Buena Vista, VA
Southern Virginia University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Southern Virginia University

Kimberly

I would tell my self to apply for more scholarships and don't worry so much. Be yourself, you make the best friends when you just be yourself right from the start. Don't get overwhelmed from the homework load, Its really not that bad. And relax and enjoy college, it will be the best years of your life!!!

There is not as much financial aid as I expected

The professors are amazing. The small class size allows you to have a greater learning experience.

Grant

It's a small school centered around the Mormon lifestyle and standards.

It's a small school centered around the Mormon lifestyle and standards.

The advice I would offer to myself if I could go back and do so would be to work diligently, and stay focused and my academics. It has taken me longer to obtain my higher education because of the immaturity I exhibited coming out of high school. I jumped into a junior college after high school, becuase that was suppossed to be the next step. I floated through my classes, and wasn't focused nor diligent in my studies. I spent two years out of the country on the islands of Samoa serving a church mission to being a servant for the people within the community. That was an extrememly positive expereince for me, and it taught me how to study and work diligently. I had to learn another language to communicate it was a very daunting task. I would tell myself that you get out of life what you put in. Succuess is earned everyday to those that WORK for it.

Nothing, I was very well prepared by my academic advisor.

Welcome to the real world. You can not just 'do enough to get by'. The curriculum is much more challenging than high school; you have to work for your grades. In regards to a social life, you can come out of your shell a little more. There are so many things to get involved in-things you did not know would pique your interest. Don't be afraid to 'sail into uncharted waters'.

The small class sizes and how accessible our professors are.

Ryan

My classmates are very diverse in personality. Brains and brawn are equally represented. Introvert and extrovert, driven and laid back, inexperienced and mature. The only things held in common are moral standards and religious views. Not everyone is LDS however, and even those of us who are are still highly individual.

Small size. The other schools I could have attended are much larger with, consequentially, much less individual a feel to them. I know my professors by first name and interact with them in the community regularly, and I recieve a personal education from them. SVU is also a liberal arts school which offers a broader educational foundation than the other schools i looked at.

Self, You know what you have learned so far, be your own person, be an individual. This is the one of the most important lessons life has to offer, don't forget it. College will allow you to become your own self more than ever, choose a school that will give you freedom to become whoever you want to be, not one that mass produces assembly line clones. I recommend SVU highly. There you won't be programmed to perform a function, you will learn to think like and be an individual. Life is dynamic, and individuality is important to succeeding. Odds are you will change occupations several times before you retire, so don't worry so much about having a set "career path," just get an education, learn, think, grow, become an enlightened individual and you will find many opportunities open to you. Other than that you are in good shape. Have fun, work hard, and be yourself.

Cara

If I had the opportunity to give my self advice as a high school senior, I would say, "Get involved!" The transtition to college life can be very difficult; however, it is much easier if you get involved and by doing so create a support system for yourself. In searching for colleges be sure to find a school that hosts programs and activities that you are interested in on a regular basis. There are many incredible and interesting people on a college campus to learn from, but you will never come to know them if you seclude yourself in your dorm room! Strive to find a balance between school, work, and fun! Doing so is absolutely necessary ito maintain sanity at critical periods during the semester, like midterms! Getting involved in study groups or tutoring is a wonderful way to do well academically! The key is to put yourself out there and get involved in your campus community!

Sometimes the campus can feel "too small" and it can be somewhat difficult to escape for a while if you do not have a car.

Any one who does not want to be expected to follow an honor code or who does not like small communities.

Madisen

My classmates are all there for the same reason; to learn. They are all willing to share their ideas and thoughts to help contribute to the class discussion. Participation in class is a big focus because it helps the students learn to share their own ideas even when they think they are already common knowledge.

Finding the right college is a very important and tough decision. My best advice I can give would be to, if possible, visit the schools the student is interested in. I was not sure where i wanted to go to college, but after I attened an open house for the shool I knew thats where I was supposed to go. Also make sure the school will work for the student and their family; financially, religiously, and in its location. Finding the right college is not just about the school itself and the acedemics, its about the location and the setting of the school. The right school is different for every student and its important to make sure all aspects of college are looked at before deciding on which one to attend.

You should not attend this school if you love the idea of college being full of people you dont know. A person who does not like to follow the rules and regulations set up should not attend because the rules are taken seriously.

laura

The only LDS, liberal arts private school.

The only LDS, liberal arts private school.

Search for schools that allow for your values. Do your research and talk to the professors before attending. Attend an open house!

Anyone willing to live by LDS values

Amber

Southern Virginia is a wonderful school and it will continue to grow and expand. However the school will never allow itself to getso big that it alienates the students. We will always be seen as people, and young scholars rather than just a number. It is impossible not to have friends or feel like you do not belong because everyone is so ready to love and accept you, faculty and students alike. The administration is remarkable and concerned about our wellfare and our future and urge us to succeed and improve in order to become leader-servants and give back to the community and our society. Southern Virginia is a beautiful place full of amazing minds and talents and it is only getting better. It is well worth a look and if you come in the fall I assure you, you will never want to leave our Eden. The mountains offer a serene quiet place to study, ponder and reflect and gives you plenty of oppotunities to discover who you really are.

The spirit is so warm, friendly and welcoming. I can truly consider this place a home. It's mountains and surrounding area is beautiful and I love it when the leaves are changing or when it snows.

Someone who is narrow-minded, prejudiced and unwilling to accept people for who they are and what they believe would not be happy at this school. People who enjoy huge party schools and big cities would not like Southern Virginia University very much either.

Jenna

It is so important to know the environment you will be in so it is important to visit the schools you are considering. It is also important that you know what you want from a college and find out what the prospective schools have to offer so you will not be disappointed. You should also learn about the rules of the school because if you don't, you could be breaking a rule that you didn't know existed. I think the most important things are that students are not forced to go to college or a particular college because they will be the one going through the experiences of a new life. The next most important thing is to have an opened mind about the school you choose. I have had a great experience at my college because I was very opened to new things.

The facilities are very unattractive and the food isn't very good.

The quality of some students and the administration doesn't make clear the individual standards emphasized so a lot of the students without those standards do not take them into account.

Alyssa

I would advise you as a student to think about what kind of atmosphere you want to be in. That will affect your entire college expereience. As a parent, I would look financially what would be the best situation for your family. Does the school offer financial aid? Are they willing to help with scholarships? To make the most out of your experience I feel that you need to keep in mind why you are there. You are there to learn but making long lasting friendships is another huge part of the process.

The professors were amazing, and there was a lot of one on one instruction. And the varsity sport I played won a national championship.

Southern Virginia University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.