Southern Virginia University Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Southern Virginia University

Miranda

Southern Virginia University is a Latter-Day Saint campus that uplifts students, encourages unity, teaches honesty, and values hard work. Every student feels included and cared for by classmates, teachers, and faculty. The spirit felt here inspires every visitor to become a Southern Virginia Knight!

Southern Virginia University is a great school with an amazingly high vision. One of the many things that stands out to me , as a student here, is the atmosphere. It is and amazing place to get a great education. The students as well as the faculty have high sights on the great potential that they can achieve.

Desiree

I love that Southern Virginia University is a tight-knit, family-like community. My favorite thing about being a student here is that I feel like my professors are really on my side and will do whatever it takes to help me succeed - even if it means meeting numerous hours after class. And something really cool? I've even eaten dinner at a few of my professor's houses! I don't think that happens everywhere.

Sienna

Southern Virginia University is a small Liberal Arts school. The classes are small which is great. It means the teachers really take the time to know your name and how you're doing in the class. They're always available to help you if you need it. They love working here and just being here in general. In fact a few teachers even volunteer here just so that they can share what they know. They keep you interested during classes by sharing their knowledge and experience. When classes aren't in session, the Activities Committee always makes sure there's something going on during the weekends. We usually have a Movie Knight--get it, cause we're the Knights, haha--once a month. Along with that, we have some kind of dance once a month as well. The dances are a lot of fun. It's a great way to spend time with friends and dance and let the stress of the week from classes out. The school is strongly affiliated with the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, so the institute is right here on campus as well. The school allows the institute to also hold activities during the week. There's always something to do through the school or through the institute. Because of the smallness, everyone knows everyone which is great because it allows you make friends. You'll be walking down the street and a random person will say hi to you and smile and after the fifth time, you won't even find it weird anymore. It's just part of the beauty of going to a small school.

Justin

Southern Virginia is perfect for the student who is looking to play sports and focus on academics at the same time. The college is very small making it very easy to play the sport you would like in college. Also, because it is so small the teacher to student ratio is awesome. Teachers are very helpful and look for opportunities to help students understand the concepts they are teaching. The downsides of the college is that it is in a very small town and there is not much to do off campus, unless you have a car on campus.

Alexandra

If you are looking for a small liberal arts college then this is the place for you! We have small class sizes so our professors know all their students by name and are aware of everybody within the classroom and outside. We are in NCAA d3 and are big into our sports as well as performing arts.

Ethan

SVU is a great school, and can be tons of fun too. But here's the thing: it's not for everyone. It's not even for most people. If you're someone who loves to party, and wants that to be a huge part of your college experience, SVU isn't for you. If you're not interested in having a major liberal arts experience, SVU isn't for you. If you're not willing to live by the honor code, SVU definitely isn't for you. But if you like a small-school vibe with tons of varying opportunities, excellent professors who are available constantly, and a college experience unlike any other, well, SVU might be for you.

Sheridn

Small campus, small class sizes, great interactive classes an learning style. Professors who care and are willing to go above and beyond to help students succeed. Clean living and safe atmosphere thanks to the Code of Honor which all students must sign and agree to live by in order to attend here. Lots of fun events and plenty of opportunities to get involved!

Kaela

Southern Virginia University is a really clean campus. You never see litter on the ground and the overall campus greenery is well-kept. Though the school could work a little bit more on being green (recycling), it is still very economically friendly. The staff and security are very friendly and it is easy to make friends in general with them and of course other students. Students are well-groomed and hold high expectations for themselves and hold high standards for others. There is an honor code that the teachers expect us to abide by; in doing this, we look like professionals and this helps the school look better as well. There is a fantastic fine arts program and lots of sports teams to choose from. Most of the students are involved in either sports, music, student government, or smaller clubs to fellowship with other students. Southern Virginia University is yes, small, but we are mighty. Every year, the size of the student body grows and this is exciting to see because then this will give the school more opportunities to shine their light and be better known in the nation… perhaps someday even the world will know who SVU is. GO KNIGHTS!

Delcia

Southern Virginia University is absolutely amazing. The atmosphere is amazing, everybody is friends with each other, the teachers are always available and they are patient and understanding. There class sizes are perfect. I can't imagine getting as great of a college experience anywhere else.

I absolutely love Southern Virginia University. The students and faculty are fantastic and it is easy to have good relationships with even the dining service workers and grounds keepers. There is nowhere else I would rather be getting my education. As if the academics and environment aren't enough, I have been blessed with the best roommates ever.

Erik

Amazing place to get a 4 year degree. We have incredibly available professors that are there to help you succeed. A story told recently by our university professor about our professors was that at one time a TA was in charge of grading assignments but the professor noticed that when he personally graded assignments students tended to score better. So that professor grades all assignments now. Your professors know you by name and you are never alone. You have the tools to succeed here. Go make it happen! We have a latter- day saint environment where you can feel a peace on campus that is unique to our campus. Great place to learn. Come and see

Zoe

I love Southern Virginia University! There are so many different things that make this school worthy of a five star rating. Academically, it is challenging. This enables us to learn and grow exponentially, with the help of our professors. Due to our small classes, it is easier to gain help from our professors, who have a personal interest in every students education. We are encouraged to do our very best, not only academically, but in all aspects of our lives. Southern Virginia also has many extracurricular activities, such as sports and clubs. If there isn't a club you wish to join, you can always start your own! The people are friendly and extremely welcoming, the campus is safe and risk free, and we have an Honor Code that creates a stellar learning environment. The on-campus food is mediocre, but our town has many places to eat and we are only a few miles from beautiful Lexington. Since Lexington and Buena Vista are both so small, if we want to go shopping or do other activities we must drive to Roanoke or Washington D.C. Overall Southern Virginia University is a fantastic school, and I would highly recommend it to anyone looking for a small liberal arts education.

Brandon

Southern Virginia is a great school and I would recommend it to anyone!

Rebekah

The teachers are great, but the students need to grow up. It is like the classic high school movie everyone is in a clique. You can't walk up and talk to someone as a friend because it is frowned upon. Most of the kids are two-faced because they are acting like high school popular kids. The administration is also very hard to get a hold of, you don't know who to talk to for anything because the faculty is left in the dark by a poor leadership that makes decisions without them A LOT. I would only recommend going here if you are not ready for college life and you just want to relive high school. The art program is pretty well funded especially the music program they have the most money after the sports teams. They do have a high rate of people getting accepted into Pre-med programs, but that is due to the amazing chemistry professor Dr. van Kuiken. She is responsible for its success since the school doesn't even support the Pre Med Society. There isn't much for science or pre-medical students. As for their computer/tech classes, I think they are decent. I personally haven't taken one but a couple of my friends are majoring in it and they are satisfied with their teachers and funds. The school is rapidly growing, but they don't have space so it might be snugger than what is advertised. They also talk openly in class about LDS beliefs since pretty much everyone is a Mormon, but even the Mormons are uncomfortable by it when the teacher talks about it for no reason unless they are talking about an activity at the church that is open to the public. The teachers and staff are wonderful despite being helpless since they are left in the dark, otherwise, they are very knowledgeable, open, available, fair, and approachable.

I currently attend Southern Virginia and it is an excellent school that provides a wonderful liberal arts education. Academically speaking it is great. I love the professors and their classes. The social situation on campus is good as well. The only thing I am not a fan of is how expensive on campus housing is and the meal plan is equally expansive, but the food is not that great.

Ammon

Southern Virginia University (SVU) is small liberal arts school dedicated to student’s success in the world, workplace, home, community, church. It’s a small school with a big heart. The class sizes are small and so you get a lot of one on one time with some world renown professors. The professors know you name and truly care about you and help you get to where you want to go in life. SVU is a place where you can double major be in student government, athletics and still do many other things you want to. Southern Virginia University has a large population of members who are of the LDS faith, however, it is not a church school, it is a private university. SVU is in the Shenandoah valley and, therefore, has a lot of rich history and a great view. It's just an overall great place.

Sallie

SVU is a small liberally arts school, focused on teaching students how to think and learn. They prefer to have small classes so students can really get to know and work with the professors. The classes focus on teaching from the sources; instead of reading textbooks about Socrates’ ideas, students read Plato’s dialogues. This school is perfect for anyone who does not want to feel like a small fish in a big school.

Jordan

The campus over all is excellent. The teachers are very accessible, and very willing to help students in anyway they can. Since the campus is small everyone is close and you get to know a lot of people. The only down fall with the small campus is not a lot of on campus jobs. This is a problem for most students since a lot of us have to work. But with out that our campus is beautiful, and is a great place to be.

Bradleigh

If small towns and friendly people are your thing, SVU might just be the perfect fit for you. I absolutely love it there. It's nestled right into the Blue Ridge Mountains, and the scenery is gorgeous. The town is really small, and the university even smaller, but it has a very friendly and close-knit environment as a result. The teachers are incredible - they love their job and they are good at it. Pros: amazing teachers, great academics, supportive and caring environment, gorgeous location Cons: small, not many places to eat on campus

Overall, I have found that my stay at Southern Virginia University was a good learning experience. It can be a very nurturing environment for members of the LDS faith, however, the students tend to be ignorant of others who are not of their faith. The professors are fantastic, and most of them take the time to cater to your personal scholastic needs and goals. The food is sub-par, especially for those who have dietary restrictions. There is not much partying on campus, and although there is not much to do in the surrounding area, the natural surroundings are beautiful.

Alyssa

I love Southern Virginia University! The small campus atmosphere is very homely and interactive, and it is extremely easy to get in touch with any of the many hard-working staff members. The small class size and dedicated professors makes the experience personal to every single student who attends, but the academics are still at a very high level. The staff members are all very friendly and accommodating, and the student housing is very nice as well. The cafeteria food is better than anything I ever ate during my middle and high school years, although it can be pricey to eat there and the food is not always as good as it can be. Overall, I love Southern Virginia University. There is nowhere else I'd rather be!

S

I love Southern Virginia University! It is a wonderful University! I love the LDS Environment and the small class sizes. The professors are so wonderful and accessible. I have learned so much about myself and about my future from my professors. Southern Virginia University has truly changed my life for the better! Go Knights!

Meredith

It’s great because of the supportive community and small class sizes. The campus is currently undergoing a lot of changes and improvements that are great for students. The teachers are incredibly supportive and help out a lot. The school isn’t incredibly well organized and sometimes it’s difficult to get questions answered or help received, not because the staff dont care but because there’s just not very many of them or the information isn’t easily accessible. The size of the student population is incredibly small, which I find a plus in the classes but a slight bummer when it comes to campus life. Overall, I like the school and as a transfer student, its the best of the colleges I’ve attended. But its definitely not perfect.

Gabriella

It’s not worth the money. There are nice and big infestations in most of the buildings and the only thing the school does to fix the problem (if they bother to put any effort in at all) is put useless traps down. The housing and building are dirty. It’s rare to find a building with vent heating. The classrooms get so cold that you need a coat. They misuse the money we give them. It takes a semester to get anything done. The list goes on and on.

Mallorie

SVU is a great university for those who want more one-on-one attention and guidance. I recommend coming to SVU if you know what you want and want a place where they can be involved in whatever they want. The professors are very personable and willing to help you with whatever you need. The campus and students are very welcoming, and you will never have to compromise your values or beliefs.

I love Southern Virginia University. The environment is so amazing. The campus is fairly small so it is easy to get to know a lot of the other students. There are lots of different activities to do. If you like history, this is the place to be. There is so much history in Virginia! If you like nature and being outside there are so many different hikes and other activities to do. Everyone is so kind and friendly. The small classrooms make it easy to have one on one time with the professors and easy to understand the work. All the professors work so well with the students, especially for different sporting events. This school is absolutely amazing and I have never once regretted going.

Beryl

I love Southern Virginia University. I love the community and I especially love my relationships with my professors; they are so helpful and more than willing to help out. There's lots of ways to get involved and the performances are amazing. The choirs, band, and orchestra are amazing, and the theatrical productions are extremely well done. SVU is a small community but that's part of its beauty; the sense of unity is so strong. Overall, there's just such a positive atmosphere at SVU.

Shylee

Southern Virginia University is a small school in a small town. It’s unique and I wouldn’t have traded my first year experience at SVU for anything. The professors are more than willing to provide help because they want to see you succeed. Because it is so small, the ability to provide the additional help you may need is available. They know you by name and their placement rates are incredible. The campus is beautiful and rustic. When you walk on campus you can smell all of the fresh trees and surrounding the campus paths. The crimson red buildings are elegant and tall. With the bright sun and humid wind blowing throughout the year, you will see pages of studying students rustle throughout the campus table and benches. In the bright green grass, someone is always playing a song on the guitar or playing a sport. The student body is so outgoing and there is always something happening on campus for students to participate in. Sports are highly encouraged and the teams are like families. The encouragement from the student body creates booming throughout the arena that will last in you ears and throats for days. Not only is the campus beautiful and the school spirit high, anyone involved with the school is amazing. I have never met people that are so kind and willing to help with anything you may need. The ability to make anyone feel loved is such an easy job for the people here. There is never a dull moment on this small town campus if you’re willing to try new things.

Merideth

I love Southern Virginia University! They are a great school and really look to help their students succeed. Professors are so willing to help you with class if you are not understanding the material right away. If the professor isn't available for some reason there are tutors to help you understand too. They make it so easy to succeed. The class sizes are small and intimate. I love this because it allows you to make connections with your classmates as well as with you professor which is super important for the future. There are lots of clubs and sports which makes it super easy to get involved and find that group of people where you feel like you belong.

Brianna

Don't work for them after graduation. You'll either be overworked, unappreciated or let go without warning or cause. Some professors were treated unfairly for their opinions outside of the institution. As a student, I adore and love and endorse Southern Virginia. However, as an alumnus, I am the total opposite. I wouldn't trade my time (as a student) at the university. But the abrupt (and at times corrupt) changes, views, and faculty, staff, board of directors have come to reverse my decision 180 degrees.

Cale

Southern Virginia University can be the best or worst depending what someone likes. The campus is very small, only 1000 students and it is located in a small town, if you like a small town feel it is a good place to go. Sports are a huge deal and everyone is welcome, if you really want to play a sport in college even if you haven’t played it much you can at least join a team and work on your skills. Other than sports the school is big into the arts such as music and theater. I personally don’t like it because I like hot weather and big towns.

Katrina

This school is the perfect place for me. I don't really know much on the sports aspect of this school because I'm not into sports, but I can tell sports and sport events are offered. The school does offer more core classes than other colleges though so that if you don't know where you are going the path to get your degree is shorter if you choose to change your major.