Georgetown, TX
Southwestern University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Southwestern University

Stephan

My classmates are intellectually hungry, creative people whose love for learning is only matched by their love of life itself...

I would adivsemyself to practice reading and writing as much as I could and then more. These two skills are the most important for producing successful work in your college studies. I would also tell myself to apply as early as possible for any scholarship that is even remotely applicable to me. The stress of adjusting to college is only compunded with the stress of financial insecurity.

A person who is not willing to question everything she or he believes. A person who finds reading boring. A person who accepts mediocrity and consistency. A person who thinks the world is fine the way it is. A person who prefers a large student population. A person who does not enjoy having a small classes.

Dyann

College life is fun and exciting, but that does not mean that there are not responsibilities like studying. I knew going to college that I would probably spend more time studying than I did in high school, but I still felt that I would be able to spend the week focused on school and have weekend to relax. My high school self should have been prepared to sacrifice some weekends which would have made my first year less of a shock. Some other key points for survival at any university include using online resources to purchase books at least three weeks before a semester starts. This sometimes includes emailing professors for book lists. Also purchasing school supplies for both semesters in August when everything is on sale will help reduce costs! Mainly, I would say try and meet as many new people as you possibly can because study groups go a long way.

goal focused and activity oriented

persons who do not like homework

Kathryn

A community of diverse individuals who care about their future and their impact in the world.

College is a completely different world. It is like having a double life, one back at home and another on campus. I would tell myself to create my second life exactly how I want it. It is a fresh start surrounded by people going through the exact same thing you are. The transition is scary at first, extremely scary, but completely worth it. The advice I was given going into college is the same I would give to myself again, stay focused. That doesn't exclude the social focus, but you are in college for a reason, to grow into an adult you would be proud of. I would tell myself to "be the change you wish to see in others" and make a diiference. In college, you can be almost anyone you dream to be, so make it happen.

A person who is passionate about their future, and willing to work hard for it. Southwestern is ranked very high in its amount of work load, but the best part is that Everyone there is working just as hard. It is like a community and everyone looks out for each other. The possibilities are endless at Southwestern, so someone who is willing to take advantage of the resources should be the type of person to attend.

Georgia

Don't hesitate - jump into things more quickly, be bold. You're going to love college life and being away from home, so don't be so worried about it. Don't be afraid to get more involved right away, you'll handle the schoolwork much better than you thought. In the meanwhile, please look up scholarships and such. This should come as no surprise, but your family can't handle the loans very well and the idea of leaving your school is devastating. So keep on top of it, and start pestering your mom NOW to start helping. Save up money, but don't be afraid to use some of it to be yourself. Because college will really bring you into being yourself, and you will love it. Life is, and will be, good.

The workload is a double-edged sword - the amount and constancy of work can burn you out if you're not careful. Also, sports are not a big deal here. We have no football team, for example.

Someone who is very interested in academics, enjoys a tough workload and a lack of sleep, and is fine with being surrounded by very interesting people with diverse beliefs.

Sharon

My school offers small classes and professors who care more about giving us insight into the world and educational opportunities than their paychecks. I love Southwestern because the people really matter here. Students are given as much financial help possible to come or stay at this university, while other students are generous and willing to help newcomers understand the way the University works. Georgetown is also friendly, and is just small enough that they genuinely care about all of the students' welfare.

If I could, I would tell myself this: In its simplest form, Southwestern University helps us determine not only what we would like to do after graduation, but who we would like to be. University is a time of change and growth. It allows us to grow from children to adults, from dependence to independence, from questioning to understanding. Like the changing of the seasons, Southwestern University allows us to grow into the people we truly are. There are no rules on the clothes you can wear, the things you do between classes; the norms of everyday life as you once knew are all but erased. We shed these old ways of life little by little, one day at a time, our leaves fluttering to the ground as time passes, until finally we are left with nothing to hide ourselves. We are exposed to the elements, to grow stronger and in confidence in who we want to be. You?ll find that as the wind whisks away the leaves, the people and memories that keep you rooted become your remaining connections to the world as you once knew it and the defining factors of what will grow in its place.

The worst thing I could possibly think of at Southwestern is the lack of Conservative students on campus. This is a very liberal University, so sometimes I feel left out due to my beliefs.

Natalie

Visit all the colleges your are applying to, stay overnight talk to as many people as possible. Once you are there talk to your proffessors, go to class, get involved in at least one group, and do the assignments!!

Someone who will work hard, but who can also be involved in extra-curricular activities.

How much work I have and how awesome my friends thier are.

Jamie

The people who attend this school tend to be frendly and outgoing. There is a strong liberal tendency at this school however people of all diffrent beliefs and backgrouds feel free to discuss their diffrences and not judge others for having different feelings than their own.

When you are looking into a college that you want to go to, make sure you visit the campus and get a feel for the atmosphere and people that go there. While there talk to as many people as you can and even try to attend a class in your intended degree if possible. While in a class observe how interactive students are, if you plan on skipping class go to a large school and if you want one on one help go to a smaller school. While you are on campus talk to the department head for your intended major to insure that when you graduate you will be able to get into your intended field or grad school. If all of the information you gather seems to add up to the school for you, talk to financial aid. MAKE SURE YOU CAN AFFORD IT. Financial aid will help out a lot if you push and work every angle, but don't put yourself in a position to take out more loans than you can pay back when you graduate. College will be the best years of your life if you pick the right one.

The work load in really intence however the small classes that tend to range from 7 to 30 people (I once had a class in a large lecture hall with 12 kids) allows students to talk one on one with proffessors to master the material. In fact every prof I have had has schedualed and placed in their sylabus times that they are waiting in there office for students to come ask questions. One prof waited in the library for 2 hours after our class ever day waiting just incase someone needed help.

Do your research. Find what interests the student applying and use websites like the college board to find what suits you. Apply for lots of scholarhips. It helps if you know what you might want to major in but it's not necessary. Do college visits; how you "feel" on a campus is completely different when you're actually there as opossed to looking at it on paper or the internet.

The size and the lack of financial aid available for white middle class students

A person wanting to grow as a student and reach their full potential

Southwestern is a small, liberal arts college in a small town in Texas that provides a fairly good education for highly motivated students who really want to learn and are seeking to do something with their lives.

In order to find the right college, the student should visit as many colleges they are inerested in as possible. Try on different colleges. They each have a different vibe and atmosphere. I think visiting the college and talking to current students will really help in making the decision. Also, make sure the college has the major you think you are interested in. If you are interested in Engineering, you do not want to go to a college that does not offer that major. You will just have to end up transferring. To make the most of your college experience, the student must first do an analysis of themselves and think about what they want to get out their undergraduate career. I think it is a good idea to be a well-rounded student. Take advantage of all the opportunites around you-- get involved on campus, get to know your peers and your professors. Do not be afraid to challenge yourself to get out of your comfort zone. College goes by fast and you want to be sure you did more than just go to class, study and then graduate.

I think the best thing is the faculty and staff. The facutly and staff really helped me come out of my shell while in college and provided me with many opportunities I would not have received without their help. Even as an alum, they are still available to assist me and listen to me anytime I need.

Mariah

Outgoing, diverse in backgrounds, and enjoy learning.

Outgoing, diverse in backgrounds, and enjoy learning.

I would say do not be afraid; don't be afraid to leave your home, what you know, or your comfort zone. Just go for it and, trust me, you will not regret it. College is the most important time in your life and you get so much out of it, coming out a different person than you came in.

I can sing really well and I'm the most organized person in the world.

Southwestern University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.