Laurinburg, NC
St Andrews University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend St Andrews University

Ariel

What I have gotten out of my college experience is the value of friendship as you learn more about the roommate that you didn't know at the beginning, the late-night cram sessions that you have with your teammates as you get ready for a big exam the next day, and the early morning workouts that you enjoy doing as it makes you have more life afterwards. I have not yet experienced this feeling, but as I imagine this is what it would be like. The valuable part of college is getting the education you need in order to be something in this society and learn about what you want to do with the rest of your life. Its a long process, but in the end it will be all the worth while.

A dedicated and motivated person in either athletics or academics should attend this school. St. Andrews is a very prestigious private college that only kids who have the work ethic to learn and absorb everything that is given to them. Also, they take advantage of the smaller school and having more one-on-time with the professors because the classes are extremely small.

I brag about the equestrian program that they have and that it is nationally ranked as being #2 in the country for their program. Also, I brag about the science labs because it is the size of a football field and there can be about 4 classes going on, but you can't hear what the other classes are talking about. Also, this is a wide-opened room without any walls and the classes are right beside eachother. I am extremely excited to attend and I brag about everything at St. Andrews.

Karen

My school is best known for its equine programs. They have about 150 horses and many opportunities to learn. The program offers competion oppertunities in Dressage, Western, and Hunt Seat. There is also a well know therapeutic riding program where students learn how to teach these lessons effectivly. There is also an Equine Business Management major offered, as well as, Therapeutic Horsemanship Major and amny other concentrations. We have a vet on staff who also teaches classes. The classes in this program are very hands on and students have an oppertunity to apply the information they learn in the classroom.

The main draw for a lot of students is the Equestrian Programs. About 3/4 of the student opulaton is involved in some way, from being an active participant to volunteering in the Therapeutic Riding program. It is also a very small school, with only about 700 students. The class sizes are always small, and teh professors will usually give out home or cell phone numbers so that students will be able to reach them whenever they have questions about the class work. I love this school becuase it is a very close knit community and you know almost everyone.

As a high school senior I was looking forward to leaving home and going away to college. I was also very stressed about being accepted to colleges and then making a decision on which one to attend. Looking back now I would tell myself to relax and not stress as much. Taking Advanced Placement classes in high school has also helped me be a better student in college. I would tell myself that even though the classes are hard and you have to spend a lot of time studying it will all be worth it when you get to college. Studying and riding horses took up so much of my time that a social life took a back seat in high school. If I could go back I would tell myself that school is important but to take more time for myself and to be better at balancing fun and school because once you get to college not having an active social life is not an option. I have learned that having a balanced life is the most fulfilling, and that would have been the best thing for me to change as a high school student.

Alex

If I could go back in time and tell myself something about college life, it would be to relax and not worry so much. In high school I was so focussed on grades that I scared myself into thinking college was going to be much harder than it actually is. Now that I am actually in college, I see that choosing the right school was critical. I am a straight A student here at school and I realize it isn't as hard as I thought it was going to be. I thought that I was going to need tutoring and extra help, but I realize that if I just focus and try my hardest, the professors will see it and take it into consideration. They don't need you to be a genius, they just want to see you trying and doing your best. Now that I know what to expect, I would most definitely tell myself to relax and not worry so much about failing and simply focus on doing my absolute best. In life, doing our best is really all we can do.

I love the dedication to the students and the small classes. You really get to know your professors and you can get help easily. This allows for better grades and more in depth knowledge of the subject/s taught. Also, the campus is very small and you don't get lost easily.

A person should attend this school if they enjoy hands on learning and one-on-one time with professors. If you know that you will need a lot of help with homework or in regular classes, you always have the opportunity to ask questions or talk to your professors after class. They always are available for consultation and they really care.

First I would figure out what you want to do. Then narrow the school down to what really matters to you and your education. What do you think you'll get out of this college or that college? Make personal campus tours and have a whole bunch of questions to ask. Talk one on one with the college counslors and students and see what they have to say. Get alot of infomation from the school and ask others about what they think about the school. To make the most of the college experiance, make friends, keep in touch with your old friends. Find activities to do around campus. Work hard in your classes and if you need help, ask for it, because the teachers arn't going to know if you need help or not if you dont ask. Get to know your professors and let them get to know you. They will be there every step of the way of your education even if they dont know you. Make sure you have a social life and dont be stuck inside all day doing homework/studying. Get out and have fun and enjoy college. It only happens once for some.

that its so small that noone knows who we are

Christine

While reputation and facilities of a school are important to many people they should not be the deciding factors. Identifing a college that is the right place to grow as a person requires more than just a quick tour. The student should spend a Friday and Saturday on campus so that the student can attend classes in their desired major. The best time to get an idea of the student body is to attend a meal or two with a current student and ask them about the various groups of students they see in the dinning hall and how they feel about interacting with them both inside and outside of the classroom. It would also be a wise idea to speak to some of the professors to see if you like their prospective on both the academic and social lives of students and future direction of the school. If the prospective student has trouble communicating with the school about setting up a tour, financial aid, campus life, or campus security it is a likely sign that when an issue arises in the future it will take serious effort on the student's part to take care of the problem.

I chose not to take a full tour of the campus and that may have played a factor in my decisions to attend the school. The majority of the dorms are in poor condition. I also with I would have known there wasn't an option to live off campus or get off the food plan. I'm sure I would have been told these things in a tour if I had even tthought to ask them.

This school is for individuals who need small class rooms and interaction with their peers and professors. Professors are always available for personal tutoring. There are lots of social events on campus; alcohol plays a big role in social life but there are many dry locations/dorms on campus for studying. If you are an athlete or equestrian this is the school for you! There is financial aid, but you're best off coming and keeping a high GPA. The school will work with you and your finances to make it happen if you really want to attend this school.

Christina

Each and every one of my classmates is an individual, and no word describes everyone.

First, think about what you want to get out of college. Do you want to study abroad? Do you want live in a certain part of the country? Do you want to participate in a particular sport or activity? Do you learn better in small classrooms? Would you like to live off campus? Use everything that is important to you to make your decision and do not settle. With thousands of colleges in America, there is a place for you. Once you get to college, do everything you wanted to do! As long as you keep academics a priority, don?t be afraid to try new things and take risks. Make sure these are your decisions. Don?t let anyone tell you what you do during your college years.

Everything we do here is hands on. After ample classroom instruction, I get to go out and practice what I learned. In my education classes, I do field observations and practice creating and teaching a lesson to the class. In my therapeutic horsemanship classes, I practiced teaching in labs, and now I?m teaching real riders with disabilities under the supervision of my professor. I?ve never learned so much so quickly, and I?ve never had more fun in class.

When you are looking for a college to go to, one of the most important things to consider is the size. Both small and large colleges have their advantages and disadvantages. Weigh these when you are making your decision. While large schools offer more diversity, smaller colleges can offer more one-on-one attention from professors. It is easier to take the time to figure out what you want before you decide on a college than it is to transfer later.

The small size of the college sometimes limits the diversity of classes.

Some students have bad attitudes about the size of the school.

Carrie

My school is best known for its Equestrian Riding Program & the Bagpipe Band. It's also known for the small class sizes, student to teacher ratio. It is also known for teachers having a genuine care for their students. It's also known for being very small and students have a hard time finding other things to do besides drink.

I would tell parents and students to choose the school that calls out to them. The ivy league schools may be nice and all, but is it what you really want? You're told to follow your dreams, whatever they may be, and that should include choosing a school. Visit as many prospective schools as you can. Talk to teachers, students, faculty, anyone that can give you a view on the school you're thinking about attending. As for college experience, it is what you make of it. As much as you may think you don't have the time to go out and meet new people, do new things, you really do. Being adventerous and open-minded while keeping up with your studies is the best way to maximize your college experience!

A person with the ability to live on a very small campus where everyone knows everyone. One that enjoys a laid-back lifestyle. Someone who is use to or would enjoy a small town and can find things to do to fill their time.

Holly

Going to college is a wonderful experience and a decision that should be considered carefully. As a student, you will probably spend three to five years at the school you choose with other people who have made a similar decision. When considering schools, be certain to look at class sizes and listen to what current students have to say about the faculty members. Having professors who really care about your education can make a huge difference in your success as a student. Set guidelines about what you will and will not do before starting college. It is easy to thoughtlessly compromise your values unless you first make a conscious decision not to. For example, the consumption of alcohol is very common, and underage drinking is not dealt with harshly by school adminstrators. It is up to you to decide how much your education is worth to you. It has been said that one night of heavy drinking can impair the ability to think abstractly for up to 30 days, and yet numerous students choose to drink irresponsibly. Contemplate what you want out of your education, and realize that what you are willing to put into it is just as important.

People who like to shop or who have extremely expensive taste. People who are not flexible.

St Andrews University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.