Marshall, MN
Southwest Minnesota State University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Southwest Minnesota State University

Kelsey

I could advise my senior-self on multiple things. I could tell her to start looking at colleges before school started. I could tell her to apply to as many scholarships as possible, to volunteer at many community service events achievable, and to join numerous respectable school organizations (like student council, FCCLA, FBLA, etc.). I could tell her what she should learn how to do by herself (laundry, budgeting) and what will be expected of her (applying for scholarships, keeping track of Financial Aid, registering). There are probably a lot of things that I could tell her. However, I do not wish to. One of the many things I have learned in my first year of college is that life helps us grow from our own mistakes. How could any person ever evolve and become independent as well as a competent individual if he or she cannot learn from his or her own faults? Not being allowed to make mistakes keeps us, as humanity, at a standstill. It keeps us ignorant and naïve to the world around us. We must give ourselves the opportunity to make mistakes in order to gain experience and succeed in life.

I have had some problems with Registration Office in regards to my majors. Even though I have told them during my June Registration that I wish to double-major in Pre-Chiropractic and Spanish, they only had me listed as a Spanish major. I had problems earlier before that when they only had me as a Pre-Chiropractic and not a Spanish major as well; they kind of flip-flopped. I only just recently acquired BOTH majors. I also believe that they could provide more job opportunities on campus.

The school possesses the perfect curriculum I need for both of my majors (Exercise Science for Pre-Chiropractic and Spanish). Secondly, the professor to student ratio per class allows the professor and the student to create a close, learning relationship. In addition, there are always events taking place throughout the year that focuses on trying to bring forth students from a wide range of diverse cultures together. The school also maintains the tunnel system, which is great when winter arrives and allows you to go from one place to another quickly.

Chris

This is the best advice that I can give. It goes by very quickly after it is over the hard times seem so much less hard and you will actually look back on them with fond memories and the good times looking back are great times the best times. What you don't realize is that you will have the most fun of your life, if you stay focused and determined. Anything that is good and worth having in this life is hard to get. If something is just handed over to you, you won't care about it, but if you work hard for something and you had to put all the effort and strength that you have into it and then you get it, now that is something worth having. So when you are really struggling or having a hard time just remember to push through it you know you can do it and when its all over you will wish you tried even harder. There is no limit to what you can do, you just have to decide to go for it.

I grew up in marshall which is where SMSU is located at I understood almost everything about the school and town. I guess if I had to say something that I wish I had known it would be: "When its all over the hard times don't seem as hard looking back and the good times seem even better." I think I would have put more effort into school and football in the beginning.

The sporting events the get pretty wild and they are a lot of fun. Having played football the fact that we have a brand new stadum is a big deal. We also have a newer basketball field house. I would also say how the small class sizes are and how easy it was to do well because of how approachable the teachers are.

Colleen

OK, Colleen, listen up. I know you're excited about finishing high school, but I'm here to talk to you about college. Some really awesome things are gonna come out of college: you'll discovere a lot of things about yourself, good and bad. One thing you'll definitely find out is that things are gonna be rough for a while, and that's OK. You'll get the hang of it. You'll get a lot of supoort and you'll have a great time.

The emphasis on cultural diversity at my school is wonderful. The staff in the academic and diversity resources office are great and very helpful.

The company that my school gets its food service from is atrocious. They are lousy, money-grubbing slackers who don't pay a bit of attention to people with special dietary needs (e.g, food allergies, vegetarians, gluten intolerance) and who overcharge for almost everything.

Peggy

Looking back, If I had the chance to speak with the High School Senior version of myself, I'd prepare myself for my first year of college. "While it's scary to move away from your home town, leaving your Mom behind and moving in with 4 girls you don't know, it's going to make you a stronger person. You're going to be shy at first and worry about little things like laundry and bounce a few checks here and there, but you're playing college soccer! All those years of sweat and tears have paid off. You're the first to attend college in your family; they couldn't be more proud of you. So don't be sad those last few weeks at home; You'll be home more often than you think. Oh, by the way, you better start running. That timed three mile run coach said you'll be running often is harder than you think and you won't make the time if you don't get on it, soon! Other than that, you're going to be just fine. Enjoy your last year of high school and time with Mom. -Peggy

For the size of the school, we have great facilities and alot of activities for students to get involved in. Also, people are very friendly and are willing to help out. The professors also really know the students.

The best advice I would give a high school senior would be to focus on your studies and get involved on campus. The ultimate goal as a student is to get the best overall educational experience possible. In order to do this, it takes more than just going to class and completing assignments. By being dedicated to learning, you can gain more information than just what the professor says. Students should go the extra mile and get the best out of their college experience. Campus involvment is also very important. By joining groups and organizations, you learn many professional and life skills that the classroom can not teach you. From these groups, you can develop yourself as an individual, leader, and influence others on campus and in the community. It gives you the chance to gain experience in communication, organization, and team work. Also, by getting involved it helps you meet people and it is then easier to make the transition into a new environment. Many of the people that you meet will be your mentors and life long friends. They will help you with your studies and can help you become the person that you want to be.

A person who should attend this school should be dedicated to learning. Also, it should be someone who likes a smaller campus and likes to be involved on campus. This school encourages campus involvment and many of the people you see each day are familiar. It is a close community.

Tia

I originally did not want to attend classes and wanted to take a year off after graduating high school. As soon as I made the decision to enroll in classes at a local community college, I was suprisingly excited. In high school, I did not work to my full potential. Even though my SAT scores showed a different level of intelligence, my grades were mediocre. I went to Westchester Community College with a desire to learn and grow. Studying and being prepared for all my classes gave me the confidence that I needed to succeed. Instead of sitting in class and dazing off, not knowing what was going on, I was involved in the learning and often got the answers right to every question. I realized that I love learning, especially about topics that I am interested in. I feel great about myself that I have matured and become more responsible. When I walk into class, I think to myself that every good grade I get takes me one step closer to realizing my dream of becoming a great teacher and hopefully my success will aid my financial situation as well.

carl

I have spent a total of six semesters at Palm Beach Atlantic University from the fall of 1998 to the end of 2000. Interaction with others is definately a benefit of college. The very first week aka orientation, students were divided into small groups and we participated in excersises designed both to get to know other students and function as a small team in competition. That week was very valuable in introducing scenarios that would occur frequently in college. As an English major, I spent quite a bit of class discussing various essays and works of fiction. Often during a discussion, either myself or a classmate would be provoked by a reading to relate to past experience and/or individual beliefs that charecterize ourselves. This was quite a benefit to understanding various cultures and backgrounds as well as learning the many different ingredients that produce a society that functions interdepently and still respects the many differences we have as individuals. After leaving college to become a small business owner, I have been able to identify and appreciate how our differences and even our strengths and weaknesses will present infinite situations for personal growth through group interaction.

Joshua

I have lived in Marshall my whole life and considered this campus my fallback school. Over time however I have learned that coming here was one of the best choices I have made in my life. Since I have come here I have met many people who not only have similar interests as I do, but also have a plan for their future. I also came into this school with a future in mind in the field of Physical Therapy and all of the faculty members and friends I have met here have attempted to help me in any way possible to achieve a higher education. I have learned thoughout my education so far that it takes more than a little effort to get where you want, but it is also that effort that makes you stand out as a valuable and intellectual person. Here at Southwest Minnesota State University I also achieved valuable skills in communicating with others that have helped me with personal relationships as well as professional relationships. Choosing this campus over others was a wise decision for myself because of these valuable experiences and opportunities.

The best thing about my school is the faculty members. They are very helpful in answering many different kinds of questions and are almost always available outside of the classroom to discuss or talk about anything from class assignments to regular everyday events. Here at Southwest Minnesota State University I believe that out peers are our best quality because they are very friendly and easy to talk to.

I think that the kind of person who should attend Southwest Minnesota State University is someone who is happy about attending school and isn't afraid to take chances and get to know people. They should want to better themselves and their situation in life by learning as much as they can in their area of study and be more than willing and open about making friends with everyone including staff to make the campus a better place for everyone involved.

Mary

SMSU as it is commonly known as, is a small school that has a very friendly, relaxed atmosphere and a lot of cultural diversity amongst it students.

Out of my college experience, I have gained an added global perspective to my studies. This has been made possible, with the help of my lecturers. They have passed on valuable knowledge to me, that they accumulated over the years through extensive studies and travels. Their assignments have forced me to do extensive research, inculcating a special attribute in me. Constant encouragement from them has taught me to “think outside the box”. Also, through the university I have been able to interact with students from different countries and cultural back grounds. This has been an education in itself. College has been valuable to attend because I have learned things that I would not have otherwise learned had I stayed in my country. For example, before I attended the university I was unable to carry out research on the web. Not because I didn’t know how to use a computer, but because I didn’t know how to go about it. Also, I had not been exposed to the many academic databases that existed. Now that I have been exposed to it, I have learnt to do my research efficiently. In fact, my acquired skill helped me locate this site.

What i consider to be the best thing about my school, is the fact that we have small classes. This means better professor-student relationship's can be fostered. As the professor will be able to share out his time among the students more effectively.

Chloe

A small school in the middle of nowhere, with nothing to do in town, but students stay because there are a lot of really great people to hang out wiht all the time... and well, you learn stuff too.

I've really enjoyed my college experience due to all the amazing people I have been able to meet. Teachers, international students, and people who live in the same state as me. I feel this social interaction is what really makes college worthwhile. You share a class with somebody, have to work on a group project outside of class and even when the project is done you have someone to hang out with as a real friend, not just a classmate. This isn't to say that the classes aren't fun, but they're, well, classes. And nobody really likes class right? Well, for the most part I enjoy my classes, the ones I choose, not the ones I have to take as core classes. They all have their ups and downs. I'm more of a hands on learner so sitting in a lecture hall for a few hours really isn't for me. I’m learning which professors are better than others and figuring out what classes are best for me to take so I can make the most out of my college experience.

There are a lot of really great people. I feel it's a very social school with a lot of couches and activities in the student center for students to hang out and talk with each other, work on homework, and get to know one another. There are also a lot of really great clubs as well.

Southwest Minnesota State University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.