St John’s University-New York Top Questions

Basketball is the dominating sport here, although soccer is a big deal too (the Men's team just won the Big East championship). Players are treated like stars on campus. Going to Madison Square Garden to watch them play is an amazing experience. Surprisingly, St. John's also has one of the best fencing teams in the nation. People settle down into their cliques once they've been established, so in the beginning of the year, take advantage and leave your door open. People will stop by and say hi. Talk to as many people as you can; you never know who could possibly become a great friend. As for the dating scene, speaking from a girl's perspective, it seems like most of the guys are out just to mess around, especially the freshmen. Dating for most doesn't start happening until sophomore year. The easiest places to meet people are at student organizations, in one of your classes, or at a party. Fraternities and sororities aren't huge on campus and you won't find them to match the crazy stereotypes that might be more fitting for other schools. They definitely know how to party though; it seems like they have a massive party going every weekend. House parties are much more common than drinking on campus (there are ways around the strict policies). There's always somewhere you can go if you want to drink. The campus is commonly dead during the weekends, so if you don't feel like partying, there's always the city, or the Queens area, which has some cool restaurants.

Aysha

The most popular student groups are the events committees. Concerts, Carnivals, and Sports are a huge deal at St. John's. The most students come out to support the annual traditions of St. John's such as the Winter Carnival and Lights Show, and even the weekly ones like the Fall Farmer's market. It brings the students together. What other schools rent horse and buggies for students to have free rides and unwind during finals week? Fraternities and Sororities often help with the school events and parties. Our school is also big on community service so many organizations on campus are devoting to getting out into the community to participate or going on plunges across the world (New Orleans, Panama, France, Philadelphia, etc) to give to those in need.

The most popular student activities, and the most involved students, are the Orientation leaders/ RA's, and student government. Beyond this, there is some Greek Life, though not much, and a smattering of other clubs, all with devoted but fairly small followings. St. John's is nearly half commuters, and as such, clubs and activities, as well as residence life on weekends, can seem dull. Of those who do dorm, as I did for the first two and a half years of attendance, only one freshman building has students who leave their doors open. In fact, my sophomore year my friends and I were constantly getting into trouble from the RA's and security guards because we left our doors cracked for each other. Most people make friends through activities rather than through residence buildings, and the most popular way to meet people is definitely partying, despite the fact that St. John's is a dry campus, and there is very little partying opportunities. The fraternities and sororities are not allowed to have formal Greek houses, there is no "greek row" and every frat party is busted before 1am. NYC bars are almost all 21, and despite what St. John's sells, the city is an hour away by public transportation, and really too much of a hassle to go into on a whim. Although not a great every-night-party option, Manhattan does have a lot to offer; the honors program and campus concierge both give away/sell discounted tickets to things like the Opera or Ballet at the Met, Broadway Plays, and Basketball, Baseball and Football games, while most museums are either discounted to students, or have free days or hours when many students can go. Although I met most of my friends through the local bar, I have kept in touch wit them doing things like seeing the nutcracker or going for sushi and bubble tea, and my fiancee proposed to me on top of Rockefeller Center when we went in to see the tree. Students go in for the St. Patrick's day parade every year - in varying degrees of drunkenness, and our very own basketball team plays all it's major games at Madison Square Garden.

Jaquon

The most popular groups at St. John's University are those that permit the most creativity and freedom of expression. There is something to do on campus every day, whether a fraternity or sorority is hosting a BBQ, or a sports team is hosting a sports event, or a student organization is hosting a spoken word event or a social discussion. There are always events going on everyday that cater to the needs of students. I am the President and Founder of the Food 4 Thought Poetry Club at St. John's University. In 2011 we hosted a Poetry Slam event that Mos Def performed at. The event had over 1,000 people in attendance. There were concerts at St. John's that Hip Hop artists such as Wale, Roscoe Dash and J.Cole performed at. There are also parties hosted by several organizations on and off campus monthly. Overall the University is very sociable and there is always something to do as long as the student wants to be active.

Devon

I met most of my initial close friends in my corridor style dorm, where most of the dorms are left open and you're usually friends with your neighbors, but it's still not for everyone. However a lot of the friends I've made since my Freshman year I met while studying abroad , in classes or as fellow tutors at the Writing Center where I work. What I'm trying to say here is that I think you make friends with the people you share things with, whether it be a club, a class or a dorm room. I'm willing to speculate that you solidify your bond by the first shot you share at some house party you're both at, but I don't believe that you meet TRUE friends strictly through drinking.related events. On the weekends I might attend a party with friends one night, but the other times that I'm not studying I'm either sharing dinner out in New York City with them or holed up in one of their dorm rooms/apartments dissecting movies and fighting over which horror flick sucks more. With that being said, most students often see many classmates/friends/mutual friends at events on campus that are related to our majors. We have several writers come in the speak within the English department, and these lectures are open to the campus as a whole, and I know that say, the business majors, have been a part of panels with business reps from around NYC, as well as the art majors get hooked up with fantastic artists to talk about their careers. I think these guest speaker events are too often ignored, but they are so abundant that if you miss the first three you're sure to catch the fourth. Incidentally, I think the dating scene can be found within any of these forums! That's where you meet the people you want to kiss!

Kumru

Because I was a commuter, I’m relatively unfamiliar with the dorm life at St. John’s. I also know little about sorority/fraternity life, athletic life, and popular groups on campus. As I’ve stated before, due to the diverse student groups and activities present on campus, it is hard to pick out the “most popular.” As a Graduate student, I spent most of my time involved in academic activities. I also spent nights/late mornings working on papers. However, I know many fun options were available on weekends, that didn’t involve partying or drinking. The Student Affair’s body sent out many e-mails alerting students to on campus lectures, theater events, film showings, religious celebrations, guest speakers, off campus trips (for example: visiting America’s Got Talent) and discount tickets for theater companies. I’ve personally attended lectures by Marlon James, Tiphanie Yanique, David Hwang, Greg Pak, Stephen Sicari, Rachael Brownstein, Tanya Agathocleous, and Karin Gosselink, to name a few. These lectures were extremely rewarding because I got to meet famous scholars, and they also gave me an opportunity to network and meet people I could seek out as advisors. The group I joined was the English Department’s academic blog; my Introduction to the Profession course participated in posting discussion questions about the academic material read online, corresponding to a particular week’s readings. I was fortunate to do this sort of blogging, in two of my online courses, as well (This is a great alternative to in class study, during Summer sessions!). These academic outlets also introduced me to some of my closest friends, for which I am grateful.

Vinny

I met my closest friends at St. John's in either my education classes by being randomly put into group work or, mostly, on my Discover the World experience where we lived together for 4 months. Off campus activities are endless as long as you're not lazy or totally broke. We are a 40 minute or so bus+train ride from Manhattan so take an adventure and have some fun with friends in the city.

Ajia

St. John's University has many different organizations to accommodate the diversity within in its student body. The most popular organizations on campus are the NAACP, Haraya Pan-African organization, Fashion Club, and the Italian Club. Among the private fraternity and sorority organizations the most popular of them are Kappa Alpha Psi, Alpha Phi Alpha, Omega Psi Phi, Delta Sigma Theta, Alpha Kappa Alpha, Zeta Phi Beta, Iota Phi Alpha, Lambda Theta Alpha, Kappa Phi Beta, and Lambda Upsilon Lambda. Fraternities and Sororities are important to some people for the right reasons and some people for all the wrong reasons. The most popular teams are the Men's soccer and the Men's Basketball team which have the largest turn out whenever there's a home game. I am involved with the Caribbean Students Association as a Committee Chair holder. We focus on topics pertaining to different topics occurring in the Caribbean islands. . Our motto is "divided by water, united by culture." The dorms are the living space for the students that live on campus if they so choose to. The residents sometimes leave their doors open if they are in the room because they feel comfortable with the door being open. Some residents leave the door open when they play music or when they are studying. People sometimes meet their boyfriends or girlfriends from a mutual friend, living in the same building, or having classes together. Every college student has a night when their up late. If I'm awake at 2am on a Tuesday night, it's probably because I can't sleep so I'll be watching Family Guy or the Office on Netflix. Every year before Winter Break, St. John's celebrates with the Winter Carnival, during the spring we have the Spring Fair which includes many rides that are found at local fairs as well as vendors. The Spring Fair is similar to the senior fair seen on the movie Grease. My last weekend on campus before the semester ended, I was studying and watching Saturday Night Live, The Office, and James Bond movies. Instead of staying in on a Saturday night, somethings students can do that doesn't involve drinking are going out to the city to see a play or musical, there are many beautiful restaurants around the city, some cheap others very expensive, and also ice skating at Rockefeller Center. Off campus I usually go out to Manhattan and visit the museums around the city. I usually go back to the same museums often because they change the exhibits very often. Some of the clothing stores are their own museums because during the different fashion seasons clothing stores change the entire layout and floor plan of the store.

Xuan (Ellen)

The most popular groups on campus are the cultural and social groups, such as the aforementioned NAACP and Haraya organizations and sororities and fraternities. However, some other prominent clubs are those geared towards intellectual development such as the Debate Society, or those promoting activism such as STAND or the Earth Club. The basketball team is the most popular sports club because it has enjoyed significant success in recent years. I’d like to describe an organization that I am co-Captain of: the St. John’s Mock Trial Team. The team is celebrating their 20th anniversary this year (2011-2012). Twenty years of promoting logical thinking, articulation of that thinking and organized presentation of arguments have benefited a countless number of students and has earned St. John’s University a national reputation for academic excellence. Out of the twenty years, St. John’s has earned a bid to the Nationals at least 17 times, and this year, the team is optimistic about earning yet another bid. All members cite invaluable lessons learned and an increase in self-confidence. All members foster close-knit friendships with their teammates and their extremely dedicated coaches. In the dorms, some students leave their doors open when there is a slight lull in academic demands in the middle of the semester immediately following midterms. Being that when the RAs are on duty, they leave the office door open, many students frequent the office to chat with the RAs. Athletic events are very popular. Often, tickets are sold out quickly and sporting events are packed with people, St. John’s students and supporters alike. Guest speakers are less popular, but widely advertised and supported by the department or organization they’re invited by. Most classes require the attendance of a few guest speakers’ presentations, so there is always a steady turnout. Theatre is very popular, as several shows are put on each semester for the students’ enjoyment. Performing Arts is a heavily funded department that is seen as an esteemed fraction of the St. John’s community. Unfortunately, I can’t speak extensively about the dating scene, for I’m not currently involved in it. But I can say that several of my friends have found their significant others at St. John’s University and being that there is every type of person here, there is sure to be a person out there for everyone. The campus is beautiful and scenic. Oftentimes, there are couples having a picnic or studying together on the Great Lawn, lounging at Starbucks in the D’Angelo Center or taking a stroll through campus and enjoying the elaborately-designed fountains. I met my closest friends through living on campus and getting involved in various organizations. My best friend Andrea was my roommate Freshman and Sophomore year (we still remain best friends though I’m now a Resident Assistant). Another good friend of mine, Katie, is my co-Chaplain and co-Librarian of the Voices of Victory Gospel Choir. Another good friend, Pete, is a fellow leader of the Mock Trial Team. I’ve known all of them for three years so far (since Freshman year) because I took advantage of all the opportunities afforded to me and I am now blessed to call them my best friends. I am also very close with all of the Resident Assistants in my building, DaSilva Hall. If I’m awake at 2am on a Tuesday, I am most likely finishing a paper after having helped lead a rigorous Mock Trial practice. Most likely, I am going to the bathroom every half an hour to splash water on my face. Sometimes, there will be a tentative knock on my door that indicates that a resident is feeling homesick or locked out of their room. There are many traditions and events that occur every year and are advertised throughout campus. The most prominent ones are the Student Activity Fair, the Greek Life Activity Fair, the Fall Harvest Fair, the Winter Carnival (featuring hired carolers, a horse-drawn carriage around the Great Lawn and a fireworks display), the Tunnel of Oppression (a large scale student-constructed display of all the ways people are oppressed), all the Black History Month events (the Gospel Choir’s busiest time of year), Relay for Life and University Service Day (when the largest group of St. John’s students gather for a day of organized service). On average, students party about 2-3 times a week. A certain population parties almost every day, but these students usually don’t last past their Freshman year. Most of the successful students party about once a week, if at all. Though fraternities and sororities make up less than 10{4a082faed443b016e84c6ea63012b481c58f64867aa2dc62fff66e22ad7dff6c} of the student body, they are some of the most active organizations on campus, especially in the area of service. They work closely with Campus Ministry to attend service trips both locally and abroad, and offer support for all university-sponsored events. There is little controversy with St. John’s Greek Life because the university is very strict when regulating fraternity/sorority conduct. Last weekend, on Saturday, I attended Mock Trial practice from 9am to 5pm. Afterwards, I studied for the LSATs with my study buddy from 7pm to 10pm. On Sunday, I tidied up my room and washed my steadily-building pile of dirty laundry and then went out for dinner with my mom and brother, who came to visit. That night, I went back to my dorm and prepared for another full-day practice the next day. Every weekend, including Saturday nights, there is usually some university-sponsored event or activity occurring on campus. For example, last Saturday night, there was a Midnight Breakfast at the dining fall that included dinner, massages courtesy of the Stressbusters, haircuts, and giveaways, all free. The University’s 24/7 Sober Campaign is dedicated to keeping students away from bars and local house parties. I usually go off-campus to the Barnes & Nobles located conveniently right next to campus. Or I’ll grab a bite to eat with a friend, go to the library or go to Jamaica Avenue to shop. Since there is a shuttle bus provided and public transportation is fairly easy to navigate, sometimes I’ll go to the city to the library, a Broadway Show (some tickets are free for Honors students) or out for a night on the town.

Xuan (Ellen)

What are the most popular groups/organizations/clubs/teams on campus? The most popular groups on campus are the cultural and social groups, such as the aforementioned NAACP and Haraya organizations or sororities and fraternities. However, some other prominent clubs are those geared towards intellectual development such as the Debate Society, or those promoting activism such as STAND or the Earth Club and the basketball team, which has enjoyed success in recent years. The St. John’s Mock Trial Team is celebrating their 20th anniversary this year (2011-2012). Twenty years of promoting logical thinking, articulation of that thinking and organized presentation of arguments has benefited a countless number of students and has earned St. John’s University a national reputation for academic excellence. Out of the twenty years, St. John’s has earned a bid to the Nationals at least 17 times, and this year, the team is optimistic about earning yet another bid. All members cite invaluable lessons learned and an increase in self-confidence. All members foster close-knit friendships with their teammates and their extremely dedicated coaches. In the dorms, some students leave their doors open when there is a slight lull in academic demands in the middle of the semester immediately following midterms. Being that when the RAs are on duty, they leave the office door open, many students frequent the office to chat with the RAs and open up about their experiences. Athletic events are very popular. Often, tickets are sold out quickly and sporting events are packed with people, St. John’s students and supporters alike. Guest speakers are less popular, but widely advertised and supported by the department or organization they’re invited by. Most classes require the attendance of a few guest speakers’ presentations, so there is always a steady turnout. Theatre is very popular, as several shows are put on each semester for the students’ enjoyment. Performing Arts is a heavily funded department that is seen as an esteemed fraction of the St. John’s community. Unfortunately, I can’t speak extensively about the dating scene, for I’m not currently involved in it. But I can say that several of my friends have found their significant others at St. John’s University and being that there is every type of person here, there is sure to be a person out there for everyone. The campus is beautiful and scenic. Oftentimes, there are couples having a picnic or studying together on the Great Lawn, lounging at Starbucks in the D’Angelo Center or taking a stroll through campus and enjoying the elaborately-designed fountains. I met my closest friends through living on campus and getting involved in various organizations. My best friend Andrea was my roommate Freshman and Sophomore year (we still remain best friends though I’m now a Resident Assistant). Another good friend of mine, Katie, is my co-Chaplain and co-Librarian of the Voices of Victory Gospel Choir. My other good friend, Pete, is a leader of the Mock Trial Team. I’ve known all of them for three years so far (since Freshman year) because I took advantage of all the opportunities afforded to me and now am blessed to call them my best friends. I am also very close with all of the Resident Assistants in our building, DaSilva Hall. If I’m awake at 2am on a Tuesday, I am finishing a paper after leading a rigorous Mock Trial practice with my two teams. Most likely, I am going to the bathroom every half an hour to splash water on my face. Sometimes, there will be a tentative knock on my door that indicates a resident feeling homesick or being locked out of their room. There are many traditions and events that occur every year and are advertised throughout campus. The most prominent ones are the Student Activity Fair, the Greek Life Activity Fair, the Fall Harvest Fair, the Winter Carnival (featuring hired carolers, a horse-drawn carriage around the Great Lawn and a fireworks display), the Tunnel of Oppression (a large scale student-constructed display of all the ways people are oppressed), all the Black History Month events (the Gospel Choir’s busiest time of year) and University Service Day (when the largest group of St. John’s students gather for a day of organized service). On average, students party about 2-3 times a week. A certain population parties almost every day, but they usually don’t last past their Freshman year. Most of the successful students party about once a week, if at all. Thought fraternities and sororities make up less than 10{4a082faed443b016e84c6ea63012b481c58f64867aa2dc62fff66e22ad7dff6c} of the student body, they are some of the most active organizations on campus, especially in the area of service. They work with Campus Ministry to attend service trips both locally and abroad, and offer support for all university-sponsored events. There is little controversy with St. John’s Greek Life because the university is very strict on conduct. Last weekend, on Saturday, I attended Mock Trial practice from 9am to 5pm. Afterwards, I studied for the LSATs with my study buddy from 7pm to 10pm. On Sunday, I tidied up my room and did my steadily-building pile of laundry and then went out for dinner with my mom and brother, who came to visit. That night, I went back to my dorm and prepared for another full-day practice the next day. Every weekend, including Saturday nights, there is usually some university-sponsored event or activity occurring on campus. For example, last Saturday night, there was a Midnight Breakfast at the dining fall that included dinner, massages courtesy of the Stressbusters, haircuts, and giveaways, all free. The University’s 24/7 Sober Campaign is dedicated to keeping students away from bars and local house parties. I usually go off-campus to the Barnes & Nobles located conveniently right next to campus. Or I’ll grab a bite to eat with a friend, go to the library or go to Jamaica Avenue to shop. Since there is a shuttle bus provided and public transportation is fairly easy to navigate, sometimes I’ll go to the city to the library, a Broadway Show (some tickets are free for Honors students) or for a night on the town.

Bailey

Sororities, fraternities, cultural and charitable organizations, and athletic organizations are probably the most talked-about student activities. Sororities and fraternities can always be seen fundraising all over campus; one thing I love about St. John's is that there's always a good chance of running into someone selling cupcakes, on any given day! The same people who bring us these cupcakes also provide a lot of the off-campus nightlife for students, hosting parties and other events. Cultural and charitable organizations, related to religion, social issues, etc. are also very popular; students at St. John's seem to be very aware of the world around them and interested in engaging that world. Finally, athletics are a popular diversion for many students on campus; while some are talented enough to be accepted onto varsity teams, others still find amusement in intramural activities and on-campus pick-up games. Sports are definitely a popular pass-time at St. John's.

Jaquon

The most popular groups at St. John's University are those that permit the most creativity and freedom of expression. There is something to do on campus every day, whether a fraternity or sorority is hosting a BBQ, or a sports team is hosting a sports event, or a student organization is hosting a spoken word event or a social discussion. There are always events going on everyday that cater to the needs of students. I am the President and Founder of the Food 4 Thought Poetry Club at St. John's University. In 2011 we hosted a Poetry Slam event that Mos Def performed at. The event had over 1,000 people in attendance. There were concerts at St. John's that Hip Hop artists such as Wale, Roscoe Dash, and J.Cole performed at. There are also parties hosted by several organizations on and off campus monthly. Overall the University is very sociable and there is always something to do as long as the student wants to be active.

Jaquon

The most popular groups at St. John's University are those which permit the most creativity and freedom of expression. There is something to do on campus every day, whether a fraternity or sorority is hosting a BBQ, or a sports team is hosting a sports event, or a student organization is hosting a spoken word event, or a social discussion. There are always events going on everyday that cater to the needs of students. I am the president and founder of the Food 4 Thought Poetry Club at St. John's University. In 2011 we hosted a Poetry Slam event that Mos Def performed at. The event had over 1,000 people in attendance. There were concerts at St. John's that Hip Hop artists such as Wale, Roscoe Dash, and J.Cole performed at. There are parties hosted by several organizations on and off campus monthly. Overall the University is very sociable and there is always something to do as long as the student wants to be active.

Jaquon

The most popular groups at St. John's University are those that permit the most creativity and freedom of expression. There is something to do on campus every day, whether a BBQ a fraternity or sorority is hosting, a sports event the STJ sports teams are hosting, a spoken word event, or a social discussion, there are always events going on everyday that cater to the needs of students. I am the president and founder of the Food 4 Thought Poetry Club at St. John's University. In 2011 we hosted a Poetry Slam event that Mos Def performed at. The event had over 1,000 people in attendance. There were concerts at St. John's that Hip Hop artists such as, Wale, Roscoe Dash, and J.Cole performed at. There are parties hosted by several organization on and off campus. Overall the University is very sociable and there is always something to do as long as the student wants to be active.

St. John's, while it is a school of 20,000 students in the middle of New York City, can feel like a very small school some days. The most popular activities really depend on the person because each student tends to live in his or her own little world - but there is certainly a world for everyone. To the Greeks, Greek life is everything and there are constantly mixers and bar parties to go to. For the Pep Band and those Johnnie fans of the Redzone, every single sporting event is what their lives revolve around. Basketball games are pretty exciting for everyone, though, and both the past coach, Lou Carneseca, and the current coach, Steve Lavin, are legends on campus. There is a fairly big Catholic community that are highly involved in a number of faith based programs. The Vincent and Louise House, the Midnight Runs, St. Vincent de Paul Society, Team RV, V.I.T.A.L. and many more all provide opportunities for a lot of community service. Despite the amount that the administration shoves service down our throats, there are a lot of students that love to give back and occupy a large portion of their time doing so. Student Government, Inc. is a big deal on campus but not nearly as big of a deal as they like to think. Anyone just looking for something to do usually finds themselves on a subway to the city to wander around, shop, go sight seeing, or go out to a bar. Whatever floats your boat can be found at St. John's - just don't be counting on everyone doing the same thing here and this massive sense of belonging that may be found out other schools with a huge Greek life or a football stadium that seats thousands of screaming fans. You must be okay with having your group of friends and being independent to get by at this school.

jennifer

The most popular activites and groups would be Greek life and cultural orgs. Many people also enjoy the St. John's sports, the winter carnivals, greek week, the bbqs etc.

On campus, there are over 200 student run clubs and organizations ranging from school spirit clubs to hacky-sack clubs to Greek life. I am personally involved in a Philosophy honors society club. We compete in ethics competitions, have pizza parties, and make year book journals. For the most part, students do not leave their doors open when they are not home, but if they are, some do leave their doors open. Athletic events are very popular. Our men's soccer team has the 4th largest attendance of Big East teams. We have sold out at Madison Square Garden for men's basketball. There are always guest speakers coming to campus, and the crowd is pretty decent. There are social media networks that are directed exclusively for St. John's that people can use to meet new friends. I met my closest friends through classes and in my dorm. Like most college students, I am usually up at 2am on a school night. I am either studying or in the city, or watching movies with friends. St. John's is rich in tradition. Every December is the winter carnival. There are horse and carriage rides, gingerbread house decorating contests, and even fireworks! In the spring is the spring fling carnival- a day complete with a ferris wheel, bumper cars, carnival games, food, and other rides. Like most colleges, people tend to party on Tuesday nights, Thursday nights and on the weekends. There are always different events going on-mostly off campus. Greek life makes up roughly 15{4a082faed443b016e84c6ea63012b481c58f64867aa2dc62fff66e22ad7dff6c} of the student body. It is definitely relevant, but if you are not in a frat or sorority, no one looks at you differently. Last weekend I worked and went to see the tree at Rockafeller Center with my roommates. If you are on campus on a Saturday night, you can head over to the Red Storm Diner- arguably one of the best late night eateries on campus. It is a great place to unwind with friends after a long week of school. Off campus there are so many things to do- after all it is NYC. You can go to a bar, go to Dunkin Donuts, the mall, go ice skating, see a comedy show, or watch a Rangers game.

There are a number of activities and groups here at Saint John's. From the different cultural groups, to the step team, Greek life, and so on, you are bound to be involved in something. I was involved in the gospel choir here at the school, which is called Voices of Victory. I loved it. There are many on campus parties thrown by different groups on campus. At the beginning of each semester, an African American group called Haraya throws a party called "The Jumpoff." There is also the Winter Carnival that we have every December, and the Spring Carnival which gives students a break so that they can take their mind off of exams for a while. Overall, there is always something going on on campus.

The most popular events on campus are the basketball games. It is quite literally the only place where one can see the entire student body. Other than that, the only reason people join student organizations is for the free food. There's about six different leadership programs that all do the same exact thing, and the rest are all completely based on ethnicity or nationality. The dorms are usually quiet, and residents are not overtly social. the doors are always closed, and no one is ever just out and about. Frats and sororities are a joke. They have no presence on campus, and the only reason anyone knows they exist is because of their greek lettered sweatshirts, and weekend keggers

Basketball is the dominating sport here, although soccer is a big deal too (the Men's team just won the Big East championship). Players are treated like stars on campus. Going to Madison Square Garden to watch them play is an amazing experience. Surprisingly, St. John's also has one of the best fencing teams in the nation. Some of the coolest things that happen on campus are the Winter Carnival, People settle down into their cliques once they've been established, so in the beginning of the year, take advantage and leave your door open. People will stop by and say hi. Talk to as many people as you can; you never know who could possibly become a great friend. As for the dating scene, speaking from a girl's perspective, it seems like most of the guys are out just to mess around, especially the freshmen. Dating for most doesn't start happening until sophomore year. The easiest places to meet people are at student organizations, in one of your classes, or at a party. Fraternities and sororities aren't huge on campus and you won't find them to match the crazy stereotypes that might be more fitting for other schools. They definitely know how to party though; it seems like they have a massive party going every weekend. House parties are much more common than drinking on campus (there are ways around the strict policies). There's always somewhere you can go if you want to drink. The campus is commonly dead during the weekends, so if you don't feel like partying, there's always the city, or the Queens area, which has some cool restaurants.

The most popular actives on campus would have to be Greek life. Although New York State does not allow Greek Houses there still seems to be a predominately active Greek Life. Most students even if they are actively studious are somehow involved in the Greek Life. Due to the fact that St. John's Staten Island is a smaller campus there is not as many activities going on through the year as the other larger campus, this allows students to interact with others year round and be involved with committees. This is perhaps the only dominate sense of activity in St.John's Staten Island. Although there is Theater and other activities, they are predominately less active and smaller. The next biggest group would have to be Honor Society, which holds many active members yet is not entirely social oriented.

Cara

Basketball is huge at St. John's, although I probably don't have to tell you that! Normally, the stadium is packed with students and alumni. Although I'm not much of a sports fanatic, I can definitely appreciate the school spirit which pulses during the games. There are a huge variety of activities, though, so if you're not interested in sports like me, you'll find your own place to fit in. For example, every week I attend a creative writing group where we discuss someone's story for about an hour. Between movies playing at the theater, play productions, carnivals, baking sales, sports games, and various types of clubs, there's always something to do at St. John's. Sororities and Fraternities aren't as big as they are at certain schools, but there are several on campus and there's a decent social life surrounding them. Weekends, you can visit the city, hang out with your friends in the dorms, go to the gym, go to a club, or whatever you feel like doing. Since St. John's is so close to the city, it's hard not to find something to do.

Teresa

The most popular activities at St. John's are "Greek Life", fitness, and community service.There are always guest speakers, community activities, and workshops. The dating scene usually occurs at the local bars or meeting people through activities. For instance, I met my boyfriend through Army ROTC.People generally party throughout the semester with two of the most popular fraternities .

One of the best activities that the school has to offer is sports games. SJU has very competitive athletics programs, and the student turnout at games is incredible. There is absolutely nothing better than storming the field after a clutch win by the football team. Granted, SJU is a DIII school, but I'm pretty positive that the passion and atmosphere at the games rivals many DI schools in all but size. Another great thing about SJU is how the dorms are used. In my experience, nearly everyone will keep their door open if they're in their room. This is an AWESOME way to get to know people Most of my best friends were met in the dorms, precisely because of this. There should be more than enough happening on campus, but if the campus life isn't doing enough for you on a given weekend, catch a ride to St. Cloud and hit up a movie or go bowling. St. Cloud is a relatively large city; you should be able to find something that suits your needs for the time.

St. John's social life if decent. There is not much partying on campus, but if you are looking yo party you can. It is more of an academic school. The students though are very friendly and for the most part dorm room doors are left open. I met my closest friends by living in the same dorm building as them.

clubs VERY IMPORTANT TO JOIN IF YOU ARE GOING TO APPLY FOR A MASTERS PROGRAM and greek life is big. i dont dorm so i dont know anything else

They're really big on supporting school sporting events

popular groups on campus are probably fraternities, and the legal society. jewish student association is a group im involved with, which i discussed in an earlier question. as far as i know, students do leave their doors open. athletic events are very popular, while guest speakers are mildly popular and theater events are moderately popular. the dating scene, im not aware of. i date a girl in another college. I met my closest friends in class. Talking to my girlfriend on the phone or studying or playing pool. Theres a fireworks thing for Christmas... People party often, especially in the summer. To many, frats & sororities are very important, but to me - not at all. Last weekend was spent with my family on saturday, my girlfriend saturday night (international womens day), and a broadway show on sunday travelling in the city (althought I normally work on sunday...)