Tucson, AZ
Southwest University of Visual Arts-Tucson

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Southwest University of Visual Arts-Tucson

Leopoldo

The staff is very accommodating and students are very focused and involved with classes and each other's projects, often hearing conversations on works and projects as you pass by. The compact campus and smaller class sizes are also very convenient, especially nice that the bookstore is always very close by.

kaitlin

My overall opinion of my school if I am to be bluntly honest, is not great. I wont lie about what I've witnessed while at this school and when has happened to me because I refuse to sugar coat. Since joining SUVA i have been needlessly stressed out to the point it has made me physically I'll. My coursework isn't what has given me such anxiety, however, its my schools office faculty. Just this year my school decided to not notify me of an issue with a loan until it was too late to fix, and they are threatening to remove me because of their error, they had since June 25th to notify me that something was wrong with my loan, they didn't until the Friday before it was due after the office closed on October 27th. This is the firth time my schools office staff has done this to me alone since I enrolled freshman year, I am currently a junior. I wasn't even allowed to go to California when my Great Grandmother, who was my best friend, died this year. Had I left they would have dropped me from my classes and would have failed me. However there are some great things about SUVA. The teachers are amazing, and all my teachers have worked in the field i am majoring in. My current teacher for my Animation major, John Cummins is the kindest man in the world and worked on Mighty Morphing Power Rangers as an animator. His advice has helped me so much in my major and his overall way of addressing us students, makes us more willing to come to him for advice and to listen. He has even dedicated his time to work one on one with us and also helped us students outside of office hours. Overall while my opinion of my school is tarnished by the tardiness of its staff I do not hate my school. The education I am gaining here is fantastic for my field. And most my teachers work one on one with me to help me achieve my goals. If it wasn't for the variety of the teachers who worked in different fields of my major i wouldn't be as knowledgeable as i am now with animation. And it is their compassion and excellence that has motivated me to push through all the hardships in my life to earn my degree. I just hope I can earn the support in order to finish my education here at Southwest University of Visual Arts.

Daniel

My advice about college would be this: know what it can and cannot do. It can be a place to discover who you are, but it will not magically make you an exceptional artist. It is a safe place to be able to explore yourself and who you are, both inside and outside visual language. Learn who you truly are, this is the fundamental basis of contemporary art. Try as best as you can to stay on the good side of your professors, they will be writing your recommendation letters later for grad school, residencies, etc. Also, be aware that some professors might be frustrated artists. Avail yourselves of their knowledge and networking; but realize they are not always right. They have their own preconceptions. Be completely truthful and honest in your art. Also, study very hard! Learn all you can on your own outside of classes. Do not party! You are not there for that. If you do, their is a good chance you could get kicked out and have a mountain of debt with nothing to show for it. Use the time others are partying to make art. Also, always be pursuing outside residencies, work study, scholarships, etc.

It is a new graduate program, so there is room for experimentation and adaptation. Also, it is one-on-one study with a graduate advisor.. The best thing about this school is their recruitment procedure. You can win, not apply for, entry into the graduate program by winning at spot in their yearly BFA Annual Competition. This way, not only will you not have to take the GRE, but you will have priority placement, and might even get the coveted free tuition award if you get first place.

I will begin graduate studies here in fall 2014. From my perception, you need to be very focused to attend here. You must have a clear idea of what you want to study, or you will probably drift through. I also did work study for education from September to October at the Arrowont School of Arts and Crafts, which is a non-traditional school. My advice for undergrads would be to take full advantage of the art and craft school network before you decide to attend gradaute school. This will help you think more conceptually, and you'll be ready.

Danae

The Art Center Design College is known best for their great teachers and teaching their students everything they need to know to get the best degree and job that they are looking for. This school is perfect size and people love that theres not a lot of people in the class rooms.

I have learned a lot more than I thought I would at my school. I only knew so little about photography when I started and now I know so much, like how it started and when the first camera was made and what it looks like. I also know how developing flim is done and how fun it can be and making prints in the darkroom. I would have never learned any of that going to a different college. Also, they students and teachers here make it fun. Sure, there is going to be rough times, but who doesn't experience that? This school understands and works with you if you missed a few classes or was sick. I loved that I chose The Art Center Design College for my school because I have learned so much and have grown up so much in such little time. This is a great college to attend to and get the right classes for your degree. The student aid is also very helpful too. They always have time to speak with a student about general issues or about schedules or even making payments for tutition. This is the perfect school for me.

I do not consider anything bad about my school.

Alisa

If I could go back into time and give myself advice about college I would tell myself to take college seriously. This is where you learn to do what you want to do for the rest of your life. Soak in all the information you can and don't be afraid to ask questions. Talk to you teachers, let them know who you are because they can help you when you?re stuck. Don?t just get lost in the crowd or just listen to lectures and that?s it. There is no one telling you to go to class or to do your homework, you have to make that decision yourself. Take the initiative to get the things done that you know should be done. It?s a lot of freedom but don?t get caught up. College is fun and exciting and the things you experience will stay with you forever.

While the staff at The Art Center Design College is top notch, and they do their best to accommodate as many students as possible, I do wish that there were more educators to teach classes at different times of the day. Working full time makes it hard for students to take classes at certain times during the week. Evening or weekend classes could be beneficial to helping students earn their degree faster because it will fit into a tight schedule.

When I tell my friends about The Art Center Design College, I brag about how passisonate the teachers are. Each semester I am inspired by every teacher I have. Their ability to remind me why I love art and to make me fall in love with art all over again has been extraordinary. My talents are always being drawn out to their full capabilities and I can never get enough! The educators put The Art Center Design College in a league of it's own and I hope that future students will have the same expereinces I've had.

Angelique

The first thing I would do, if I went back in time to talk to myself, would be to give my other-self a swift smack in the head to get some braing juices flowing. When I graduated high school, I wasn't ready for college at all. I knew what I wanted to major in, but I was burnt out from high school. I played sports year-round and never had time for a job. I needed money and a car when I graduated because without either, I wouldn't get to college. I would tell my other-self to stop listening to my parents sooner when it came to sports, and get a job during high school to get the work experience, and the money to buy my car sooner, that way I'd be able to make it to college eariler. I don't regret where I am today, I regret how long its taken for me to start college. It's taken four years to get where I am, but I've made it, and I'd tell my other-self to never give up; fight for what I want even when it looks impossible.

I wish I would have known that there was a dip in the parking lot, for the drain, that would make my car eat it if I didn't go down it right.

I brag about the fact that The Art Center doesn't charge you for taking more than four classes. After the fourth class, you can take 10 more and they're considered free. Meaning you have a total of 14 classes and still paying the price for 4. We also have a 24 Hour computer lab that is locked with a key card, and only students with that card can get in. We also have amazing teachers who actually know us.

Jared

My classmates are most sincerely awesome.

My classmates are most sincerely awesome.

It is a nationally accredited private college. Our instructors are industry professionals. Our acheivements are nationally recognized.

Hey. I know, I know, don't freak out. Yes it is me, well it's actually you, from the future. Yes, you will go bald. No, threre is still no cure for cancer. No, you still haven't quit smoking. Stop asking me questions, I have something important to tell you about the transition from highschool to college. There is this redhead, whatever you do, don't let her move in. She will steal more than just your heart. You will be focussed on other things and what you really need to focus on is school. Have faith inyour ability. You are one hell of an illustrator and you deserve this chance. Oh, yeah "Google" buy stock at your first opportunity, trust me.

The Art Center Design College is an art school strongly focused on career preparation, more so than innovation.

I would tell myself, "Hannah, you have artistic talent. Do not settle for a school that is close to home. You are a hard-working, driven artist, and you can make the most out of any situation you're in. If you have to invest this much money in college, you may as well challenge yourself and apply somewhere out of state. The Art Center is a great school, but you would also do well in a more competitive environment. Also, double major in graphic design and illustration, and minor in fine art.

I would say the worst thing is the lack of talent required to go here. What I mean is, I feel only about 40% of the people here have the drive or talent to make it in the art or design feild.

Southwest University of Visual Arts-Tucson administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.