Canton, NY
St Lawrence University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend St Lawrence University

Mack

St. Lawrence is a great school for people looking to work hard for the grades they want. It is not easy and the professors are not in it to let you slide by just because you are not putting effort in, with that being said, the professors are always open to talk and let you know what you can be doing better. Our athletics are not just the varsity sports, but there are a wide variety of club teams to join and a plethora of groups and organizations to join when you arrive! The food is pretty good compared to other schools, but remember to explore the rest of the options, not just the dining hall! Just make sure you remember your purpose is to get an education, not to drink and go crazy; however there are plenty of opportunities for that if you find the right group of people. Keep your head on your shoulders and remember to call mom and dad!

Louise

This is an excellent liberal arts university. With small class sizes and a close knit community, St. Lawrence only wishes the best for their students and hope to see them succeed after they graduate. While the winters are long there is no shortage of activities and the SLU community makes the most of the frozen tundra by taking advantage of the Adirondacks and other North Country adventures!

Heather

I love St. Lawrence University. When I originally made my decision to attend St. Lawrence I was a little skeptical, but the school has a great reputation and alumni connections. Attending SLU I have seen myself become the person I always wanted to be. I have made so many wonderful friends and met a lot of important alumni. I have felt challenged by my courses and feel like I have really learned something. The food is great and the overall sense of community really makes it feel like home.

campus is very homey, quite well kept, alumni are very supportive, proffessors are approachable

Knowing what I know now, I wouldn't really change anything. I am happy with where I have gotten and have learned alot about myself along the way at college. The way I handled the process of getting to college really worked out well. The key was listening to my parents, not my friends, about what colleges look for in a strong application, and what steps I needed to go through in order to get my foot in the door. It was very important to visit the schools I was interested in before applying, not only because they will wave the application fee, but because you can learn more from stepping onto the campus than merely reading their website. So, if I could go back in time and talk to myself, I would really say that I should keep listening to my parents, establish a good rapport with the person sending my transcripts, visit the campuses more than once if necessary, and try to have some fun with my senior year. After all, its not about where you attend its about which school is going to give you the best base to succeed in whatever life throws your way.

trying to get into specific classes

tonisha

College is going to be hard work. There is so much to do in so little time, but I must not get carried away. I must not become too involved because it will cause me stress. I know I love being involved, but I have to make my decisions wisely. I will set up a schedule of my classes to set my priorities straight. I will do my homework as soon as I can so that I will have time to enjoy myself on the weekends. But, even so, I will not have too much fun. I will not drink because I've seen what drinking does to people. I do not want to be involved with that. I will make sure I meet with my advisor at least once a week to make sure he is updated with my plans. That way I will know what to do next. If I have any questions, I will be sure to get answers in any way I can. I will vist the career services office to build my resume and prepare myself for life after college right away. I know I want to be successful and college is where it starts.

The worst thing about my school is the lack of diversity. There are students who come from other countries, but the majority of the students who attend are primarily caucasian. This is considered fairly normal for many colleges and universities, but I wish that the student body was more diverse. It would give the students who are rarely exposed to other cultures, the opportunity to engage in and interact with others, ultimately allowing them to learn from one another. Sometimes I hear cloes-minded statements from students in my school and wish that I could change that.

Students who attend St Lawrence University are very sociable, outgoing, helpful, and knowledgeable. Nearly one hundred percent of the students enjoy being involved in campus activities, clubs and organizations, and play at least one sport. Lauretians, as we are called, are not afraid to step into uncomfortable situations and transform it into one that is enjoyable to everyone. St Lawrence University is a campus near many outdoor wonders such as lakes, trails, and trees. A person should be interested in exploring the North Counrty.

Eryne

My classmates are young, enthusiastic, energetic, extroverts, generally from upper middle class families who enjoy having a good time, experiencing the brighter side of life, and pride themselves on being "cultured".

Remember who you are and where you come from. Your life experiences thus far are unique and valuable; you have something to offer the world. However, do not let the traditions and society from which you came limit the oportunities available to you in your future. There is a vast world awaiting your arrival. Society is transactional; you need to be able to give of yourself to the world around you, as well as accept new and exciting possibilities. Be a part of the world, make a difference, but do so without abandoning who you are. Know thy self, remain true, tolerate change, embrace differences, and seek understanding; only then will you succeed.

I wish I'd known the sense of family and unity that exists at this school and the expectation to fall within those guidelines. As someone who tends to float off by myself, unless I find myself extremely comfortable, this took some getting used to.

Natasha

One of the best things about St. Lawrence is the sense of community that we've established. I love the size of the school (2,300) and the town of Canton. There are a variety of activities both on and off campus! I spend time in the student center while on campus in addition to the athletic center and my dorm room. We have a great sense of pride here at St. Lawrence and I will always remember sporting events like our intense men's soccer games. I think one thing students complain about is how St. Lawrence can tend to form cliques at times.

I love St. Lawrence and I'm so glad I chose to come here. I have a great group of friends and I hope to meet more people during my time here. My one wish would be that we break down the cliques that are present here and continue to grow as a St. Lawrence community. I also wish students would be more respectful when they go downtown. Defacing Canton gives our student body a bad name.

We have tons of clubs and teams on campus. I am on the softball and track team, the Black Student Union, Orientation Leaders, and the Class Gift Giving Committee. Athletic events are extremely popular. Students usually leave their doors open. I met my closest friends through my FYP. People party on Thursdays and Saturdays usually. Frats and sororities are part of campus, but not overwhelming. Saturdays you can watch free movies in the student center, go to Pub 56, hang out with friends, go out to dinner, and more.

I have a wide variety of friends here at SLU. I live on the intercultural floor and I am a member of numerous clubs. Students dress both casual and dressed up. We have a variety of students including athletes, international students, scholars, etc. just to name a few groups. Socioeconomics vary, but over 75% of students receive some sort of financial aid. 10% of our students are diverse and almost all 50 states are represented.

Here at St. Lawrence I have had a great academic experience. My professors all know my names and they are always willing to meet with me. Class participation occurs constantly and students are very competitive within classes. Discussions take place out of class and I think the academic requirements are challenging but effective. My favorite class thus far was my FYP, "Having an Impact." A majority of our students enter the workforce after graduation.

Although we do have students that come from wealth, and those that come from prep schools, not everyone at St. Lawrence is a "prep" or "rich". I have met a lot of great people here that are down to Earth and kind-hearted.

Christine

I absolutely love SLU and am so glad that this is the school that I decided to come to. I love the fact that it's small so that you can develop really strong relationships not only with your class, but with your professors too. Everyone is super friendly and willing to help each other. When I tell people that I go to SLU, they almost always know someone that went here or goes here currently, because we have a really extensive alumni network. Even though the location is in a really rural area, there are students from all over the country and the world. The location of the school might seem like a set back because there really isn't much of a college town, but that never becomes an issue because there are always so many events going on on campus and the problem isn't trying to find something to do, but rather trying to decide which thing to do. Overall, I couldn't be happier with SLU. All of us that go here are proud to be Saints.

SLU is a really great school and I fell in love on my first visit. I have only fallen in love with it even more since I've been here. There are so many advantages to being at a small school like this and the fact that everyone is so supportive and friendly makes it hard to be away from campus.

There are so many different clubs at St. Lawrence that there is something for everyone. Many students participate in sports, whether they are intercollegiate, intramural or club sports. Soccer games are always really fun to watch. To name a few of the different clubs on campus, there is the Outing Club (centered around outdoor activities), the advocates club (advocates of sexual violence), the Campus Kitchens project (taking left over food from the dining hall or donations from local farms and stores and making meals for people in town), Reading Buddies (working with elementary school kids to help them with their reading). These are just a few of the clubs, but there are so many more, and if they don't have the one you want, you can start your own. There IS Greek life at SLU, but there isn't a lot and it's not as big of a deal as it is in other places. Most people meet their closest friends Freshman year because you live together. There are always great events going on, whether it is a band playing at the "Java Barn" where people gather to dance and hang out, or there is a comedian, or a guest speaker, or a party put on by one of the clubs...there is never a lack of things to chose from if you are bored.

The first word that came to my mind is "involved." There are so many different clubs and sports teams and people are usually involved in at least one, often times more. At St. Lawrence, the students are all interconnected and friendly with each other. Some people dress up to go to class and some chose to "go comfy" and wear sweats. No one cares what you wear, it's whatever you are comfortable with. There are always opportunities to meet other students and make new friends and people from completely different backgrounds can and do become friends. People are always happy to meet someone new and since it is such a small school, it's easy to get to know a lot of people so that you always see someone that you know on campus. Students are both easy going and hard working.

The academics are really great here. The class sizes are really small, usually around 20 students, which is fantastic because it enables you to develop real and personal connections with your professors. They make a point to learn your names and develop their relationships with their students and you never feel like just a face in the crowd of a big lecture hall. Students are encouraged to participate in classroom discussions and usually do. The academics are rigorous, and you need to study and work hard to do well, but it is very manageable. SLU offers a wide variety of classes that include all the basics as well as some really interesting ones like cross-cultural healing or dinosaurs!

I would say that there are two different stereotypes of SLU students. First, we are often thought of as "preppy." While there are definitely a lot of preppy kids here, you definitely don't have to be preppy to fit in. Second is the stereotype that we are a very "green" student body, and this one is definitely true. The vast majority of students are really "outdoorsy" and advocate for lessening our environmental impact.

Max

I love St. Lawrence. There is nothing I would change about it. Being from the midwest, not many people know about SLU and I get a lot of "where is that?" People who go to St. Lawrence love this school and there is no doubt about it.

I love St. Lawrence. If you are outgoing, motivated and love to stay busy you need to apply. I have been able to be involved with all different groups across campus all four years. Infact it is encouraged.

Students at SLU know how to study. Students at SLU also know how to play. There is a very strong work hard play hard attitude at St. Lawrence. With so many opportunities to go outside and play, I work hard all week so that I can unplug on the weekends and go hiking, climbing or paddling. Classes at SLU are awesome and the professors really facilitate that. The classes are all very small which makes discussion and class participation mandatory. If you sit in the back and don't talk, you will not succeed so you better learn to share your thoughts with others! The most unique class I have taken at SLU was a class titled 'Neanderthals'. Unfortunately they do not offer it any more. We would read papers and articles discussing early humans and our class final was learning how to make ancient knives out of stones with which we butchered a sheep and then cooked it for dinner. WILD!! My favorite class I have taken was called "Ecology of Lakes and Rivers". It was a field based class doing all sorts of sampling of lakes and rivers in St. Lawrence county. We got to learn lots of very valuable skills, many of which I have been able to apply during internships. The class also pushed me towards a career as I now want to get involved with Fishery Management and stream and lake ecology.

At St. Lawrence we have two very distinct sterotypes. We have 'lax bros' and 'Crunchy outdoorsy folks'. There is a very strong preppy lax bro type at St. Lawrence but there is also a group of people who love to be outside. It is a great balance and by no means causes conflict. There are more sterotypes I am sure but I think those two are the most dominant. Either way, St. Lawrence students are very active and both groups of people and even everyone at St. Lawrence takes advantage of being outside and active. It is one of the big reasons I love St. Lawrence.

Caitlin

The size, location and type of student body creates a tight-knit community that is unique to St. Lawrence!

College is most simply a resource to earn a degree with which you can pursue a more established job in the future. My college experience will give me this and so much more than I could imagine. St. Lawrence is a place where you can flourish as a student, coworker, friend and neighbor. Emerson wrote, "to be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment." St. Lawrence gives students opportunities to explore and help define themselves, while establishing that individuality is encouraged. The tight-knit community of the student body, remote location of the school, and small number of students allows everyone to interact with one another, no matter their differences. I have discovered who I am through my college experience, and have learned the importance of individuality in everything I do!

Students who look for a tight-knit community, dedicated to their work, and eager to learn and have fun!

St Lawrence University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.