Southwestern Oklahoma State University Top Questions

If I was to be given the chance to go back in time to my senior year I would give myself much more mature advice then ever went through my head as teenager. I would first tell myself to not wish away my last year of high school and to enjoy every second of it. I would also then know how extremely important it is to take advantage of all the concurrent classes available to you while your there. I wish I had taken those classes then, because I would have been so much more ahead of the game then I was when I got to college. I would also do what I know now is much more important than maybe any work or project I have ever done, and that is networking. I have come to realize that is much bigger and important than most people think. It is not always about what you know, but who you know. If I could go back I would have communicated and talked much more with my teachers, students, and administrators. Those are the things I would try to approach very differently if I were able to go back in time.

Kelli

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself to not worry so much about what other people think. I would tell myself to accept myself just as I am. I would tell myself to do a self-inventory and figure out what I enjoy doing and what my personal strengths are. I would let my personal interests and strengths guide me more when making life-impacting decisions including college and career choices. I would tell myself to think about my life in ten years, 20 years, and 50 years from high school...and ask myself where do I want to be at those points in my life? How will I get there? I would write down my goals. Treasure the good memories, learn from my mistakes, and forgive myself for wrong choices. Don't be afraid to admit my weaknesses and ask others for help. Always do my best, don't take things personally, don't make assumptions, don't live in the past, keep my word, be quick to apologize and forgive, do daily random acts of kindness and finally, I would talk less and listen more.

Allison, I am you from the future coming back to give you some heads up. Do what everyone had told you about filling out as many schoarships because winning one is not enough. Do make lots of new friends and say hi to everyone because they will say hi back. Do talk to the guy you think is cute because he will see him often and regret never saying hi. Do go to the welleness center when you are bored instead of napping because you will miss out on a lot. Do not be an overachiever and make applying to collages a competition because it is a waste of money. Do not be naive and think collage courses are like AP classes because they are much harder since you have not cushion grade. Do not attempt to do everything yourself because there are people there to help you. Do not think you have to eat your money worths because the food will always be there. Lastly, be yourself and everything will be fun!

Sheila

I would tell myself to actually read those books that the English teacher assigns. Farenheit 451 and Jane Erye come in really helpful in your college English class. I would also convience myself to work on not procrastinating on homework. If you get in the habit of it now, the school work will not be as hard as you will make it be by waiting. Since I still live at home, it seems like it is harder for me to make friends. I wold tell my high school self to be more outgoing the first semester. Without friends to talk to school gets very tedious and boring. The most important thing I woud tell myself is to not be nervous. It is not as bad and you think it will be. You will make new friends, but you will lose some of the ones you were close to in high school. As time goes on you begin to talk to them less and your new friends become closer. I would tell myself to just breath and let it be.

Lee

Hi teeage brat me! You think you know everything now, but college will give you a run for your money! Life in college will be extremely hard if you don't get it into gear! You have high ambition, high expectation, but you haven't prepped yourself well enough! Have patience! Learn time management! Learn how to learn! School isn't just about "getting it done" anymore, it's about the process, earning your learning, and all the blood, sweat, and tears leading to your ambitions. There will be many obstacles ahead of you! Surround yourself with a good support system, keep striving, and keep your head up! Keep going and I promise you will go far! Sincerely, Accomplished you!

If I could go back in time and talk to my high school self about college advice, I would not have given any. The reason because without learning all of the college experiences on my own, it would not have meant as much as it does. You only learn something if you go through it yourself and come out better from it. I consider it better that you learn on your own because then you are prone to making mistakes, and while mistakes are bad you learn from them, and they are what shapes your personality. Learning things on your own helps you become the person that you will live the rest of your life as. But if I had to go back and talk to my high school self, I would tell her that school is harder, but funner in college, and that she needs to start forming a routine study habit. I would also tell her to relax and have fun while transitioning to college, because it will only happen once, so she should make the most of it, and have fun while doing.

Alvaro

I wish i could have looked into more colleges and applied for a lot more scholarships. It would have helped my parents with the burden of paying for college as their income is just enough to sustain our home.

Forget everything you knew about high school. The professors care about your education and will work with you if you have a problem. There's a focus on academics instead of just simply athletic prowess. There is a tradeoff though; you will have to do homework. Don't think you can just move in with your partying buddies and stay up all night. The days will be long and hard; and you might lose some of your friends by not hanging out with them, but it will be worth it in the end. You do not want to end up like I did scraping by for ten years, working hard labor for sixty hours a week and still being broke at the end of the month. A successful career is far more rewarding in the end and nothing say you can't have a little fun after your homework is done.

Doug

Don't be set on single school, bust your ass on the ACT or SAT

Savannah

Be true to yourself and don't make the popular choice in choosing a college or university to attend. Choose what will be the best fit for the type of person you are. If you want a casual learning experience with a great deal of social life then a larger university with great social club structure is more for you. If you are a serious student that wants to learn the material in a smaller classroom environment then look at schools that will fit that and place less emphasis on social life. College is what you make of it and no one can predict what experience you will have. The choices you make from this point forward will greatly influence your future. No longer is everything spelled out for you. Understand that learning is a process and allow it to evolve and change as you go through the experience.

My college experience has taught me how to handle situations in a mature manner, how to not procrastinate and get my work done, and most of all how valuable my education really is. It has been such a learning experience to move away from everything I know and love to a small town and learn how to adjust. It is going to make my future everything that I want it to be. College is so valuable, because it teaches students how to grow up and mature without parents. It teaches them how to be responsible and that in order to get what you want you have to work for it. College is just the first step to my future.

caleb

well, when i started out i took a year off after highschool, worked on a pig farm for seaboard foods in colorado, didn't like that, tryed to join the army lost 50 pounds. turned out i was to fat still.. gave up and made it here.. got depressed but im doing okay just need money for my books maybe food cause im hungrey.

My college experience has been very interesting. High school does not do enough to prepare you for the college experience. In college, you must study and work hard to acheive the grades you want; whereas, in high school, you can slack and still get the grades you desire. College has taught me three main things: make friends in each class so you can develop a study group together, do not wait until the night before any exam to study, and get to know your professors. These three things have helped me start my long-term goal in becoming a pharmacist. My professors are eager to help me when i ask for it, and they explain things clearly to where I understand. The professors are outstanding teachers, and they have made college a valuable experience for me.

Kylee

I have gained so many memories and friendships in the one year that I have attended college. Some of the most memorable moments that I have had have been at my university. Attending college has also given me the opportunity to meet new people and to make new friends; these are friendships that I know will last a lifetime. Aside from the fun times that my friends and I have had, I know that attending and graduating from college will be one of the most important things I will do. I am a very goal oriented person, and I know that in order to achieve great things in life I will need a proper education. My ultimate goal in life is to be able to make an impact on other people's lives, but I know that without a college education I will not have to knowledge necessary to really be able to put what I have learned into action.

College has tought me that I must build a foundation for my education. As a Pre-Pharmacy major I have jumped head strong into chemistry club to help prepare myself for Pharmacy school. I have also become involved with several clubs to further expreess myself as an indivual. By joining these clubs I have been able to acclimate to the new lifestyle while building success for my future at the same time. College has been a life changing experiance. Some aspects have changed for the better, others for the worse. Overall, I am proud that I have gotten this far in my education. I understand that I must prepare myself for Pharmacy School, and more importantly I have found who I am.

Mekayla

I did not believe that transitioning from high school to college would be as easy as it has been. I expected my mom to cry when they dropped me off. It doesn't always happen like that. I also expected to get a lot more homesick than I have. Sure, I go home most weekends but it's not lonely like I believed. If you don't like the first roommate, don't sweat it. A great one will roll around someday. Understand that the work is difficult. Don't kid yourself into believing it's going to be a breeze. Study hard, young lady. Get to know at least one person really well in each of your classes. They will be able to help you learn all of the material and you'll make quite a few new friends. Go to the events. Do not think that you're going to be a loner for the 4-6 years that you are in college. You will be sad and regret doing that. Love your campus. You are going to be spending a lot of time on it. Enjoy it all. You'll never get another opportunity like it.

Merry

This individual would first and foremost put much more effort in my academics as well as participate in more programs in the high school. As a senior, I chose only to work when I wanted to and although I earned my high school diploma, I failed to achieve the levels that I had the potential to. I would also plan for college, financially as well as academically. My desire after school was simply to find a job and earn money which I would then spend. As a result, I was unprepared for life and rather than having goals for myself, I chose to live life moment by moment. I would value friendships, both students and educators and make sure those relationships continued past my high school years. I would seek the advice of my parents and mentors rather than choosing to do as I pleased. I believe that I would choose a more realistic path that would benefit me in the future as a citizen and as a parent.

Dorothy

To start off, I never made it to my senior year I dropped out of school in 10th grade to get married. I am just starting out college at the age of 54. I would have told myself to stay in school and that starting college right from high school graduation would have been the easiest way to go. You are still in the learning mode and and what you have learned in high school is still fresh in your mind. when you decide to wait Life has a way of getting in the way. Going back to school after 30 years will be alot more difficult than going right away. I am raising my grandson so his needs have to be met before mine. That means studying at all hours, after cooking and cleaning etc. .It will be a challenge. One that I look forward to.

Derek

I probably would have told myself to have gone to college sooner in life. Also, to not be afraid of the transition to college. I know alot of people get scared of the added reponsibilty of enrolling in college. You just need to remember that you can find help pretty much everywhere if you feel overwhelmed, and to also really think about the major your choosing if that's the right one for you.

If I could go back i time, I would tell myself to learn to study. There are classes in which all you do is take tests and the study time that goes into the tests are very vital to the success in the class. Also I would tell myself too be more diligent with my homework. Unlike in high school, homework is not due the next day and can sometimes not be due for a weeks at a time. The best time to start on that homework is after class so the lessons of the day are fresh in your mind. Also I would tell myself to not be afraid to make new friends. College is a time to learn more about yourself. It is also a time to find the people with whom you can surround yourself in learning who are you are. It is the time to find the adult inside you ready, or not, for the adventure of life.

Alejandra

You had to make the hard decision of choosing whether to stay close to home or go farther away. You are afraid of regreting your decision, but let me tell you to stop worring. |You will be okay and will love college. Get over being homesick; it will take away opportunites to make friends. Do not spend sleepless nights worrying about school because you are a hard working girl who has God by your side. He will not let anything bad happen to you. Remember, things happen for a reason so accept things how they are. If you would have stayed home, you probably would have not made new friends because you would have stayed with your old friends. Coming to a new place forced you to meet your new best friend. She means the world to you and is there whenever you need her most. Also, if you would have stayed close to home, you would not be part of a great program like the Southwestern Bulldog Marching Band. Southwestern is a great adventure and experience that will impact your life in a great way. Take the chance,spread your wings, and leave home. Remember, have fun!

The Angel on my shoulder would have definitely won most of the fights rather than the red guy if I could have given myself advice back then!!... As a senior all I wanted to do was party and hang out with all my friends, which was great because I rarely see them anymore, but I would give myself some advice on being more responsible and to realize "money doesn't magically appear in a wallet", as my parents like to say. I have enjoyed this first year in college, but goodness it is tought having to work 2 jobs and focus on school work. It is nice receiving help from my parents, however as I start getting better with this responsibility stuff, I realized it is such a good feeling being able to work hard for things and putting a smile on my parents face.

Knowing what I know now, I can't even attempt to think what advice I would have given myself three years ago. The only problem I experienced upon entering college was the fact that I didn't know how to study. I never had to in high school. But fortunately, I have figured that out via my own experiences. All of my other experiences have sculpted me to be the person I am today. All the mistakes I have made over the last 3 years while attending college and all the organizations and friends I have made have influenced me a great deal. I wouldn't go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior. I am proud of the person I am today.

Well, there are a few things I could say to myself that would have helped me now. I could tell my HS senior self to stop spending all of your money and actually save it for college. Make better study habits for yourself because you actually have to study when you get to college, and work on your form with your research papers. Other than that I was in concurrent enrollment in high school my senior year and I had 18 hours when I graduated I think I was decently prepared.

Allyson

If I were able to go back in time and talk to myself as a senior in high school, I would tell myself three things to utilize while attending college. I would first tell myself to be more open to making friends and to be more accepting of people in general. I realized when I came to college that there are many different kinds of people within the world and simply because someone is different than I had expected does not make them someone I should avoid. I would also tell myself to learn while in high school how to manage my time more efficiently. Several of my professors at this school have told me that each student should spend at least double the time preparing outside of class as what they spend within the classroom. For example, a student should spend six hours outside of the classroom preparing for a three hour class. I did not come to college expecting to spend that much time preparing outside of class, but that is what is necessary to succeed in a university setting. Last of all, I would tell myself to have fun in college and always be myself.

I would have told myself get the meal plans every semester. I would also tell myself to work out a good plan with my advisor several months before starting college. Another thing I wish I would have looked into was CLEP ing out of more General Education classes. That is probably the biggest thing that I wish I would have done differently. CLEP ing out of classes would be the best way to insure how soon someone gets out of college. I wish I would have known more about it before starting classes. Other than that I felt that I was pretty prepared for school since I was in the military for 2 years before I came to college. Military life is probably the best way to prepare and be ready for a good transition.

i would tell myself to start school and not skip a year. I would tell my self to just go and get my GE classes done and explore around to figure out exactly what I want to do when I graduate. I would tell myself to take all the help I can get from the faculty on campus because they really know what they are doing here.

Study harder and don't be afraid to push yourself academically. Don't be afraid to fail if you are trully trying. Failure is a part of learning as long as you're putting it all out there. Go after your dreams and focus on them, they are yours and yours alone and they will sustain you in difficult times as long as you are faithful to them. Listen to and learn from those who love you. They do know more than you even if they don't. Just learn the difference. Enjoy life, you only have one shot. Inhale it everyday as though it's your last, for many it is and will be for you too. This is more valuable than anything. Learn to love knowledge, understanding, and those who impart it. Don't waste time with people who don't cherish their life. Call your mom, she misses you.

Give her up. She dumped you, you're coming into a new chapter of your life, enjoy it. Study a bit more than you did in highschool, sure, you can get by, but step out of the crowd and show people what you're made of, you can be the lion instead of the mouse, and the sooner you choose to do so, the better.

Ashton

Always know that your future is in your own hands. Go out and have fun and enjoy college. It is the best part of your life. I was glad I prepared in high school so I knew how to study. Stay trueto yourself.

Aubrey

Go out there and experience new things. Be adventurous and make new friends.

Coralia

I would advise myself to not spend my time that is not worth it. My main idea of going to college will be to success in every single class not putting at risk my grades if i did like or not the teachers or classmates i was with. My main concentration will be books and knowing i can have social moments whenever time was the best. I also will advise myself to make friends who will benefit in my studies.

Jaqueline

"Hey, you're making the right choice going to SWOSU, so don't second guess yourself. It's going to work out great because it is exactly what you want. Don't be scared to make new friends, because it is totally easy! Living without mom is hard at first, but I promise it gets way better! And when she says to get a job, get one. Balancing school and a job i easy. There are so many options for classes and at the times you want to go. We both know you'll never get up early, so you can take afternoon classes. You will be great! Good luck, even though I know you don't need it.

rafel

The best advice I have is to start with a college that your interested in and research it. A key thing to being happy at the college of your choice is to make sure it is a good fit for yourself. Some questions to ask are ; is the location right? is this college the right size? In order to make the most of your college experience, my best advice is to become involved. There are a number of clubs, organizations, fraternities, events, gatherings, and any other social event you could think of that occur at colleges. In order to be happy in college you have to have friends. I have found, through my 3 years of college , most of the people I have met are through campus related events. The college I am at is not the biggest and not the best located, but I have had a great time at this college because of friends. I will never forget some of the things I've experienced or people I've met through campus events.

Novina

The most important things to look for when finding the right college is how one will pay for school and how much tuition costs will be. Also it is important to know if the student wants to be in a rural or big city setting. It is also important to know what fields of study are available at the school that the student might be interested in. It is also important to know about the living conditions the student might be living in and what the options are for living accomodations.

Koby

first off sign up for every scholarship possible; you can never have to much aid. Next find the university that fits your preferences; if you want to get far away then do it, or if you want to stay close to home do it. Apply to all colleges that interest you. Attend the orientations it is a great way to meet new people and make friends in a new place. Do your school work throughout the day instead of puttin it off until that night, so you can have time for activities and social life. The field you wish to go into upon graduating college should also be a deciding factor in the college you attend; choose one that is strong in that area.

Novina

My advice is to find a college that is right for the student, a college that meets academic, size, financial criteria. The college has too have the right type of degree program for the student. The college should also have extracirricular activies, clubs, or sports that the student is interested in. The college should have on-campus housing if that is where the student would like to live. Also having a college be in a good location, close to shopping areas and restaurants is one of the most important things for students who are out on their own for the first time and having things to do other than school activities and homework is important too.

My advice would be to apply and tutor all the colleges you are interested in, and get as much as info about each of them as you can. Don't just go to the school where your best friends from high school went, venture out and make new friends because college friends will last a lifetime. Ask lots of questions about the colleges you are looking at, no question is inappropriate. As for making the most of your college experience; get involved! Join intermural sports, clubs, campus organizations, etc. Its a great to meet people with similar interests and make great friends. Find a balance between your acedemics and social life. Both are important. You can't have a great college experience if you never socialize but you also won't have one if you never study or succeed in class. Go to class, skipping class is the worest way to ruin your grades! Don't stress out, but study hard and do well on tests early in the year so when finals roll around your grade will be secured.

Cally

I would say that students should go to a school that for sure offers the program they want to get into. One that if they are an athlete, has a competitive team. I have really enjoyed my time here at SWOSU, I really like the people and the professors, I think that is very important, you want to feel welcome and not out of place. I think that your financial situation needs to be considered, because you can not consintrate on school if your stressed about money. Other than I would just say to make sure it is a place where you can have fun, be yourself, and gain a lot of experiences, because that is a big part of college too.

Go on a tour, try to meet with a teacher and ask random students walking around the advantages and disadvantages of coming to their school. The students are honest, but get many people because some hate it and some love it, while others are neutral. Try to get multiples of each before deciding. Find out if the city around it has things to do, and what the school offers. The school is not the only important thing, its the teachers and your surroundings that make it a good or bad place to learn.

ebony

allow yourself time to look over the school and visit and make sure its the right choice for you.

First of all, I believe that students should not limit themselves to looking at only one school. There is nothing wrong with exploring other options, you never know the opportunities that looking around could provide. There are many schools that can make a student happy, but a person needs to settle on a place that they feel most comfortable and feel that they can achieve their best academic success. If a prospectant student likes to be involved in on-campus activities and community projects, the student should look around campus and ask other students what types of activities there are and see what they could become involved in. When new students get to their school they just need to be themselves and nothing else. There will be others who will like them for who the are, and with those people a student will have no problem in making many memories and friendships that will last them the rest of their lives.

Visit the college and talk to some of the professors that teach in your major and/or minor. If you don't know what you want to do, talk to all the areas that sound interesting. Don't be afraid to say you don't know what you want to do, everyone doubts it at some point and most people change. Look around the campus and be sure it isn't too big or too small. Also, try to find returning students and ask them the best and worst things on campus to them. Maybe they will give you tips on the dorms, teachers, and activities that they enjoy as well.