Coos Bay, OR
Southwestern Oregon Community College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Southwestern Oregon Community College

Bree

If I could go back in time and give myself advice, I would let myself know that when I get stressed or don't know what to do, just take a deep breath. College has been very stressful for me, and I didnt learn until just recently that I can figure all things out by just taking a step back and then taking a deep breath. I've never been away from my house and family for more than a couple of weeks, so when I reached the dorm and moved in with a handful of strangers, I was going through a huge bought of loneliness. Then, add on the stress of college classes and all the extra tests and studying, I was feeling more stress and anxiety than ever before. That's when I learned the power of just taking a break and breathing. It helps put everything in perspective and then I can just calm down and try and figure out how to handle this newfound work load. It has really helped me out with the home sickness and all the homework.

Every school has a website there to help their students navigate many different things, such as the campus, and the different classes they have, but many of them just do not have a very good site. Either it's hard to navigate and figure out, or it just does not have very good information. For Southwestern I would say that they do not have an easily navigated site. The tabs that they have are very obscure and if you're looking for something specific such as the classes directory, it will be very difficult to find.

The kind of person that should attend this school is the type of person that likes cold weather and a lot of options. Almost every day in Coos Bay is rainy and cold. Of course that also means that it is green and beautiful. And education wise, there are a whole lot of different options for majors at Southwestern, so anyone can find what they want to do there. If you can think it, Southwestern can help you towards it. They even recently brought back their forestry degree.

Angela

Southwestern Oregon Community College is a very positive resource in our community and has a very diverse teaching staff from all over the world.

North Bend High School is best known for their football team.

If I could have given myself advice when I was a senior in high school regarding attending college, I would have pointed out the importance of the network of people you build while going to college. I would also stress the importance of attendance in relationship to obtaining good grades, in addition to the positive benefits of utilization of the tutoring labs. In conclusion, I would also point out the difference in salaries between individuals who have a college degree, from those who do not have a college degree.

Arrayana

Southwestern Oregon Community College is best known for its college athletics, its criminal justice program and its nursing program. It is known for its supportive teachers and its attentive staff. It is well known for its gorgeous sights and outdoor activities. And it is very well known for its climate--rain is part of a SWOCC student's way of life.

The kind of person that should attend this school should be committed and responsible. Advisors at this school do not push students into advanced courses. The person should be motivated. Three terms can seem longer and more frustrating than two terms and the daily rain does not help student's spirits.

Colton

The school year hasn't started yet, but I hear that the students in the cullinary program are really ice and very helpful.

I have not started the school year yet, but from what i have experienced over the summer I would tell my self to work even harder on Scholorships, and try to get to know ore people ahead o time so you have a few friends to help along the way.

I wish my school had more Cooking classes so that I would know more about how to cook beore entering the Cullinary Institute n Southwestern Oregon Community College

Erin

Being a comuinty college that has dorms and sports teams for which they recruit students from all over the country. Also having a seperate culinary school on the campus.

I would tell myself that college is a lot more work then high school but if you study something that you are passionate about then it feels like a breeze. I would make sure I was studying what I really wanted to study. I would make sure that I was prepared to move out because I lived in the same house my whole life so moving out was quite the transition but it went ok overall. The biggest thing that I would tell my high school self is that college is a much more diverse invironment and you start not really knowing anyone so you need to be open to new people and new friends.

Nothing I researched a lot before I came to school.

This question is one that is diffacult to answer for the fact that it was all the times I failed which made me the student I am today. I feel as though that life events is what creates and shapes you. If I went back into time and tried to encourage myself I know I wouldnt listen and ignore all of my own banter. It was me going through the college process and figuring it all out on my own is what made it so affective. I always say failure is what leads to success and I have not found one lie in that yet. The only thing I would probably tell myself is that I should apply for scholarships and schools as soon as possible rather then procrastinating like I did.

I mostly brag about the nature that engulfs the school. This is not the school for me therfore it is diffacult for me to say.

Jen

I would tell myself just to take a deep breathe. Life isn't as scary as it seems your first time out on your own. I would tell myself not to take all the easiest classes my first year in hopes of a smooth transition. It makes the next years almost unbearable to get through. All the hardest classes should be split up not all combined in one stressful year. Most of all I would tell myself that I survived and that i knew i could do it. I just needed a little faith, and a lot of caffine.

The small class sizes which makes one on one time with the teacher possible. The teachers are all very dedicated and take the time to help students with anything they are struggling with.

Someone who doesn't like small towns, and small classrooms where the teachers notice when your gone. Also anyone who hates the rain.

My school, is an awesome place to get you ready for a 4-year school.

My school, is an awesome place to get you ready for a 4-year school.

If I could go back in time to talk to myself my senior year; I would go back and advise myself to be organized, don?t procrastinate, and fill out scholarships early. I used to be unorganized. In my two years of being in college, I have found the importance of being organized. Another piece of advice I would give myself, would be to not procrastinate. My senior year I was always waiting till the last minute to finish projects, and fill out for scholarships. My projects would get bad grades and I ended up not getting any scholarships.

The worst things I consider about my school are the avalability to new equipment. With the state cutting funding to balance their budget, it has left my school with far less to work with.

Stephen

My school is perfect for anyone who is just starting on their career path, since many prerequisites to many advanced programs can be taken here.

The advice that I would tell myself would be to spend time researching many different career opportunities. In today's world, there are many high school seniors that do not have the slightest idea about different career paths. I would tell myself to try and figure out my career goals by the end of the school year. That way, I would've had more time researching different colleges instead of spending extra time deciding on a career goal. If I would've had a clearer vision of my career goal as a high school senior, I believe I would be farther along in my schooling than I am right now. So, my message to all college students is to decide on your goals early; that way, you'll have more of a chance to have early success, and you might have opportunites to finish your college schoolwork earlier than you thought possible.

I recommend my school to anyone who is fresh out of high school. It's a great place to first get started with a college career; friendly advisors and instructors make this school an easy-going place to learn.

Amy

Southwestern Oregon Community College nursing program rocks!

Southwestern Oregon Community College nursing program rocks!

I would have attended college right out of high school. Knowing that I have the potential to succeed and give something back to the community and how good it makes me feel to serve others.

I do not have any complaints about my school. I have found that Southwestern Oregon Community College Nursing Instructors are extremly supportive and they are sure to see thier students succeed. I have found that this is how thier program is unique. Thier support and encouragment makes SOCC's nursing environment condusive to learning. I have yet to expirience such a high level of teamwork and compassion at any other school. All nursing students hear war stories prior to entering a nursing program. Stories that involve nursing instructors failing students by putting them under unessessary pressure are the worst. I

Southwestern Oregon Community College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.