Shreveport, LA
Southern University at Shreveport

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Southern University at Shreveport

Charles

My overall opinion of Southern University at Shreveport is to come every day and doing my assignment. Southern University at Shreveport or SUSLA is a two-year campus of the historically black Southern University System, located in Shreveport, the U.S. state of Louisiana.[1] SUSLA pushed to fruition by the administration of Governor John J. McKeithen, opened for instruction on September 19, 1967. At the same time a second two-year institution, Louisiana State University at Shreveport, also opened. However, LSUS later became a four-year campus, but SUSLA remains a two-year facility. The university is a member-school of Thurgood Marshall College Fund. The primary emphasis of SUSLA was to serve the Shreveport-Bossier City area. SUSLA is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools to award associate degrees in various fields of study. On October 28, 1974, the Louisiana Board of Regents, then called the Coordinating Council for Higher Education, granted to the institution approval for six associate degree programs in business, humanities, medical office assistant, natural sciences, office administration and social sciences. In 1978, it added an associate degree in medical laboratory technology. Among the buildings at SUSLA is Stone Hall, named for the late Southern University System president Jesse N. Stone, Jr... Inside Stone Hall is the J. Bennett Johnston, Jr. Video Conferencing Center, named for the former U.S. senator from Shreveport.

Deadrian

The teachers are the best feels like I'm at home. The teachers make you feel like their your family

Abiola

The program is very competitive and with one failed class you are dismissed from the class. The workload is heavy, at times ridiculously heavy. Too much time spent on busy work and not enough time spent on constructive items to excel/study. The facilities should be improved, it would be convenient if all of the classes were held at one location instead of two different campuses. Sometimes this contributes to multiple trips and excessive/unnecessary driving.

Armesha

The students are friendly and helpful and courteous. I really don't see anything bad about the university, yet, and hopefully I won't. There is nothing else that I know of that people should know before they attend. Make sure that you come to school for the right reasons. Stay focused and on top of things. If you are not sure that college is for you, then stay out until you have made up your mind.

Makaylah

Southern University is a family oriented university, I came to the campus with only three friends from the same state and any of us have family in the state of Louisiana. Until I met my suit mate that is from Zachary, Louisiana her parents took us in as their own and treated us like family since we been at the university they invite us over to their house allow us to attend church with them and much more. Being at Southern theres plenty of students or staff members that will help you without a problem if you need to work something out with your teachers or class schedule they're there to help. For students who are looking for someone to talk to or get closer to the lord they have dorm meetings when theres guest speakers and once a week theres bible study in the main lobby. No matter if you have no friends or friends there's always something for everybody at Southern University.

Donavan

I believe everyone who attends this university is in for excitement with uplifting students & facility. If you interested in making your future a success this is the place to be. I remember when I first applied staff was very nice and patient with incoming freshman and returning students.

I think about this a lot now that I am a college student, and the main thing I would want to talk to myself about when I was in Highschool is the importance of studying and paying attention in classes that I was not really interested in. For example, when i was in highschool I hated math, but it was required for us to take two algebra classes before we could graduate. Naturally I hated anything math related, so when I was in these classes I would not pay attention, because I would work on other homework from another class instead. Now

One thing I wish I would have known before I came to this school is how racially challenged it is. I'm not racist by no means, but I go to a college where the majority of the students are African American, and the faculty is as well. This can make it difficult and uncomfortable when you try to get help for financial aid, and when registering for classes because the faculty and staff show a favortism towards the African American students. I'm not asking for special treatments, but I would like to be treated as an equal individual.

I would not want to discourage anyone from attending this school, but if you are sensitive to racial discrimmination then you may want to consider going to another school. Issues of race play a major role at this university, and it's hard to overlook it when it is always centered around African American students. This makes me feel like other students of different minorities, like me, do not matter at this university because I am not African American.

Kemika

I have attended other colleges previously and this college was referred to me by some other students that attend. This is my first semester at this college and registering, admission, and finding financial aid was hard for me because I have exhausted my attempted hours for the nursing program at another school. I did not use an advisor when I first started but now at this college you see an advisor no matter what, and this was very helpful. There is always help available for you when you need it at almost anytime. I made the right choice this time.

Make sure that you are ready for college so that you will not waste your time or the staff. College is a really big step in life towards your future. When making your choice of a university, do research to find the college that best fits you and your needs. Find out all your options about financial aid available to you so that you will not create too much debt for yourself or your parent(s). Learn about how much time you will have to invest in the degree program that you pursue. It is ok to change your major but once you pick one try to stick with it, if that is really what you want to do. Do not let anyone discourage you from doing what is best for you and your future because in the end you are the one who has to live your life and look back on what could have been or what should be. I really wish that someone would have told me then what I know about school or college now, I learned on my own and learned the hard way. Now I wish I could start over anew to better myself.

The campus very large and the student to teacher ratio is great, so there is always help available. The library is great with many references to use for the students. The street name that it is located on is an historical name that is now celebrated and recognized every year ( Martin Luther King).The teachers are there to advise for the particular program that you apply for so you can get a general understanding before you chose something you do not really want. All of the staff from all of the offices are friendly and helpful.

Southern University at Shreveport administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.