Memphis, TN
Southwest Tennessee Community College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Southwest Tennessee Community College

Deja

It is an excellent start to get your foot into what college is like. Filled with great programs and an amazing staff and provides many opportunities for their students to further their education. Southwest eduacators are hardworking and hands on to make sure every student reaches their full potential to make it through and become the best they can be.

Briona

It is an excellent school and they make me feel very comfortable in my transition from high school to college. The teachers are very easy to talk to and some of them a very lenient to be college professors. My overall experience for my first year there is very warm and accepting.

Giovanni
Tell us about your professors.

Tell us about your professors.

My instructors at Southwest love their job & have a passion for their craft & the students. I advise all Business majors to choose Oyama Hampton to teach all of their classes. He loves his job & the students.

The worst thing about my school is that people perceive attendance their would be a waste of time. That's a misconception. I advise ANYONE to take advantage of being able to get an associates degree before they graduate from a university.

Where is the best place to get work done on campus?

If you need peace & quiet I would say the best place to study would be the library, but my preference if the cafeteria.

Well there are many stereotypes, but the most common would be the average individual that isn't trying to graduate basically. I don't get into all of that. I just suggest that anyone considering attending Southwest Tennessee Community College should stay focused. It will be an better experience without too many pessimistic expectations.

The classes are relatively easy. All you need to do is build some type of relationship with your instructors & pay attention in class. Southwest gives out many grants and scholarships as well you just have to search for them and talk with you advisor.

Orlanda

Friendly, and very condusive learning eviroment.

Friendly, and very condusive learning eviroment.

Stay disiplined and focused. Keep priorities in order and work now to play later.

Brandon

I would tell myself to go after the degree you want, no matter what the degree is or what people think of it.

The best thing about Southwest is the aviablilty of class options. There are always classes aviable to take toward your degree.

A person who wants to go onto a 4 year school but can't afford to spend the other 2 years at a 4 year school.

crystal

Its best at helping you to get ready to transfer to a four year college.

Its best at helping you to get ready to transfer to a four year college.

I would tell myself not to go into college thinking its all about partying and getting away from home. Its about finding out who you want to be in life, and making that your goal to accomplish it. I would also say yes you have made it through 12 years of school, but it is only a training process to get you ready for college.

The variety in music courses. Because of the their shortage in music courses I have to transfer.

April

Considering I attend school during the day, I have found that most of my classmates are straight out of high school. Most are bright but some become very bored easily. Some do not know what they want to do and some are just taking classes so that they can transfer to the University of Memphis. I find that the older classmates are more focused and driven. I guess because they have grown up alot and most have worked in the real world for quiet sometime.

If I could go back and talk to myself, these are some of the things I would say. I would like to tell myself that life isn't always what it is cracked up to be when you don't have a degree so make sure that you FINISH college!! No matter how hard life gets, taking a year off from college usually ends in ten years and before you know it, life has passed you by. In the "working world" people with degrees come in, you train them and then while doing the same exact thing you do, will make twice as much money as you. They are more likely not to be laid off and they move up quicker in a company than a person without a degree. I would also like to make sure that I made use of the year by applying for scholarships. One scholarship will not take you through a four year college and until you are the age of twenty five, you have to claim your parents on your FASFA unless you are married.

Honestly, I can't find anything wrong with Southwest Community College. It's not too far from home and I have all the access I need there so I can't find anything wrong with it.

When I was a senior, I already had a child and a fiance. If I could go back in time, and talk to myself about college and the transition, I would tell myself that it is a neccessary step to living a comfortable life at an early age. I was in college, but I dropped out to take care of my child. I believed, at the time, that I was doing the right thing. I would have had to tell myself that even though it would have been a struggle, the struggle was neccessary. In order to give my children the life that they deserve, I have to gain employment that will support thier needs, as well as thier wants. For that type of salary, you have to have some sort of education or extensive training. Because of my actions then, I am 24 with no degree and a college freshman. Had I known what I know now about life and education, there is no way that I would have left school. Intodays society, the more education that you have, the closer you pull yourself to that American dream that everyone in the USA srtives to attain.

I wish I had known that I needed a laptop for my major before I came to this school. At other institutions, laptops are sometimes provided to the students for schoolwork while enrolled in classes. At this institution, you have to buy EVERYTHING that you will need. They don't do loans, so all you have to work with is the financial aid fefund from the Pell Grant, and that's not enough for anything but books and supplies (pens, paper, binders, etc.).

Some of the teachers don't have offices on the campus. It's harder to contact a professor for problems with homework, or to report an absence. The school relies too much on email. If your professor does not have an office, that is how you have to contact them. What if they don't get the email? If they don't get the message, there is no way to get it to them. In addition, it's too much of a hassle to depend on the people element, because they could be absent or have extenuating circumstances as well.

For me, it's pretty simple. Cheap and close. What better economic reasons could you have, especially in the times our country is having.

"Ashley, research, and don't stop after finding the school of your dreams. There is much to learn about the journey of college you are about to embark on. My favorite lesson I'm just learning is that there are many ways to go to school for free. I'm not just talking paying for tution either. You can get money for everything including gas to go to school. Also, you need to visit these schools and even try networking with some of the staff that can help you transition smoothly. Don't forget to fill out that paperwork early, and plan your classes for that first semester. It's always good to do what you can as soon as you can when your new to a system. Here's a perk to that boring job filing paperwork, you might be able to use it towards a co-op credit. What is that you say? Man, you're proving my point every minute. Research it. Now get started before you lose the chance to be a step ahead of the game. P.S. -Bring a camera. You're about to have the time of your life.

It goes for this school and any school, and that is that there are as many scolarships as people say there are. Thousands.

Southwest Tennessee Community College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.