Buena Vista, VA
Southern Virginia University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Southern Virginia University

Morgan

Classmates are outgoing, hard workers, intelligent, and have an idea of what they want to do with their lives.

Live in the moment you are in. You will be in college before you know it, so enjoy this time. There won't be a time like this ever again. Don't worry about what college is going to be like. You will figure out how college works when the time comes. For now enjoy being a high school senior. Enjoy your last year of high school basketball, enjoy the time you have with your high school buddies, enjoy the time with your family. Most importantly, remember that the freshman 15 is a real thing.

Someone who learns better in smaller class. Someone who is ok with small towns. Someone who will likely attend another college after graduating from this one.

Rebekah

A small, tight-knit community dedicated to making your life and others lives better in the long scheme of things.

Take your time, and choose your own path. It took me two years to get to the school that I wanted to go to. Stand up for yourself, and be willing to sacrifice your good standing with your parents. They can suggest, but you need to do what feels right for you, not placate your family. You do not have to decide what you want to do with the rest of your life right now, believe it or not you have time. Stop trying to please everybody, sometimes you need to put yourself first. I know it sounds selfish, but it is necessary I have put my own happiness aside to help someone esle too many times, and I don't want you making the same mistakes. I am not saying always put yourself first and don't do nice things. I am saying be cautious and be wise. You are going to meet people you don't get along with, or drive you crazy it's okay, you don't have to like everybody, but you should at least respect them. Give them a chance and you will be better for it. College is hard so good luck.

It is a small, amazing community; Where the classes are small and every professor knows not only your name, but how to help yyou make the best of your education. They are interested in helping you graduate. There is a honor code that makes life on campus better, because you know that every last person has the same standards as you have.

Eva

Southern Virginia University is small and they intend to stay small. They're very concerned with the education of their students rather then the maxium amount of money they can make.

To not worry so much about college. Yes, its hard and you will find yourself writing essays and doing homework at 2am, but stressing about it makes it so much worse. Just chill, be yourself and do your best.

The best thing about Southern Virginia University is the small, community-like enviroment. Everyone knows everyone and the teachers are so genuinely interested in your success and in helping you achive your goals. SVU requires excellence and honesty from all their stuents and teaches them about being Leader-Servants in the world. SVU is very much influenced by the Church of Jesus Christ, of Latter-day Saints, teaching the principles and doctrines believed by the church members, making it a very religious influenced learning enviroment that I love

Ericha

Our school may not look diverse on paper but it is in life. I feel like there are not any stereotypes here. There are many boys who play football and have the leading role in the school play. We are more than meets the eye.

The academics are rigorous work. Classes here are not easy, but they are the most rewarding. If a subject is difficult the professors are willing to help you better understand.

Marley

Dare to express yourself, even when in environments that encourage otherwise. The safety conformity promises is not only false, but also not worth the cost of silencing your personal vision and pursuits. Throw yourself into class discussions. Push yourself to be more even when you can succeed with less. Live by your standards of excellence and not the ones decided for you. Education is meant to be the bettering of yourself and you alone know your limitations and how far you can push them. Effort is the key to success and self-fulfillment. Don't let self-doubt and the fear of failure prevent you from taking advantage of any and all opportunites that come calling. Failure is inevitable, view your mistakes and the mistakes of others as lessons. Study your trials in life as you would for an education-based test and learn all you can. Discouragment is a disease. Reward yourself for your successes, revel in the simple pleasures and the hard-won moments. Let yourself feel pride in your efforts. Live life and love it. Transitioning from high school to college, from child to adult, is challenging. Let it be. You can handle this. You will.

I am most excited about attending SVU because of the intimate learning environment and the strong LDS presence on campus. At larger schools it is all too easy to become a number, a mere statistic. SVU's approach to education, their "genius of small", is designed to best help students achieve academic success while still maintaining their individuality. The LDS values that shape campus life are both complimentary to the education program and they encourage students to make connections and to foster long-lasting uplifting relationships. At SVU you not only improve as a student but also as a person.

The first response of my peers is to scoff when I tell them where I will be transferring to. "Buena Vista, Virginia?" They say, "Why would you go there?" Their attitude changes, however, when I tell of the close relationship between professor and student and of the classes sized for a personalized learning environment. Though physically distanced from much, it is impossible to feel isolated amongst the network of support the campus offers. You are not relegated to a number but maintain your individuality and, more, you would be hard-pressed to turn without finding someone willing to help you.

Nicholas

Nick, you have so much to look forward to as you prepare to attend college. Apply for scholarships!! It's never too early to start applying and working. Student loans are a pain, and when you take a lot of credits you can't work as much to pay back your loans. Listen when mom tells you to apply for scholarships. Also, have fun. Don't spend so much time with one person that you waste all of your freshman year. Date around, look for good qualities in people, and live it up. Your AP classes are like college classes. There is a lot of homework, but you can stay on top of it if you are aware of what's on the syllabus! Lastly, visit your professors during their office hours. They want you too succeed, and are there for you. Don't think you're stupid or too cool to visit with them and counsel about your papers and projects. The professors I visited became better friends, called me by name, and looked for ways to help me succeed. Study lots, and work hard. It will all pay off in the end.

Sometimes I don't get cell service or the wifi stops working while I am in the middle of doing homework or sending an email to my professors. We are in the process of a huge capital campaign to get it all fixed up nice, and need more donors!

Bailey

If I could go back to August of my senior year, I would tell myself to NOT TAKE EIGHT AP CLASSES. That was the dumbest thing I have ever done. Taking an overly demanding courseload made such a fun and crucial time in my life unnessessarily stressful and overwhelming. Yes, AP classes are great, but I should have taken a maximum of three during my senior year. I hated my jobs and the sports that I loved became a burden. I would love to go back and tell myself to take it easy. Colleges don't want unhuman super freaks who try to conquer a ridiculous course load, work two part-time jobs, play two sports, participate in National Honor Society and become the queen of the science fair. Colleges are looking for someone who can do a few things really well. Just because I was successful at three things, that does not mean I should have tried to be successful at one hundred and two things. Relax and enjoy the magic of this amazing time in your life. You can't get it back.

The best thing about this school is the small and personal learning enivronment. The average class size is sixteen and I really feel like I'll be getting a quality education.

I wish I would have known that class scheduling is not flexible. For example, Biology 1, Calculus 1 and Chemistry 1 are only offered in the fall semesters. Likewise, Biology 2, Calculus 2 and Chemistry 2 are only offered in the spring semesters. If you can't fit a class in your schedule, you have to wait an entire year to take it.

Kevin

A hodgepodge croup of individuals trying to either change their lives or discover who they are as people.

Fun, diverse and a little mix of every type of personality all mixed together.

During high school me. Get off your high horse, apply for scholarships, and starting realizing that if you don't start sooner you'll be behind everyone who is working hard and you'll be playing catch up from then on. Start researching schools, start researching jobs, start researching scholarships.

lyndsee

An uplifting place where i can earn a high education, while being surounded with students with high morals.

If i could go back in time i would tell myself that the little things are not as important as I thought. The things that will help going into college is hard work., focusing on academics and not the social life of high school. Something that would also be helpful is to save my money. I did not realize how expensive it is not living at home.

I consider the enviormnet the best thing about the school. At Southern Virginia University the envorment is a safe, and clean place. The honor code of the school helps students focus on their school work, while also having fun.

jessica

The advice I would give to myself would b to relax and not worry so much about maintaining perfect grades right off the bat. The first semester of college is going to be full of ups and downs, I need to take these as they come in stride knowing I will have plenty of opportunity to raise my grades should they drop.

Nothing, I attended an open house, the faculty and senior students and professors made sure that we knew everything we needed to know before the school year started.

The internet connection at my dorm is probably the worst thing about my school. The connection is faulty and can be agonizingly slow making it difficult to download assignments or print reports for class.

Southern Virginia University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.