Marshall, MN
Southwest Minnesota State University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Southwest Minnesota State University

I really love SMSU! This was my first tour of colleges before I started and I fell in love with it the second I stepped on the grounds and I didn't even go to my other college options. Everyone there is so nice and the professors truly care about our education. I highly recommend this college.

Tehra

I love it here. !!! Small campus and easy to get around. Love the tunnel system where once you get indoors you don't have to go back outside when walking to next class. Professors know you by name and when they see you out in public they say hi. You aren't just number at Southwest Minnesota State University your professors know you by name.

I feel really happy with the education I am getting at SMSU. SMSU costs a reasonable amount (around $8,000 a semester) and you definitely get your money's worth at SMSU. The class sizes are small (about 20 students) so you really get to know your classes. Also, your professors care about getting to know you as well. They have always been very friendly when I come to them for help. Also, even though the college is small there are many different clubs or opportunities for students to get involved. SMSU is also well-known for their outstanding education program. I would definitely recommend SMSU to education majors. Overall, SMSU has a very safe and friendly campus where you get a great education.

SMSU is a great place to be! The professors are always here to help, and they know you as a person not a number. We have lots of services on campus to help you prepare for life after college and adjust to life on campus. There are many amazing clubs to join and things to do as well.

I would tell high school me to relax through the college transition. I was really nervous and was always worrying about turning in applications and such for college in on time. Other than that, I was ready for college. I was ready to move on from high school, to meet new people and to focus on continuing my education. I would tell myself how smart it was to wait on deciding my major and focusing on taking my general classes. I was so worried that I was going into college not knowing what I was going to major or minor in, and now I'm glad I didn't force myself to choose. I'm currently getting a lot of my required classes out of the way, and I now have an interest in majoring in Early Childhood Education. I'm thrilled to work hard and be able to teach young kids. I strongly believe that kids develop their drive to want to learn in kindergarten and early elementary school, and I want to inspire children to love learning and inspire them to develop goals of wanting to go to college and completing their goals.

Someone who wants to go to college and focus on their education. It's a small town, and the school is small with less students. It's really nice because the professors don't have tons of students, so they know you by name and are open to helping everyone. There are a lot of great people that go to school here. Everyone is friendly and helpful including the staff. It's a really great learning environment.

If someone really likes large crowds and being in a city environment, this isn't the school for them.

Jeanette

If I could go back, I would have some words of wisdom. First of all, I would remind myself of where I have been as a child. I would remind myself of the opportunities my parents never gave to me as a child. I would remind myself of the teachers that inspired my dreams and those who influenced me as a young girl. I would remind myself of the concept of escaping from a life of poverty. I would remind myself of what survival meant to me as a young girl, everyday was about surviving. That my social skills were taught to me by parents who had a tough time getting along. I would remind myself that everyday, is only an opportunity to move forward in life and to never look back to the times when I was a recipient of my fathers cruelty and violence. I would remind myself that in the future I can change somebody else's life like my teachers changed mine. I would remind myself of the words of famous Beetle John Lennon once said, "A dream you dream alone is just a dream. A dream you dream together is reality."

The kind of person that should not attend this school is, a persont that is not sure of what they want to do in life. An idividual that is not ready to receive an education and be the change of the future. I feel that every one deserves to have a world class education however, not everyone wants to attend school and have a college education.

What I brag about most when I tell my friends about school is, how much of a desire I have to complete my degree. I brag mostly about the type of student I know I am, ready to be the best student I can be. I also talk about the change that education has brought to my life. Education has changed my path forever, I now know that with my education I will be part of the change for a better tomorrow.

Students around here are friendly, fun, outgoing, dependant, reliable, and responsible.

If I could go back in time while I was a high school senior and tell myself what I needed to do to prepare for college would be go to college being yourself and not pretending to be someone else or be worried about fitting in. No matter what type of person you are or what type of personality you have you will fit in with everyone. Nobody in college cares who you are everyone just wants to be friends. College is a scary thing and before we get there we are told hundreds of times how much it costs, how much we will have to study, and how we have to be responsible for ourselves. Even though all three of those things are true, I think it's the experience that really matters and the fact that we are getting a quality education and helping our future to become a bright and glowing one.

The worst thing about my school is the extracurricular activities that are offered because there are not very many to pick from and not a lot of opportunities to become involved.

My classmates are very diverse, accepting, hard working, analytical, and easy to work in a team with.

Dear HS Senior Rachel, Wow you're a senior, and you know what's next, college. You've been thinking a lot about what you want to do, but just relax. Pick a school where you can excel just being you, which means a school where you can stand out by making a positive impact on campus. But you won't stand out enough to draw a lot of attention to yourself :) Marshall really is the place you belong, which is extrememly cliche! You just need to let loose a little and have fun, meet new people, and step out of your comfort zone. That's how you will make new friends who will be with you for life! Stay in band because amazing things will happen if you do, and not just playing wise. Music just has a way of creating strong bonds between people. Talk in class, don't be afraid, you are smart and make excellent points! Go to school for graphic design, you will love every class you take for that major. Don't stay locked up in your dorm. Get your head into your school work to not fall behind! Love, College Rachel

I wish I had known a lot of little things, like where printing was available, and where to go for certain things, like sending mail. I also wish I had known what I wanted to major in because now I have to go to school an extra semester because I will not finish my major in 4 years. I wish I had realized how far SMSU is from my home, it was difficult in the beginning when I had no friends. I wish I had known about job availabitlity in Marshall as well.

Brianna

The Education program at SMSU is what separates it from most others. SMSU’s Education major includes concepts of pedagogy in its frame work. It has been ranked the top college in this field of study in the nation for the past nine years by U.S. News and World Report because of their excellent teaching community. As someone who will be joining the Teaching population, this was an important factor in choosing to apply here.

Don’t give so much of your heart to those first few friends. I understand college is a shiny, new experience, but know that part of growing up is being able to recognize people with the least interest in relationships- friendships or otherwise- and learn not to invest in individuals like these. Real, life-long, always-in-your-corner friends will be there exactly when you need them. And for the record, they’re worth the wait. Another fun tidbit of advice: you don’t get a rebate for lost time. Sleep is about to become a rare luxury, kind of like how sugar is rationed during wars. Work on assignments while they are still fresh in your mind. This will continually save you from needless all-nighters and allow for more time in other facets of life, such as R.E.M. cycles. P.S. you’ll need at least six of those a night to function in your early morning classes. Oh, yes; say, “Hello,” to early morning classes.

The continued saving grace of SMSU is the professors. Well-studied in their specialized fields, it is quite obvious that these educators are brimming over with the information they possess. Always ready to meet during office hours, they seem to genuinely look forward to challenging questions and new insights from their students.

Southwest Minnesota State University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.