Belleville, IL
Southwestern Illinois College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Southwestern Illinois College

If I could go back to talk to my high-school self, I would reassure her that starting out her college career at a community college wasn't the end of the world. At the time, I felt like SWIC was the worst option for me. It made me feel like I wasn't as good as the students going straight to four-year schools. However, SWIC was the best choice for me. Its reputation did not proceed itself. At the Red Bud branch - the one I attended - the professors were insightful and always willing to stay late and help, or offer office hours. Some provided cell numbers for around-the-clock help, some checked their emails every few hours. I was employed by the Success Center as a student tutor, which has been the most rewarding job I've ever had, and I've been able to keep a steady GPA while taking classes that are challenging enough to hold my interest. I graduated this Spring, and am on my way to Webster U as a full-time student in the fall. My high-school self wanted to go straight to Webster, and after two years she will be.

The most frustrating thing about the Belleville campus would be the set-up of the tutoring center and the set-up of the admissions office. They keep you on a time limit that they often remind you of, which makes you feel like you're either in their way or not that important. The other campus branches aren't like that.

Classmates are interesting and fun, so long as you put yourself out there and get involved.

The school is a preparation for going to aq 4 year college of to get trainging for a job.

Some of the classments are friednly and carting people that will help with subjects they know.

When you go to a 2 year college and getting financial aid te General Education Classes with what you want to do because Most General Classes will transfers to other collrgrds or universities but trade classes may not transfer.

Elise

The worst thing for me would be, that some classes are only offered one time a year. So some of the upper math or physics classes may only be offered once a year.

If someone is looking to go to school and party. This school is ment for someone who is furthering their education needs. This is a commuter school so there are no parties on campus.

The advice I would give myself would be take more time and study. Once your GPA gets low it is harder to bring it up than to let it drop. I would also tell myself to care about the classes that I feel are not important to still care about them, because I could still learn something from the classes and use it later on in life. Also, don't be afraid to talk to the students around you because they may be able to help you in many aspects of your life. They can help you in the class or give you advice on where they got some helpful information.

Colton

The teachers are easily the best thing about my school. I have heard many horror stories of students from different colleges being taught by teaching assistants. Others have tales of indifferent professors focused more on their own research than teaching. At SWIC the teachers care and genuinely want you to learn. A lot of them are highschool teachers that also teach here. It's amazing to know that you don't have to worry about getting a bad teacher when you sign up for a class.

The fact that SWIC is a two year community college is probably its biggest strike against it. Two year community colleges get bum raps for not providing good educations. I am hear to say, it's not true of SWIC.

I would tell myself that happiness is a choice. I'd also say that sometimes silver linings are hard to see. I would tell myself that college is a one part fun two parts hard work. "Use your time wisely and do you homework younger me" I'd say. I would tell me to listen to my parents and older sister more. Also, you may want start saving money for college now. I'd make sure that I wasn't so afraid to make mistakes. But the most important message I would have for myself is please save your 17 page English on something other than your blue flash drive! You are going to lose it!

Angela

Southwestern Illinois College provides inexpensive credit hours, transferrable courses, and small class sizes that allow students to achieve general education requirements for 4-year universities.

It's best known for having reasonably priced credit hours and conveniently located campuses.

As a high school senior, I would better explore career options that are common in my area. An extensive scholarship search would likely pay off and better prepare me for the unexpected. Finding others with common interests to talk to for advice in how they have gone about following their dreams would be helpful in shaping my own dreams. Also I would tell myself that anything is possible and don't put limitations on yourself because you can do anything you set your mind to. Watch your spending habits and make informed decisions. Life is unpredictable, so have an open mind. Don't be afraid to share with others your ideas because that shows them who you are.

Greg

SWIC is like a family, they may frustrate you sometimes, even annoy you, but you can always count on them to help you out, and provide what you with exactly what you need.

I would tell myself to work hard in my classes, and what classes to take while I'm at SWIC. I'd convince my self not to procrastinate with starting college for the first time. I would convince myself to register earlier for classes, and to save my more of my money for college and books. I would give myself advice on the cost of college, and the books that I would need for my classes. I would tell myself to look into scholarships so I could maybe save some money. I would also tell myself to look into colleges earlier, even though I would just be starting at SWIC. I would get myself to take extra art classes during the summer so i would have more art experience under my belt.

The people, the teachers provide a great learning enviorment, I have met, and made plenty of friends. I actually wanted to learn from the teachers I have had. My favorite courses have always been art courses, and I have learned so much. I learned how to critique art work and learned how to better my work from critiques from my fellow students and teachers. The students in my classes have opened my eyes to so many different processes of doing projects for art. The experiences I've had at SWIC will stick with me forever and will never be forgotten.

Danica

I've known since I was a sophomore in high school what my major would be. I am the type of person who likes to plan out everything. I've known what I want to do, when I want to get it done and where. Since I've known all of my plans, I don't really have much more advice I could of given myself. I feel that all of my plans are going well and I wouldn't change anything. After I finish at SWIC with my Associates, I plan on attending Southern Illinois University Edwardsville to achieve my Masters in Accounting. I've got a long way to go and big ambitions that I know I will accomplish as long as I work hard and keep in mind all of my goals. I would appreciate any help that I can get in accomplishing my goals. I am currently paying for my own schooling and would love all the help I could receive.

I wish i could of known that I could get done with school faster. I wasn't aware of the fact that I could take more than 4 classes at once.

It's a great, small community college that's locate near my home.

Tajia

I would tell myself to do my research more thoroughly, even if I have a career picked out, I would tell myself to research the quickest and smartest way to go about getting my degrees, whatever they might be and to never let anyone tell me that I can't do it or I shouldn't do it just because it's difficult. The best things in life are hard to come by, so I would tell myself to work for it. And not to be so lazy and look for scholarships! If I have trouble, ask someone qualified for help. Don't rely on others to do my work for me. Take music lessons outside of school to better myself. Stay focused. Be positive. Surround myself with people who will love me and support me. Be aggressive in going for what I want, forget about stage fright, nervousness or anything else. Keep my eyes on the prize. The road to success is paved with temptation, but it'll be worth it if I stay on the path and never falter. And thank God every day for the blessings I'm given.

I wouldn't say that any particular person SHOULDN'T attend because I don't have the authority to say who should come or not. I would say that if you're looking for a smaller school that has smaller classes so that you can get 1 on 1 time with a professor if you need help, SWIC is probably a good choice.

I think what makes SWIC so unique is that as small as this school is, we have kids come from all over the place to get their associates degree here. Also, our music students are the best ambassadors SWIC has. Marketing frequently uses music students for their catalouge covers and ad's that are put in local movie theaters. It's very close to home.

Shayla

I wish I had took the time to look for more scholarship money.

I wish I had took the time to look for more scholarship money.

Nothing is too bad about my school. The counselors aren't as helpful as they should be when it comes to helping a new college student.

I would have given the advice to start earlier when looking for scholarships and also applying to schools. Don't just look for scholarships and apply to schools for one day make it a daily habit to look or apply.