Spring Arbor University Top Questions

I wish I had a better idea of what I wanted to do with my major. If I had looked further into the curriculum and thought more about whether it was good or not. For general terms it might be, but it could also be a personal fault for not checking. I would also have wanted to relook at the finances for the school, it`s pricy and to go for four years will be a challenge.

darold

i wish i knew that this school wasn't a HBCU

The one thing I wish I had been certain of previous to arriving at Spring Arbor University was what field of study I wanted to follow. I came in with somewhat recklessly and arrogantly. I basically had half my mind set on studying Physics for the sole reason that I was very talented at it. Nevertheless, I attained doubts after my first year and ended up changing my major multiple times. I am happy now to be majoring in both Global Studies and Spanish, but I still wish I had made up my mind previous to my sophomore year.

How attached I would be to it! I love it so mcuh and all of the people and it is hard to leave it even if it is just for the weekend becasue you miss all of the people.

Jenee

I actually knew a good amount before coming.

I wish I had known better how financial aid and loans work.

Nothing else.

Janette

I wish I had known about the minimal amount of jobs on campous and how much they pay everyone. It would have been nice to know how the food in the dining commons tasted and that they serve better food when people visit.

Bethanie

I wish I would have know how big the school was and certain unspoken rule and traditions that were done in certain departments. Also, how certain students will behave in the classrooms and certain disrespectul manners can get very frustrating. So learning abou these things would have been helpful in helping me to prepared for college. Yet also, learning or knowing that college is hard yet it is doable would have been a nice encouragement. I was expecting the worse and though it can get tough at times, its doable with hard work and dedication.

I wish I would have known the little availability of work. Spring Arbor is not a busy town whatsoever and there are only so many jobs on campus. Even then, you do not get a lot of hours to work, so it's hard to make money.

Margena

I wish I would have known how much I would be required to do on my own without direct supervisor finding me placements for internship placement.

Daisy

I wish I'd known that finding a job on campus was more than a notion. Because of the size, jobs are far and few.

I wish I would have had just a little better understanding of how the "system" worked. Mostly just the little things - how/when to get a studnet I.D., how to get a parking permit, etc. I'm a transfer and commuting student, so I couldn't really attend freshman orientation.

Suzanne

That being far from home is okay because there is a lot of things that happen on the weekends.

Hillary

I wish that I had known how amazing the love and support of the on campus community is than I wouldn't have been so worried about this new step.

I wish I would have known more people before coming to this school. I only knew 1 person and I never saw this person after coming here, so it was a little weird trying to find people to hang out with because I was thinking I would hang out with this particular person a lot, and I never did. It's better now, I have a wonderful group of friends on this campus!

I wish I would have known more about scholarship opportunities that Spring Arbor University provides. I applied fairly late during my senior year of high school, so I missed out on applying for the full-rides or larger scholarships that the school has to offer, but I was still able to get a great academic scholarship anyway. Regardless of my financial situation, my education and experience at Spring Arbor University has been well worth the financial sacrifice. I have gained volumes of understanding and wisdom while attending this college that cannot be valued by a dollar.

A big regret I have is not working harder in high school to get better grades. Had I done that, I would qualify for better scholarships. I also regret not paying more attention to scholarship opportunities and doing the work that goes behind that.

Kristie

Becoming a student at Spring Arbor University was far easier than I thought it would be. I had a lot of anxiety over a lot of different things. I was helped so much. The staff at SAU answered every question I had with ease and introduced me to everything I needed to have on deck. I was and still am beside myself with joy due to how well I was and still am treated by the staff. If I had known this prior to applying, I would have applyed her a lot faster!

Jodie

I really don't feel as though there would be anything I didn't know when I started at this school. I made sure that I asked all of the questions I had before I began. I researched this school for a long time before deciding that it would be the write school for me to attend. They helped me plan things out and answered any questions that I had.

I wish I would have known how hard it was going to be, I feel like we are more prepared for the social than the educational. the work is really really hard, and I wish I would have prepared more.

I was well informed of what exactly I was getting my self into before comming to Spring Arbor University. The admissions staff kept me informed and awnsered all of my questions that I had about comming to school.

Patti

Before attending Carthage, I wish I had known how connected the students are here. I did not realize that the students are so intertwined together along with the numerous activities they offer here. Because of all of this involvement, I see it as a huge advantage of Carthage. The students here are kept busy and make new friendships quickly and frequently because of all the people they are in contact with. When I first visited Carthage, I did not see this connection between the students. I had not experienced it for myself but now I have, and I love it.

Colleen

I wish I had known more about the campus as a whole. I know most of the rules ahead of time, but I would have liked to been more knowledgable about the surrounding area, as well as which buildings held which offices.

I wish I would've known how important it was to effectively communicate with individuals on an upper echelon than myself that I could have shadowed, and taught me that there is nothing wrong with overachieving while in pursuit of my degree.

I wish I had been more aware of the ramifications of taking out so many loans. This school boasts that they provide you with enough aid, in scholarships and grants, to make their tuition rates competitive with other four year institutions. This may be true, but I am now almost finished with school and owe 34,000. I have friends who owe 60,000, and 80,000 respectively. The easy access and availability of loans is nice when you need them, but not so nice when you face the reality of paying them back.

How much I would enjoy my time there.

Tiffanie

I would have liked to learn about more scholarships available for the elementary education major.

It is hard to get a degree in 4 years. Plan on being at Spring Arbor for 4.5-6 years depending on the field that you may want to go into. And make sure you have money set aside so that you won't be under so much financial strain as a student.

I wish I'd known a bit more about the food provider. Sodexo is horrible and I personally know many people that have gotten food poisoning from their food, not to mention how bad it tastes. It's not worth the $4000 we pay for our meal plan.

Deanna

I don't think that there was anything that I was unprepared for. The staff did an excellent job preparing the incoming students as to what to expect. I went in understanding what the school was like and knowing that it was a good fit for me. I am very pleased with my decision.

I wish I would have known that majoring in theater was what I should be doing. I was undecided on my major when I was a freshman, and didn't get started with theater until I was a sophomore. Now as I am approaching my senior year, I wish I would have been in the theater on campus sooner. If I could do it again, I would have gone in as a theater major from the start.

Kendra

I wish I knew more about the different housing opportunities. I also wish I knew more about my major, like that if your major is specail education that only means you will be certfied to teach learning disabled. Thats is about all that I wish I knew before.

I wish I had known better how to handle the workload since it is about twice the homework as a community college. I spent a lot of time stressing over homework and feeling utterly overwhelmed. The only thing that helped was that I had understanding professors and supportive family and friends.

Coming into this school I wish I had known to be more involved in campus life from the get-go. Spring Arbor hosts many opporutnities that foster community and build friendships with diverse people, but oftentimes I chose to stay in my comfort zone. Though I don't regret that first year of college, being more socially active would have been a healthy and exciting way to spread my horizons and try new things.

Before attending this school, I wish I would had known to schedule more classes than I had orginally registered for. I am pushing on graduating on time and feel if I would have taken more general education classes in the begining , I wouldn't be in this situation.

Growing up in the same town as the university I attend, I was/am well aware of the negative reputation SAU has. This is a great school, however a negative vibe is often sent out to "outsiders" within the community. During my senior year of high school, community college or SAU seemed to be my only options. A semester in, I wish I would have known that I had other options to different schools if I had just looked around. SAU is good for some people, but not for me. I wish I had known that.

I wish I had known how much organization, preparedness and time management are key to succeeding in the college environment. It's very easy to enjoy having an unconventional schedule and to put tasks off until later, but the way to get the most out of your time is to get work done first and to use what's left for fun. By doing things this way, you end up with more free time, and with more nights and weekends to spend with your friends, plus you don't get caught with five things to do at the last minute.

Aimee

The cross cultural requirements.

Jacquelyn

Before I began coursework at Spring Arbor University I wish I had known I was not alone. Revisiting college after a decade long hiatus is nerve wrecking. Had I known that my peer group would have been made up of women, like myself, balancing families, work, and other obligations, I would not have been so anxious for so many months preceeding the first class. Had I known I would meet intelligent and hard working women with whom I would form friendships with, I would have enrolled a long time before.

I wish i had known that the world does not revolve around your future paycheck. I was in the wrong mindset as I embarked on my college career. I started with a career track that just did not fit my at all. I would tell my past self that when i was looking through all the different degrees I could aquire to not select the one that attracted the most dollar signs. Pick the degree that will land you inside a career that you love. Money does not and will never make you satisfied. Get a career with purpose.

I wish I had known how good it was.

Katelynne

I wish I would've had the oportunity to be more independent before I came here. It's hard to adjust to living without your family with you at all times. I like being Independent, but sometimes I wish they were still here. Also, I wish I wouldn't have been so worried about living on my own, finding friends and being able to do the work, because now I realize my worries were not needed.

I wish I would have known more about the NEW majors of study they were developing so I would not have left for a year to attend another school! When I came back my junior year, changes had been made in my field of study and now I feel I lost over a semester's worth of work/credits because of confusion within my major. The university needs to make guidelines for specific majors crystal clear so students can increase their confidence with the academic advising process.

I wish I would have known the limited offerings of many courses, especially in each different major. Many classes in the majors are only offered during certain semesters and certain years, so sometimes it is hard to fit everything into a four-year plan.

The financial aid offered in your Freshman year will significantly decrease as you advance into your Senior year. Spring Arbor is a very expensive school.

Kaleigh

I wish I would have known that the film equipment is not quite as up-to-date as it should be, though you still learn a lot about the process of filmmaking.

I wish I would have known that as an athelete, you don't receive financial aid through grants or other means. You are only allowed your scholarship and academic awards., which doesn't amount to as much as the financial aid that can be provided. Plus, our school is a small school, so not many receive a full ride. For instance, I played volleyball and the top amount that can be given to a player is $5,000, which is not much for a university that costs $26,000.

That this school is hard to pay for when you are doing it all by yourself and living on your own, meaning no parental help with anything!

Spring Arbor was able to do such a thorough job throughout the orientation process and incorporating academic inderstanding that I was unable to encounter anything I didn't expect. Besides trivial problems, I felt very prepared and knowledgable of my surroundings.