Laurinburg, NC

St Andrews University

« See more reviews of St Andrews University

Going to college is a wonderful experience and a decision that should be considered carefully. As a student, you will probably spend three to five years at the school you choose with other people who have made a similar decision. When considering schools, be certain to look at class sizes and listen to what current students have to say about the faculty members. Having professors who really care about your education can make a huge difference in your success as a student. Set guidelines about what you will and will not do before starting college. It is easy to thoughtlessly compromise your values unless you first make a conscious decision not to. For example, the consumption of alcohol is very common, and underage drinking is not dealt with harshly by school adminstrators. It is up to you to decide how much your education is worth to you. It has been said that one night of heavy drinking can impair the ability to think abstractly for up to 30 days, and yet numerous students choose to drink irresponsibly. Contemplate what you want out of your education, and realize that what you are willing to put into it is just as important.

Get ready to see a whole new world, and be prepared to experience a lifestyle that is extremely different without parental consent and constant advice. The life of a college student, at least a successful one, depends on being able to manage your time effectively. Meaning that you must be able to balance out school work with being social, remebering that you came to college not to make friends but to gain an education, even though it is almost guaranteed that you willl make new friends because of the length of time you will be spending with others. Take as diverse of a range of classes as possible to make sure that you get the most out of your education. Find out what you want to do, but also think of the practicality of your major, and consider if the job market you are opening yourself up to is growing or decreasing. Have fun. College represents some of the best times of your life. There will most likely not be another time in which you are given the opportunity to learn instead of having a job. However make school your job, and make your social life relaxing and involved.

While reputation and facilities of a school are important to many people they should not be the deciding factors. Identifing a college that is the right place to grow as a person requires more than just a quick tour. The student should spend a Friday and Saturday on campus so that the student can attend classes in their desired major. The best time to get an idea of the student body is to attend a meal or two with a current student and ask them about the various groups of students they see in the dinning hall and how they feel about interacting with them both inside and outside of the classroom. It would also be a wise idea to speak to some of the professors to see if you like their prospective on both the academic and social lives of students and future direction of the school. If the prospective student has trouble communicating with the school about setting up a tour, financial aid, campus life, or campus security it is a likely sign that when an issue arises in the future it will take serious effort on the student's part to take care of the problem.

First I would figure out what you want to do. Then narrow the school down to what really matters to you and your education. What do you think you'll get out of this college or that college? Make personal campus tours and have a whole bunch of questions to ask. Talk one on one with the college counslors and students and see what they have to say. Get alot of infomation from the school and ask others about what they think about the school. To make the most of the college experiance, make friends, keep in touch with your old friends. Find activities to do around campus. Work hard in your classes and if you need help, ask for it, because the teachers arn't going to know if you need help or not if you dont ask. Get to know your professors and let them get to know you. They will be there every step of the way of your education even if they dont know you. Make sure you have a social life and dont be stuck inside all day doing homework/studying. Get out and have fun and enjoy college. It only happens once for some.

Listen up, I know you have had a hard time lately with moving schools but everything will get better in time. You will be in college soon and let me tell you, it is going to be an awesome time but there are some things you need to know before you jump in. St. Andrews is a great place full of great people so don't be scared, show them your true colors and let your true self shine through. You and your roommate may have some problems along the way but let it go and everything will turn out for the best. You are going to make many new friends and get some great opportunities that you have never gotten before so be confidant in yourself. But, don't get too sidetracked, this is school afterall and you need to keep your grades up. Oh yeah, just one more thing, you are going to meet an amazing guy that is going to steal your heart and take you on adventures that you have never imagined before, so let your heart soar and show him the girl that you are on the inside because being yourself is all that matters.

Alright Kirsten, this is what you need to do so you are more prepared for college. You need to take a Spanish class instead of French, it will definitely help you out in the long run. Secondly, when Dad sends you all of those scholarship opportunities, fill more of them out, this way you can help out not just Mom and Dad but yourself when you wan to bring down your horse. Also, flash cards will be your best friend, start making them now. When you take Microeconomis your first semester MAKE FLASHCARDS! It will help you out in the long run I promise. Be prepared to have to try new things, making friends is always key. I promise though, you will find a few who are really close to you by the second semester. Be active, join more groups, and riding all summer is going to benefit you in the long run. C4 is something you really want to do, so do it. Don't be afraid of doing new things, it will help you figure out not just yourself but what you want to do. Oh, and like always study! Do that and you will be set.

In high school I was always set on becoming a Veterinarian. As I became older I changed my mind multiple times; so when I graduated I was unsure of where I wanted to go. I attended a community college for a year so I could find myself. Finally, when I visited St. Andrews University I knew it was where I wanted to be. I could pursue my love for horses and art; and be in a comfortable, diverse environment. If I could go back I would tell myself to explore more options rather than focusing on one decision . I don’t feel like I wasted any time at community college, but I wish I would have found St. Andrews earlier while I was in high school. I would also advise myself to become more prepared for college by saving money. Community college was a cheap fall back so I could save money for university. If I would have started saving earlier I could have started my journey earlier. I have no regrets and I believe that things happen for a reason. My choices over the years have walked me into an optimistic future.

Have you ever wish you can go back time and talk to your yourself as a high school senior? I do. I would go back in tell her to not worry and be free. Life will go as course if you just believe and be positive about life instead of always being negative. In you will have a wonderful fiance at age 21 who would buy you your first car; Your family would be a very big impact on your life. Its not only because you would work hard with five hours in between school and work, Its only because you would be the first in your family to graduate college and be extremely successful. College wouldn't be so scary and difficult at all if you stay focus and on track with your school work. Please stop being shy and make trustworthy friends who you can trust. Do you remember that Math class that you had nightmares about once you started college you will fail is really no big deal. Make sure you do all your homework and projects on time and don't forget to stay focus and wear your glasses because you will need them.

As a high school senior I was looking forward to leaving home and going away to college. I was also very stressed about being accepted to colleges and then making a decision on which one to attend. Looking back now I would tell myself to relax and not stress as much. Taking Advanced Placement classes in high school has also helped me be a better student in college. I would tell myself that even though the classes are hard and you have to spend a lot of time studying it will all be worth it when you get to college. Studying and riding horses took up so much of my time that a social life took a back seat in high school. If I could go back I would tell myself that school is important but to take more time for myself and to be better at balancing fun and school because once you get to college not having an active social life is not an option. I have learned that having a balanced life is the most fulfilling, and that would have been the best thing for me to change as a high school student.

To make the most of your college experience, you should always contact actual students attending the university because they might be more truthful than the faculty/staff. Another idea would be getting the school to let you stay for a weekend just to see if you would be comfortable with that environment. It's hard to figure a place out just by passing through it on foot or by car. If you can stay a weekend and you feel it's a good learning environment and you are comfortable, then try it. Durring the semester if you begin to feel uncomfortable you might want to stay off campus or transfer. Also, sitting in on some classes before you enroll to see how professors teach their course will help as well. I feel that a professor can either make you or break you. I learned that the hard way. Definitely find the college that you are most interested in and ask questions to students and find out important facts about the daily life and weekend life on campus.