Buena Vista, VA
Southern Virginia University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Southern Virginia University

william

Many people like the outdoor club and the cross country teams. I would say that the most popular activities are for the entire town also.

The classes offered are rather diverse, but the language department is lacking seeing as there is only a few teachers that know multiple languages. There would be more if enough people came in and wanted to learn a new language

Courtney

Southern Virginia is a personal, friendly campus with an environment that encourages personal growth in all areas.

Don't be afraid to ask questions about things you don't know. Take advantage of your admissions counselor. Just becasue you have money doesn't mean you should spend it. Save it. Seriously. It's okay to go to bed before midnight. The friends you make your first semester will most likely not be your best friends later on.

Someone who is ready to work hard and have and open flexible mind for learning.

Milton

They are friendly and easy to get along with.

They are friendly and easy to get along with.

I would tell myself to not worry too much with new things and being out of my comfort zone. I should embrace these changes and learn to love these new experiences. When I first started college, I was 18 years old. I was from a small village in the tiny island of American Samoa. It was my first time away from home and I experienced a huge culture shock. Eventually I drop out of school and worked for the last couple of years. I found both the courage and drive to come back again. It has been well worth it. There are plenty of people that have different backgrounds. It is in this that I can grow to experience different cultures and different opinions on subject matters. I would tell myself that it is ok to see what others see and have them see what I see. As a college student I am the architect of my destiny. I am the one who motivates myself to meet new people and wake up on time for my classes. College is a new experience and it can be scary at first. All new things are. It is well worth it though.

It is a small liberal arts college somewhat in the middle of nowhere. It is a beautiful campus in a beautiful location with a history. Every day you learn something new. The professors want to do everything they can to help you and the students are more than willing to share when it comes to books and notes from previous classes.

Dear Senior Me, Soon you are going to college, and man it will be crazy. The best advice I can tell you about transitioning, first semester will be hard, since you lost Ethan. I know working is something you feel obligated to do, but taking a semester off will be good for you. Do NOT get lazy. I know it will be difficult going to school for a long period of time with seemingly no breaks but keep going. I promise you the grades are worth the work. Also, leave high school in high school. Three years later and I don't even talk to any of them anymore, yes, even Bradin and you don't talk anymore. Don't spend all your free time lingering in the past, actually, go meet katie bug right now. She can use you. No matter how hard you think life will get during second semester, you can do it. You totally have this in the bag! Just push through and remember you are a daughter of God, and he loves you! Love, Future me

The kind of student who really enjoys small towns and close knit student bodies. The town is super small but the students really get to know each other and the professors are almost always available, during office hours or at your convienence. There is a lot of acodemic strive here for us to take advantage of. The kind of student who should come here is someone with lots of school spirit.

vance

The sologan of SVU is "the genius of small." The average class size is 25 students, and the total population of the school is a little over 700 students. We believe that our smaller class size improves the education of our students because they have a more intimate relationship with the teacher and students in the class. By the end of your first year, you recognize the majority of the students and staff, and you know and interact with many of them in classes, so students feel like a person instead of a number.

The biggest piece of advise I would have liked to know is the importance of preparation. There were classes that I did not try as hard as I could have and I wish that I had achieved better grades so that I could avoid them in college. The ammount of studying for end of term exams and Advanced Placement tests I did was minimal. Even though I passes and my grades were above C avereage, I did not recieve credit for the class. Being in college now, I wish that I had prepared better so that my time in school would be less. In addition, I only researched two schools and applied to three. Though I am happy with my decision and would not choose differently, I wish that I would have done more research to be better prepared for the demands and life of a college student. If i could ge back in time, my advice would to be proactive, and this trait is one that I am attempting to convey to my siblings so that their college experience can be richer and more productive than mine

In general, SVU is not a 'party college'. We are not near clubs, party homes, activity centers, theaters, or other gathering places, so it takes a lot of effort to be a party animal. The school also has a strict code of conduct that restricts outlandish behavior. The goal of the university is to produce hard working, well rounded, responsible, contributing members of society, and the curriculum reflects that goal. The focus is not fun and games, but games and education.

william

I think I would tell myself to search for many more scholarships and be able to do them in rapid succession. Money is the only reason I would not go to college

It is a small school where the professors know who you are and are willing to help with any problems in or out of the classroom.

The cost is the factor that I dislike most about it.

Kathryn

It's a liberal arts college so the course requirements and majors are very broad, while other colleges are very specific. It's also much smaller than the other schools I considered. The environment at Southern Virginia University is very unique on its own. I haven't seen another college like it.

First of all, just relax! It's easy to stress out about all of the new experiences that are coming your way, but just take it a step at a time and you'll make it there just fine. Extra stress is the last thing you need when you're starting college. Enjoy being new and learning how things work. Once you're there, work hard, but don't forget to make friends, smile, laugh, and experience life! If you plan well, you can have both good grades and good friends--the best of both worlds. Sometimes we get so caught up in the little details of life that we lose sight of the big picture. Take some time to think about things. What are your true goals in life? What do you want out of life? More importantly, what do you want to be able to GIVE in life? Keeping these goals in mind will help you keep your priorities in line. Instead of just surviving college, you'll be thriving in college. It will not only help you to shape your future, but it will help you to influence the lives of those around you as well.

I love the people there and everyone I meet there is friendly and welcoming. The students there have very high moral standards, and the teachers do as well. The school is extremely small, which I love. You get personal attention from the professors, you have smaller class sizes, and there are more opportunies available to each student. It's also in a beautiful place.

Victoria

I would advise myself to get to know lots of different people. It is good to have a close group of friends you can always count on, but it is never too late to make new friends. Ask for help when needed. A benefit of a small school is the professors know you and are willing to help you. Take advantage of that. Don't be afraid to step outside your comfort zone. While it is good to make friends and have a social life, it should not get in the way of studying or sleep. If you priotitize correctly, there will be enough time for everything you want to do. Get involved and have fun.

I felt prepared going into Southern Virginia, but I think it is important for prospective students to know that the school has a high attendance of LDS students. When students sign the honor code, whether a member of the LDS faith or not, they are held accountable to those standards. The religion is not pushed on to students who are not members, but it might be a big change for those of other faiths.

Students who want to attend Southern Virginia University should be interested in a liberal arts education. Not all classes will focus on the intended major, but they are classes worth taking. Students should also be prepared for a small campus. This small school setting means that students get to know each other well and quickly, which I think is a good thing. It also means the professors know the students personally. Finally, students should make education the priority.

valerie

I would tell myself that I am one of the smartest people because I always thought I was dumb and could not live up to my parents expectations. College isnt all about partying and boys, its about getting an education meeting friends that will be there forever and getting ahead in life. If you always study and stay on top of things in your life everything will flow easily and evrything in life willl come naturally. Also I would say that I should not let anyone get into the way of your success even if you are "in love" you always come first no matter what. Last, college soccer is one of the most amazing parts of college and to keep working hard to get better because you could go places with the amazing skills you have

The small and simple environment including campus honor code and the student body that have the same values as me.

Anyone should attend this school, but someone who is dedicated to succeed should go because the acceptance rate to graduate schools is amazing.

Southern Virginia University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.