Southwestern Oregon Community College Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Southwestern Oregon Community College

Southwestern is a very unique college. It draws in people from around the country which creates an amazing diversity on campus. The apartment style dorms really help someone who is straight out of high school, like myself, ease into adult life. The small classes and campus size has made me feel at home and I never worry about my safety because I know so many people on campus. The professors and staff are intelligent, helpful, and genuinely caring about each student. Southwestern is an incredible school and I'm glad I decided to attend this college.

The atmosphere is wonderful but the cost of attendance is costly especially the books which is a big budget hole. I enjoy the campus layout and receiving help is never an issue, the Tutor Hall is the best part of SOCC. There is always someone there to help if needed.

Brandi

Absolutely horrible experience, start to finish. When I was on financial aid/student loans, the disbursements that are controlled by their financial aid office on campus was often late and in the incorrect amounts. I had past due notices on my living expenses because they never gave students the money they were entitled to on time or accurately due to losing paperwork. The teachers are of low quality and disappointing. There are a couple good ones, but overall you will kill yourself with unreasonable due dates on large assignments and wait 3 weeks to see a grade pop up on your online student account. By the time finals comes around, you have no idea how you're sitting in the class because there's still 6 past assignments that have yet to be graded. Most online teachers are part-time, therefore only answer your emails or texts on a part-time basis. To add insult to injury, when I finally made it through, they lost my graduation application, misprinted my name on the diploma I did not receive my tiny 5x7 inch diploma until 2 months after I graduated. What a waste of a few years, "education" and $30k.

I have enjoyed my time at Southwestern Oregon. I really like the wide variety of sports offered because I am a swimmer and Southwestern Oregon Community College is the only NJCAA school west of the mid-west that has a swim team. I also really like that the campus is so close to the beach. My friends and I like going to the beach quite often, spending time adventuring, and trying to find small, secluded beaches we have to climb down to.

Chelsea

I believe it is an amazing school and I can't wait til the fall to attend and really get a start on my career.

Natalie

Southwestern Oregon Community College is a school located in the small coastal town of Coos Bay, OR. Surrounded by evergreen trees, the school is isolated from the main road, giving a sense of serenity. Small class sizes, eager faculty and an overall positive atmosphere give an appealing feel to the school. This is easily a place to call home the small town feel inevitably grows on everyone there. The student population is dominantly comprised of student-athletes that thrive both in the classroom and on the field, court, pool or course. This aids to the sense of community felt at Southwestern as there are massive waves of support from one sports team to another. The experiences had at this small school are a perfect starting ground for any college student, excited to being the college process. I hold Southwestern in the highest regard.

Jewlia

My overall opinion about Southwestern Oregon Community College is that overall an average to moderately great school. I appreciate the music department greatly.For a "sports school" the music department is actually growing and succeeding. The music departments jazz ensembles were accepted to sing at the Apollo theater in New York in the spring.The more negative side to the school is the fact that the cafeteria is very limited in what to eat. As for someone who has a lot of food allergies , it's highly limited.

Matthew

It's a good community college with dorms and nice people.