Marshall, MN
Southwest Minnesota State University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Southwest Minnesota State University

If I could go back in time and give myself advice in High School about what I know about college life and making the transition, I would probably tell myself that in college, expenses are tight and life is busy so practice your time management (more than you already do) and make sure to keep some time for yourself and family, becuase that gets pretty hard to do when you work so much with school and jobs. Work hard at your schoolwork becuase you are paying for it, REALLY PAYING FOR IT. Have fun, so that you don't regret missing out on anything.

How hard it is to get scholarships if you are just the average American (white, middle class).

Someone who is seriously looking into Medical school or Law school, I guess.

Jacob

Southwest Minnesota State University in Marshall, Minnesota is an excellent school which offers a lot of degrees, programs, sports and clubs.

If I could go back in time and give myself advice about the transition from high school to college. I would tell myself to look at colleges that were a little closer to home. It can be hard at times being at college when my home is three hours away. I can't just go home any weekend I want because it is a long drive. Being far away from home has been the hardest part of being at college. So, if I could go back in time that is what I would tell myself.

My classmates are very outgoing and willing to help others.

My classmates are very outgoing and willing to help others.

If I were to go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself to start working on my time management and to spend less time around friends. The socail life is not what college is all about. I would also tell myself that people are more mature in college and don't care what you wear, what you look like, or what your religion is.

One of the worst things about school is some of the class days get to be quite long. On top of long daya most students will have a lot of homework to complete. The second worst thing is that the dorms tend to get loud. The new freshman have not quite adapted to college and spend most of their time yelling and acting up.

Kalley

I would tell myself that I am making the right decision. The first few weeks are hard but once you get into a set schedule and start to make more friends, you really adapt better into your environment. It also helps that I spent a year abroad in Germany. This experience was also helpful because once I got to school, it wasn't hard for me to be away from home. Its going to be overwhelming, but let yourself be overwhelmed, its part of the whole experience. Make sure you get to know your dormmates and the other people who live on your floor/house. In the long run alot of them end up being there for you when you need them. Don't be afraid to take classes you know nothing about or don't think you will do well in. You may surprise yourself in how well you do and how many people you can meet because of this action.

I think the small home atmosphere is most apealing to those who want to get a good education at a decent cost. Because I attend a small school everyone makes friends quickly and there is always someone around in the dorm lounges. With a big school I dont think you would get as much personal interaction with your professors as well either. Here, the professors make an effort to get to know their students personally.

What I brag about most is the program I am involved in at Southwest Minnesota State. I am a Culinology major and it is one of the few four year programs available in the nation. I am involved in a fusion of Food Science and Culinary Arts, giving me essentially two majors in one. I take baking and culinary classes as well as chemistry and food science courses.

Michelle

The school is best known for its variety of educational oppertunites. From Early education, Business and administration, to Fine Arts and Humanities. The university offers various classes at allow for growth and knowledge in areas that the local communities are not always exposed to and that offers local students a chance to experiance global education without moving to each geographical location.

If I could go back to high school and tell myself then what I know now, I wouldn?t. I believe that all things happen for a reason. I am who I am today, because of the choices I?ve made and the events that have happened in the years since high school. When the best part of who one is, comes from the experiences in life, there is no reason to change history. Would it be easier to go back and tell myself to go to class and graduate in just four years; Get a job and be what I thought I wanted to be? Absolutely. But not living my life that way, is what has made me who I am today. What I really value most in success, is much different now that I?ve had these experiences. My success is not money or power but is the whole person. Life?s lessons give great value and insight to the knowledge one learns in the classroom. To me; returning to school will not define me but only serve to reward who I?ve become.

Open campus with lots of oppertunites to grow personally and educationally. Students and staff are friendly and available to assist each other in the learning process. The community support for the college is stellar, local and statewide availablitly to many forms of cultural and educational oppertunites outside the campus, plus there is a great effort placed on being talent to the community to enrich the area. I talk about the large variety of academic courses that are offered and the choices that fit each persons needs.

Make sure you know the town you're going to. If you're a city kid, don'nt go to a school that's in the middle of nowhere.

I don't like the town. It's too small and the only thing around really is a Walmart. I hate Walmart.

I like being a Mustang. The school is completeely connected by tunnels.

Blake

Go with your gut feeling. If it feels right, then it probably is right! I find it helpful to just relax and go with the flow. Having fun is important, but it is important to maintain a balance. Studies are very important to succeed. A person will feel the groove as time marches on.

Things a person can be active in, such as groups. Getting information out is great here. It lets you feel connected.

A person who knows how to study. A person who likes participating.

Caryn

Start early. Find out as much as you can about a school and take every oppurtunity you can to find out what it would be like to live and learn on this campus. To make the most of your experience, get involved. Learning and studying is only part of going to college. I have made so many friends that I will remember for the rest of my life and I wouldn't have met them if I had not gotten involved in an activity on campus. Don't be shy because everyone I have met on my campus have been so friendly and they want you to feel like you belong. One example would be to go to football and basketball games. They are so much fun so don't sit in your dorm or apartment watching tv. Get involved and show some school spirit. College for most of us only comes around once and then its over. Take advantage of it when you can and have as much as fun as possible because when its over I promise your going to miss some aspect of it. Good luck finding the best school for you.

Their is nothing I regret or wish I had known. I joined marching band my first year and made many new friends. I found my place at this college early on and am going to miss it when I graduate.

Their is a wide variety of students that attend this school. Their are students who are very focused on their future career, their are students who come to play sports and their are students who are very involved in drinking and having fun at college. I don't this their is a student that wouldn't fit in somewhere. I don't believe that this college is wrong for anyone. Any high school graduate looking to attend this college would find somewhere to belong.

Cassandra

This is the 3rd college that I have attended and I wish if I could go back and do it all over again I would just go to this one. I like my professors in my major and minor fields. The professors make you want to learn and acheive more for yourself.

I would tell those students and partents that if the high school that you are at allows to you take some classes while in high school do it. I wish I would have done that. I think I would have learned faster what I wanted to do with my education. I love where I am at now and wish I would have known that back then. The right school is different for everyone. You need to look at what you want out of your education and what are your priorities in your own education. It's never too late to go to school.

Andrea

People like to drink alot at our school, theres not a whole lot to do here, so students have to make their own fun... sports are a big part of the school and people kind of come together at these events which are the major things that go on.

my classmates are really fun and nice.

choose the one that feels right. Staying close to home isn't a bad thing.

Southwest Minnesota State University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.