Marshall, MN
Southwest Minnesota State University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Southwest Minnesota State University

Peggy

Looking back, If I had the chance to speak with the High School Senior version of myself, I'd prepare myself for my first year of college. "While it's scary to move away from your home town, leaving your Mom behind and moving in with 4 girls you don't know, it's going to make you a stronger person. You're going to be shy at first and worry about little things like laundry and bounce a few checks here and there, but you're playing college soccer! All those years of sweat and tears have paid off. You're the first to attend college in your family; they couldn't be more proud of you. So don't be sad those last few weeks at home; You'll be home more often than you think. Oh, by the way, you better start running. That timed three mile run coach said you'll be running often is harder than you think and you won't make the time if you don't get on it, soon! Other than that, you're going to be just fine. Enjoy your last year of high school and time with Mom. -Peggy

For the size of the school, we have great facilities and alot of activities for students to get involved in. Also, people are very friendly and are willing to help out. The professors also really know the students.

The best advice I would give a high school senior would be to focus on your studies and get involved on campus. The ultimate goal as a student is to get the best overall educational experience possible. In order to do this, it takes more than just going to class and completing assignments. By being dedicated to learning, you can gain more information than just what the professor says. Students should go the extra mile and get the best out of their college experience. Campus involvment is also very important. By joining groups and organizations, you learn many professional and life skills that the classroom can not teach you. From these groups, you can develop yourself as an individual, leader, and influence others on campus and in the community. It gives you the chance to gain experience in communication, organization, and team work. Also, by getting involved it helps you meet people and it is then easier to make the transition into a new environment. Many of the people that you meet will be your mentors and life long friends. They will help you with your studies and can help you become the person that you want to be.

A person who should attend this school should be dedicated to learning. Also, it should be someone who likes a smaller campus and likes to be involved on campus. This school encourages campus involvment and many of the people you see each day are familiar. It is a close community.

Tia

I originally did not want to attend classes and wanted to take a year off after graduating high school. As soon as I made the decision to enroll in classes at a local community college, I was suprisingly excited. In high school, I did not work to my full potential. Even though my SAT scores showed a different level of intelligence, my grades were mediocre. I went to Westchester Community College with a desire to learn and grow. Studying and being prepared for all my classes gave me the confidence that I needed to succeed. Instead of sitting in class and dazing off, not knowing what was going on, I was involved in the learning and often got the answers right to every question. I realized that I love learning, especially about topics that I am interested in. I feel great about myself that I have matured and become more responsible. When I walk into class, I think to myself that every good grade I get takes me one step closer to realizing my dream of becoming a great teacher and hopefully my success will aid my financial situation as well.

carl

I have spent a total of six semesters at Palm Beach Atlantic University from the fall of 1998 to the end of 2000. Interaction with others is definately a benefit of college. The very first week aka orientation, students were divided into small groups and we participated in excersises designed both to get to know other students and function as a small team in competition. That week was very valuable in introducing scenarios that would occur frequently in college. As an English major, I spent quite a bit of class discussing various essays and works of fiction. Often during a discussion, either myself or a classmate would be provoked by a reading to relate to past experience and/or individual beliefs that charecterize ourselves. This was quite a benefit to understanding various cultures and backgrounds as well as learning the many different ingredients that produce a society that functions interdepently and still respects the many differences we have as individuals. After leaving college to become a small business owner, I have been able to identify and appreciate how our differences and even our strengths and weaknesses will present infinite situations for personal growth through group interaction.

Joshua

I have lived in Marshall my whole life and considered this campus my fallback school. Over time however I have learned that coming here was one of the best choices I have made in my life. Since I have come here I have met many people who not only have similar interests as I do, but also have a plan for their future. I also came into this school with a future in mind in the field of Physical Therapy and all of the faculty members and friends I have met here have attempted to help me in any way possible to achieve a higher education. I have learned thoughout my education so far that it takes more than a little effort to get where you want, but it is also that effort that makes you stand out as a valuable and intellectual person. Here at Southwest Minnesota State University I also achieved valuable skills in communicating with others that have helped me with personal relationships as well as professional relationships. Choosing this campus over others was a wise decision for myself because of these valuable experiences and opportunities.

The best thing about my school is the faculty members. They are very helpful in answering many different kinds of questions and are almost always available outside of the classroom to discuss or talk about anything from class assignments to regular everyday events. Here at Southwest Minnesota State University I believe that out peers are our best quality because they are very friendly and easy to talk to.

I think that the kind of person who should attend Southwest Minnesota State University is someone who is happy about attending school and isn't afraid to take chances and get to know people. They should want to better themselves and their situation in life by learning as much as they can in their area of study and be more than willing and open about making friends with everyone including staff to make the campus a better place for everyone involved.

Mary

SMSU as it is commonly known as, is a small school that has a very friendly, relaxed atmosphere and a lot of cultural diversity amongst it students.

Out of my college experience, I have gained an added global perspective to my studies. This has been made possible, with the help of my lecturers. They have passed on valuable knowledge to me, that they accumulated over the years through extensive studies and travels. Their assignments have forced me to do extensive research, inculcating a special attribute in me. Constant encouragement from them has taught me to “think outside the box”. Also, through the university I have been able to interact with students from different countries and cultural back grounds. This has been an education in itself. College has been valuable to attend because I have learned things that I would not have otherwise learned had I stayed in my country. For example, before I attended the university I was unable to carry out research on the web. Not because I didn’t know how to use a computer, but because I didn’t know how to go about it. Also, I had not been exposed to the many academic databases that existed. Now that I have been exposed to it, I have learnt to do my research efficiently. In fact, my acquired skill helped me locate this site.

What i consider to be the best thing about my school, is the fact that we have small classes. This means better professor-student relationship's can be fostered. As the professor will be able to share out his time among the students more effectively.

Chloe

A small school in the middle of nowhere, with nothing to do in town, but students stay because there are a lot of really great people to hang out wiht all the time... and well, you learn stuff too.

I've really enjoyed my college experience due to all the amazing people I have been able to meet. Teachers, international students, and people who live in the same state as me. I feel this social interaction is what really makes college worthwhile. You share a class with somebody, have to work on a group project outside of class and even when the project is done you have someone to hang out with as a real friend, not just a classmate. This isn't to say that the classes aren't fun, but they're, well, classes. And nobody really likes class right? Well, for the most part I enjoy my classes, the ones I choose, not the ones I have to take as core classes. They all have their ups and downs. I'm more of a hands on learner so sitting in a lecture hall for a few hours really isn't for me. I’m learning which professors are better than others and figuring out what classes are best for me to take so I can make the most out of my college experience.

There are a lot of really great people. I feel it's a very social school with a lot of couches and activities in the student center for students to hang out and talk with each other, work on homework, and get to know one another. There are also a lot of really great clubs as well.

Christopher

Living on my own while attending college has taught me a lot about responsiblity and managing my time. Living on my own, I have to be able to plan certain things into my schedule whether it be study time, doing laundry, shopping for toiletries, cleaning my room, or catching up on sleep. I have to take all of those side chores and schedule them around all of the required things such as classes, team and or club meetings. It has also taught me to rely more on myself rather than others for certain things like getting up in the morning or getting places on time. When I do encounter a problem that I am not sure how to handle, the faculty and coaching staff are approachable and willing to help if they can.

I wish I had more instuction in to how to study for certain kinds of classes. Studiying for classes that are simply recall of facts versus classes that deal in processes require different study skills.

I don't think the Academic Commons area is open late enough. There are certain nights where I have a lot of homework, and it would help if the commons were open till ten or eleven rather than closing at nine.

Don't overload yourself with work take your time you will graduate. Slow down and enjoy the experiences you'll have as a college student. Keep your eye on the goal and know that it's not overwelming it seems that way just break the work down and you'll be fine!

If I could go back in time and give myself advice in High School about what I know about college life and making the transition, I would probably tell myself that in college, expenses are tight and life is busy so practice your time management (more than you already do) and make sure to keep some time for yourself and family, becuase that gets pretty hard to do when you work so much with school and jobs. Work hard at your schoolwork becuase you are paying for it, REALLY PAYING FOR IT. Have fun, so that you don't regret missing out on anything.

How hard it is to get scholarships if you are just the average American (white, middle class).

Someone who is seriously looking into Medical school or Law school, I guess.

Southwest Minnesota State University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.