St John’s University-New York Top Questions

What is the stereotype of students at your school? Is this stereotype accurate?

Jordan-Ivana

Alot of black ghetto people

Aysha

Because I attend a Catholic university, many students believe that unless they are Catholic they will not fit it! WRONG! My school is so diverse and has students from many religious backgrounds. I am constantly learning about different cultures, hearing about different experiences, and even parts of the world!

As a student entering my second year at St. John's University (Staten Island Campus,) I have anaylzed that the main stereotype of the University is mainly students who are local residents of Staten Island that do not want to go away for college. The stereotype is not one hundred percent accurate. There is a large majority of students who commute from other parts of New York and several states. Also a widely diverse number of students from other states and countries. The campus holds students from 38 different states and 148 foreign countries. By meeting students from other countries I have been fortunate to have the opportunity to learn new cultures and customs.

There are two main stereotypes about St. John's University; first, that it is a "stupid" school, and second, that it is a very diverse school. The first of these is unequivocally untrue; many students at St. John's University are exceptionally bright. The second is very true, people of all different backgrounds, cultures, and races come together at St. John's. With that being said,the degree to which any individual interacts with all the different cultures is entirely up to them.

Jaquon

One of the stereotypes I can speak on is fraternity life. As a member of Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity Inc., I deal with a lot of different students who believe that fraternities are preppie, stuck-up or negative. At St. John's University fraternities are very active with campus and student life. We host programs that engage students and raise social awareness while uplifting our community through service and fellowship. There are strict violations against any form of maltreatment when an aspirant is initiated into a fraternity at St. John's so students who are interested need not worry about any harmful activities upon seeking membership. The fraternities, from my experience, are extremely sociable and we do our best to positively influence young college students as they explore college life and come of age.

Devon

I don't know that there is one "stereotype" for students from St. John's; what I mean to say is that it's location in Jamaica, Queens - one of the most diverse counties in the country! - makes for a demographic like rainbow sprinkles. You literally have one of everything! Sure we have jocks, we have frat kids, the stoners and geeks, but I think what is so apparent to me about students at St. John's is that they are hardly one-dimensional like these titles would make them out to be. Culture is a huge part of the identity of St. John's and the wide range of cultural backgrounds in its students, be it educational, religious or regional, wholly presents this concept. The attempt to define a generic "stereotype" for St. John's would take weeks of sociological research, and even then, the stereotypes would become long and convoluted dictionary entries. In short and in truth, there is hardly a notion of "stereotypical" at this university.

Kumru

The two stereotypes that I associate with St. John’s students are that the campus is full of commuters, and that the student body is incredibly diverse. I believe these beliefs are true. The professors, like the students themselves, travel between varying campuses. The ability of the class body to take classes at differing locations (Queens, Manhattan, and Staten Island) is opportunistic (commute wise) and enriching- environment wise (city versus semi urban). The student body, at St. John’s, is also multifarious. Despite its Catholic affiliation, the campus has many cultural and religious clubs. Overall, St. John’s is incredibly heterogeneous and favored among locals.

St. John's is a school famous for its diversity and variety of cultures. Of course with that there comes stereotypes, but I feel like St. John's is a perfect representation of the real world because of this. Besides that, here at St. John's we of course have the super smarties, a lot of them pharmacy students. There are the typical frat boys who can be total tools but are super lovable anyways. I myself am an athlete here, and we come with our own stereotypes such as the idea that we get to coast through school scotch-free, etc but of course I'm byist with this stereotype as it isn't true. It is true that the athletes stick together though.

Rana

The stereotype of students at St. John's University is that the majority of students are commuters and there is not much offered to students if you are not involved in Greek Life. However, this is not the case at all. Though a good amount of students do commute since it is in the heart of the city, there are approximately 6000-7000 students that live on or off campus around the area. St. John's has a very active student life with over 180 organizations that can be joined and a variety of study abroad programs the university has to offer. It is all a matter of putting yourself out there to find out what best fits you and your interests.

It is assumed that because we are a metropolitan university with a massive commuter population we have no school spirit but that is not the case at all! St. John's University is on its way to becoming a symbol of New York City. With our Men's Basketball team rising in popularity there are games that sell out quite frequently, and who wouldn't want to see a game at Madison Square Garden? It just happens to be one of our greatest privileges. Every Fall we host "I <3 STJ", which is a week-long series of events that students flock to in order to display our pride and start the year off right. In the Spring we rally our teams and celebrate a successful year with a huge carnival of attractions. There is nothing not prideful in a St. John's student and we are the perfect example that you do not have to be a resident student in order to have a memorable college experience.

Vinny

To be honest, that isn't really something I pay attention to, nor do I think there is one common stereotype. St. John's is located in Queens, NYC and has a variety of different students who attend our campus. The majority of us are commuters, and with the commute coming from Queens (the most diverse county in America) and the rest of the NYC area it's a very diverse group. Saying that there is a stereotype would be inaccurate.

Sasha

One major stereotype is that all of the Indian and Asian students in my school are Pharmacy majors. Though most of the pharmacy students are of the Indian and Asian race, there are many of them who are other types of majors.

Every region and school has a stereotype that is associated with it. Nevertheless it is important to keep in mind that while everyone appears to be the same their life experiences have led them to be unique. St. John’s is centered in New York City and has alums who are quintessential New Yorkers. This entails fast talking, gruff students. Greek organizations can usually be categorized into the typical groups: Pokémon nerd guys, slut party girls, overtly sweet girls, creepy rapist dudes, stuck up girls etc. While our campuses have an intense Greek Life, there is also a huge non Greek community full of students in other organizations. Also it is important to keep in mind that there are sections of people in Greek life who are not boxed into these titles.

Xuan (Ellen)

The stereotypical St. John’s student is either a very intelligent six-year Pharmacy student or a dumb middle-class minority with their education paid for solely by government aid. While there are students that exemplify these stereotypes, the majority of St. John’s students span a wide array of majors and interests, originate from different states and countries, and all plan on changing their little part of the world from their individual facets. Members of the nationally-ranked Mock Trial Team and Debate Team are trained in rhetoric and the formulation of logical thought to take the political and legal world by storm. Students embracing the diversity afforded by a campus in the middle of the most racially diverse area of the world (Queens, NY) thrive in a wide array of cultural organizations. But most importantly, as supported by the Catholic-Vincentian mission of St. John’s, students go beyond the basic requirements of doing mandatory community service for class, and go on to positively impact the wider community. The extensive honor societies recognize those students that have achieved academic excellence, including the Honors Program, which offers more rigorous courses for those students seeking a challenge, the prestigious President's Society, and Skull and Circle, the Liberal Arts and Sciences Honor Society. There is no simple accurate description of a St. John’s student. But two characteristics that all St. John's students share are these: open-mindedness and versatility.

Xuan (Ellen)

The stereotypical St. John’s student is either a very intelligent six-year Pharmacy student or a dumb middle-class minority with their education paid for solely by government aid. While there are students that exemplify these stereotypes, the majority of St. John’s students span a wide array of majors and interests, originate from different states and countries, and all plan on changing their little part of the world from their individual facets. Members of the nationally-ranked Mock Trial Team and Debate Team are trained in rhetoric and the formulation of logical thought to take the political and legal world by storm. Students embracing the diversity afforded by a campus in the middle of the most racially diverse area of the world (Queens, NY) thrive in a wide array of cultural organizations. But most importantly, as supported by the Catholic-Vincentian mission of St. John’s, students go beyond the basic requirements of doing mandatory community service for class, and go on to positively impact the wider community. The extensive honor societies recognize those students that have achieved academic excellence, including the Honor Society, which offers more rigorous courses for those students seeking a challenge, the prestigious President's Society, and Skull and Circle, the Liberal Arts and Sciences Honor Society. There is no simple accurate description of a St. John’s student. But two characteristics that all St. John's students share are these: open-mindedness and versatility.

Xuan (Ellen)

The stereotypical St. John’s student is either a very intelligent six-year Pharmacy student or a dumb middle-class minority with their education paid for solely by government aid. While there are students that exemplify these stereotypes, the majority of St. John’s students span a wide array of majors and interests, originate from different states and countries, and all plan on changing their little part of the world from their individual facets. Members of the nationally-ranked Mock Trial Team and Debate Team are trained in rhetoric and the formulation of logical thought to take the political and legal world by storm. Students embracing the diversity afforded by a campus in the middle of the most racially diverse area of the world (Queens, NY) thrive in a wide array of cultural organizations. But most importantly, as supported by the Catholic-Vincentian mission of St. John’s, students go beyond the basic requirements of doing mandatory community service for class, and go on to positively impact the wider community. The extensive honor societies recognize those students that have achieved academic excellence, including Phi Eta Sigma, the Freshman Honor Society, the prestigious President's Society, and Skull and Circle, the Liberal Arts and Sciences Honor Society. There is no simple accurate description of a St. John’s student. But two characteristics that all St. John's students share are these: open-mindedness and versatility.

Xuan (Ellen)

The stereotypical St. John’s student is either a very intelligent six-year Pharmacy student or a middle-class minority with their education paid for solely by government aid. While there are students that exemplify these stereotypes, the majority of St. John’s students span a wide array of majors and interests, originate from different states and countries, and all plan on changing their little part of the world from their individual facets. Members of the nationally-ranked Mock Trial Team and Debate Team are trained in rhetoric and the formulation of logical thought to take the political and legal world by storm. Students embracing the diversity afforded by a campus in the middle of the most racially diverse area of the world (Queens, NY) thrive in a wide array of cultural organizations. But most importantly, as supported by the Catholic-Vincentian mission of St. John’s, students go beyond the basic requirements of doing mandatory community service for class, and go on to positively impact the wider community. There is no simple accurate description of a St. John’s student. But two characteristics that all St. John's students share are these: open-mindedness and versatility.

Jaquon

One of the stereotypes I can speak on is fraternity life. As a member of Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity Inc., I deal with a lot of different students who believe that fraternities are preppie, stuck-up or negative. At St. John's University fraternities are very active with campus activity and student life. We host programs that engage students and raise social awareness while uplifting our community through service and fellowship. There are strict violations against any form of maltreatment when an aspirant is initiated into a fraternity at St. John's so students who are interested need not worry about any harmful activities upon seeking membership. The fraternities, from my experience, are extremely sociable and we do our best to positively influence young college students as they explore college life and come of age.

Jaquon

Anket

One sterotype, because of the location, may be that a majority of the students have a very "ghetto" mentality and attitude. While there are more than a few students like that, there is a very diverse student body, and you will probably encounter students from all walks of life.

Sanya

I don't even know where to begin! St. John's is so diverse, students range from a variety of backgrounds, ethnicities, and come from many different places around the world, Literally! When walking around campus on a nice warm day at the beginning of the semester you get to see everyone! That's when all the students who live on campus and off campus, come out to show off their best outfits! The main stereotype at school are the fashionistas. They're not your ordinary fashionable students, these kids actually dedicate time and effort into their outfits and makeup. They come to school ready to walk down the runway, many of them already in heels :). Following our fashionistas we have a wide variety of Cali kids, so the styles vary from grunge, to skater, to even punk. My favorite are the lovable hippies at heart who have the big slouchy bags, and wear the long skirts, and have nose piercings. The most common stereotype at St. Johns are the Greeks. The Greek life here at St. John's is intense! You don't really notice it freshman year because you're new, and you're still getting a feel for everything but as soon as Sophmore year rolls in you start to notice all the students who walk around with some forms of letters on their bags, hoodies, and t-shirts. This school is overrun by Greek life. It's kind of hard not to get attracted towards Greek Life.

The stereotype, generally, for students at my school is that we have settled for a safety school because we are not intelligent enough to get into Ivy Leagues and other "prestigious" universities. I can speak personally and with great confidence that this stereotype is absolutely WRONG. St. John's students are extremely adept and intelligent, showing just as much determination and dedication to their studies as any other university. We are all very involved in extracurricular activities and are very sociable, not to mention we always have a great time, regardless of what we are doing! Safety school? Not on your life!

jennifer

My school is usually stereo typed with being full of snobby people but in reality there are just so many commuters that people who don't personally know them get the wrong impression of them because they are always on the move,

Anyesha

The stereotype most associated with my school is most definitely the jocks. I would say 82{4a082faed443b016e84c6ea63012b481c58f64867aa2dc62fff66e22ad7dff6c} of the student body are aspiring professional body builders. The atmosphere here screams testosterone, especially in the nicer months. In any given group of people, every third student you'll meet here is either an athlete or involved in athletics at some level, whether it's having a sports management major or working in athletics. In fact, I'm guilty of the latter myself. And if it isn't athleticism, the person is in the ROTC Army program. Every fourth person you'll meet here is in ROTC; they're easily spotted by their camo uniforms and the silent intimidation they exude. Interestingly enough, I'm guilty of having worked there at some point too. Last, but not least, if somehow you've managed to not fall into one of the former categories, then most likely, you are a part of Greek life. Every SECOND person you meet here is part of a sorority or frat. It's so prevalent on this campus that I can recite Greek letters faster than I can the Periodic Table. And yes, you've guessed it; I pledged a sorority as well. And if by some higher power, you've managed not to fit into any of the aforementioned groups, I'd bet $100 you hit the gym at least 3x a week. It's like everyone here was adopted by Richard Simmons as a child. The gym is more packed on any give Tuesday afternoon than Madison Square Garden during playoffs. Saint John's should change the brochure to say "...right in the heart of New Jock City!"

I wouldn't say that there are any stereotypes of the students at Saint John's University. Because we are in New York, there is a diversity of students which makes it so beautiful to be here because you don't have to try to fit into a stereotype, you can just be yourself.

The one thing that pops into conversation when St. John's is mentioned is our athletics. We have a very jock-ish image, and for a fairly large portion of the school this image is accurate. People really care about sports. But, this image obscures some of the intellectual components of our school which include a pharmacy program, a great English department, and a challenging set of core classes. This stereotype is true, but it does not highlight an academic component of our school which is also very prevalent.

Saint Johns University is one of the most diverse universities out there. There is a mixture of jocks, frat kids, intellectuals, sport enthusiasts, and so much more. What is unique about all these students is that it does not have that high school vibe. Even though someone may look like a jock they absolutely do not act like it. Everyone is accepted there are no exclusions. This is definitely one of the things that stood out to me the most and is a quality that not many universities have.

The stereotype is you're either a "ghetto" person who only cares about partying or a very religious, straight-laced goody-two-shoes. In reality, this is not true at all; there is a huge mix of people here. You'll find the partiers, the frat boys and sorority girls, the jocks, the studious (although there is a distinct lack of hipsters here)... A great thing about this school is that no matter what category you place yourself in, you'll find others like you.

The typical stereotype that my college is Guido's. I happen to attend one of St.John's University smaller campus located on Staten Island, which is full of a Italians. This is not your typical Italians that you find on the 'Jersey Shore' which are supposed to be depictions of the true nature of Jersey Italians. But they are the type of Guido's that makes you think of 'The Sopranos'. Most of them are substantially wealthy an have thick accents and a sense of entitlement that immediately make you think of this show.

Cara

In all honesty, St. John's was my back-up plan. I used to hear that St. John's wasn't a challenge and I wouldn't learn anything, but that's not true at all! I've learned so much, including how to write proper literary criticisms. St. John's is NOT an "Easy A" school; I have to work hard to maintain my GPA. St. John's is also known for its diversity, and it definitely lived up to that stereotype. Not only have I seen practically every race one this one campus, but I've met several international students both in my classes and at my on campus job.

Cara

Ajia

The stereotype of St. John's University is that our student body is composed of people with many different denominations, backgrounds, culture, and people from places all over the world. This stereotype of St. John's being known as a school of diversity is true because I've met people from Switzerland, Angola, Antigua, and many other placed that I would have never thought meet someone from that place unless I was to travel to that country.

Teresa

They come from poor areas and are looking for a free degree. This stereotype is not true, many students that I have worked with come from very diverse backgrounds, and work hard for the financial aid they receive.

Boris

St. Johns University has a large mixture of people. There are many intelligent people, street smart, jocks and frat kids and spoiled kids. I came from a very small school, upon entering St. Johns I learned that there are many different people in school then in my previous small high school. Which had a graduating class of 40 compared to thousands in St.Johns.

I went to Tottenville High School with a graduated class of about 1000 and 4000 students in the school in total and majority of the students were Caucasian. So the transition to Saint John's at the Staten Island Campus was very different. Now there is only 1000 students in the entire campus. Majority of the students who reside on campus are African American including my two roommates. I feel that the transition to college as helped me grow as a person.