Mobile, AL
Spring Hill College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Spring Hill College

Shardena

Fun, Intelligent, Diverse

Fun, Intelligent, Diverse

If I was able to give myself advice now about college life and making the transition I would begin by saying get involved. When deciding a major if you are not sure of what path you truly want to take just begin by taking core classes because you might change your mind in the future. If you are struggling in a class do not be afraid to ask for help because you are only hurting yourself. The professors as well as the help centers are there to help assist you any way that they can. Arrive to class on time and sit within the first couple of rows this shows the professor that you are actively involved. Keep a planner or calendar with all of your assignments listed because this will help you be more organized. Find you a buddy in class who can hold you accountable and who you feel you can study with. Have a social life outside of college it is okay to have fun and enjoy life outside of school. Do not procrastinate because it will place you in a bind and you will not produce your best work. Also, don't forget about your health.

I brag about the class sizes. I explain to parents that their child would get more one on one with there professor compared to a larger school. I also explain the avaliabity of the professors to the students. They are willing to help you and offer other ways to help you outside of class and office hours such as the CAE.

nikisha

Some of them are nice and some feel they are to important to talk are help but their are some people who will do their best to help you

If i could go back to high school I would do much better, I would have took education more serious and focused on life. I would have talk with my couselors and had a open mind toward students loans and scholarships. I feel High School was fun but i made wrong choices toward life and college. I had a chance to finish school this time I would do better. I have applied for tons of scholarships just to finish school I pray my past want hunt me and allow my mistake to be a lesson and allow a better life.

The staff somw of them are really great, and they do their best to help you get through school.

While in high school as a senior, I had an amazing tutor that helped me with all of my classes during the week. If I could go back in time, I would remind myself that while I am in college, I need to understand that planning my time wisely according to my class schedule is very important. I would start bettering myself with this while in high school in order to prepare for college. Spring Hill College is an amazing college experience for all of their students. They do not ignore any students issues or complaints, and will help them for as long as they need assistance for. With this said, college life is very different from high school live. You may have one or two classes on specific days, while others you have more. In high school, I was able to take my time with each class, however now that I see my experience in college, it takes daily work in all of my courses to make it through each week. Staying organized is very important at any college. The teachers are there to help you, but you need to put in the time and the effort for yourself.

Spring Hill College was the first school that I looked at before attending college. I do not have any complaints about the campus or the environment. All of the faculty are respectful to all of the students, and if you need help, they are there for you.

My college is the perfect size for any students looking for a small but active campus where classes are not packed. The professors are amazing in engaging their students in the topics and discussions while during class. They will go above and beyond to help their students with assignments as well as study habits.

Tamara

The advice that I would give to myself would be to develop good study habits before I went to college. It is extremely important to learn information, not just memorize it. Being able to study effectively is very important in college because it helps you to eliminate unnecessary hours of stalling. It allows you to comprehend what you read instead of waste time by just simply reading it over and over.

This best thing about my school is its small class sizes. You really get to know your professors on a personal level, making it very comfortable to go to them for help and advice. The small class sizes also makes it easier to interact with your professors and other students during class.

I pretty much found out everything I needed to know about my school before enrolling.

Malcolm

Such a thought is purely theoretical but interesting nonetheless. I would definitely tell my "high school self" to STOP and THINK clearly. Specifically, I would implore [to myslef] the practice of a better, more focussed approach to understanding the importance of a future career and establishing a thourough or "clearer" mindset toward achieving that career. For instance, I would say, "Hey, Malcolm. 'Bruh' ya really gotta' start bucklin' down, and think about the fact that ya might have a high payin' top executive type of job one day, man!"; that is if it were possible to actually have a one-on-one, face-to-face encounter with the younger, less mature me. Another important concept I would highly stress to myself would be the constant engagement in anything athletically challenging/pleasing (i.e. running 3- 4 miles every day, playing basketball regularly, swimming every chance I can get, etc.). Lastly, and most important, I would encourage myself to explore the realm of medatation both consciously and unconsciously. The promotion of a healthier physical life obviously needs no explaination, but I believe the younger me would thank me for conveying the importance of encountering a more relaxed mind through meditative techniques.

I wish I was more aware of the process of paying for college. I most likely would have applied for a greater number of scholarships, or quite simply, have chosen another school. Being under the impression that "everything will be alright" or "this is a great place for you" or "we'll take care of you" is "fine and dandy"; however, the failure to fall through with the implementation of certain promises is once again misleading and can destroy or delay some future endeavors.

The rising rates of tuition and other related expenses is the worst thing about my school. This misleading tactic to procure student admission binds certain individuals by placing financial burdens upon them. The lack of more culturally diversed programs and a more diversed student body can possibly create ethnic and racial tensions between students also.

Nick

The best thing about SHC is the close-knit environemnt. I feel very comfortable on campus, as you develop a lot of relationships with both fellow students and faculty/staff members. Another great thing about SHC is that we let the motto, "Work hard, play hard" rule our lives. Yes, classes can be pretty difficult; however, we know how to have a great time--and we do! Oh ya, did I mention the school sits on an 18 hole golf course, and as a senior you can live on the 14th fairway? Another great thing about the school is its location. We are about 1 1/2 hour from New Orleans, 3 hours from LSU and Auburn, and about 3 1/2 hours from University of Alabama. Although we don't have a football team, a lot of people take a weekend road trip to one of those schools to experience the big campus football environment. It's easy to duplicate that experience, but it's really hard to duplicate the Spring Hill experience. Some people complain that the school is too small. They may have a point and that may be one thing I would change; however, I still had a blast with it being its current size of 1,300+ students. I like not just being a number. The town of Mobile is somewhat of a college town. Less than three miles away is the University of South Alabama, which is home to about 20,000 students. It's definitely not a big city atmosphere, but there are a lot of good places to eat, etc. In addition, SHC is less than an hour away from Gulf Shores. The nightlife can be pretty fun as well. Downtown has a strip of bars, clubs, and restaurants that goes about 4 blocks that gets pretty lively Thursday through Saturday night. At SHC, people from campus usually head down to the bars on Thursdays and then party on campus Friday and Saturday nights. Overall, Spring Hill College is a great value and you will get a great Jesuit education. In addition, you will experience the south, meet a lot of great people, and have a blast while doing it. I highly recommend the school.

There are all kinds of ways to get involved at SHC. There is greek life, and I was in a fraternity. It only comprises of about 30% of the student population so it won't make or break your experience. Athletic events are definitely improving in attendance, and people are beginning to care about them more and more as the teams gradually get better. We had our volleyball team go to nationals and our soccer team break the record for the most wins in a season. Our basketball teams are doing well right now as well. Games are usually really fun to go to if there are a lot of people there. Other than athletics, clubs and organizations such as student government offer plenty of ways to get involved and make a difference. SHC also offers an extensive service/immersion trip program to 5 different latin american countries over mardi gras break. I was able to partake on these trips and they were life changing. If I was awake at 2am on a tuesday, i would be kicking it with my buddies in the pod or apartment shooting the breeze. A lot of people tend to stay up like this and just chill. Sometimes, these are the best of times with your best friends. The party scene at SHC is fun. The main place to party is at the fairway apartments on campus. The good thing is, students have to live on campus all four years, which means parties stay on campus. People party in the pods and also go downtown for the $5 all you can drink or penny pitchers. The thursday bars are 18 and over. If partying is your thing, you will have a lot of fun, but if it is not, there are plenty of people here that you could find to hang out with and have just as much fun.

The student population consists of people from all over the South and Midwest. We do also have some students from the northeast. Only about 50% of the student population is Catholic so if you are not, you would fit in quite well. Students also come from various socio-economic backgrounds. Some are wealthy and some are not--it's a good mix and it really doesn't seem to matter. Everyone gets along for the most part. The great thing about the student population is that you get to know a lot of people over your four years. That means you are always going to know someone in the dining room, at a party, or in class. People for the most part are welcoming and everyone gets along.

Kenny

If I could go back in time in high school, I would tell myself to applied much early for scholorships and its possible for me to get in a great college. That I should have not be discourage that I can attend any college. I also can do anything as long as a gave all my best effort to achieve what I want for in my life. Also to tell myself working for a low wage and working outside was not really for me. I know deep down I have the brain skills, and other skills, that made me efficent in school to adapt quickly to anything that will be an obstical toward myself. If it where possible I would just try to apply much early as well I am more than capable to go to any college and give my very best, and if it shows people will look as if I am an achiver.

Alexis

They ensure that you get a good writing, and analytical experience.

They ensure that you get a good writing, and analytical experience.

The advice that I would give myself if I could go back in time would be - Question everything, and do not take anything for granted. - Be sure to have a full understanding of how credit hours are calculated, and follow to be on top to your game. - Be sure to take the required amount of courses each semester in order to meet the required hours for graduation. -Be sure to use your time wisely between reading, homework, and studying for tests.

That I understood my Degree Plan more fully, and how to to calculate hours to graduate.

Olivia

I have really come into myself at Spring Hill College. I have changed so much for the better since I have arrived. I have fallen in love and had my heart broken. I have laughed in a room full of my friends and cried in my dorm room all by myself. I have fallen down , gotten up, been knocked down, and have been picked up time and time again. I have been supported by a small and loving community and I have been challeged by my professors. I do not regret a single moment of my journey. I have been made more whole. I am confident that by the the time i graduate in 2014, there will be no obstacle that I can not overcome.

The best thing about Spring Hill College is the idea of cura personalis, or the care and development of the whole person. This is a distinctly Jesuit concept and it is the reason I chose SHC. When we become whole people, we can help complete others. We enter to learn and leave to serve.

Our school's worst aspect is the lack of campus wide wi-fi . It can be crippling to the quest for knowledge.

Spring Hill College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.