Southwest Tennessee Community College Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Southwest Tennessee Community College

Ericka

I am currently about in the transfer process from Southwest to University of Memphis. While I attended Southwest, I can safely say that all the professors that I had during my 2 years of attending were amazing. I never had an issue with any professor. They were all also very knowledgeable and willing to help and explain anything that one did not understand. I would definitely suggest Southwest to any of my friends and family members. If any one is looking for a community college, I would say Southwest is in-expensive and has good teachers.

Briona

It is an excellent school and they make me feel very comfortable in my transition from high school to college. The teachers are very easy to talk to and some of them a very lenient to be college professors. My overall experience for my first year there is very warm and accepting.

Audrianna

I have had a few amazing experiences at Southwest but overall I would say the experience is okay, not much that made it stand out. The teachers and the administration overall were average. The main highlight of Southwest for me is that in my freshman year I studied abroad in Japan for a week.

Latasha

Very good school. Small class sizes. Professors are available and want to see the students succeed. The classes were relatively easy and simple. Academically I think Southwest is one of the best schools in the Mid South. You can get a quality education at a quality price.

Risha

I been to Southwest three times and I currently trying to get a Associate from Southwest. I had issues with Southwest before in the past and it was always a financial aid problem. However, I like the class size and professors are helpful.

Deja

It is an excellent start to get your foot into what college is like. Filled with great programs and an amazing staff and provides many opportunities for their students to further their education. Southwest eduacators are hardworking and hands on to make sure every student reaches their full potential to make it through and become the best they can be.

Delia

My overall opinion on Southwest Tennessee Community College isn't the best. The staff is unhelpful, there has been threats since I've been attending, and most of the students aren't serious about their education. The best thing I can say about this school is my English professor is the most helpful teacher I have ever had.

Emery

Like everything in this life, college experience is what you make it. My experience at Southwest Tennessee Community College has fallen into favor with me, as per expected. There are resources there, if you are open to them. There are opportunities there, if you put yourself out their to the ones you want to attract. More often than not, Faculty will get you in or point you to the direction you aspire to go in, if you approach them in honesty. And there is many on the opposing if you choose that as well because there are no safety bumper with free agency aside from the ones you put up and maintain yourself. It is disheartening when you are unable to tell the truth in documents and you are further encouraged to put the next best thing, like there is a substitute (e.g. when you do not have a current address and you are encouraged to submit your most recent as if it might not be a conflict of interest; when you do not have a mobile or regular use of the internet; when you have to wager between feeding yourself, another, fuel gasoline, or [insert whatever is not an immediate priority here]). Though there is no lack of faith that the aforementioned will not be corrected in future. Lastly, encourage and challenge your neighbor to promote their best self and to put forth their utmost best efforts in their constructive endeavors. Life will stretch you thin with its agenda for you and will cast you to the wayside after you have been nearly exhausted, keep in mind what is on your agenda and blur out whatever is not along that course. You will be fine. Stop stressing. Breath. And repeat. You will be fine. Go about as if this were your only attempt because the statistics regarding the average of return post secondary students is not high enough for you to delude yourself in believing that you are the exception. And this holds especially true for persons who either fall off or float out of the commercial economy as "work" is broad and loaded, and is not so easily acknowledged or recognized by those who do have their particular understanding. Thank you.

Joanna

There is no on-campus or off-campus dorms due to it being a community college so do not expect to have one. There are multiple campuses so it's pretty easy to get classes from each of them. The classes are fairly small, my specialty ones are usually 8-10 people. The food here is actually pretty good which is surprising for a cafeteria. In my opinion, I feel as if my specialty classes are more like workshops rather than classes. I remember some of the things but it's mainly just one project per topic covered. Some of the professors know what they're teaching while others do not, so that gets pretty annoying. We have both online and on-campus courses which is convenient for those who have daytime jobs and families.

Christiney

I enjoyed my time and experiences. I am secure in the education I received. Meeting new people the intellectual conversations and many different programs for additional educational support were the highlight of my time here. I am proud the be an alumni of this school.

Alicia

Southwest Tennessee Community College is an excellent college to attend. The classes are small and convenient. The instructors are available when you need help or have questions. The advisors are supportive and encouraging, they keep you on track. I'll recommend this college to anyone who is looking for a great 2-year college.

Samiyyah

My opinion of Southwest is that it a nice school with nice class room size and teacher to help when needed

Thomecia

I have looked into it and it is a very wise school to go too. I have viewed it many times and they have a good program to. I love how they care about the upcoming student there in their care. Southwest is like a regular college to me and they actually help you save money instead of spending thousands of dollars. Southwest is a very wise school to go too.

Cayla

STCC is a small comfortable campus. The teaching staff is amazing, I haven't met a teacher that I haven't liked. But the offices for advising and aid are not the nicest. Overall they seem very unorganized and it's hard to get in to speak with someone when you need something.

Debanhi

I am not much of a student that gets involved in social activities nor going around campus making friends. But when I pass by the game room or even in the hallways, I see groups of people interacting with each other. As far as the paralegal program, we have a great program with good professors and the ratio of students to teachers is excellent.

Nikita

For a person who is strictly here to learn and leave, then this is great for you. My only problem is how slow the services are and the attitudes there! Especially at financial aid offices and advising offices, the clerks are extremely rude! The campus is pretty big but the professors are mean and unorganized, well some. The other students are somewhat helpful by everyone is pretty straightforward about being there only for an education not to socialize which is good. I can say though, I was extremely ready to transfer as soon as I enrolled and began classes.

Omari

Southwest Tennessee Community College is a great college to start with. This two-year college prepares you to get used to the academics and the environment before you transfer to a four-year university. You get to be involved in job fairs, field trips around Memphis, or intramural activities that can get you scholarships for a full ride in academics or in sports.

Douglas

Southwest has been there for me through thick and thin, better or worse. The advisors really care about there clients and do everything they can to help the student with what they might need. I had lost my home, my income, and my government assistance causeing me to be homeless and my advisor and teachers stood by me and made sure I had transportation, necessary books or at least access to them either through personal copy or school library, and always had their door open and their phones on. I have never felt as respected and important as I have since day one when I first registered.

TYLER

I love Southwest Tennessee Community College! I can truly say that my first two semesters have been a bit rough, but more fun than anything. There are four different campuses. However, the one I attend is the Maxine Smith Campus. In my opinion, it is one of the best campuses.

Jazmine

I haven't attended the school yet but I have visited it before and it seems to be a real upstanding school.

Alexis

There are many stereotypes about community colleges; however, not all of them are true. At first, I did not want to go, and I was jealous of my friends at the big universities. I thought I would not get the college experience everyone talks about. As the year passed by, I found myself enjoying the school more than I imagined. Southwest Tennessee Community College offers many services available to students. For example, the Academic Support Center provides tutoring and it is completely free. There are tutors for almost every subject, so it is extremely convenient. The academic Support Center became my best friend during my first year. Another resource is the library which is where I spend majority of my time studying. The Bert Bornblum library has study rooms in which students can reserve if they prefer a quiet place to study. The professors at the junior college truly want to see their students succeed. They are more than happy to help students and stay after class if they needed. One of my professors was always at her office helping students. I always presented my speeches to her first, and then she would give me advice on what I needed to improve on. I love that the teachers are that available, since I attend a community college, there are no dorms or a food plan. However, they do have a little restaurant inside the college. The food is good and fairly inexpensive for college students. After a couple months, I ignored all of the stereotypes and started to enjoy my first year in college. Everything has flaws, but Southwest Tennessee Community College is not so bad after all.

Shontasia

Southwest is a great school to start at because it prepares you for what universities can be like, and there's you gain an associate's degree at the end of your courses. They have other colleges come and talk to the students so they can have an idea to where they would go if decided to transfer.

Nakitsha

I love the school . You get to choose which campus you want to attend . The classes are small but big enough for student teacher interaction . Basketball and baseball are huge here. Over all I just think this is a great place to attend . Traditional or nun traditional student it's a place for you .

Tarrolyn

A great place for Tennessee students to launch off especially considering it will be free starting next year. You can't beat free, especially when you consider the surprisingly qualified teachers who work both full-time and as adjunts. As a graduating student, I give it a solid three stars.

Tekosha

Southwest is a very accessible junior college that provides the skills needed to move forward in life. A Very nice affordable, comfortable learning Atmosphere is available to all students at Southwest. The student to teacher ratio is just right so that The teachers can take out time for each learner.

Christian

Overall, Southwest Tennessee Community College has been a far better experience than I expected going in. The graduation rate is extremely low, but from the professors who have instructed me, I am starting to realize it is not their fault for the disappointing graduation number. Each professor is there to help each student when they need assistance.

samantha

Southwest is a great school to start off at or even go back to get a class you been needing to further yourself in a job or your education. Southwest has reasonable tuition and you don't really have to stress about the cost as much. The community college usually cover a percentage of the cost of classes. It gives you the opportunity to decide your major at a reasonable cost when attending college instead of going to a expensive school. I actually started of at a university first and switched over to southwest because it was more reasonable.

Mauri

I love Southwest it’s near my house the teachers are always available and understanding. I can go to them after class if I have an issue. I can talk to them during class they are hands on. I felt very weird about starting school with a lot of people that are younger then me but even the students have helped me and been nice about it. It makes me feel even better coming to be around people that want to see you succeed and help you to get to that level in your life. Such a huge accomplishment for me because that’s something I’ve never experienced until now

Katie

I can not wait to attend in the fall! Very friendly staff members and surrounding peers! I will be playing soccer for Southwest and moving from Laurel, Ms. when I was giving a tour of the campus I fell in love with the atmosphere. The faculties are perfect size to what I’m accustomed to.

Lexi

The professors and staff are all very nice and helpful. On my first day, I was quite lost, but someone from the office helped me find the room I was looking for. The online classes are very convenient! I love being able to stay at home to do my work! The Macon Campus is also very appealing.

essence

I think Southwest is a nice school, there are great teachers here but advising isn't the best and the school itself is a bit dated. The restrooms are pretty old and dingy and the cafeteria is also very old looking and there are not many healthy food options. I'm not really into sports so I don't know about that part of the school, but from what i've seen around campus there isn't really too much going on when it comes to sports. The classroom sizes are nice and small so there's a lot of time to ask questions and get answers during class time, but there is no on campus hosuing.

Katlyn

I like southwest it a good school. It a place could walk around at night and feel safe. The staff at the school are very kind and helpful. The compass is very well kept and is very clean. There are a lot a place where students can work on their class work and talk to each other.

I like this school , there staff is understanding and always willing to help anyone who needs it. They are also have very flexible hours. You feel safe during the day and also at night . The oppositions they offer for people with special needs are very accommodating.