Spring Hill College

« See more reviews of Spring Hill College

Such a thought is purely theoretical but interesting nonetheless. I would definitely tell my "high school self" to STOP and THINK clearly. Specifically, I would implore [to myslef] the practice of a better, more focussed approach to understanding the importance of a future career and establishing a thourough or "clearer" mindset toward achieving that career. For instance, I would say, "Hey, Malcolm. 'Bruh' ya really gotta' start bucklin' down, and think about the fact that ya might have a high payin' top executive type of job one day, man!"; that is if it were possible to actually have a one-on-one, face-to-face encounter with the younger, less mature me. Another important concept I would highly stress to myself would be the constant engagement in anything athletically challenging/pleasing (i.e. running 3- 4 miles every day, playing basketball regularly, swimming every chance I can get, etc.). Lastly, and most important, I would encourage myself to explore the realm of medatation both consciously and unconsciously. The promotion of a healthier physical life obviously needs no explaination, but I believe the younger me would thank me for conveying the importance of encountering a more relaxed mind through meditative techniques.

"Buy truth and do not sell it for love or money; buy Wisdom, buy Education, buy Insight" Proverbs 23:23 This passage has greatly motivated me to keep furthering my education. Through college experience I have learned to value the power of knowledge. Education is not only a tool to maintain a luxirious lifestyle or to make lots of money to live comfortably in the future. Its purpose is to serve and help others by offering a service to improve our society even slightly. We must understand that regardless of our culture differences, we all have the same needs. Attending college has been exponentially valuable becuase it has opened my eyes to details and untangible theories that are crucial for the improvement of humanity. For instace, as an art major I thought my talent was only a form of self -xpression. However, in my Art History II class i have learned that art speaks not only for an individual but for an entire population. It is what historians look at to see the responces people had towards positive or tragic events in their community. As my proffesor says "The more art a society produces the healthier that society is becoming."

College is the final lesson before you are thrust into the "real world". Most college students pursue academics, but they do not realize that its most important lesson lies in the discovery of yourself. Too many people in the world are lost because they do not know and love themselves for who they are. This is troubling, because if you do not know yourself, then you do not know how to be innately happy, and you will search for happiness in fleeting pleasures. In college, you will have the free time and the opportunities needed to develop yourself as a person. Take advantage of it. You will have fun and you will study; you will laugh and you will cry. You will be happy, diverted, frustrated, upset, excited, confused, worried, determined, elated, calm; you will experience every possible human emotion. You will not be satisfied with everything about your school, no matter where you go. Your experience in college, then, depends mostly upon your attitude. Look at every experience, good or bad, as an opportunity to mature in virtue. In the words of Mark Twain, do not let your schooling interfere with your education.

Coming from a small town, the transition to Spring Hill College was not extreme. Spring Hill is a small, close knit community, so it was not extremely difficult to adjust. However, there are many social changes that occur. It is important to have your priorities in line and your values in mind. Each and every day, you will be faced with decisions that can change your future. Whether it is showing up for class or driving drunk, you must make smart decisions. In high school, people are constantly looking out for you and holding you accountable. In college, you have to be responsible and take initiative to get your work done and make the right decisions. You?re on your own! It is also extremely important to get involved. Not only does getting involved teach you valuable social skills, but it also looks great on a resume. There are so many diverse people at college, and it is important to get involved and learn everything you can about different kinds of people and activities. So, my advice to someone going through the transition from high school to college is to get your priorities straight and get involved!

I believe the first advice that I would give myself is to mature by distinguishing between the high school experience as compared to the college experience. We leave high school with the notion that college life will have its similarities as well as its differences. That's true but we never put that mindset to action. We begin college taking high school along with us almost like when we take our suitcases to our dorm rooms. We never learn that high school was then and now we must transition into the college life. We take for granted that college life give us more advantages than high school. We learn how to be responsible for our well being whereas our parents was responsible for that. We walk around campus with a mature outward appearance without having the mentality to be mature. I want freshmen to understand that life really begins when you start college. They must realize that they have to take on a mature attitude inorder to adjust to college. As college students, no matter what age you are, we must come to a revelation that we are stepping into a new experiences greater than past experiences.

The advice I would have given myself is to always remember who I am at all times and, despite any setbacks present at that time, fight for my dreams even if it is uncertain of how those dreams will be achieved. I remember being in highschool was tough as I saw no possibility of achieving my life's goal of going to college; however, I never made the thought hamper my decision to be a motivated and dedicated student. I remained committed and deligent in my school work. I became active in my society and committed myself to my family and helping those in my community who has life far more difficult than I do. I learned to appreciate my life more and surrendered to God. I knew that eventually my prayers would be answered. If I could go back to my home country and advise highschool students, I would tell them to believe in themselves and to appreciate their parents, guardians and their families despite any situation being faced. College is an experience to earn a higher education but also to extend and teach your morals and values and to learn from and about different people and places.

Throughout my life, I have been someone who is fascinated with dreaming about the future. As a kid, and even into my high school years, I would think constantly about what college would have in store for my life. I pictured myself feeling like a grown up--having everything figured out and assuming that jobs associated with my major would seemingly fall into my lap upon graduation. But now, as I enter my junior year of college, I know now that those dreams of maturity and simplicity were the result of my naivety. Although I attend a small college located in my hometown, I have learned a lot about myself and others. College threw me out of my comfort zone, taught me to challenge everything I had ever been taught and forced me to learn and grow even when I did not want to. College is an irreplaceable experience that teaches lessons beyond the classroom. I now know that much to my dismay, being in college does not make you a grown up. Instead, it puts you one step closer in your journey toward self discovery. This fall, I will continue in this journey and will always continue to dream.

I know you imagined college naturally in the northeast, cold, full for protests and tofu, but though it?s not how you drew it, its master piece portrait on its own. Allow me to paint the picture. You choose the times you want your classes so you can afford to be nocturnal some nights like when you studied for those Art History tests. Don't worry about your grudges with Rebecca; when you leave home, settling your differences is a good-bye. Arriving to a new school full of new students and opportunities is a fresh start. Coming from all sorts of locations, your friends will enrich your perspective of your outlook on life. Chelsea, especially with her childlike personality, will introduce you again to the innocence and good nature you can still find in people. Hometown pride will come to existence. You're a girl from Miami and are original in lots of your colloquialisms and dance moves. You will get over the heart ache from junior year, and Amanda from back home is still your best friend. If you go in open minded, like you did, you are going to become who you were meant to be here.

College. Who would have ever thought I would end up in college? Well, I have made it through trials and tribulations. Here I go. Although you have dreams of going into the military, college is your resort. Give it a chance. In high school, things were handed to you; they flowed naturally. When entering college, you are entering a whole new level of school and life. You are now on your own with only you to tell you when to study, do homework, and the appropriate time to converse. The worst habit you can intake in college is procrastination. It will come back to haunt you. Do every assignment that is given to you shortly after it is given, Not nights or a night before the due date. If you are not doing well in a course, speak with your pofessor. Go to a tutor if you know of one. Do not apply yourself enough to get by. Do your best. Anything can approach life and cause unavoidable circumstances to occur. Prepare for the worst in college. Exams in college cause for a deeper level of thinking; prepare. Most importantly, practice time management. It is vital to success in college.

Hey You. go buy some sandles and sun glasses. leave most of your crap at home and bring the more essential living items. have microwave, minifridge and toaster oven, mini coffee maker. they'll come in handy when you have to midnight food cravings or have to stay up all night for school and need caffine to stay awake. Use the week nights for school not additional days to party. set up a workable desk area in your room. you cant go to the library for every assingment. accept it that the best political discussions involve you talking to a brick wall rather than most of the people you live with. WEAR Shower shoes. dont wait til you run out of underwear to do your laundry. walk around at night, its an awesome campus. take advantage of the resources in the library. they'll make your academic life a whole lot easier and less stressful. understand that the administration and athletic department don't have the same enthusiasm for starting a rugby club as you do. be ready to fill out loads of paper work if you want the rugby club to get any money from the student activities fund.