Georgetown, TX
Southwestern University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Southwestern University

Maggie

An island of liberal acedemia in the midst of a conservative community within a short distance from the ecletic city of Austin, TX.

Find a school that seems to fit you and then search for schools similiar to that school. Once in school start immmediately to find a group interested in the same activities or ideas as you and begin to immerse yourself in campus life. This will make the transition easier.

Poeple who cannot balance rigorous academic coursework and an active social life.

College indeed flies by, although at times it may seem to be endless when you are overwhelmed with exams and papers. Enjoy your college experience and make the most of the opportunities that lie before you. I have met life-long friends and mentors that I know will continue to flourish throughout the remainder of my life. I discovered my passion for science and ways that I can give back to others in my own community. I found my voice and told others through my work in advocacy & education. I have no regrets and wish that I could rewind the clock and relive some of the greatest moments of my life on that beautiful campus in Georgetown, TX. Go Pirates!

Southwestern is comprised of an intimate community of life-long learners that value diversity, education, success, and most importantly discovering their place in the world.

Individuals that are not willing to work dilligently, whom are not focused nor concerned with the world around them should not attend Southwestern. One of the major strengths of the university is the way in which it is able to engage students to find their passions while becoming informed about the world in which they reside. We have a motto of being life-long learners; those that intend to stop discovering and unveiling their passions should look elsewhere.

Audrey

Visit all of the campuses you are interested in, talk to some of the students, and get an idea of how comfortable you could be there for 4 years. Making good friends and having an active social life will greatly increase your chances of finishing your degree.

The small size of my school was probably the best and worst thing about it. The small classes and easy access to professors made getting help on homework and class assignments easy. While the coursework was rigorous, it was dificult to get left behind with all one-on-one attention that was available. I also knew many of the students in my classes, which made it easy to find study partners. Also, Austin is close by which provided a nice outlet to meet new people.

Because our campus was so small, everyone knew everyone's business. Females far outnumbered males, making dating dificult to date on campus. Also, the food in the commons was awful and made me gassy and constipated - also making it dificult to date on campus. hahaha

Julia

I strongly recommend going to a university that offers small classes. The small classes that Southwestern had enabled students to have in depth discussions. The students were encouraged to ask questions to the class. The class would then discuss what the answer to the question may be with guidance from the professor. This type of learning environment is highly recommended versus lectured classes. After speaking with some friends from larger schools, they explained that some classes they would only show up for tests. Is this learning how to articulate your answers or memorize multiple choice? Real life is not multiple choice and some questions do not have one answer. Students need to learn and discuss their opinions instead of memorizing answers in their short term memory. I am a student and I do not know what my parents would suggest. If I had to guess, I would recommend for parents to visit their children often, annouced of course. College is a difficult transition time for students whether parents can see that or not. Thus, children need their parents to visit and show emotional support.

The small classes because you are able to have in depth discussions.

someone who wants to learn and not just receive a piece of paper.

Chaunay

Don't base the decision on money. I based mine off of where I felt the most comfortable and that worked out well for me. Think long and hard about where you want to go both for school and in life following. How will the schools you're looking at fit into that picture for your future? I really appreciate my parents letting me go to school so far away from home and I'm glad that I had the strength and courage to go there myself. It worked for me and helped me to persue other dreams since graduation.

Diana

We are all different, but our small and close-knit community is one of the best support nets I've had. A friend, fellow student at SU, recently died, and the outpouring of support and love was overwhelming. We are also each other's teachers.

I think the most important thing is to know what you want, which is difficult, because often it is hard to know. What helped me was visiting the campus and talking to staff, faculty, and students. I find faculty and students will be the most honest with you about their experience. Also, do your research. Know what you would be willing to live with, like a really small student body if you want small classes. Explore the surrounding areas and always ask a lot of questions!

The food. The meal plans are not very flexible, and because we are a really small school, we only have one cafeteria. The food is not very good at the cafeteria, and the only other dining option, the cafe, is pretty expensive. There are cheap and tasty food options off campus, though.

Brian

Southwestern is a small, intimate, academically challenging private liberal arts university with a beautifully historic campus near Austin, TX.

Many colleges can be the right one and it's primarily up to you to make the most of it. Prestige can be illusory. The best way to really judge the quality of a school is by looking close-up a its faculty. If you tour the college, ask to meet a professor. They should at least have time to say hi.

Without a doubt the faculty: though (and oftentimes because) they're not as outstandingly research-driven--and therefore not as outstandingly "well-known"--as many of their colleagues, they are surely some of the best educators in the nation. That is, on top of being incredibly intelligent and capable of communicating that intelligence, they are personable, caring, and supportive of their students' work. The price Southwestern pays in not pursuing research as a top goal is more than compensated for by the selfless and modest characters of its professors. Each day in the classroom with them is life-changing.

Molly

Be honest with yourself about what kind of college experience you're looking for. Do you want to personally know your professors? Do you want to sit in large lecture classes? Are you looking for a very competetive environment or would you prefer a school that has a really active social scene? If you can answer these questions you'll be able to really narrow which schools might be right for you. Also consider whether you want to go home a lot on the weekends-- this might determine how far from home you decide to go. Whatever you decide, realize that you can always transfer schools if you're unhappy with what you've initially chosen. But before you make any kind of decision to transfer make sure you're giving it your best shot. The first semester is inevitably hard and it will be an adjustment. Everyone is in the same boat though and most schools do their best to help you adapt to your new environment.

Southwestern is a very intimate environment. You will end up knowing just about everyone on campus even if you only pass them on your way to class. This is a very close group of students, professors and faculty. If you don't want to know everyone you go to school with, this is not the school for you.

Southwestern University is the best environment for students who want to work hard and play hard. Its close enough to Austin that if you want to party hard on the weekends you can go to clubs there or you can stay on campus and party at the fraternities, but Southwestern has plenty of people who aren't big drinkers or partiers. There are lots of movie nights, comedians, small concerts, guest speakers and lecturers and fine arts events on campus that you don't need to worry about your social life here. Just be ready to study hard regardless.

Eva

To parents and students looking for advice on finding the right match and making the most of the entire college experience, I would say: research until your eyes roll into the back of your head, ask questions until people are sick of it, and visit as many campuses as possible. Don't hesitate to go to school far away from home- I often think that I would have been much happier had I left Texas and gone somewhere more liberal and diverse. Students- make note of what you are looking for in a school, what you hope to get out of it, the kind of milieu that gives you that warm, fuzzy feeling. Then pick the school you feel best represents that. Heck, go with your gut and take some chances.

Anyone who really likes to party and doesn't care alot about learning and isn't passionate about what they're studying.

Southwestern University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.