Georgetown, TX
Southwestern University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Southwestern University

Madge

Challenging in terms of the amount and difficulty level of work, but still supportive of the students and enjoyable to attend...

Whatever you do in college, don't procrastinate. All it does is put a lot of stress on you at the end of everyday. Make sure to get enough sleep, for if you're tired in class, it just makes it harder to concentrate and get to work on homework when you get out. Always put school work before social life, at least to some degree, because if you spend too much time with your friends, you may have difficulty finishing your work later. Always remember that, no matter how long you think an assignment is probably going to take, it's probably going to take longer, so don't schedule your day thinking that you only have a couple hours of homework. On the weekends, make sure to at least get a start on your work on Friday. Also, use the writing center on campus. If you take any rough drafts for papers there, they will edit it for you. This can only do you good and doesn't take up much time. When you go, just take some other homework with you. Stay on top of things and don't allow yourself to fall behind.

Southwestern University has a beautiful campus, small and effective classes, and extremely helpful faculty and staff.

If I could go back in time I would tell myself that time management is the key to my success in college. Procrastination is no longer an option. I will need a small agenda for my first year, but I should expect that this agenda will need to grow in size after this first year. I should also expect to feel a sense of accomplishment every time I check something off of the agenda and a sense of relief knowing that I can continue to be an active member in my sorority and campus organizations because I have gotten better at managing my time. I would also remind my younger self to enjoy senior year and being a teen because being a sophomore in college and no longer a teen is a scary thing. Thoughts about the real world start to slowly intrude into your mind, and you start wondering where your life is going, which is terrifying and exhilarating all at the same time. Lastly, I would let it slip that there will be a great support team of friends, professors, and employers there for me everyday, so to take one day at a time and remember to breathe.

The town where Southwestern is located is very small, so there is only one of everything, which makes the surrounding area seem very clustered. Being a small town also means that sometimes you need to drive into Austin if you want the traditional "night-life", so having a car on campus is a very good luxury.

Timothy

I would tell myself to keep up the hard work and BE RESPONSIBLE in everything you do. Don't allow complacency to set in and always give everything your best effort, no matter what you're doing. I would also tell myself to be more confident and not worry about the silly little things that have no impact on the big picture. Set goals for yourself and then have mini goals that help you attain the your main aspirations and don't ever give up on something just because it is difficult. Your four years in college determine a large part of the rest of your life and they are incredibly important so don't mess around and do everything to the best of your ability.

Someone who feels overwhelmed with the idea of going to a school with thousands and thousands of people would do wonderfully at Southwestern. Also, Southwestern better suits students who aren't good at teaching themselves the curriculum and are diligent in consulting their teachers for help. Southwestern is great for people who are outgoing and enjoy having strong relationships with friends instead of having tons of friends, but very few that they are actually close with.

The teachers at Southwestern are very personable and are always looking to help their students, whether it's right after class, meeting outside of class, or even through a phone call. It is not like a big school where the teacher has no idea who you are, but quite the opposite. Also, the pirate bikes are awesome and allow you to get all over campus quickly even if you don't own your own bike.

Students at Southwestern get a lot of experience writing and thinking critically. This is why Southwestern alumni are typically very successful. It is a lot of work though.

I would tell myself that it is worth the extra effort to graduate in 3 years with a high GPA (which is what I did). Though I wish that I had taken a semester or summer to study aboard. The few trips that I have taken abroad have been very educational and widened my world view. I would also warn myself to do my due diligance in researching schools. I transferred schools after my first year of college because I was unhappy with the rigor of coursework at my original university, and I wish that I had not spent a year not getting the most out of my education. I would also tell myself to take more language classes to either become more fluent in the language I took or learn the fundamentals of another language. I avoided these classes because my high school language classes were not interesting. When I took a language in college, however, I found the classes very interesting and beneficial to my skill set. Though there are not many things that I would change about my college experience, I would advise my younger self to take these things into consideration.

Sometimes the workload can be overwhelming. Students also talk about cheating openly despite the honor code which is supposedly strictly enforced. I've never seen anyone get in trouble for cheating though.

Flerida

I have been attending my community college for almost 2 years. The experience that I have received here has been a very great experience. I work on campus so I am very involved in activities and in my study. I know various students who just go to class and go home right after class, but I believe that getting involved in different clubs will better a student's college experience. I conduct campus tours, make student identification cards, and inform students about the different clubs that my school offers so they can become involved and volunteer. Since I started working I became more concerned on keeping my GPA at a high level, making sure that I get to know and talk to my professors, and lastly became involved or volunteered somehow in my campus. I think becoming aware of everything that goes on improves a person as a student because you wouldnt just go to school and dread being there since it may seem unamusing. Becoming involved made my college experience in a community college more amusing to me and my education. I come to school with enthusiasm and dont dread waking up just to go to class or work.

Linda

I came to Southwestern knowing no one. Nobody from my high school class decided to come to Southwestern during the college selection process. After being here for a semester and a few weeks, I have gained friends where we support each other and have fun when we need it. The classes here are vigorous, but as a liberal arts school, I have been able to expand my horizons while focusing on my major at the same time. I have learned several life lessons and grown as an individual. I have developed independence, and gained an understanding about my parents. Even though I've been experiencing drama, I am learning how to work through the stress with the help of faculty and friends. When I look back to how I was one year ago, I have definitely seen a change in myself as a person and as a student. Southwestern is truly an experience and is a college that changes lives.

Before coming to this school, I wish I had known more about the lifestyle and what the classes were like at Southwestern. I never did an overnight stay, although I wish I did. I only did a short campus tour, but I still wish I knew more about the academics, programs, and organizations at Southwestern before I came here. I wouldn't be as lost as to what's going on in campus, and I would have been able to prepare myself for the rigorous academics at SU.

The worst thing about Southwestern is probably the seating area at commons. When lunch and dinner get really busy, there aren't many spaces to sit with your friends, and it kinda feels like you're in middle school or high school again. Sometimes the food isn't that great either and there wouldn't be many choices to pick from, but there are lines where you can make your own sandwich or something and you can at least get some food in your body.

As a freshman at Howard community college, this past year has definitely been an eye opening experience for me. I have grown not only in the intellectual sense, but as a person, as well. I have become more confident in who I am and what I believe, as entering the realm of college has a way of challeging your past beliefs and cementing your convictions. Embracing this new season of life has molded me into a more confident, outgoing person, ready to take on the world. Although I still don't know what I want to become, college has opened doors to a whole new world of possiblilties and I have been enjoying the exploration. I have had the opportunity to take several classes in fields I might be interested in, which has provided a glimpse of what would be in store for my future should I go in that direction of study. I believe that college has been a worthwhile experience so far, and this is just the beginning!

Katherine

My experience at Southwestern University transformed me from student to colleague. Professor interest and confidence in me, even as a first year, became my impetus to develop beyond the classroom and explore my role as a global citizen. Through outlets like the Paideia program – an honor program in which diverse cohorts of students meet for biweekly salons and collaborate on civic engagement and research projects – I was able to befriend students from nearly every department on campus. This allotted me a fuller, more complex understanding of my own subjects and my potential impacts on the world. With my curiosity sparked, I began an independent study which has since become my honor thesis and book project (to be published in 2012). The lively and intense academic environment of Southwestern also enabled me to assist in the direction of a Shakespearean play alongside a professor, spend a summer studying Comparative Ethnic Urbanisms in NYC, and present my own work at the Young Rhetoricians’ Conference in California. Southwestern helped me develop from a shy young woman into a strong public speaker, published author, and PhD-bound lifelong student. Southwestern's value, for me, is in how it has helped me better value myself.

I wish I'd better understood the AP/IB process of acquiring college credits in high school because there are so many facinating upper-level elective courses at SU that I didn't get to take simply because I ran out of semesters.

I brag predominantly about the professors and the Paideia program. The Paideia program is essentially an honor program where small cohorts of academically diverse students meet for biweekly salons, civic engagement projects, presentations, and research. The professors are brilliant; they are always willing to spend extra time with students and quickly become friends. I personally have had dinner with professors at their homes. I've played dodgeball with one professor and her kids, my friends have babysat for their professors, and I've even gone out to bars with professors before (in a 21-and-up group, of course).

Rebecca

Southwestern is highly liberal and humanistic. It does an excellent job of honing communication skills, writing skills, and your ability to think critically.

A college of Southwestern’s academic caliber provides less time for socializing and self-indulgence in lieu of academic study, but as a liberal arts university, Southwestern makes it a priority to invest in the varying interests of each student and provides an arena of rigorous academic study that also embraces artistic means of gaining and exercising intellect. Thus, I have gladly received professional instruction in music, photography, writing and other of my personal interests in my coursework. The highest emphasis may be placed on writing, however. However, while fiction is my forte and prime interest in composition, my Christian faith also pulls my interests toward ministerial writing; for example, allegorical novels illustrating biblical doctrine, and so forth. Southwestern has proven to be a breeding ground of educated individuals possessing the ability to expertly communicate ideas, both verbally and in written form. I have seriously grown in my ability to write while at Southwestern and this is a priceless gift in my opinion. In sum, I hope to be able to continue my education at Southwestern and further hone my various skills for use in the future. This scholarship would enable me to do just that.

I wish I'd known how to study, but by now I've learned. Don't worry too much, Southwestern will catch you up on writing skills and good study habits and things of that nature.

Meagan

Its small, very visually appealing, students are required to complete a research capstone before graduating, it is typical of classes to be less than 10 people, its in a small town thats far enough from Austin to not have bigger-city problems, but not too small, plenty of social activities that do not force students into binge drinking behaviors.

During my time at Southwestern, I was able to expand my research skills and present my research at two national conferences. In doing so, I feel better prepared for a graduate school program that focuses on research. Also, because the courses are so demanding, my study skills have improved. Although I (as many students at Southwestern do) spent a majority of my time studying, I was still able to be actively involved in the social scene on campus. Therefore, I feel I was able to find the perfect balance between having a social life and academically preparing for my future. Furthermore, the one-on-one opportunities that professors at Southwestern offer are unlike any other experience that I have heard about on other campuses. Professors know their students and become actively engaged in their life outside of the classroom. In doing so, I feel that professors have ben better able to write letters of recommendation for students seeking internships, employment, and graduate school acceptance.

A person who does not plan on depending on a lot of loans for their education, a liberal, upper middle class, white, top ten percent (at least), socialite individual who has big plans for success in life - these are the characteristics of a majority of SU students. Few other students outside of these haracteristics stay at Southwestern University for the entire 4 years.

Southwestern University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.