Buena Vista, VA
Southern Virginia University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Southern Virginia University

Malorey

If I could give my high school self advice about college, I would tell her three things. To start, I would tell her to be patient. I have learned that patience is a virtue and one of the essential qualities that will not only get you through college but life as well. Things aren’t going to happen when you want them too and that’s okay. The longer you are willing to wait for something the more value it has to you. Next is to relax. You cannot control every aspect and outcome in your life. Problems will come up where there is no solution and you’re just going to have to go with the flow. It’ll all work out in the end and if it doesn’t, it’s not the end. My last and most important piece of advice I would give her is to trust in the Lord. Have the faith that He will take care of you as go through college and also through life. He will help you become who you need to be, learn what you need to learn and take you to where you need to go.

Those who wish to attend Southern Virgina University should be a person with high standards and moral values. The SVU Honor Code closely follows the values of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, or the Mormon church, and its standards. In fact this school's Honor Code closely follows the Honor Code that you would find at one of the BYU schools. A propective student planning on attending SVU should encompass its five core values which are scholarship, discipleship, accountability, enthusiasm, and refinement. They should be eager to learn, serve, be obedient, have fun and improve themselves.

Adam

If I could go back in time I would have taken my foreign language classes during high school. The running start programs offered in many areas would be another resource that I would have taken advantage. I would have also taken more math and science classes as I am now struggling though college level math and science classes.

I believe that individuals who plan on attending Southern Virginia University should be comfortable with reading and writing. The course load at a Liberal Arts College requires a proficiency in these areas. In addition, individuals who are interested in being involved in athletics, student council, arts should attend this university.

If you have a specific degree in mind, be advised that there is a limited amount of options at Southern Virginia University. There is also a strict honor code that may not be for everyone. The norms of college life are not so at Southern Virginia University; drinking, smoking, recreational drug use, premarital sex is not permitted.

Patrick

My classmates are helpful, intellegent and a few are kind of annoying.

My classmates are helpful, intellegent and a few are kind of annoying.

If i could reurn and talk to myself as a high school senior there are many tips that i would of greatly appreciated knowing before i started college such as the importance of time management and organization. My freshman year was a disaster because i was so not used to the need to study hours upon hours every week for every class. Another thing that i would of told myself is to not be as worried about making money at your future job. Do something that you enjoy doing and it will be as if you never worked a day in your life, however untill you reach that ideal job dont be too proud to work flipping burgers in order to get by because once you reach your dreams it all becomes worth it. The last and most important piece of advise that i would give myself if i were to go back is to make sure God is a priority in your life and that to serve others is more important than earning a 97 percent instead of a 93 percent because they are both an A in the class but with one you served another.

Someone who focuses on their studies, who enjoy small class sizes, enjoys being active in their school and who is interested in becoming a better all around person.

Brian

If I could go back in time and talk to my previous high school senior self, I would say to prepare. Not just financially, but also academically and emotionally. I would tell myself do get a full-time job, and work long hours. Additionally I would tell myself that my grades do matter in high school, and that I would need to fortify myself emotionally for the coming trials ahead. Lastly I would tell my former self of the importance of being independent. I believe if I knew what I know now then my life would be far more certain and hopeful than it is now.

I consider myself very fortunate to attend this university. This university is not perfect however and my main concern is the cost of the school. Even with scholarships and a part-time job, I find myself without enough. Times have been incredible hard for my family so sometimes I feel as if I am barely getting by. The quality of education is high here and if I manage to finish school then I believe I will be well off. At times I wonder if I will ever be able to finish school because of its high costs.

The type of person that should attend this university is one who takes his or hers academics exceedingly seriously. This school is difficult and challenges one to do his or hers best work. With that said one who wishes to attend this school must be hardworking, enthusiast, and caring.

Victoria

If I could go back in time and talk to my senior self I would tell myself to start saving for college. When I was in high school I didn't save as much as I should have and I realize that now. If I had saved up some more money I would have a lot less to worry about. I would ask my parents to save some money from each of their checks. Even if they could save about $10 from each pay check it would start to build up. Another piece of advice I would give high school Vicki is to be myself. When I first started college I had a hard time making friends because I was afraid of what people would think of me. I was afraid I would say something that sounded stupid and people would make fun of me. Soon I started feeling more comfortable and now I have a group of wonderful and amazing friends and I am always looking for more.

I wish I had known that everyone there will accept me for who I am and won't make fun of me.

the spirit on this campus is so amazing and everyone is so friendly

Kaitlin

I would tell myself to get in the habit of being focused and turning things in on time. I would tell myself that it's not the same in college and that you have to hold yourself to a higher standard because in a large university, no one else is going to look out for that kind of thing. I'd tell myself to start getting into good habits about talking to people and reaching out so I wouldn't feel so lonely when I went to school every day inside my shell. I'd definitely tell myself to be ready for anything, and to look forward to changes that are a part of the process.

The worst thing is that not all credits are transferable, but that's how it is with almost any college or university.

The kind of person who likes being in contact with professors and needs one on one help. Someone who likes commiting themselves to their morals and is okay with being held acountable if their morals fail.

Alaura

If I had to give my high school senior self advice, it would be to not be so uptight. That college isn't just about oing well in classes and getting a career started. It is about living on your own and being able to love yourself.

The worst thing at Southern Virginia University is that on Sundays the campus cafe is closed.

Anyone can attend this school, there is no prejudice on anyone. This environment is very nuturing and loving, and there is always a lot of help provide if needed.

Desiree

Southern Virginia University allows students a wholesome LDS environment where they are engaged in both the classroom and the community. Because of the smaller size of this magnificent university, students are able to interact with professors on a personal level which greatly enhances education. SVU is also a liberal arts college, so students are invited to explore a variety of engaging subjects as they learn how to become critical thinkers, communicate effectively, and gain and express enlightened opinions. Students who gain an education at SVU are prepared to enter the workforce or graduate school with outstanding confidence.

Dear Desiree, This is your future self, and I would like to provide you with some words of advice before you enter college. First of all, enjoy high school. Enjoy being able to spend time with your friends and family members who love you. Second, study for the ACT much more. A high ACT score will seriously enhance your opportunities for getting a scholarship. Third, do not give up on anything. If you know that "A" is attainable in math, no matter how often you need to go to th tutors, attain that "A." You can do it. Fourth, shoot for at least a 4 on the A.P. tests because some colleges only count 4's and above as college credit. Fifth, never change your dreams just because you feel intimidated by someone else. Take that intimidation and turn it into motivation to do even better. Sixth, get involved in extracurriculars, but manage your time carefully and put homework ahead of spending time with friends. Seventh, don't stress too much! High school (and life) is to be enjoyed. Embrace it and treasure each precious moment, because those moments don't last forever. Best of luck, Your future self

The most frustrating thing about Southern Virginia University for most students, including myself, is probably the price. Even though the price is relatively low for a private university, compared to public colleges it is quite expensive. Many students come to SVU and love it, but are not able to stay because of financial reasons. However, if a student can find a way to make it affordable, the valuable education gained at SVU will be well worth it.

Thomas

The sense of belonging that accompanies the students. The students who come here are drawn here, they feel almost like they are coming home.

For starters, i would tell myself not to rely so much about what people say around me, i have the complete ability to make my own decisions, and i do not have to bend to the whims of those around me simply because i am not what they prefer. but in that sam breath a reminder to follow the rules given by the institution, because they are there to protect both the faculty and the students from harm both physically and on a higher more buisness level. people are not likely to hire someone who is known simply as a partier

Someone who will be unwilling to live by the standards and requirements that are presented him/her.

Brady

First of all I would tell myself to establish a better relationship with my family. It's amazing how much I began to realize the important people in my life meant to me, and al the things I could have done differently in order to show them more love and compassion. I would have been interested to know in high school that college would be a lot like highschool, but that there is a lot more responsibility placed on my shoulders for assignments and such. In the college world if I need or want something done, it's up to me to do it. There are people to help me along the way, but my mother isn't here, nor my father, to do the things I normally took for granted at home. Overall, I would tell myself to learn to be more responsible, because it will be practice for what it is like away from home. Even though I was not a "terror" child, it is incredible to look back and realize just how easy I had it.

I wish I would have known how different the east coast is from the west coast, having never been east of Texas. Although it is a small town, it seems like a car is still needed to go anywhere. Most of the places for shopping and such are over ten miles from here, which would have been nice to know, as well as the knowledge of there being virtually no hiking trails in virginia. A better sense of physical organization would have been nice, and well as the patience to deal with overly messy roomates.

When I brag about my school to my friends, I mostly tell them about the incredibly small class size and what a quality education this school offers. The teachers know most of there students by name, and although it is a small school, everyone is very nice and you make a lot of friends very quickly. I would tell them there is a reason our school's slogan is "the genius of small", because everyone here recieves a very personalized education, unlike larger universities with class sizes approaching one hundred men and women.

Southern Virginia University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.