Buena Vista, VA
Southern Virginia University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Southern Virginia University

If I could go back in time and give advice to my high school self about college, I would give myself the advice to listen, enjoy and absorb everything I can. I would say to listen to my professors more; the things they have to teach, especially in those freshmen core classes, is so incredibly important. Those core classes lay out the basic foundation for the rest of your education, and not only that, they are some of the most profound and interesting classes you will ever take. I would tell myself to enjoy the learning experience of those early classes, because it took me until the end of my sophmore year to start to enjoy college, and I wish I had begun sooner. I would also tell myself to absorb and learn as much as I could, to study diligently. I would tell myself, it's not about the finals or midterms, it's about the life long lessons you are learning, that you will use for the rest of your life.

I think the best thing about my university is it's commitment to high standards, especially in a world where many people reject moral accountability, this school emphasises it extensively.

Southern Virginia University is a school focused on these five core values: responsibility, accountability, scholarship, descipleship, and enthusiasm.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a highschool senior my life would be completely different. From the start of senior year, I would tell myself to take high school more serious. I would tell myself to take less hours at work, or not be active in alot of clubs/organizations. I would tell my younger self, that I should not be in such a rush to grow up fast. Being considered adult in the real world is not all fun and games, its hard work. Listen to your parents, they have your best interest at heart. Do not be so fast to move out on your own. A broke college student don't seem surreal until its you begging your parents for money. Also, be wise with your money especially with your finanical aid (netcheck). You do not want to know what it feels like to be evicted from student housing. Know that it is people that would love to be in your spot, so don't take nothing for granted. Most importantly I would say to have safe fun. For it is college, but you do have only one life. So live it.

Brandon

I would tell myself how important it is to take advantage of all the opportunities that are available. As high school students, we often don't think about what a difference taking a few of the harder classes might make, especially as we are coming to the end of our high school career. There are AP classes, or programs that allow us to take some college courses free of charge. My advice is to do these things as much as possible. Sometimes it seems like it would just be easier to worry about it afterwards, but it isn't. As seniors, we feel like we're already adults, but we're not. We don't know what it's like to pay for our education, to be in a situation where maybe there isn't always someone else enouraging us. One of my greatest regrets is that I did not take advantage of all of my time in my senior year. I took the easy road, and now I'm paying more and working harder because of it.

The small class size and the way professors are available to help. I like the way I feel at home here. I'm pretty busy most of the time, but I know whenever I want to do something, I can find something to do.

Sometimes it's frustrating not having all the classes I would like to take. Because of the low number of students, some classes are only offered once (or less) per year, especially in the less popular majors.

symone

My classmates are very friendly and helpful to everyone around.

My classmates are very friendly and helpful to everyone around.

If I could go back in time I would tell myself to get a job at a young age and save money because college is super expensive!

The most frustrating thing about my school is being so far away from home.

Bryan

They are wonderful, a fairly young school when I attended but overall fantastic.

I believe it is best known for the athletics, most of the students are athletes, and there is a great oportunity to play.

I would just give the simplest advice I could; Prepare for the classes, apply for all scholarships, find a job, push yourself to the limit, enjoy every minute, make decisions early and remember why you are going to school.

Austyn

Southern Virginia University is a great environment that helps encourages students to be outgoing, express themselves, make friends, and have good, clean fun.

I would tell myself to not be scared. I'm from Nevada and going to a university all the way in Virginia was intimidating to me. I also would tell myself to not hide my talents. The only way we develop or learn talents is by sharing them. I would have told myself to get involved earlier. It took me awhile to get involved, but once I made the decision to, my campus life became so much better. I would tell myself to really try harder on my schoolwork, and not fall behind. Lastly, I would tell myself to not complain about the honor code that we are required to live by. I have learned that it is for our benefit and only helps us, while creating a safe and clean environment for learning.

I wish I would have known that I don't have to be shy and try to fit in. Everyone at Southern Virginia University sees the good in everyone, and really encourage you to be yourself. Also, don't be shy with your talents. Southern Virginia University really encourages students to share and develop their talents, because it is a liberal arts school.

Jill

I am unable to answer this question as I have not actually attended this school yet.

I would tell myself that your GPA and test scores really do matter! I would also say that whomever said High School is the best four years of your life never went to college. My college experience has been like none other and the main reason is because I got involved. So I would tell myself to get involved in High School and stay involved in college. Your grades will stay up adn you will fall in love with whatever school you are attending. My last piece of advice is that it's okay to miss home, and you will, but don't dwell on it. Call your mom and then get your butt to class! Don't be a hermit, no matter how badly you want to be. Get out of the corner and get on the dance floor!

I will be a transfer student this fall so I am unsure of what this campus will have in store for me. I am trying to do the best research I can and so far the faculty has been very helpful.

Amy

That you should not be scared of deciding on a career path. To just try it and if you make a mistake try something else. That you are smart enough and will achieve great things. When you are at college emerge yourself into it. Be outgoing in nature introduce yourself to five people that you don't know a day. Join a group or organization and get involved. Go to class and be on time. Read the chapters that class will be covering before you go to that class. Find your academic help center as this place will look over your papers and will help with editing. Find a study group and surround yourself with friends who will take school seriously. That kind of positive environment will help you be successful and stick through it. The biggest thing we lose when we go to college is our support group so you have to make a new one. Have positive fun. Drinking alcohol is not something that is going to help you in the long and should be avoided and most of the time it isn't fun either. I know losing your dad was hard but seek help, counseling.

Marisa

Follow your gut. I know you're going to get the feeling that you need to go to Brigham Young University, because Mom went there and you feel like you'll find your husband there. But it's not the right place for you. Southern Virginia is where you need to be. It's where you're going to find the woman that you want to be. It's where you're going to expand your mind and learn things that you've never even dreamed of. It's where you're going to make some of the best friendships and meet some of the most wonderful people. It's where you're going to make a difference in life. It's where you're going to learn the importance of time-management, priorities, true friends, education and a smile. You think you have a good hold on your life now? You have no idea. You're going to experience things that will test you in every area of your life. But you're going to come out on top every time. Why? Because you're a Southern Virginia Knight. Take pride in that.

Here at Southern Virginia, there is a Code of Honor. In this Code, that every student has to sign before attending this school, it states that we uphold specific standards to try to be the best students/friends/citizens/people we can be. Someone who cannot stay true to this Code would have a difficult time staying. Things that we agree not to do are things such as consuming alcohol, participating in drugs or immoral activites, etc. Southern Virginia is a great place. But if one isn't willing to live by the rules, it isn't the right place.

I brag most on the people. The people here are so kind and accepting. They have a specific light to them, that shines in their eyes and in their smile, that just makes you feel loved and wanted. People on campus are always willing to help or lend a hand to someone in need. They are always performing service. The people are the biggest reason why I felt like I needed to be here. Being at this school makes me a better person. I want to be the best person I can be.

Patrice

Southern Virginia University is the perfect enviroment to grow in; people here grow mentally, physically, socially, and spiritually through small classes, high standards, overqualified professors, and caring peers.

Hindsight is 20/20. If there was some way that I could have known about the costliness of college while i was in high school I would have thought twice about neglecting my homework. As a senior in highschool, I was so sure that because of my mom's financial situation I would be paid for fully by the government and college. I found out late however that need based financial aid only makes a tiny dent in vast expense of college. I don't regret going to my university, or the small fortune spent to go here. I do regret the misused highschool summers that could have been spent saving money. I also regret the 3.0 GPA average that I coasted on in my false sense of security. The transition into college was easy. It's the transition out of college and into the real world of student loan debt that I expect to be very difficult. That expectation is why I'm now earning a 3.8 GPA. If I could have done one thing different, I would have had that expectation from the start.

Any student that comes to Southern Virginia University is welcomed in by an enthusiastic crowd of genuine people and by the end of the first semester the new student will have definitely become a better person than what they started out as.

Southern Virginia University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.