Belleville, IL
Southwestern Illinois College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Southwestern Illinois College

Colton

I would tell myself that happiness is a choice. I'd also say that sometimes silver linings are hard to see. I would tell myself that college is a one part fun two parts hard work. "Use your time wisely and do you homework younger me" I'd say. I would tell me to listen to my parents and older sister more. Also, you may want start saving money for college now. I'd make sure that I wasn't so afraid to make mistakes. But the most important message I would have for myself is please save your 17 page English on something other than your blue flash drive! You are going to lose it!

The teachers are easily the best thing about my school. I have heard many horror stories of students from different colleges being taught by teaching assistants. Others have tales of indifferent professors focused more on their own research than teaching. At SWIC the teachers care and genuinely want you to learn. A lot of them are highschool teachers that also teach here. It's amazing to know that you don't have to worry about getting a bad teacher when you sign up for a class.

The fact that SWIC is a two year community college is probably its biggest strike against it. Two year community colleges get bum raps for not providing good educations. I am hear to say, it's not true of SWIC.

Angela

Southwestern Illinois College provides inexpensive credit hours, transferrable courses, and small class sizes that allow students to achieve general education requirements for 4-year universities.

It's best known for having reasonably priced credit hours and conveniently located campuses.

As a high school senior, I would better explore career options that are common in my area. An extensive scholarship search would likely pay off and better prepare me for the unexpected. Finding others with common interests to talk to for advice in how they have gone about following their dreams would be helpful in shaping my own dreams. Also I would tell myself that anything is possible and don't put limitations on yourself because you can do anything you set your mind to. Watch your spending habits and make informed decisions. Life is unpredictable, so have an open mind. Don't be afraid to share with others your ideas because that shows them who you are.

Greg

SWIC is like a family, they may frustrate you sometimes, even annoy you, but you can always count on them to help you out, and provide what you with exactly what you need.

I would tell myself to work hard in my classes, and what classes to take while I'm at SWIC. I'd convince my self not to procrastinate with starting college for the first time. I would convince myself to register earlier for classes, and to save my more of my money for college and books. I would give myself advice on the cost of college, and the books that I would need for my classes. I would tell myself to look into scholarships so I could maybe save some money. I would also tell myself to look into colleges earlier, even though I would just be starting at SWIC. I would get myself to take extra art classes during the summer so i would have more art experience under my belt.

The people, the teachers provide a great learning enviorment, I have met, and made plenty of friends. I actually wanted to learn from the teachers I have had. My favorite courses have always been art courses, and I have learned so much. I learned how to critique art work and learned how to better my work from critiques from my fellow students and teachers. The students in my classes have opened my eyes to so many different processes of doing projects for art. The experiences I've had at SWIC will stick with me forever and will never be forgotten.

Danica

It's a great, small community college that's locate near my home.

It's a great, small community college that's locate near my home.

I've known since I was a sophomore in high school what my major would be. I am the type of person who likes to plan out everything. I've known what I want to do, when I want to get it done and where. Since I've known all of my plans, I don't really have much more advice I could of given myself. I feel that all of my plans are going well and I wouldn't change anything. After I finish at SWIC with my Associates, I plan on attending Southern Illinois University Edwardsville to achieve my Masters in Accounting. I've got a long way to go and big ambitions that I know I will accomplish as long as I work hard and keep in mind all of my goals. I would appreciate any help that I can get in accomplishing my goals. I am currently paying for my own schooling and would love all the help I could receive.

I wish i could of known that I could get done with school faster. I wasn't aware of the fact that I could take more than 4 classes at once.

Tajia

I think what makes SWIC so unique is that as small as this school is, we have kids come from all over the place to get their associates degree here. Also, our music students are the best ambassadors SWIC has. Marketing frequently uses music students for their catalouge covers and ad's that are put in local movie theaters. It's very close to home.

I would tell myself to do my research more thoroughly, even if I have a career picked out, I would tell myself to research the quickest and smartest way to go about getting my degrees, whatever they might be and to never let anyone tell me that I can't do it or I shouldn't do it just because it's difficult. The best things in life are hard to come by, so I would tell myself to work for it. And not to be so lazy and look for scholarships! If I have trouble, ask someone qualified for help. Don't rely on others to do my work for me. Take music lessons outside of school to better myself. Stay focused. Be positive. Surround myself with people who will love me and support me. Be aggressive in going for what I want, forget about stage fright, nervousness or anything else. Keep my eyes on the prize. The road to success is paved with temptation, but it'll be worth it if I stay on the path and never falter. And thank God every day for the blessings I'm given.

I wouldn't say that any particular person SHOULDN'T attend because I don't have the authority to say who should come or not. I would say that if you're looking for a smaller school that has smaller classes so that you can get 1 on 1 time with a professor if you need help, SWIC is probably a good choice.

Shayla

I would have given the advice to start earlier when looking for scholarships and also applying to schools. Don't just look for scholarships and apply to schools for one day make it a daily habit to look or apply.

I wish I had took the time to look for more scholarship money.

Nothing is too bad about my school. The counselors aren't as helpful as they should be when it comes to helping a new college student.

Victoria

My classmates want to get a college experence at a low cost.

My classmates want to get a college experence at a low cost.

Listen when somone says "Scholarship opportunity" and apply for it. Every little amount of money you can get will help. Also if yo want to go to a 4 year college right out of high school, well don't. Start at a 2-year community college. Why you may ask-first you don't really know what you want to end up doing right after high school and could end up changing your mind a million times, do to the many options out there. Also going off to a big 4 year college in will be most likely the first time you are away from your partents and a some what stuctured life. So you will have this new found freedom that sometimes gets the best of first time colleges students. Meaning that some drop out the first semster and are back at home with mommy and daddy, with there freedom gone. So by going to a 2 year college first you can get your general done, which will most likely transfer to the 4 year college, and live at home, which will save a good amount of money, and maybe have a job too.

Students that want to transfer to 4-year college. Starting will give a great chance to save on money by taking classes that transfer. Also everyone one needs some kind of college to survive the world now. Just by getting an Associated Degree in something you are interested in will help in life. This college is low on the cost for a great education.

Lawrence

Before anyone goes to an institution of higher learning, they should look back at thier high school career and ask them selves three simple questions: 1. Did I excell in high school academically? 2. Was I in school by choice, or because I had to go? 3. Have I taken the time to really decide what I want to do for the rest of my life, professionally? Some people are not cut out to be college students and some prefer to enter the work world immediately or enter the military. There is nothing wrong with any decision, as long as the person can look at themselves in the mirror and honestly tell themselves and family, that they made the right decision. Some people are not ready for college immediately after high school and working until they decide the path they want to follow is fine, college will still be there and maybe they can excel after a period of maturing. Every person is different and the choice they make at such an early age will be with them for life. Ask questions, talk to councelors and friends before deciding anything. You can afford time to be cautious.

I think I have no one to blame but myself for not keeping up with the educational level I need to succeed in today's job market. I only had to keep abreast of the courses offered and I would have known that I could advance myself with the help of the staff of my current school. The school has a very good policy of sending out information to every resident, and I didn't even take time to look.

I think the worse thing about my school is that some programs are funded better than others. I attend HVAR classes and have to move from city to city at other campuses to get the training I need to achieve the proper training that I aspire for. It seems that, and to a certain extent I agree with the policy, that most programs of study at my school are funded by the popularity and demand for the courses by the students.

Sara

My school is known by how cheap your class are and how small they are so you and your instructor can work on a better level.

Some of the tings I wouild tell myself was that, don't think that college was jsut going to be a piece of cake. That you just can't assume that college is going to be the same as high school was. You need to work your butt off on your senior year and you should take geometry in high school so you don't have to worry about it in college, because either way you are going to take geometry, so take care of it while your in high school. Another thign I would tell myself is that you need to help your mom more around the house so that youcan do latter on when your mom isn't there to do it for you. Well I guess that is pretty much all I would say to myself if I went back in time.

That I have such small classes that I'm able to get to know my instructor and what they expect out of me.

All of my classmates are very good friends and know each other well.

All of my classmates are very good friends and know each other well.

Getting out of Belleville is the one thing in the world you are determined to do, but maybe you should take a little bit more time to research and look at the good and bad aspects of staying in Belleville. The first week of going to school in Florida will be a blast but then you'll realize that you miss the life you had at home. After you are in Florida you will spend days just wishing you were in Belleville and at the last minute the day your supposted to drive back to school for second semester you will change your mind and end up staying in Belleville. How last minute? You'll turn the car around in Tennessee to come back to Belleville. If you really take the time to way out the options and what you are losing you will choose to go to SWIC like mom and dad are telling you and not waste the money going somewhere you will end up hating.

The worst part about school was not knowing anyone and being 900 miles away from my family and friends.

Southwestern Illinois College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.