Spokane Community College Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Spokane Community College

Evan

My opinion on Spokane Community College is great. I love my teachers, they keep me wanting to come back everyday and try a bit harder. Every one is very respectful and approachable, if anyone has an issue there is always someone nearby to help out. The teachers really care about their professionalism and it rubs off on all the students.

Alexander

Spokane community college is an amazing school for the trades. the professors and instructors are always available and will answer questions even if you aren't in their class. the classrooms are about 20-30 students which allows for help from the professors. the professors are also very knowledgeable about what they're teaching. overall I'd say Spokane community college is worth looking into and trying out even if you arent interested.

I am very impressed at the quality of Staff here Spokane Community College. Returning to school as a fifty year old adult has been less daunting purely due to the support and guidance of oh, so many here on campus. Within weeks of beginning my first quarter I knew friendly faces and helpful hearts behind so many office doors and service counters. From the IT staff for our campus CTC link, to faculty (who is always my biggest cheerleader for success), the 24 hour librarian on the other end of the hotline, to the helpful staff of Student Services my experience been has been great! Even on exam day someone makes me smile!

Gavin

I believe that the school is really good. it can be hard to do much outside of class due to this being a commuter campus.

Dawne

Great community college with all the resources you would expect from a college. I appreciate the amount of tutors in each department available to students. I have been a student for almost a year and I feel they offer a lot more resources to students than previous experience with college.

Alicia

I think Spokane Community College has done a fabulous job to bring an abundance of technical careers to our town! Class size is small and campus is small and accessible. They do a great job to make sure you are taken care of and have the skills to get into your desired program.

Shae

the community college is great. If you are there to get 2 years out of the way for cheap it is the way to go. There are not a lot of extracurricular activities. It is mainly for people that want to get their classes done and go home or people that do not have time to sit at school all day.

Leah

As a returning student, I was pleasantly surprised at the academic rigor of the classes and feel it is equal to that found at a four-year college. The Software Development Program is excellent and I am getting valuable hands-on programming experience. The teachers are very knowledgeable and available outside of class for extra help and they are really excited about their program. If you can get past the not-so-attractive parking lot perimeter of the school, the inner campus is quite nice, with several nice spots for studying or relaxing and grabbing a snack between classes. The school is a good value for the money.

sierra

Spokane Community College is very accessible for people like me who can't quite afford university. I am cutting the price of a full year of University in more than half here. While this college does not fully provide my major I can transfer knowing I was using my money in a wise way. The transfer councilors were so helpful in giving me the recourses I needed to transfer to apparel design in my university of choice. This college gives many people the opportunity to change their life. Single parents can be seen everywhere as they are trying to support their families. There is no age limit here as there are students who are 16 up to 60 years old that I have seen. I enjoy the campus a lot and I don't feel unsafe at all even though I am 19 year old female. The only real critique I would have for the college is their website application forms. They were difficult to navigate. The teachers here are like those at other schools. Some are lousy and some are clear cut in their expectations and some truly are there to support the student in front of them. My favorite teacher is a woman named Angelica Finney. She was a fantastic Intro to Communication teacher. I got up each morning to go to her class at 7:15am and her teaching and the environment she created made me feel like my lack of sleep was totally worth it. I left her class feeling like I really learned life skills which is amazing to me since I am fresh out of high school and my time felt wasted there. Over all my experience was fantastic I know I will miss the campus as well as some of the teachers there when I transfer.

Audren

My overall opinion of Spokane Community College is it's an accepting place of people from all walks of life. With many services and professors who treat everyone with respect and like to have fun. It's a place that encourages exploring all kinds of opinions on a variety of issues.

Amandad

Spokane Community College is what you would expect from a community college. It's not great, but it's not terrible either. You go to class, do the work, and get a grade. There are not very many extracurricular activities from my experience, and the social life is not great. I wouldn't go expecting to make a ton of friends... just go to get a degree. Last thing... the classes are really easy. I am still a senior in high school but have been coming here for 2 years and the classes here are way easier than high school- not a lot of homework for most classes. Attend here for an easy degree! (Note: I am here for a general degree. I have heard that once you get into specific degrees like nursing the classes get a little harder)

Audrey

I really enjoy attending classes here. The overall atmosphere is very welcoming and the staff is very supportive and helpful. The campus remains pretty clean and well maintained throughout the year. The teachers here are exceptional, and have many different teaching styles to better suit the individual student needs

Elaina

Spokane Community College is a wonderful place for those who are simply trying to figure out what it is they want to study or for those people who are trying to get their prerequisites out of the way so that they can attend a 4-year University. I would recommend attending SCC because it is a cheap way to either find yourself or prepare for University without sacrificing culture or experience.

Tobie

Spokane Community College is a good place to get your start. Most of the professors are engaged and really care about the students, while there are some that seem to be in it for just a paycheck, this is more an exception than the rule. You will get out what you put in at this school. The campus is undergoing renovation and growth too, which is a good sign.

Teresa

My overall opinion of Spokane Community College is that most people here are serious about getting an education and moving into a career. The average age of students here is 25 yrs old, so very few students are right out of high school. The instructors that I have been in contact with are all capable and they seem to care about helping the students get through their class successfully. The campus is not very appealing aesthetically, compared to the bigger colleges, but it is an industrial school, so most students are not looking for ivy league surroundings. The school provides an adequate education for people looking to enter the work force in most trades.

Nicolle

Spokane Community College is an outstanding school for prospective medical students. The Allied Health department offers many resources to help its students learn and succeed. It offers a wide range of programs such as nursing, diagnostic ultrasound, vascular and echocardiogrophy, dental assistance, surgical technology, and much more. My experience with the instructors has been amazing. Former or current medical professionals teach the courses. They offer students real life examples and help prepare them for their field of study. Spokane Community College is a great place to study and is much more affordable than traditional or private universities.

Laura

The criminal justice program was great. I learned a lot about what to expect in the field. The program was taught by retired law enforcement officers. There was a lot of hands on experience just like the Police Academy teaches. If it wasn't for the professors, I may still be finishing my degree for a 3rd year. They were there when we needed them, and were willing to put the extra mile to make sure we succeeded, even with the difficult students.

Katherine

I love Spokane Community College. I love the courses. I love the instructors. I love the counselors. I love the available resources they offer. I love the tutors. I also love the library. In comparison to another community college in California where I was enrolled, I hold the exact opposite opinion. I can honestly say I love this school . The only thing the California school had over Spokane Community College was the weather.

Samaa

I think it's overall a good school with good professors, staff, and students, but it sort of looks like a prison. I think there should be an update on how the buildings look. In addition, the classrooms sizes are perfect, not too many students and not too little. Overall. I am glad to be receiving an education from this school.

Robert

Working with fellow colleagues and the Automotive Machining Professor, Butch, was one of the most memorable 2 years of my life. The program was very well rounded and I gained so much knowledge from the years of experience Butch had to give as well as the life experiences the other students had shared. It was a real collaboration of teamwork, respect, learning, and fun. Without a doubt I would do it all over again if I could. Thanks to all those that were there during my tenure for the wonderful experience.

Morgan

My overall opinion of Spokane Community College is that I am lucky to have this resource in my small town area, but the school offers very limited opportunities. I am only attending a satellite campus so I really cannot tell you much about the actual Spokane location of Spokane Community College. I am a high school junior who is attending Spokane Community College through the Running Start program just to get my general Associate's degree to transfer to a 4-year University, so I really have no major per se, but I selected the major I plan to have at University. My campus has no on-campus housing that I know of, so the rating I gave is intended to reflect that, not that it is poor. My rating for off-campus housing would simply be a rating taking into account that i live at home with my parents. That I know of, my campus has no food except a few vending machines which I have not used. There are no sports except Pickle Ball that I know of and I don't participate. Walmart is the main source for everything in this town. The solitary school building is old and has a musty smell when you enter. My classes are all very very small. Most of my professors are never here in person, just come to class via TV screen transmitted to all the branch campuses. My professors who are in person seem to all have regular office hours and all my professors have seemed to know their subjects, enjoy teaching, and I have learned a lot from them. The main negative I have is that so many courses must be taken as fall start to get the prerequisites you need for subsequent levels of classes. If you miss that opportunity, you have to wait a year and sometimes 2 years before you'd get another chance to begin your program again at 'fall start.' Also, the school building is never open on weekends which gives zero opportunity to do any school work on campus wi-fi on weekends. Our local city library is also closed on weekends and our rural area has lousy satellite wi-fi in many rural homes. This is a major issue no one has ever addressed. You have to plan appropriately to take online tests by figuring out where and when you will get on good wi-fi.

Madison

I think they are a great resource to get back in to school. The teachers are willing to help if you ask the questions.

Kelsey

SCC is a great local option for students not looking to spend a fortune on an education. There are many technical programs available to students.

I have attended Spokane Community College for almost a year now. Although I have not been involved in any of the clubs or extracurricular activities I do find that the students and faculty are amazing people. Everything about the way the school is run is easy and seamless. The instructors truely care about the subjects they are teaching and are passionate about helping students to succeed in their academic careers.

Axzel

A great place to further your education, and start a new journey. If its an associates degree or if its a certificate your after, there's a place for you at SCC. There are so many options at SCC, and this really opens up more opportunities for students to succeed

Alora

SCC is a friendly open atmosphere that although it doesn't offer on campus housing is still a tight knit group. There is tons of extra curricular activities for whatever your fancy may be and tons of resources for any help you may need. There is a full building completely dedicated towards student awareness and making sure every student has what they need to succeed whether it by financial or emotional support.

Kevin

During my time in school I’ve had people tell me I’m never going to get a job, you’re just wasting your time, and the school doesn’t give you real job experience. Now I would say to these people a couple of different things. To start with, I would begin to tell them how higher education is not just about getting a high paying luxurious job. To explain further, College for me is about creating and achieving goals I have set for myself. This to me is a great skill to have, anyone can create a goal but it’s the follow-through that matters which translates to personal enrichment and healthy ambition. College also teaches critical thinking. You will be faced time and time again with adversity, learning to keep on the path you’ve set forth, planning, and trudging through allows for implemented critical thinking. A big one for most college students is social skills. Social skills are not just about being able to talk to another person but professionally presenting yourself. Many kids straight from high school lack professionalism and intercultural communications. This skill can help immensely in the workplace one day. Lastly, the most important aspect of higher education is networking. I’ve made many new relationships this is very critical to being successful in school and afterward. During breaks between classes studying with other students or helping someone else has heightened my understanding repeatedly. Furthermore, teachers have a plethora of information about possible jobs and internships after you have completed your degree. College will always be worth your time, in my opinion, no one can ever take away the perspective and personal growth I have obtained.

Nadiya

I am in the Spokane Community College online program (live in another state). Recently I came to find out one very odd dilemma. Every quarter, in my tuition, there is a bus pass fee charge. Having buses and passes is a great invention, and I agree this is an excellent option for students who have no other means to get to school and must ride buses. However, For us student's studying abroad, we are already paying higher fees (because we are considered non-residents and must accept the higher prices), and this useless fee is added into our tuition on top of everything else. This rule should be re-checked and changed for every student applying from out-of-state or out-of-country. I believe this is something every student who lives in the city, should and must contribute to as a resident of their community — not someone who is thousands of miles away. What I mean by that, we are providing to our communities here locally - at our local stations, making picnics, food drives, participating in our community events. That is what the local community is known for — helping our own. With this idea in mind, only locals should be obligated to pay for local services. After all, if a car problem occurs, students know that there is an option to catch that bus. We (online students) will never be able to use this option in a million years. Therefore, we should NOT be obligated to pay for that to your state. I am very disappointed about this "voted by student-body rule" that everyone has this fee automatically added into each quarter. I think Spokane Community College could have done better in "welcoming" out-of-state students into their programs.

Jaimee

Spokane community college is a great opportunity!!