Southwestern Oklahoma State University

« See more reviews of Southwestern Oklahoma State University

You had to make the hard decision of choosing whether to stay close to home or go farther away. You are afraid of regreting your decision, but let me tell you to stop worring. |You will be okay and will love college. Get over being homesick; it will take away opportunites to make friends. Do not spend sleepless nights worrying about school because you are a hard working girl who has God by your side. He will not let anything bad happen to you. Remember, things happen for a reason so accept things how they are. If you would have stayed home, you probably would have not made new friends because you would have stayed with your old friends. Coming to a new place forced you to meet your new best friend. She means the world to you and is there whenever you need her most. Also, if you would have stayed close to home, you would not be part of a great program like the Southwestern Bulldog Marching Band. Southwestern is a great adventure and experience that will impact your life in a great way. Take the chance,spread your wings, and leave home. Remember, have fun!

If I were able to go back in time and talk to myself as a senior in high school, I would tell myself three things to utilize while attending college. I would first tell myself to be more open to making friends and to be more accepting of people in general. I realized when I came to college that there are many different kinds of people within the world and simply because someone is different than I had expected does not make them someone I should avoid. I would also tell myself to learn while in high school how to manage my time more efficiently. Several of my professors at this school have told me that each student should spend at least double the time preparing outside of class as what they spend within the classroom. For example, a student should spend six hours outside of the classroom preparing for a three hour class. I did not come to college expecting to spend that much time preparing outside of class, but that is what is necessary to succeed in a university setting. Last of all, I would tell myself to have fun in college and always be myself.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself to not worry so much about what other people think. I would tell myself to accept myself just as I am. I would tell myself to do a self-inventory and figure out what I enjoy doing and what my personal strengths are. I would let my personal interests and strengths guide me more when making life-impacting decisions including college and career choices. I would tell myself to think about my life in ten years, 20 years, and 50 years from high school...and ask myself where do I want to be at those points in my life? How will I get there? I would write down my goals. Treasure the good memories, learn from my mistakes, and forgive myself for wrong choices. Don't be afraid to admit my weaknesses and ask others for help. Always do my best, don't take things personally, don't make assumptions, don't live in the past, keep my word, be quick to apologize and forgive, do daily random acts of kindness and finally, I would talk less and listen more.

If I was to be given the chance to go back in time to my senior year I would give myself much more mature advice then ever went through my head as teenager. I would first tell myself to not wish away my last year of high school and to enjoy every second of it. I would also then know how extremely important it is to take advantage of all the concurrent classes available to you while your there. I wish I had taken those classes then, because I would have been so much more ahead of the game then I was when I got to college. I would also do what I know now is much more important than maybe any work or project I have ever done, and that is networking. I have come to realize that is much bigger and important than most people think. It is not always about what you know, but who you know. If I could go back I would have communicated and talked much more with my teachers, students, and administrators. Those are the things I would try to approach very differently if I were able to go back in time.

My advice would be to apply and tutor all the colleges you are interested in, and get as much as info about each of them as you can. Don't just go to the school where your best friends from high school went, venture out and make new friends because college friends will last a lifetime. Ask lots of questions about the colleges you are looking at, no question is inappropriate. As for making the most of your college experience; get involved! Join intermural sports, clubs, campus organizations, etc. Its a great to meet people with similar interests and make great friends. Find a balance between your acedemics and social life. Both are important. You can't have a great college experience if you never socialize but you also won't have one if you never study or succeed in class. Go to class, skipping class is the worest way to ruin your grades! Don't stress out, but study hard and do well on tests early in the year so when finals roll around your grade will be secured.

I did not believe that transitioning from high school to college would be as easy as it has been. I expected my mom to cry when they dropped me off. It doesn't always happen like that. I also expected to get a lot more homesick than I have. Sure, I go home most weekends but it's not lonely like I believed. If you don't like the first roommate, don't sweat it. A great one will roll around someday. Understand that the work is difficult. Don't kid yourself into believing it's going to be a breeze. Study hard, young lady. Get to know at least one person really well in each of your classes. They will be able to help you learn all of the material and you'll make quite a few new friends. Go to the events. Do not think that you're going to be a loner for the 4-6 years that you are in college. You will be sad and regret doing that. Love your campus. You are going to be spending a lot of time on it. Enjoy it all. You'll never get another opportunity like it.

If I could go back in time and talk to my high school self about college advice, I would not have given any. The reason because without learning all of the college experiences on my own, it would not have meant as much as it does. You only learn something if you go through it yourself and come out better from it. I consider it better that you learn on your own because then you are prone to making mistakes, and while mistakes are bad you learn from them, and they are what shapes your personality. Learning things on your own helps you become the person that you will live the rest of your life as. But if I had to go back and talk to my high school self, I would tell her that school is harder, but funner in college, and that she needs to start forming a routine study habit. I would also tell her to relax and have fun while transitioning to college, because it will only happen once, so she should make the most of it, and have fun while doing.

First of all, I believe that students should not limit themselves to looking at only one school. There is nothing wrong with exploring other options, you never know the opportunities that looking around could provide. There are many schools that can make a student happy, but a person needs to settle on a place that they feel most comfortable and feel that they can achieve their best academic success. If a prospectant student likes to be involved in on-campus activities and community projects, the student should look around campus and ask other students what types of activities there are and see what they could become involved in. When new students get to their school they just need to be themselves and nothing else. There will be others who will like them for who the are, and with those people a student will have no problem in making many memories and friendships that will last them the rest of their lives.

The best advice I have is to start with a college that your interested in and research it. A key thing to being happy at the college of your choice is to make sure it is a good fit for yourself. Some questions to ask are ; is the location right? is this college the right size? In order to make the most of your college experience, my best advice is to become involved. There are a number of clubs, organizations, fraternities, events, gatherings, and any other social event you could think of that occur at colleges. In order to be happy in college you have to have friends. I have found, through my 3 years of college , most of the people I have met are through campus related events. The college I am at is not the biggest and not the best located, but I have had a great time at this college because of friends. I will never forget some of the things I've experienced or people I've met through campus events.

This individual would first and foremost put much more effort in my academics as well as participate in more programs in the high school. As a senior, I chose only to work when I wanted to and although I earned my high school diploma, I failed to achieve the levels that I had the potential to. I would also plan for college, financially as well as academically. My desire after school was simply to find a job and earn money which I would then spend. As a result, I was unprepared for life and rather than having goals for myself, I chose to live life moment by moment. I would value friendships, both students and educators and make sure those relationships continued past my high school years. I would seek the advice of my parents and mentors rather than choosing to do as I pleased. I believe that I would choose a more realistic path that would benefit me in the future as a citizen and as a parent.