Spokane, WA
Spokane Community College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Spokane Community College

I am very impressed at the quality of Staff here Spokane Community College. Returning to school as a fifty year old adult has been less daunting purely due to the support and guidance of oh, so many here on campus. Within weeks of beginning my first quarter I knew friendly faces and helpful hearts behind so many office doors and service counters. From the IT staff for our campus CTC link, to faculty (who is always my biggest cheerleader for success), the 24 hour librarian on the other end of the hotline, to the helpful staff of Student Services my experience been has been great! Even on exam day someone makes me smile!

Leah

As a returning student, I was pleasantly surprised at the academic rigor of the classes and feel it is equal to that found at a four-year college. The Software Development Program is excellent and I am getting valuable hands-on programming experience. The teachers are very knowledgeable and available outside of class for extra help and they are really excited about their program. If you can get past the not-so-attractive parking lot perimeter of the school, the inner campus is quite nice, with several nice spots for studying or relaxing and grabbing a snack between classes. The school is a good value for the money.

Joshua

Very awesome, not to many community colleges have a freaking pool!

Very awesome, not to many community colleges have a freaking pool!

Don't really socialize to much in college, they seem nice though.

Dear Joshua, DO NOT move out! Do not try to act like you can handle the world on your own at this time within your life. If you do your parents will then move into a situation where you can no longer move back in with them, and I'm telling you it is hard to be a full time student while trying to support yourself. Thank you for hearing my words. Continue being awesome.

Kenneth

My classmates are highly intelligent, motivated people that tolerate the stresses of being a student with a calm demeanor; I've made a few great friends from my participating in classroom activities.

I would tell my former self to make sure I allot enough time for myself as well as my school work. I'd tell myself not to be afraid of the social anxiety I may feel and that the best of times are ahead of me.

My school offers a wide range of courses and many of those can be taken online. Not only does that save on gas and travel time but it eliminates wasting paper and thus helping to conserve nature. My instructors are very helpful and are always available to answer any questions I may have. SCC also has a great campus that is filled with a diverse set of friendly people that are just trying to make it in life.

Alissa

If you’re like me, then you had more questions than answers when you started college. What am I doing? Am I doing this right? Where’s 27-1123A?! It’s all very unnerving. Now that I know better, it might be nice to save a few newbies from the fire. Setting an educational goal is the first major step. Some people know what that goal is from the get go, but, if you're like me, then you might need a little help. Most college councilors are full of information, and every single one of them wants you to succeed. You just have to have the courage to ask. Also, remember to take advantage of any learning opportunities that arise. My school offers free student success workshops that offer advice on career planning, time management, learning strategies, and other topics designed to give every student the tools to succeed. I wouldn't be the student I am today without them. Finally, the most important thing you can take with you to school is a good attitude. Blast crazy happy music on the way to school. Dance in your bathroom. Doodle your heart out. And remember: you’ve got this.

I wish I had known about the fantastic free student success workshops that SCC offers earlier in my college career. I really learned a lot about how to manage my time, stress, and nutritional aspects of my life, as well as some great learning strategies.

The most frusterating thing about my school would have to be the lack of social interaction between students. It's very easy to feel disconnected from other students here, and it's very rare that you'll meet someone that you'll still be friends with after the quarter is over.

Elisha

My classmates are wonderful! The majority of us group together and work together to better understand concepts they we may not all grasp. It is important to make friends in college. There will always be something that you missed or did not quite grasp and it is a great thing to have another person to count on in that situation, especially when your grade depends on it.

There are many things that I would bring up while in conversation with the high school me. A few important topics that I would bring up would probably be to not sweat the small things, do not procrastinate, and do not be afraid to ask for help. I believe that if I had used this knowledge in high school then my grades and my outlook would have been so much better. The little things in life always stress people out. I noticed that once little things pass, we never go back and think about it. If you try to recall something little that frustrated you a year ago then most likely you will not recall. Procrastination is a bad friend in school. I think that high school students are the worst. I would be really clear with the high school me on that topic. Asking for help can be a prideful thing for a high school student. I would tell the high school me that it would only better your communication skills and at the same time, you may receive a much better understanding on a subject as well as much higher grades.

I believe that my frustration can be related to many schools around the U.S. Many times, I find myself very frustrated with the offices inside the college. I think that some people are not meant to provide customer service. Often times I will be treated with a rude response. I believe there is a lack of compassion in some individuals, not all. Once again, I know that many schools can relate to this.

Tracy

Spokane Community College, specifically the Natural Resources Department, is a very close-knit group of students and faculty. Everyone works together and helps each other out.

If I could go back 20 years into the past and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself to enjoy the ride. I spent so much time immediately after graduation worrying about what I should be doing, what I would become, and how to get there, that I missed out on some of the good stuff. I don't know how many of my decisions I would change, because I like who I ultimately have become and I think all of my choices have made me who I am. I would try to impress upon myself, however, to appreciate what is happening in the moment instead of worrying about what might happen next.

The program I am in is very "hands-on." I am getting to use tools and learning techniques that I will actually use with my future employer. Classes are small and there is a lot of opportunity for one-on-one learning with instructors.

Vladimir

One thing that I would about my school/college life is go to college right away after I graduated from high school. However I have not done so, because of some life changes. Right after I graduated from high school, at 18 years of age, I got married than I had a baby. Of course I do not regret these life changes; however I wish I had taken the opportunity to go to college right away. Three years have already passed from the time I graduated and finally I am back to school. It's a decision I will never regret. It's a bit tough for me to get used to the idea of school, homework and tests. However, this is my second quarter at SCC, and I am doing pretty well. Therefore, if I would be able to go back in time I would attend college right after I graduated in 2006 and by now I would probably be a police officer, which is my future dream. I would say that it's much harder to study when you get older. However, I am glad I made the decision to go back to school on time.

A student who has time to study and do homework.

Some of the teachers are not cooperating with the students.

Deborah

Its culinary program. Our culinary department has won several competitions and their restaurant is highly rated and students and faculty alike eat from the bakery and restaurant regularly.

I would tell myself that college is not as scary as it's made out to be. Yes, moving out of your parents house is scary and it's hard to change so much in so little time, but it's worth it. College is made to make you think and become a better person. You'll experience things that nobody could ever teach you. Apply early and don't feel like you're being picked on if things don't go exactly as you had hoped; things go wrong for everyone! A soft heart goes a long way to getting to know people. Don't lose who you are, just be a little tougher version of yourself. Don't forget your old friends. Call your parents, they can help you with whatever you're going through. Don't think that fitting in makes you a better person.

The kind of person that expects a good parking spot whenever they choose to show up for class. The kind that isn't motivated to make it on their own. The kind of person that has been treated like a prince/ess their whole life. The artist types wouldn't enjoy this school; there are virtually no art programs.

Spokane Community College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.