Buena Vista, VA
Southern Virginia University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Southern Virginia University

michael

They are loving and caring religous people.

They are loving and caring religous people.

I would focus harder on my studies. Growing up without parents by your side telling what you need to do and when you need to do it has a great effect on a young high school student. Due to the death of my mother and being forced to move with my great grandmother i was forced to mature at an early age. I still managed to goof around on my studies between work, sports and socialization. Now that i reflect on the high school days i soon grow and wish i had dedicated myself to my studies the way i am force to now. I would tell myself that i need to put a certain amount of hours for each subject studying. I would also tell myself time is priceless and the more i waist the more i slack on my great potential. Time managment is the key to everything that we do in the college life. If i learned that at an earlier age in high school my senior year would have been a breeze.

I can not afford to attend some times. I struggle with the finacial part of school. I love it at Southern Virginia University but even though i work so hard in my classes the scare of not being able to afford it frustrates me.

H

My classmates are intellligent, focused, and enthusiastic people who want to make a difference in this world.

If I could go back in time, and talk to myself as a high school senior about college, I would emphasize three major things. First, would be to take pride in all of my work. Barely scraping by and earning average grades when I know I could do better doesn't cut it. Professors and life expect more of you when you become an "adult" and head off to college. Highschool actions create habits, and you don't want a slew of bad practices following you into the beginning of your new life. Second, I would tell myself to take advantage of all the monetary help offered to students as soon as possible. FAFSA, grants, scholarships, and many other organizations can make college life a whole lot less stressful, which then allows you to focus on your studies and interests. Finally, I'd advise my younger self to have fun. Moving out of adolescence into adulthood can be scary, but don't let that stop you. There are so many wonderful people, opportunities, places, and knowledge to be discovered and enjoyed. Take advantage of that! Make mistakes, take chances, do your best, don't be scared, and have fun!

In order to be successful at Southern Virginia University, a student needs to be dedicated, hard working, service oriented, and have high standards. The school is very small and personal and it isn't easy to slip in between the cracks. The counselors and professors expect a lot from their students and want to see recognizable improvement with each course a student completes. So, I would recommend that goal oriented, positive, and driven students attend this university.

College is such a great blessing and opportunity! My advice-get involved! From joining a club to even just showing up for class, it is important to become involved because it helps transform you into a well-rounded and successful person. There are a few reasons why this is so. Not only are you able to net-work (which will come in handy when you are trying to find a job after you graduate), but you will also develop social skills to be able to interact with others in a professional manner. The other aspect of becoming involved is simply having a release from the pressures of school. Laugh and have a good time doing the things you love to do. Life isn't meant to be all about work, or in this case school work. Don't stress too much. Relax and do your best. Things will work out in the end. Trust me, I know. I've lived through it and I'm here to tell the tail!

I wish I would have really understood how small it would be. But even though the university is small, I love it. They call it the "genius of small".

Some who loves learning in a small class size, where the professors know and care about you should come to SVU! This is school is also great for those with high moral standards, who don't want to worry about other students drinking or doing drugs. If you weren't really involved in extra curricular activities in high school, but want to start now, SVU is a great place to explore your interests.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself to not let myself get wrapped up in all of the melodramatic drama that occurs in high school. I would tell her that it is not worth it and instead, focus on studies and doing the best I can. However, I would also tell myself to have a little fun and go out and enjoy life because high school is one of the last opportunities you have to have fun with friends and go out of town and enjoy yourself. Once college starts, your life consists of work and school. I would advice myself to find the perfect balance between school and entertainment. Hang on to what's in front of you, but be prepared to let it go.

lakeith

i havent attend for a semester yet

i havent attend for a semester yet

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a senior in highschool I would be very decriptive about the things i need to know and need to do. First of all my gpa is very important. I would highly stress that the grades are very important but also not just average. A 2.0 isn't bad but anything above a 3.0 is what will get you where you need to be and not where you can be. Everything you do in highschool is preperation for the next step and that is college. Also if I could talk to me as a senior in highschool I would change my priorities, the way I think, and the way I do things. If you start good habbits out before in the classroom success will follow you in and out of the classroom. Study habbits, test scores, and preparation for quizez are vital to succeed. Focusing is also a huge role because as a young adult you get side tracked by your friends, peers, and activities so if I could go back and talk to me as a senior Focusing would absolutly definitly be the main focus point!

A non religous person, no one without any discipline or have trouble following rules, also no one that isn't accountable

Collin

If I could travel into the past and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would sure have a lot of advice to give myself. In high school, I was always a good student. I did my homework, did well on tests, and even got college credit. But as I look back, I never really knew how important it was to learn. Throughout these four or so years that it has been since I graduated form high school, I have realized just how much I cruised through school without having a direction or a final goal in mind. Every small amount of knowledge learned can be applied in your life somehow. If I had only known how important learning was, I would have been so much more prepared to make decisions and take on a career. I have also learned that when you know what you want to do in life, it makes it so much easier to learn and then apply that which you have learned. Seek to find your passions in life while you are young so you can make a difference in the world as you grow up, not only when you are grown up.

The best thing about my school is the wonderful learning environment it gives to its students. The class sizes are small and the teachers get to have a close friendship with the students to help them learn more effectively. The professors are very well educated and overly qualified. Also, with the strong LDS environment that the school has, it is a safe place to be far from the bad temptations of the world. Lastly, being an NCAA Division III school, it gives a great opportunity for many to become student athletes in a very competitive athletic conference.

The worst thing about my school would most likely be the facilities. They are very outdated and due to the institute being a small private university, they don't have too much money to spend on nice additional facilities that aren't high priority. Besides that, some people don't like how small the school is, although many do. Also, the school is located in a small town kind of in the middle of nowhere. It is very beautiful but some find it hard to find many things to do in their spare time.

Keelie

My school is tiny and not very well known. The more unique things about it include it's LDS atmosphere and the fact that a school so small has NCAA athletic programs

The best advice I could get as a new freshman would be to go to class even though you don't technically have to. There is more useful information given in class than you can glean from the textbooks. The readings are typically explained in a way for you to understand which will definitely help on exam day. The next bit of advice I could have used would be enjoy the college experience which is a balance between work and play. If you want to play hard, you have to work hard. Many new freshman get to college and think "No rules, lets party!" That is not the way to succeed. Do your homework first, party after.

I've found the most frustrating thing about school is the fact that I am completely responsible for everything. Don't get me wrong, it's good to have responsiblities. What's frustrating is that, when or if I fail I have no one to blame but myself. It's frustrating because I often choose fun over studies which typically leads to my failures.

Do what you love. Sure, it would be great to have a degree that will get you a well paying job, but if you don't have a passionate interest in the subject, you're going to be miserable. Look at your talents and what you enjoy doing, and base your decision on that more than anything else. Don't stress out about picking a major either; you have your whole life ahead of you. You're 18 - no one expects you to have it all figured out yet. Try different things in college; take classes that sound interesting, participate in activities, and use this time to figure out what you could see yourself doing for a lifetime. Experiment as much as you want. The most important thing is to do what you love so you can love what you do.

Maryn

SVU is a great place for those students who want to maintain the smallness and intimacy of high school and want to enjoy an uplifting LDS environment.

The people I have met at SVU have been extremely kind, friendly, and hospitable; they have taken me in and made me their friend.

High-school Maryn had a good idea of what to expect academically from college: she knew it would be challenging and finding and deciding on a major might take a couple years. But what she didn't know was the emotional and social transition it can be. If I could talk to her now, I would urge her to be grateful for the time she has with her family. They are her best friends and biggest support, and she may not be around them her entire college career. I would tell her to work hard and save lots of money to help pay for wherever she may feel she needs to travel and go study. I would tell her to be practical, but never lose sight of her dreams. Pursue what makes you happy; don't be afraid to love school. Don't be afraid to immerse yourself in studies that may not "get you a good job". Never sacrifice what you love and what you feel is right because you're afraid of hardship in the future. Hardship will come anyway; you might as well do what you love!

Alyssa

If I were to go back to tell myself what I should have done better to make my life in college better I would be quite blunt with myself. I would say that I need to save my money, so I can have what I need and be able to have fun, and do things. I would tell myself to look at scholarships better. I wasted my time procrastinating, and if I didn't do that I wouldn't be struggling to continue attending this school. I would tell myself to take my studies seriously. I would want to have better study habits, and not be such a procrastinator. I would also say to do as much as I can to be involved. I am a shy person, and being ablt to do things would be a lot easier, if I had worked on it better beforehand. These are the best I can think of, its the phrase work hard, or go home. If I would have worked harder, I wouldn't have the looming idea of having to go home soon.

The worst thing about the school, is the internet connection. I know peole may think differently, thinking that the Honor Code is the worst, or that the school is small is a bad thing. But the surrounding community is wonderful, and mostly everyone is friendly. But as a computer geek, I would say the internet is terrible. Sometimes it barely works! That is the worst thing that I can come up with about the school, becuase everything else is fantastic.

If someone is planning to attend this school, it would be a fantastic opportunity for him/her. The thing they need to know though, is the honor code. This school follows guidelines to keep the community safe, and more focused on what is important. As students the honor code is a set of guidelines we need to live by. There is not tolerance of alcohol or drugs on campus, or of violence, and innapropriate dress. Everyone is supposed to be well groomed. There is also no tolerance of lying, cheating or stealing. Which makes the campus better.

Southern Virginia University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.