Georgetown, TX
Southwestern University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Southwestern University

In a nutshell: My campus is best known for creating better human beings. Southwestern fosters values and ideals that enhance and enrich our lives as students and focuses both on academics and giving back to the community.

Hey Ashe, It's me: you. I've come from 10 years into the future to give you some advice. First things first: don't think you need to know exactly what you want to do with the rest of your life right now. You've got so many interests that it feels like you're changing your mind all of the time, and that's totally okay. What's most important is enriching your life with friends that will always stand behind you, being aware of what's going on in your country as well as the rest of the world, and always strive to learn something new. Most importantly: It gets better. Being an adult is awesome, but definitely get out and have some fun while you're young too. That said, once other people get to college, more important priorities begin to fall into place and so everyone else is right there with you going through the same thing. You got this! P.S - No I didn't arrive in a Delorean and please for the love of God lose the Hot Topic Tripp pants.

It's not the most transfer friendly school (more intended for undergrads fresh out of high school) but we're working on it! :)

Heather

Southwestern University is known for its beautiful campus, rigorous academic enviroment, small class sizes and impressive faculty. Many of the students were from the highest bracket in their highschool, but most are not pretentious or stuck up. Since we're near Austin, many students enjoy local concerts, dance clubs, and performances on occasion, although there are many things happening on campus so most students stick around. There's a rumor floating around that we were rated #1 in the nation for workload. We make it fun by studying in groups on campus or at local coffee shops.

I didn't consider any other schools very seriously. I visited junior year and fell in love with the campus. One thing that is unique is the student to faculty ratio of 11:1. It makes it easy to get a hold of professors when you need them. Many give out their cell phone numbers so you can call after they've left campus. We also have Pirate Bikes, a set of yellow bikes that you can take around campus, simply leaving them outside the building for whoever needs it next.

I would tell myself to engage with others more readily. I was shy for my first semester or so and ended up only having the people I lived with as friends. Although they were fantastic, I missed out on the opportunity to discuss ideas with a more diverse group. I often tell freshmen to be sure to talk to and get the phone number of at least one person in each class. That's important in case you miss something. More than that though, it's easier for me - a relatively quiet person by nature - to fully participate in class discussion when I feel like I have friends around me. In addition, on such a small campus, the walks between classes are much more interesting when you get to personally greet four or five people who you happen to cross on the way. One of the most fantastic aspects of the liberal arts experience is the ability to engage with people of a variety of backgrounds but with equal levels of passion. Relationships are essential. Talk to people!

Montana

Goal-oriented, hard working, beautifully-minded people of all kinds of identities, who fight for what they believe in, question what they're told at face value, and enjoy creating art or pushing research questions as far as possible.

I believe we're best known for our rigorously challenging academic stature, brilliant professors, small classes, beautiful campus and liberal atmosphere. I was first attracted to the Pirate Bike Program, which places bright yellow bicycles all around campus for students to freely use. This, to me, showed that the quality of student life is a priority for Southwestern.

Learn time management, and learn note-taking skills. More than anything. It is always better to get work done during the day, and have the nights to relax. Pace yourself - have the readings for classes with you wherever you go, and read and annotate throughout your day while you wait for things or if you get brief amounts of free time between classes. Go to the print lab at least thirty minutes before you need what you're printing. Your school work and your best friends are more important than parties, and in fact, partying with just your friends is a lot more fun than going to big, cantankerous parties. You'll know who these friends are because they'll want to stay in with you for fun, rather than encourage you constantly go out. You have control over your grades, your work, your investments and your happiness. When things seem too hard to handle, just breathe, make a plan, communicate with your professors, and remember: you got this.

Madge

Challenging in terms of the amount and difficulty level of work, but still supportive of the students and enjoyable to attend...

Whatever you do in college, don't procrastinate. All it does is put a lot of stress on you at the end of everyday. Make sure to get enough sleep, for if you're tired in class, it just makes it harder to concentrate and get to work on homework when you get out. Always put school work before social life, at least to some degree, because if you spend too much time with your friends, you may have difficulty finishing your work later. Always remember that, no matter how long you think an assignment is probably going to take, it's probably going to take longer, so don't schedule your day thinking that you only have a couple hours of homework. On the weekends, make sure to at least get a start on your work on Friday. Also, use the writing center on campus. If you take any rough drafts for papers there, they will edit it for you. This can only do you good and doesn't take up much time. When you go, just take some other homework with you. Stay on top of things and don't allow yourself to fall behind.

Southwestern University has a beautiful campus, small and effective classes, and extremely helpful faculty and staff.

If I could go back in time I would tell myself that time management is the key to my success in college. Procrastination is no longer an option. I will need a small agenda for my first year, but I should expect that this agenda will need to grow in size after this first year. I should also expect to feel a sense of accomplishment every time I check something off of the agenda and a sense of relief knowing that I can continue to be an active member in my sorority and campus organizations because I have gotten better at managing my time. I would also remind my younger self to enjoy senior year and being a teen because being a sophomore in college and no longer a teen is a scary thing. Thoughts about the real world start to slowly intrude into your mind, and you start wondering where your life is going, which is terrifying and exhilarating all at the same time. Lastly, I would let it slip that there will be a great support team of friends, professors, and employers there for me everyday, so to take one day at a time and remember to breathe.

The town where Southwestern is located is very small, so there is only one of everything, which makes the surrounding area seem very clustered. Being a small town also means that sometimes you need to drive into Austin if you want the traditional "night-life", so having a car on campus is a very good luxury.

Timothy

I would tell myself to keep up the hard work and BE RESPONSIBLE in everything you do. Don't allow complacency to set in and always give everything your best effort, no matter what you're doing. I would also tell myself to be more confident and not worry about the silly little things that have no impact on the big picture. Set goals for yourself and then have mini goals that help you attain the your main aspirations and don't ever give up on something just because it is difficult. Your four years in college determine a large part of the rest of your life and they are incredibly important so don't mess around and do everything to the best of your ability.

Someone who feels overwhelmed with the idea of going to a school with thousands and thousands of people would do wonderfully at Southwestern. Also, Southwestern better suits students who aren't good at teaching themselves the curriculum and are diligent in consulting their teachers for help. Southwestern is great for people who are outgoing and enjoy having strong relationships with friends instead of having tons of friends, but very few that they are actually close with.

The teachers at Southwestern are very personable and are always looking to help their students, whether it's right after class, meeting outside of class, or even through a phone call. It is not like a big school where the teacher has no idea who you are, but quite the opposite. Also, the pirate bikes are awesome and allow you to get all over campus quickly even if you don't own your own bike.

Students at Southwestern get a lot of experience writing and thinking critically. This is why Southwestern alumni are typically very successful. It is a lot of work though.

I would tell myself that it is worth the extra effort to graduate in 3 years with a high GPA (which is what I did). Though I wish that I had taken a semester or summer to study aboard. The few trips that I have taken abroad have been very educational and widened my world view. I would also warn myself to do my due diligance in researching schools. I transferred schools after my first year of college because I was unhappy with the rigor of coursework at my original university, and I wish that I had not spent a year not getting the most out of my education. I would also tell myself to take more language classes to either become more fluent in the language I took or learn the fundamentals of another language. I avoided these classes because my high school language classes were not interesting. When I took a language in college, however, I found the classes very interesting and beneficial to my skill set. Though there are not many things that I would change about my college experience, I would advise my younger self to take these things into consideration.

Sometimes the workload can be overwhelming. Students also talk about cheating openly despite the honor code which is supposedly strictly enforced. I've never seen anyone get in trouble for cheating though.

Flerida

I have been attending my community college for almost 2 years. The experience that I have received here has been a very great experience. I work on campus so I am very involved in activities and in my study. I know various students who just go to class and go home right after class, but I believe that getting involved in different clubs will better a student's college experience. I conduct campus tours, make student identification cards, and inform students about the different clubs that my school offers so they can become involved and volunteer. Since I started working I became more concerned on keeping my GPA at a high level, making sure that I get to know and talk to my professors, and lastly became involved or volunteered somehow in my campus. I think becoming aware of everything that goes on improves a person as a student because you wouldnt just go to school and dread being there since it may seem unamusing. Becoming involved made my college experience in a community college more amusing to me and my education. I come to school with enthusiasm and dont dread waking up just to go to class or work.

Linda

I came to Southwestern knowing no one. Nobody from my high school class decided to come to Southwestern during the college selection process. After being here for a semester and a few weeks, I have gained friends where we support each other and have fun when we need it. The classes here are vigorous, but as a liberal arts school, I have been able to expand my horizons while focusing on my major at the same time. I have learned several life lessons and grown as an individual. I have developed independence, and gained an understanding about my parents. Even though I've been experiencing drama, I am learning how to work through the stress with the help of faculty and friends. When I look back to how I was one year ago, I have definitely seen a change in myself as a person and as a student. Southwestern is truly an experience and is a college that changes lives.

Before coming to this school, I wish I had known more about the lifestyle and what the classes were like at Southwestern. I never did an overnight stay, although I wish I did. I only did a short campus tour, but I still wish I knew more about the academics, programs, and organizations at Southwestern before I came here. I wouldn't be as lost as to what's going on in campus, and I would have been able to prepare myself for the rigorous academics at SU.

The worst thing about Southwestern is probably the seating area at commons. When lunch and dinner get really busy, there aren't many spaces to sit with your friends, and it kinda feels like you're in middle school or high school again. Sometimes the food isn't that great either and there wouldn't be many choices to pick from, but there are lines where you can make your own sandwich or something and you can at least get some food in your body.

As a freshman at Howard community college, this past year has definitely been an eye opening experience for me. I have grown not only in the intellectual sense, but as a person, as well. I have become more confident in who I am and what I believe, as entering the realm of college has a way of challeging your past beliefs and cementing your convictions. Embracing this new season of life has molded me into a more confident, outgoing person, ready to take on the world. Although I still don't know what I want to become, college has opened doors to a whole new world of possiblilties and I have been enjoying the exploration. I have had the opportunity to take several classes in fields I might be interested in, which has provided a glimpse of what would be in store for my future should I go in that direction of study. I believe that college has been a worthwhile experience so far, and this is just the beginning!

Southwestern University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.