay focused on what I am goin to college for.

Before I attended this school, I wish I would have known that they did not have the best business program in the state of louisiana.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself that attending class is number one priority. In order to stay on top and have the grades that you want, you have to attend class. It's important so that you will know what's going on in case of quizzes, tests, classwork, homework, and even extra credit assignments. The consequences of not attending classes daily may lead to poor grades that can prevent you from participating in certain organizations, applying for many scholarships, and slow down your progress to graduating from college.

One of the major things I wish I knew before I came to this school would be the importance of having good grades to keep financial aid. My first year in college didn't go well due to adjusting to a new state and environment. Therefore, my grades suffered causing me to lose my financial aid, and I ended up having to do an appeal. Thankfully, I received my financial aid, and I never had a problem with maintaining my grades after that incident.

The number one thing that I brag about to my friends about my school is our school spirit. This college has a high level of school spirit and pride. That was one of the main reasons I chose to attend my college.

Marina

By knowing what I know now about the transition to college life, the advice I would give myself would be to look for scholarships in high school and to take paying for college seriously because the money will not just fall from the sky. Other advice that I would give myself if I was a high school senior would be to make good grades so selecting a college would not be so difficult. Because I made mistakes as a freshmen and sophomore in high school my g.p.a was not that great but because I have learned from my mistakes I now have a 3.40 g.p.a and have also did an internship with Walt Disney World Resort since i've been in college.

The worst thing about my school is housing. The housing at my school is over priced for what the students live in. We have an ant problem, locks on the closets dont lock, sometimes there are problems with the toilets and sometimes the water is cut off. Living in a dorm is suppose to be a home away from home and its not

The most frustrating thing about my school is that there are very view school scholarships because of the school budget cuts. Its very frustrating that your own school can't provide their students with scholarships and that tuition goes up ever semester. This makes it more difficult to pay for books and other items as well as make a deeper hole in my father's pocket.

christiana

Southern University is best known for our band, The Marching Jukebox. We are also known for being fun and well-dressed as a student body.

If I could go back and talk to myself as a high school senior I would advise myself not to pick my college based on my friends and go with my first pick. I would tell myself not to be so lazy and apply for more scholarships and to apply to more schools. After 3 semesters of being in college I learned that friends and fun are big part of the experience in college but the bigger part of this experience is to gain knowledge for your future so that you can lead the life that you dreamt for yourself. This is why I am applying for this scholarship, I am trying to transfer to an out of state school in the fall and i may need money to cover my out of state fees. Thank you so much for your time.

It is not very organized and the rumor is it it in jeopordy of losing accreditdation. Most faculty members give students the run around when asked a simple question.

Evan

Southern University is an opportunistic university; they take away all the distractions to allow you to grow mentally, spiritually, and physically.

The teachers are diverse and they care about your success. They will lift you up until you can succeed on your own.

I encourage everyone to make a choice for themselves. A four-year institution, junior college, community college, or technical school is not for everyone. Some people succeed in all and others fall short. Choose a university for you not because, your friends are going there, or the school is not far from home. But, choose with your heart and your mind. Examine all your options and be willing to stick with it. College is the experience of a lifetime. Before college you're planning your life. During college you're living it. After college you're putting all your plans into motion. Choose a school where you can grow socially and academically. That's what life is truly about...progression.

TaLasha

I would first tell myself to pray. I would make sure that I knew the value of my faith and how I would need it all throughout my college career. I would stress the fact that studying is important. I would tell myselft to join some social groups and become an important part of making my campus better for those who come after me.

Someone who is here just to collect financial aid.

Mainly the band, and my rehabilitation professors.

Southern University and A & M College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.