Sylva, NC
Southwestern Community College-Sylva

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Southwestern Community College-Sylva

Melinda

At Southwestern the professors are very involved and passionate about what they teach. Classes are typically small, some ranging from 6-8 students, others are large, ranging from 20-24 students. The LAC is a very helpful resource that SCC has to offer, and the tutoring service is great.

Sidney

Southwestern Community college is a great college that cares about their students. They want their students to learn, thrive and become a world citizen. I received my A.A. from Southwestern Community College and it was a great learning experience that I enjoyed tremendously and would recommend it highly.

Shelley

This school is a community college offering associate degree programs. It is in a rural location but not so much that you cannot access what you need. They offer many classes online which enable me to work full time while furthering my education. It is also a great place to get a good start if you want to go on to a bachelor program.

Erika

SCC is a great school with instructors that are very hands-on with their students. I have learned more at this college than I did at my year at a 4 year university. I love all the activties they put on for the students that includes food, games, and live music.

Erika, it is going to be so difficult and you are not going to know what you want to do with your life. Don't limit yourself to a 5 year plan because, it is just going to stress you and make you feel like a failure. Go to class. I know that waking up so early is miserable, but having to take those classes again is going to be even worse. Don't be ashamed that you don't understand math. Get a tutor because, they are free and they want you to succeed. Stop being afraid that they are going to judge you for you lack of understanding. Be more frugal because working part time in retail is not going to make you rich. Most importantly, put yourself out there! Go to school activities and branch out and make new friends. It is going to be difficult, but incredibly fun. You have got this!

They are slightly unorganized and councilors did not have updated information on my acedemic status resulting in my loss of a seat in a very difficult program to get into.

Kaitlynn

The worst thing about my school is the lack of food that we are offered. There are a few vending machines and we have one food truck. The problem is the food truck is not located in a place that is easy to get to from every building. There are times when I have classes and it takes too long to get to the food truck. I then have to eat whatever snacks I have packed or get something out of a vending machine.

I wish that I had known that most of the school events are scheduled during class periods. This makes it difficult to attend social events and get to know other students. I wish that school events were scheduled during time when classes were not in session or classes were shortened to make it more accommodating.

I would tell my high school senior self that it is okay to not have everything be perfect. You may not always get an A on everything you do because different professors have different opinions. The most important things are to do your best and have things turned in on time. If you do your best than you should be proud and satisfied with what you have done. I learned very quickly at college that an A is an A. It does not matter in the long run whether it was a high A or a low A. This does not mean that you should not try your hardest, though. Not every grade you get is going to be perfect, and that is okay.

Chad

how the instructors were helpful , friendly and fair.

how the instructors were helpful , friendly and fair.

i would tell myself to be careful about rushing into relationships in college because it would cause pain and suffering later.

It is close to home, and I miss going and working on cars .

Meghan

Well, Southwestern Community College is ranked 4th in the nation for Community Colleges. Our school is mostly known for it's small classes, but with this comes great personal relationships between students and teachers. Our teachers actually care about us and care about our sucess. We also are a blend of all different ages, and it seems to work quite well. We have people from 50 to 15.

I am trying to sit here and think of an answer but this is a very loaded question. I have only been out of high school for 4 years but I have grown so much. Why do we need to change the past when we have made it this far? In all honesty, I don't believe i would give any advice to myself if i could go back. I think that all of the obstacles i went through in high school were nessary for me to grow into the person i have become. I believe that they seperate high school and college becasue they are very different and you need both expericences. High school still allows you to be a child, and it isn't until college that you have to start " growing up". My grades weren't the best in high school and right now, in college, i have a 3.98 GPA. So, my transition from high school to college went smoothly. All though this might not be the case for every student it was for me, so i wouldn't jeopardize the person i have become just to make it an easier road back then.

I believe that in any school there are always people that shouldn't attend. These people would include people that aren't prepared to work for something. They are people that are only there to "do something", for lack of a better word. I am not sure about other programs but my Criminal Justice program is hard. This programs requires a lot of work and is nothing something that you can just breeze through.

The only thing i do not like about my school is that sometimes the advisores go to fast in class. Although you can always call or get help from them after class/

If i could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior. I would highly recommend to attend a community college to start out with. Because a community college slowly progresses you into the college life. The classrooms are smaller, you get one on one help from advisors and instructors. As a student you have very reliable sources such as the Learning Assistance Center at SCC, also the library. The Campus's of a community college are smaller and more easy to learn the buildings. A community college is the best way for a student who is undecided in a major learn what the maybe want to do.

My school is best known for people who are undecided of a major. At SCC you can take general education classes that at least help you get started on the college life. While taking these classes you get to interact with other people and learn about majors from the, or the helpful advisors. It is very small and you can indidual help from your instructors, who are very helpful. I like SCC a lot and find it very helpful, and a place where i can be myself.

Southwestern Community College-Sylva administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.