Uvalde, TX
Southwest Texas Junior College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Southwest Texas Junior College

Sophie

I have absolutely loved studying here at SWTJC! The staff is excellent, the campus is beautiful, and student life is so much fun! We learn and experience together. This genuinely is a great place to start out or get your associates degree. I highly recommend!

Liliana

Located in the small town of Eagle Pass, TX you can find SWJC. This local community college, while small, still has great benefits. It is cheap and you do get a taste of what college is really like. Most of the people that attend this college have lived in Eagle Pass (or surrounding small communities) live at home or with a family member. Although we do not have the perks of being universities (housing, sororities/fraternities, activists groups) this is still a great place as a starter college, temporary college, or as a college you should try if you are unsure about taking "the college path," as you won't spend about $24,000 at a major university just to find out you don't like school.

Christopher

It is a school where people who aren't sure what they want to do go to get their basics done.

Everyone gets along very well.

Plan ahead, don't procrastinate, don't spend time watching tv, and study.

Lydia

Start college in the teaching profession not anything else. The economy is going to dump and your health and back will be an issue in the future. You will lose all of your family and find the love of your life. You need to concentrate on school and not just go to make someone happy. Take only the classes you need not what you want. It is totally on your own at the university you choose. You are on your own and must learn to adapt to other people and the different types of teachers you will encounter. Make contacts and keep in touch with your friends and family. Get a day planner and write down everything you have due and what class it is for. This will really help you to stay on track and know what is going on. Don't be afraid to ask questions and take the bad with the good and don't let it get you down. Remember the first semester is the hardest. Everyone is learning to adjust and you are not alone in your new adventure. Don't waste time; use it wisely. Most of all love your new life.

Brianna

I attend the local community college available in my area, for its size I have to honestly say it is a very established, professional school. If I did have to choose something negative about it, it would simply be it does not offer a photography class. Other than that, it is wonderful! If not having a photography class is its worst attribute then I feel they are doing pretty well in the realm of colleges.

When you are a senior in high school you think you hold the world in your hands or that the world is constantly falling apart and sometimes a little of both. I wish I could go back and just hold my hand, redirect my attention from boys or what new pair of jeans are out on the line. I would let myself know that this is the time where you can ask all the questions in the world, this is the foundation of all your future. The "lame" math classes are what will help you glide through Math 1314 in college. High school is the time where someone is willing to help you no matter how long it takes. College is a whole other ball game no one is here to hold your hand and help you out, you have to help yourself and if your not exactly a take charge kind of person or natural leader you are going to need that strong foundation given to you in high school. I just hope I would listen to myself.

When I look around at my fellow students at Southwest Texas Junior College I see single mothers trying to give their children a better future, first generation americans making their families proud, young adults looking for their place in the world, and peple looking for a fresh start.

If I could go back in time to my high school senior year I would definitely tell myself to make sure I had an alternative plan. Never ever under any circumstances put all your eggs in one basket. Always have that backup plan in the event something happens and you find out later that field just isn't for you. Get training in something general that can cross over several fields and careers. Don't focus so tightly that your training is not usable in other fields of study. The economy is not your friend, just because your career choice now seems like a good idea, it doesn't mean it will be 10 years from now. I can not stress enough always have a back-up plan.

I wish I would have been more prepared for the "no excuses" aspect of college. Not just this college but college in general. College just isn't as lenient as high school and that is something I have had to learn the hard way in college.

I love how it is small. It makes it personal and makes it easier for the transition from high school to college. It also makes it easier for there to be a better relationship between the professor and the student.

If I could go back in time I would first tell myself to be more organized. I would also tell myself how much stricter and less lenient college is. I would tell myself to practice writing papers more since that is what college consists of. I would also let myself know not to get too overwhelmed with everything. College is a bunch more stressful than high school and I don't think that is something you really understand until you are in college. It would be nice to know though that you have tons of assignments for every different class and they are due when they are due, no excuses.

Adelso

The most frustrating thing about my school is the lack of activities held for the students. It a very small junior college in a very small town and despite the large relatively large students enrolled there are hardly and club, organizations, and groups that are available for students to join. Because of this in my opinion there is a lack in a sense of community. Students typically just go to class and then go home or to work. There needs to be more organizations, clubs, and groups so that students can interact with the diverse population at our campus.

The worst thing about my school is the lack of courses available. Because of this one finds themselves taking courses they are not really interested but does so because there are no other alternatives. I find this happens to me every semester and I get bored through the semester with the classes that should be interesting electives. Of course there are those boring courses which usually consist of the core curriculum in my opinion but the electives available should be fun and interesting and they are not so at my campus.

The first thing I would tell myself is not to worry about choosing a major right away since I wasn't sure about what I wanted to do with my life. Most people haven't decided what to major in at that point in their lives. Just enroll and take your core curriculum while you figure it out. The answer would come eventually as I began to take courses and discover the ones I found interesting which would lead to a choice of major. I would tell myself to take college very seriously as an education is extremely important especially in times of very high unemployment. You need to do and be the best you can at everything. After all you never know when you might need to know about Shakespeare, integration, atoms, or biological proteins. Do not be afraid to meet people and meet new challenges as this will make your college experience more satisfying. Get involved in as many diverse activities as you can. Get to know all your professors and counselors so that you can approach them for guidance. Utilize the resources available such as tutoring, libraries, and academic and financial assistance services. And have fun!

Southwest Texas Junior College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.