Mobile, AL
Spring Hill College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Spring Hill College

Kirstie

If I were a senior in high school I would tell myself to slow down and take everyday as a learning experience. Starting college at 17 was hard enough. Do not get too caught up in the social life. Yes, it is college and you want to make new friends, but excelling academically should be your number one priority. I started out with a major I was not sure about and it put me behind. Have an undecided major that way you can get the core requirements done first. It is a great solution to figure out what is best for you. After all, this will be your career after you graduate. Apart from deciding what you will be doing for the rest of your life you need to learn time management. In college, you have so much time on your hands. You get to pick your own schedule. Study during the day and make time for friends at night. It will save you stress. Lastly, get involved with something you enjoy. You need another outlet besides school. Joining my sorority let me become a confident woman, a great leader, and a loyal and fun friend.

The small school atmosphere and Classroom sizes are great. The professors are always willing to help. The students are very friendly and are always involved with clubs, fraternities/sororities, sports, organizations, and even group studies. I feel that Spring Hill College has helped me focus more on what is important--school, career, friends, etc. I also brag about how rigorous the classes are compared to other huge universities and how I am doing so well. Everyone is so friendly and welcoming. Every school has cliques or groups but Spring Hill kind of merges them all together.

There is not much to do on the weekends, but I always say it is what you make it. Of course, at any school you are going to get tired of doing the same things every weekend. Here, it is normal to just stay in watch a movie with your closest friends and goof off from time to time. The cafeteria food is not the best by far. Students are always complaining because we are under rennovation and the food is much less than excellent.

Adrian

Don't be so nervous. I know going off to college seems like a very scary ordeal, but I promise it's not as bad as you think. Don't try to do everything at the last minute. Be prepared and stay focused. Don't worry about missing your family. You won't fall out of touch with them. But make sure you don't go home too often or you'll still be too dependent on them and you won't be used to living on your own. You have to learn how to do things for your self. The most important thing is to just relax. After a week or so in school, you'll be so used to it, you'll think you've been doing it forever. Just be yourself and have fun. But stay focused on your school work also. These things should help you through the transition period.

I believe any one that wants to attend a nice sized school with a beautiful campus should attend Spring Hill College. There are people from all walks of life here, not just a specific type of person. Any one could come here and thoroughly enjoy themselves. The campus is a very friendly environment; like a family. People smile passing by just because they are that nice. So as I previously said, any one could attend this school and enjoy themselves.

I brag most about the small class sizes. My professors know my name and are able to help me one on one when I need extra help. Unlike a shcool with a large population, and classes with 100 students or more, at Spring Hill, my largest class has 30 students. I see this as a major advantage because here, we aren't just numbers. We are actual students that sometimes need extra help from a professor and can easily obtain it because there aren't too many students.

Alexandra

I know you imagined college naturally in the northeast, cold, full for protests and tofu, but though it?s not how you drew it, its master piece portrait on its own. Allow me to paint the picture. You choose the times you want your classes so you can afford to be nocturnal some nights like when you studied for those Art History tests. Don't worry about your grudges with Rebecca; when you leave home, settling your differences is a good-bye. Arriving to a new school full of new students and opportunities is a fresh start. Coming from all sorts of locations, your friends will enrich your perspective of your outlook on life. Chelsea, especially with her childlike personality, will introduce you again to the innocence and good nature you can still find in people. Hometown pride will come to existence. You're a girl from Miami and are original in lots of your colloquialisms and dance moves. You will get over the heart ache from junior year, and Amanda from back home is still your best friend. If you go in open minded, like you did, you are going to become who you were meant to be here.

If you are into being closed off to the outside. Before I arrived here I considered myself a gigantic introvert because I enjoyed being with myself very often, but because of the intimacy of the dorms and classes I have gently come out of my shell. If you are comfortably content with big masses and a fast pace lifestyle that is great! But then Spring Hill is not a suitable candidate for you. The South is a slow cooking comfort food kind of town; it could need a pass port to get to from a hustling and bustling city.

My college is special in its intimacy. They say second semester freshmen year one starts to get cabin fever from the small since but I have never been in a healthier environment. Here the meaning of southern hospitality is revealed to me clearly, friendship. Whether it is a hello to the sophomore who passes you everyday because you two have similar schedules or Ethel the cafeteria lady who is naturally good natured and ready to greet you. My small southern school gives me more than just a house of learning but a home with a family.

Patience

If I could travel back in time to a high school senior, I would tell myself to prepare for college earlier. I would try to get in the habit of reading all of my textbooks and comprehending every chapter and section. The main thing I would do make the college transition easier is practice writing papers and lab reports often. Each time you write, you increase your knowledge and vocabulary. Plus, the more writing a person does, the less stressed he/she will be once they get to college. College requires self-management and I would tell myself to get in the habit of saying no to friends when I know I have other work to do for school. I would also test myself more if I could go back in time. The more times you practice things, the better able you are to successfully handle those things. Lastly, I would tell myself not to get overwhelmed the first week of college. Sign up for only a couple of clubs and organizations. You can always join them later in the second semester. Wait and see how your course load effects your time before you commit yourself to things.

The best thing about my school is its small size. The lecture courses are small enough to have a relationship with the professor and students in the classroom. In small classes, I feel like I have more participation in the discussion. Also, with a smaller school, I can approach my teachers and feel like they know who I am when I come in their office.

The most frustrating thing about my school is the amount of core courses that are required in order to graduate. Since the core requirement is so large, I don't have time to take other courses that interest me. I would like to be able to spread my horizons and incorporate different courses into my college education.

Victoria

The first thing I would tell myself would be to remain focused. If you lose your focus at SHC its very unlikely you will succeed. I would certainly tell myself to participate in campus activities more. I know that if I had done that, I would have met many more people and established stronger connections with those I already knew. The people you meet in college aren't just there to hang out with you at a party. They are the people that can help get you through some very difficult and stressful situations. Most importantly I would tell myself to stop for a moment and enjoy it. I've been at SHC for 3 years (full time for about 1.5 of those years) and it is going by so fast and so much has happened. Its imperative that college not be rushed, but savored. Never again will you have the types of experiences that you get in college. Its unique and it changes you forever.

In a word: drama. Because SHC is a small school, rumors get around quickly. The students at SHC jokingly call it "Spring Hill High." While the upper-classmen typically do not participate in such nonsense, the underclassmen tend to be a little immature and perpetuate this "drama."

The most frustrating thing at this moment is all of the construction going on on campus. It is exciting though that next year we will have a beautiful new campus center.

Hunt

College is not just about studying or working all the time, having some down-time is good too.

Spring Hill College is an extremely friendly school that really seeks out to help it's students and help them feel part of the community. The facility and staff really make you feel like you are wanted there and not just another number.

The lack of really any research, the entire information technology department, and general computer facilities. Also, the low amount of extra activities. We have plenty of service-based clubs, but not much more than that.

Robert

They are friendly, industrious, fun-loving, and intelligent.

They are friendly, industrious, fun-loving, and intelligent.

The professors are very eager to connect with the students and spend time with students beyond the classroom requirements. They do not mind at all hanging out with the students or being a mentor.

First, be sure to know for certain what you want to major in when you get to college. Do not let money make you choose one major over another! Stick with what you enjoy, and let money take care of the rest. The reason I say this is because transferring is a rather unpleasant experience. It is much easier to go to the right school the first time than it is to transfer from the wrong school. Second, in addition to the official visit days that colleges present, visit the campus on non-official days. No school is perfect. However, the school will only present a "perfect" picture. Try and find students who live on campus who will let you stay with them for a few days unofficially. The unofficial visit will give you a more realistic vision of what campus life is really all about.

Jarisa

With evertythingI've learned and experienced in College I would love the opportunity to go back and re-do some things. In High School I just settled for Honor Roll and Basic Classes . If I had the chance I would have taken advantage of Every resource given to me, whetherit was extra ACT Prep Courses, AP classes, or just toturing to improve as a student. In my case High School didn't prepare me in the way I expecte for College. I wish I would have taken AP classes that could have lessen my current load of coursework and hours required. I would have taken more ACT Prep classes to prepare me for the ACT which wouuld have helped increase my score, giving me more chances at a Scholarship with more money. I would have also taken tutoring just to improve myself as astudent and my work in different areas.

The things that I consider to be cons can also be pros. Spring Hill is a small College which means that you know most of your peers because most students do reside on campus. The clasroom sizes are also smaller which builds a relationship between you and your professor, but the downside to this is that more is expected of you because of all of the resources. The cliche' college experience that most people think they're going to get at a University is not offered here at Spring Hill, due to its location and size.

I wouldn't say that only a ccertain type of person should attend this College. They're are many different people whochose to come here but I would recomend if you weren't a religious person you may feel uncomfortable because it is a Jesuit school. The faculty of staff will not make you feel out of place or as an outcast due to your religion.

Kelcee

College is a hard transition for most high school seniors. It's difficult to make your own decisions about your future when you're not even sure what your future might be. It's hard to leave friends and family that you've been around your entire life. It's tough to pick up your life and try to make it on your own, with limited help. Despite all of these hardships, however, I will stand by the fact that no person entering college is able to develop into their own individual person without these experiences. You become the person you are because of your experiences, and that life lesson is impossible to achieve any other way. This is why I believe if I were given the chance to give my "past self" advice, I would choose not to, for my own sake. Heading blindly into the world seems the best way to go; otherwise the mind is filled with grief and frustration. I don't want the knowledge of my "future self". I want the wisdom and good judgment of my past self.

I think the worst thing about Spring Hill is the communication between the administration and the students. This problem really inhibits the growth of the student body and keeps the administration in the dark about student needs. However, this problem made me become more involved. I am now an SGA senator for my class, so that I can help bridge the gap between students and administrators. In this way, Spring Hill has developed me into a more responsible person.

The kind of person who would like Spring Hill is someone that really wants to develop close relationships with their peers. Because Spring Hill is so small, it is very easy to get to know people very quickly. People who like to be challeneged academically should also attend Spring Hill. With the small class size and amazing professors, its very easy to get a lot of information here. A person who loves the beach would love Spring Hill because its only 45 min from the Gulf.

Spring Hill, as a Jesuit college, offers the spiritual community that other colleges often lack. Also, the small student body is great because it offers the small town feel, which really makes it able to become a second home to many of us. The student to teacher ratio offers a better environment for student/teacher relationships and bonds; students are never afraid to talk to their professors.

To start with, I would warn myself that going to a boarding school an hour away from home does not prepare you for college dorm life as much as you would like to think. Dorm life in high school and dorm life in college is completely different. Second, don?t fall into the trap of thinking that time between classes is free time. You will love college, but you will also spend the majority of your time working. Thirdly, don?t expect that doing well in high school means you will do as well in college. Getting a B in college might be the best you can do; stressing over straight-A?s only makes it worse. Fourthly, work harder on getting scholarships, because paying for college is harder than you think. And lastly, have fun. As clich? as it might sound, college isn?t all about studying and locking yourself in the library. Finding the right balance between school and friends will be hard but possible. And remember, the other students are just as clueless as you; college is about learning and developing together.

Jokingly, the one thing I wish I would have known is to bring more blankets, because the dorms are so cold. But, in all seriousness, I wish I had realized that six hours really is too far to see my family more than once or twice a semester. I have made the right kind of friends. My classes are going well. And, I even like all of my professors. The only downfall Spring Hill has is the distance from home.

Spring Hill College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.