Southwestern Adventist University

« See more reviews of Southwestern Adventist University

If I had the chance to go back in time what I would tell my senior self is to expect the unexpected and prepare to study hard. As a senior in high school I really didn’t know exactly what to expect. Then once there everything I didn’t know to expect sort of toppled me once I got there. I had never been fully responsible for my expenses until I was on my own in college. That was a set back somewhat but I managed to learn quickly on how to manage myself and make due. Something else I wasn’t expecting was how much more studying I had to do. After senior year I really wasn’t too accustomed to having to make time to study and when I went to college I had to make time because of my slipping grades.

In general, finding the right college is like a lot of things in life. You can find what you're looking for, and you will. For example, if I went to any college looking for parties, I could find them. If I looked at any college for friends, I'd find them. One must decide what they want out of a college before they begin. Attitude is almost everything. When you start college, assume to spend all of your time studying, then when you have extra time it's especially exciting. Set boundaries for yourself and seek balance. Do your best in all you so you can be proud for all your hard work.

To start out talking to the "past" me, I would say, "have fun while you are in highschool." The memories from high school seem to be the greatest memories. With that said, I do not mean have all the fun. There is a threshold in which I say "fun". Preparation for college is really lethal. Choosing a correct degree, studying for standardized tests, and practicing living as an independent individual are some of the foundations of starting college correctly. In summary, I would say, "have fun, but be aware that after highschool there is a huge step coming up.

Going back in time, talking to myself, I would say: "Build a foundation for yourself. Nothing is more important than getting into college. You will never have this chance again. You're able to mess up now, but don't take advantage of it. Work on your spiritual life and focus on what matters. Don't let others get you down they aren't going to be around forever. Respect yourself and others, Learn to focus and use your time wisely, but most of all reconize that you can do anything you set your mind to because it's all about motivation.

Put friends, money, and practicality aside and chase your dream. Don't let your logic stand in the way of finding something you truly want to do for the rest of your life. The money you spend in college is an investment towards happiness, not contentment. A practical degree will not bring you happiness, but doing what you love will. The time and funds put toward your degree will forever haunt you if you do not choose to spend them on something you love. Do not be afaid to chase your dreams.

Find a college that will respect your beliefs and that would support you in whatever ways necessary. Student-teacher interaction is very hard to come by when you go to big colleges that accepts thousands and thousands of students. Also college experience should be a fun experience but there is limits to what fun is. Drinking, sex, and drugs should not be part of your college experience. Most of all just enjoy being in college and making friends that will help you become a better person.

The advice that I would give myself is to never give up even when it seems like you can't go this just keep going. I would also tell my younger self to continue studing hard for every test and to make friends that will motivate you to do better. Last but not least, i would tell my younger self to alwasy keep God first in my life. He is the one who has granted me the ability to think and to comprehend things. So always keep him first in your life and he will work miracles for you.

I would tell myself that I woud really have to work hard at it and to never give up because it would be fun. It will be a lot of hard work but you'll enjoy it. Make sure to get enough sleep every night and read your textbook. Don't let yourself get distracted and always apply yourself. If you don't understand something make sure you learn it. Don't ever procrastinate because it won't help you in any way. Make sure to always keep your priorities straight. Have fun!

As I have grown older and wiser with more experience, I would tell myself to work before play. I would have applied to different universities instead of just one. I would have also told myself to look more into financial aid, since becoming a nurse practitioner takes money and time. But other than that, I have done very well in high school my senior year, considering I took twenty-one credit hours of community college while still going to high school.

For those people looking for the right college I would tell them to see what majors they offer and see if you would have to transfer schools to complete your major. It is hard to start at one school and move on to another one after you have a life started at another one. Also look at the activities that they offer on campus. Do any of them suit you? Also do not be afraid to make friends. Friends are what makes the college experience so much more fun!