Coos Bay, OR
Southwestern Oregon Community College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Southwestern Oregon Community College

Brandi

Absolutely horrible experience, start to finish. When I was on financial aid/student loans, the disbursements that are controlled by their financial aid office on campus was often late and in the incorrect amounts. I had past due notices on my living expenses because they never gave students the money they were entitled to on time or accurately due to losing paperwork. The teachers are of low quality and disappointing. There are a couple good ones, but overall you will kill yourself with unreasonable due dates on large assignments and wait 3 weeks to see a grade pop up on your online student account. By the time finals comes around, you have no idea how you're sitting in the class because there's still 6 past assignments that have yet to be graded. Most online teachers are part-time, therefore only answer your emails or texts on a part-time basis. To add insult to injury, when I finally made it through, they lost my graduation application, misprinted my name on the diploma I did not receive my tiny 5x7 inch diploma until 2 months after I graduated. What a waste of a few years, "education" and $30k.

I have enjoyed my time at Southwestern Oregon. I really like the wide variety of sports offered because I am a swimmer and Southwestern Oregon Community College is the only NJCAA school west of the mid-west that has a swim team. I also really like that the campus is so close to the beach. My friends and I like going to the beach quite often, spending time adventuring, and trying to find small, secluded beaches we have to climb down to.

Natalie

Southwestern Oregon Community College is a school located in the small coastal town of Coos Bay, OR. Surrounded by evergreen trees, the school is isolated from the main road, giving a sense of serenity. Small class sizes, eager faculty and an overall positive atmosphere give an appealing feel to the school. This is easily a place to call home the small town feel inevitably grows on everyone there. The student population is dominantly comprised of student-athletes that thrive both in the classroom and on the field, court, pool or course. This aids to the sense of community felt at Southwestern as there are massive waves of support from one sports team to another. The experiences had at this small school are a perfect starting ground for any college student, excited to being the college process. I hold Southwestern in the highest regard.

Chelsea

I believe it is an amazing school and I can't wait til the fall to attend and really get a start on my career.

Jewlia

My overall opinion about Southwestern Oregon Community College is that overall an average to moderately great school. I appreciate the music department greatly.For a "sports school" the music department is actually growing and succeeding. The music departments jazz ensembles were accepted to sing at the Apollo theater in New York in the spring.The more negative side to the school is the fact that the cafeteria is very limited in what to eat. As for someone who has a lot of food allergies , it's highly limited.

The atmosphere is wonderful but the cost of attendance is costly especially the books which is a big budget hole. I enjoy the campus layout and receiving help is never an issue, the Tutor Hall is the best part of SOCC. There is always someone there to help if needed.

Southwestern is a very unique college. It draws in people from around the country which creates an amazing diversity on campus. The apartment style dorms really help someone who is straight out of high school, like myself, ease into adult life. The small classes and campus size has made me feel at home and I never worry about my safety because I know so many people on campus. The professors and staff are intelligent, helpful, and genuinely caring about each student. Southwestern is an incredible school and I'm glad I decided to attend this college.

Matthew

It's a good community college with dorms and nice people.

It's a good community college with dorms and nice people.

Daniel

"Sixteen-year-old Daniel, right now you probably don't need to worry about knowing exactly what you want to do. You really do have plenty of time to think about it, like everyone else is telling you. Leave worrying about that for me, eighteen-year-old Daniel, instead, because I actually do need to choose a field soon. I know you'll like getting to hang out with people who share your interests. There really are other people who love studying and playing music, who enjoy making jokes about physics, who actually like math, and who take their relationship with God seriously. You definitely have the intelligence and skills to excel here. The teachers are fun to get to know, and are willing to help you do well. They will appreciate your desire to succeed. Your studying strategy could use some work. Your tendency to procrastinate will come back to bite you if you don't resolve it. Speaking of which, turn off the Trail Blazer game and study for tomorrow's quiz! When you get that 3.75 GPA and don't have to pay for tuition like me, you'll be glad you did."

I live in a town about 25 miles away, and I have to drive that distance twice every day. That's quite tiresome. Additionally, I have only found three good drinking fountains on campus. All the rest send a stream of water that's about one inch tall. In other words, my school does not give me much to complain about.

I think it's great that I was hired at the tutoring center and that I get paid for helping other students in subjects that I do well in. I enjoy talking about some of the interesting discussions we have in some classes, as well as some of the things my teachers say, whether or not I agree with them. Also, I really enjoy my indoor rock climbing PE class. Being a college student and knowing how the system works is in itself something that carries bragging rights with it.

Mariah

Southwestern Oregon Community College is a beautiful, tight-knit community within a college.

From what I have heard around campus, Southwestern Oregon Community College is best known for its nursing program. In my opinion, I think Southwestern Oregon Commnity College offers awesome resources and finicial aid to students who achieve academic excellence in high school.

My biggest fear in high school was letting the people around me down. I would go back and say "no" more. I would look myself in the tired, worn, hazel eyes and say, "Please, slow down." College was going to be my one way ticket out of the town I lived in and before I knew it, I was sitting in the musty auditorium in my cap and gown. Feeling exhausted, I took a breathe and looked around at the students I had grown up with. I barely even recognized them. Everyone was changing and scraping their lives together that we all, or at least most of us, forgot to just stop and enjoy what we were doing. High school was incredbile, but college is different. For me, I had to make friends, which was suprisingly difficult when all the friends I had, I'd known since before I could remember. College is fun and enticing, but high school is so important to the way things are for the rest of your life and I wish I would have just slowed down to look around and take a deep breath.

Southwestern Oregon Community College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.